Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #1000 - 08/13/11 at 17:41:02

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1001 - 08/13/11 at 19:03:44

You all, with your highfalutin music. I'm down here with the plebeian masses. Gettin' greasy.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Rollin
Verified Member

Reply #1002 - 08/14/11 at 02:12:12

What's streaming, to be acurate, right now to see if I want to buy. Liking it so far:

-- Decware Torii #14 --
Speakers:Turning Point Audio HR-ONE's in Red
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1003 - 08/14/11 at 02:48:30

Rollin, Go ahead and buy it. I was shamed into listening to it and felt like a fool when I found out how good it is.

IP Logged
Rollin
Verified Member

Reply #1004 - 08/14/11 at 02:59:48

Yup, on the 8th track via Spotify, very enjoyable and should be amazing at full rez. (I'm only free version of Spotfiy so not a high rez stream).
Learned of this album on TONEAudio after following the link from the Torii Mk III review thread and downloading magazines.

-- Decware Torii #14 --
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1005 - 08/14/11 at 16:54:22

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1006 - 08/16/11 at 23:45:27

Long hair dirty hippy music.

IP Logged
Rollin
Verified Member

Reply #1007 - 08/18/11 at 04:54:05

Keep coming back to this one, just so good, not over produced, just raw music sounding:

B Collision or (B is for Banjo), or (B sides), or (Bill), or perhaps more accurately (...the eschatology of Bluegrass)

-- Decware Torii #14 --
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1008 - 08/19/11 at 00:21:11

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1009 - 08/20/11 at 15:46:19

Donny Osmond!
I just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1010 - 08/20/11 at 20:30:28

Okay, hope you were playing it LOUD!

Lon (from Bay Village, OH) (My brother's wedding today was great, but something is wroing with my Dad and I'm having a really hard time getting him to make an appointment with the doctor. Wish me luck. He's as stubborn as I am.)

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1011 - 08/20/11 at 23:17:14

"Puppy Love" as loud as can be achieved with a Torii and MG944's. Head bangin' stuff!
Do what you have to do to get your father to the DR's. I lost my father almost 20 years ago and a day doesn't go by that I don't wish that he was here.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1012 - 08/21/11 at 11:08:41

I'm doing what I can but he's being very stubborn. There's a house ful of guests and he just won't go til after all these wedding events are over with, or even make an appointment. He's stubborn and he's in charge. I'm working at it as well as I can with my sister's help.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1013 - 08/24/11 at 00:44:33

My old standby, James McMurtry. Not his strongest offering, but still pretty damn good.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1014 - 08/25/11 at 01:23:24

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1015 - 08/26/11 at 21:08:55

Not so great, OK I guess. I guess that my so so review won't make it or break it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1016 - 08/26/11 at 21:38:42

Nice cover photo though, nice Gretsch.

Right now, the new version.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1017 - 08/27/11 at 00:54:07

My wife asked me to play this. She is a big gospel fan and this is what I would call pop gospel.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1018 - 08/27/11 at 03:27:02

I hear ya. I love Mavis Staples. Last night I listened to the two cds that Prince produced for her.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1019 - 08/27/11 at 14:08:12

[/url]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1020 - 08/27/11 at 16:24:30

From the three cd set of the complete work of this ensemble.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1021 - 08/27/11 at 17:29:32

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1022 - 08/27/11 at 17:52:31

Cranked. I can really crank with this PS Audio PerfectWave combo, which is sounding amazing since I returned from my trip (had a cd running in it all the eleven days I was away; I'm pretty sure it and all the cabling are now broken in--awesome sound, sound I never thought I'd have).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1023 - 08/27/11 at 23:40:24

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1024 - 08/28/11 at 02:33:24

Warren Zevon and REM doing Prince. What else need to be said.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #1025 - 08/28/11 at 02:47:52

6 ERRs, a slew of Decware valve love, and a recording that sounds like it was made for surround.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1026 - 08/28/11 at 03:28:32

Pale, What is that album? I at first thought that it was "Dark Side of the Moon" but no that isn't the cover. My ablity to read Japanese is non-existant, so could you help a brother out?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1027 - 08/28/11 at 15:05:32

I sure thought it was DSOTM (which I avoid hearing whenever possible).

Right now

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #1028 - 08/28/11 at 16:43:52

Fantastic double album of "Works Song" and "That's right!"

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #1029 - 08/28/11 at 16:47:45

Not surprising that DSOTM "sounds like it was made for surround." because it was, remember quadrophonic recordings?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #1030 - 08/28/11 at 17:25:49

Donnie, it is the SACD in 5.1 of DSOTM. While I know many deride PF, I am a confirmed fan. DSOTM is not my favorite of theirs, or even my second or third, but the SACD is in 5.1, and on my rig, that is not to be passed up.  If you avoid listening to it, you're definitely not going to hear what can make it special. Wink

Rap, I remember quadraphonic well, heh, painfully well. Some of that stuff was awful. But are you sure DSOTM was made for quadrophonic? That is not my recollection, and it's not quite what is reflected in this Wikipedia article. It was recorded multi-track, and on quad-capable equipment, and there was in fact a quadraphonic re-mix (which Parsons apparently did not like). But I think it is too strong a conclusion to say it was made for surround.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1031 - 08/28/11 at 17:31:13

Greg, I'm not myself deriding Pink Floyd, but DSOTM was played constantly on the radio, at friends' places and in their cars, at parties etc. for the unhappiest decade of my life and I just can't bear to hear it any longer. I think Pink Floyd is a great band and full of talented musicians but The Wall (and especially the movie) just depressed the living hell out of me, and I steered myself away from their recordings after that. DOSTM is a brilliant work that was simply overplayed for me in the wrong contexts. On occasion I'll listen to their earlier albums, pre-Parsons.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1032 - 08/28/11 at 18:49:56

Sorry guys, I didn't know that there would be such a heated argument about Pink Floyd. I guess I handn't ever noticed the building in the background of the album cover.
My take on the whole Pink Floyd thing is that DSOTM sounds kind of old fashioned to me now, I really like "WIsh You Were Here" and "The Wall', "Animals" is OK, the stuff before DSOTM is too hippy-trippy for my taste, and after "The Wall" is OKish. Unlike Lon  the late 70's early 80's was a pretty good time in my life. It was the 90's that sucked.
I really like the discussion of different music though. So much of the time it just seems like Lon and I are just going back and forth on what we are playing. And Lon is the king of music listening, I bow down to his might.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1033 - 08/28/11 at 20:28:56

What?  I'm the king of nothing!  :) I just have a lot of time on my hands and listening is how I fill the time, and buying music is how I spend my money. Wish it weren't so. . . have to talk myself into the job hunt soon.

DSOTM hit when I had returned from Africa to rural Ohio and I just was miserable. Fell into the wrong crowd and didn't even feel I fit in at all. Was in the shadow of my magnificent father who was the minister of the church on the town square, and everyone was scrutinizing me and what I did reflected on him to his and my chagrin. My family wanted me to stay THERE, I didn't but I ddi for too long Then I moved to Texas and for a handful of years I was just as out of place, only poorer, and somehow during all that time DOSTM was EVERYWHERE and hearing it brings me back to these times, where I'd rather not revisit.

Waters' vision of alienated horror in The Wall just creeped me out, I had my own alienations to deal with, but his seemed mysogenistic and cruel, and I was turned way off by it. (I should never have gone to see the movie). About that time I had really started to get into jazz and following the great traditions of jazz and blues and R&B, THE American music for me, the music that most speaks to me, and I just never followed Pink Floyd after The Wall. I can get into the hippy dippy stuff. . . I was a hippy dippy myself during those years in Ohio and understand that scene and sound.

Right now, one of my favorites!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1034 - 08/28/11 at 22:53:01

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1035 - 08/28/11 at 23:34:30

Wow, that is from back when only Paul was dead.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1036 - 08/29/11 at 00:04:17

Yup. it was all downhill from there. Smiley

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1037 - 08/29/11 at 03:51:06

One of my all-time favorites. I'm listening to the Japanese RVG lp facsimile version.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1038 - 08/29/11 at 15:40:23

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #1039 - 08/29/11 at 15:44:41

DSOTM was an interesting time in my life. Having previously grown up in rural Wisconsin, which was a great time, my family moved to Macon, GA in 1971, a not so great time. But I was introduced to The Allman Brothers that way, so, silver lining and all that.

Never was a fan of Floyd before DSOTM, but I became one. WYWH is one amazing album, but I also like a lot of the others, including the Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason. The kind of stuff I hear in my head, so to speak, when I listen to Porcupine Tree.

But heh, I agree, Lon is king. And so in that honor, a little mediaeval guitar rock from that era—even if it was all downhill after Abby Road—including The King Will Come:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1040 - 08/29/11 at 15:54:50

That's a pretty fine Wishbone Ash album. Should dig my cd up and listen soon.

Not the king, but at least I'm not a demi-god like Randy! Smiley

Right now, the fascinating third disc of this three cd box set.

Miles Davis - Complete In A Silent Way Sessions

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #1041 - 08/29/11 at 20:17:21

Just received the new Japanese SACD of Hotel California. I have this on DVD-A, CD, and I believe I still have my vinyl. This is one nice recording, and I like the 5.1 mix:

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1042 - 08/29/11 at 23:12:50

The anti-Hotel California

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #1043 - 08/30/11 at 21:01:03

no, Pail Rider (mind if we call you Clint? Wink ) I'm not totaly sure but qouting your source, in the part about the release :

"As the quadraphonic mix of the album was not yet complete, the band (with the exception of Wright) boycotted the press reception held at the London Planetarium on 27 February.[75] The guests were, instead, presented with a quartet of life-sized cardboard cut-outs of the band, and the stereo mix of the album was presented through a poor-quality public address system."

Seems to me that Quadrophonic was the intention all along (seem to recall it being said in an interview with Gilmore in a program about the album.) But I might be reading it wrong and remembering incorrectly.

I have the DSOTM on Sacd but I don't like surround sound though the footsteps walking behind you are good but for music in general I think surround is pretty odd.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #1044 - 08/30/11 at 21:31:37

Right now a gem:

First edition on vinyl picked up in Stockholm of all places.

p.s My plan of going vinyl and saving money can firmly be placed in the "fail" draw of my bright ideas.  :'(

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1045 - 08/30/11 at 21:59:53

Disc the second (with phase inverted, sounds right that way)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1046 - 08/30/11 at 23:08:05

(Via the Mosaic Select)

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #1047 - 08/31/11 at 00:02:54

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1048 - 08/31/11 at 00:28:51

(Via the Mosaic Select)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1049 - 08/31/11 at 14:09:47

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 512
Send Topic Print