Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1847276 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #12700 - 02/18/17 at 09:29:28

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12701 - 02/18/17 at 10:05:36

CD 2 of 3...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12702 - 02/18/17 at 12:41:51

CD #1 of this set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12703 - 02/18/17 at 14:06:54

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12704 - 02/18/17 at 15:12:37

Well, this is the second copy of this I've purchased...I think the first is a Mono, this is a Stereo.  Both are far too noisy.  I'm thinking I need to buy the Speakers Corner reissue...  Oh, by the way, I've moved to the Cave and Vinyl...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12705 - 02/18/17 at 15:41:57

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12706 - 02/18/17 at 16:16:21

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12707 - 02/18/17 at 16:35:06

opps...forgot to listen to side two of that last one  :)

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12708 - 02/18/17 at 17:40:29

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #12709 - 02/18/17 at 18:16:49

Dave Weckl /Transition

51VBmwlM6L__AC_US360_QL65_.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12710 - 02/18/17 at 18:53:46

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12711 - 02/18/17 at 19:00:13

On Prestige this 1972 2fer has RVG remastering his own recordings  :) Brilliant job Ruudi ! So clear and real.
The albums are the `cookin` and `relaxin` albums. Mono.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12712 - 02/18/17 at 19:15:12

I don't have that one Syd but I have the Analogue Productions reissues that are real nice.  The most recent Miles LP I bought is the Live "My Funny Valentine" LP reissue from MFSL... Just amazing.  You really should get it before it's out of print. I think I'll have a listen now Smiley Mark.

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-My-Funny-Valentine-Miles-Davis-In-Concert/re...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12713 - 02/18/17 at 19:48:06

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12714 - 02/18/17 at 19:50:15

I`ve had the MFV live ordered on a pre-order for 2 yrs Mark. I keep meaning to phone them.

I`ve just fired an e-mail off to them.

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #12715 - 02/18/17 at 19:55:54

Roy Hargrove / Public Eye

21G6X17GTVL__AC_US160_.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12716 - 02/18/17 at 20:03:16

Yes Syd, I didn't  preorder but had it on my wish list so when it came out I got it.  The MFSL "Kind Of Blue" set is another must have. Also the Complete Bill Evans albums set is going to be put out again by Analogue Productions, this time on 200gm Vinyl.  I do have that one on preorder with a 10% discount that was in place when I ordered the 180gm set but it was never delivered.  Mark.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Bill-Evans-Riverside-Recordings-200g-45rpm-22LP-Box-S...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12717 - 02/18/17 at 20:27:53

A couple of sides from..

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12718 - 02/19/17 at 17:41:42

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12719 - 02/19/17 at 18:20:19

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12720 - 02/19/17 at 18:34:34

Rhiannon Giddens, "Factory Girl" (EP, Nonesuch Records)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12721 - 02/19/17 at 18:57:50

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12722 - 02/19/17 at 18:59:34

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12723 - 02/19/17 at 19:38:08

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12724 - 02/19/17 at 19:39:38

LP #1 of 2...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12725 - 02/19/17 at 20:47:58

And then I saw her face. I was looking through discs, saw this, and put it in the player. I could not resist.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12726 - 02/19/17 at 21:51:34

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12727 - 02/20/17 at 14:10:10

Nice way to start the day....Art and Hot Coffee...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12728 - 02/20/17 at 14:32:03

Another Charles Lloyd LP.  As you may have noticed, I've been playing more of him lately.  I bought a Lot of his albums for $17.50 shipped.  Some aren't in the greatest shape but they are as advertised ...VG or better. The 5 LPs included two I didn't have yet....

PS...this one is in great shape VG++ maybe M-

Love these extended live tunes...with Keith Jarrett and Jack DeJohnette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qyDE0kp0AU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u0lubvuPdk

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12729 - 02/20/17 at 15:23:48

Yes, those are all good ones. I have these now in the recent 24 bit remastered series of cds from Warner Japan, they sound really good.

Right now
Starting off my first anniversary with some music I have loved a long time.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12730 - 02/20/17 at 15:32:45

This is one of this month's new Music Matters reissues.  This 33 RPM Blue Note reissue series ends next month I believe...only 2 or 3 left.  I have about 3 dozen of these from 3 years...I only didn't buy a couple...probably should have bought those too.  They say that's it for the series...no more.  I keep checking their website for plans for other reissues but none found yet.  These are all great...remastered by Kevin  Gray at a revamped Coherent Studio. How about some Coltrane Quartet on Impulse please?  Mark.

PS...from their website...the poop on the Studio rewire...

Upgrading Connections at COHEARENT!

It goes without saying that there are many controversies and debates in the perfectionist audio/LP collector market.

But one area of near universal agreement is the quality of mastering that emerges from Kevin Gray's custom-built mastering studio in North Hills, CA. Kevin has provided many of the best sounding new and reissued albums on LP during the last 5 or 6 years working out of his studio.

When Ron and I agreed that Kevin was the Engineer we wanted to do the transfers for our Music Matters Blue Note reissue program I began to think about the connectivity issue at Kevin's studio. As VP of product development at AudioQuest since 1983, the knowledge that cables make a difference is hardly new to me!

An inspection of the facility revealed adequate wiring (mostly from Canare I believe) but hardly the stuff of audiophile dreams. As great as the output of Grays Equipment has been, I knew we could push the performance of this system significantly higher by improving the wiring of both the line level connections as well as the many AC cables in the chain. Kevin quickly agreed to give it a try.

The improvement we heard (by comparing before and after acetates) was substantial. It was clear that we had made a significant improvement to the facility. Through my many years at AQ (Bill Low and I shipped out of his garage back when I started at AQ in 1983) I have become quite familiar with the kind of musically important improvements that can be made when the cabling is made to be more of what it should be.....a sonically "invisible" conduit to the source.

After hearing the difference the AudioQuest cable made in his mastering set up, Kevin Gray had this to say: "I found the change with the AudioQuest cable to be subtle at first. It didn't really change tonality like many other cables I have auditioned. What it DID do is allow you to hear further INTO the music. Subtle directional and spatial cues became clearer and more defined without brightening or hardening the sound. I really appreciate this. So many cables I have heard tend to harden or soften one area of the frequency spectrum and everyone goes ‘Ooh, ahh!'. I don't want that. I just want definition. AudioQuest offers the finest sense of that I have ever heard."

The sonic results of this improvement are being heard not only on the Music Matters series of Blue Note reissues, but everything coming out of Cohearent Studio. Ron and I naturally decided not to make the improved wire a "Music Matters only" feature. After all, we are music lovers first and foremost.

We think you will be quite pleased with the improvement we have managed to squeeze out of an already state of the art mastering facility.

With the music in mind...
Joe and Ron
Music Matters Ltd.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12731 - 02/20/17 at 15:58:26

This is a 2008 200 gm 33 RPM reissue from Classic Records.  I looked at music matters website and there are many more great Blue Notes that were issued on 45 RPM, 2 LP versions.  I had hoped they would all be reissued in 33 RPM but I guess it is not to be...I'll have to start picking more of them up.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12732 - 02/20/17 at 16:48:38

This is the first reissue pressed at Quality Record pressings in 2011 for Analogue Productions...it's a 33 RPM version, they have since reissued it in 45 RPM too.  Great sound.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12733 - 02/20/17 at 17:17:40

I think this is an original 1957 Mono copy of this...in amazing VG+ or better condition...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12734 - 02/20/17 at 18:51:27

Finished the first and started the second which is another recent Music Matters 33 RPM reissue...amazing...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12735 - 02/20/17 at 19:26:01

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12736 - 02/20/17 at 19:27:09

I'm sure those BN reissued LPs sound great. I've been enjoying the reissued cds from Japan of those titles a lot.

Right now my last bit of music for today probably, going out to a celebratory dinner and movie.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12737 - 02/20/17 at 23:31:20

Back to Music.  Now with the Monoblocks and those "new" 1962 Amperex white label 6922s.  This CD first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12738 - 02/21/17 at 00:08:05

CD #2 of this set...mostly Giant Steps tunes and alternates...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12739 - 02/21/17 at 01:32:12

CD #1 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12740 - 02/21/17 at 17:23:50

Geez...come on people...Music!  :)  CD #3 of this set.  Sure sounds good with the 1962 White Label Amperex 6922s.  This is a particularly Hot recording so it is a real test for input tubes.  I think the 6922s are warmer than the Amperex 7308s but who knows since I never get around to A/B-ing.  But this CD sounds nice.  Next will come some Coltrane from this Box that was "missing" for months...found it under a mountain of Crap....haha.  Will play CD #1...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12741 - 02/21/17 at 18:23:48

Hey Lon, this weekend I was reading old posts on tubes and ran across one on Rectifiers.  They were all gaga over the Mullard GZ 32 in the small Zen Amps.  You pointed out how much you liked the RCA 5V4G...the USA equivalent. Long story short...I just bought a pair for $30 shipped...1957s from Dealer Stock of a retired repairman.  They are said to be NOS but who knows...the test looks ok and the tubes beautiful...I'll let you know how they do in the monoblocks.  Have you tried one in the CSP2+?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12742 - 02/21/17 at 18:48:29

Yes, I have tried one in the CSP2+ and in the ZP3 and in the Taboo Mk III. I still prefer the 5Y3 (bottle type now) in the CSP2+ and the ZP3--they seem more "accurate" to me, and I find that an old RCA 5R4 works great in the Taboo. . . . But I love those 5V4 like those you are buying in the Torii Mk III. Just the right balance with my other tubes of warmth and detail, just the right forgiveness and still giving realism and dynamics. (I'm using the coin based output tubes now).

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12743 - 02/21/17 at 19:05:01

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12744 - 02/21/17 at 19:11:38

Lon, I hadn't thought about using the 5V4Gs in the Torrii MK IV.  I have a pair of WW II Ken Rad 5U4Gs in there since they arrived with the Monoblocks I bought used.  Maybe a brief trial.  I have never tried anything but the 5Y3G in the ZP3 but the small tubes have been extensively rolled. I do need to try something else in the CSP3.  The Valve Art 274B that came with it has ringed on occasion for years. I'll see if I have a spare 5Y3G. If not I'll buy one. Thanks, Mark.

PS... do you mean the Russian Coin based Output tubes?  For a while I used some Russian coin based 1960 Photons...I also bought the cheaper type too but never used them. Once I resolved the high end hotness in my system, I went back to the RFT EL-34s...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12745 - 02/21/17 at 19:24:37

Yes, I am using these.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_80&products_id=335&osCs...

Once broken in these just have the right balance for me.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12746 - 02/21/17 at 19:54:34

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12747 - 02/21/17 at 20:06:52

Yup those are the newer Quad I bought from the reflector plant...I haven't used them.  The older 1960's quad from the Photon plant are what I used for a while...they were very nice.  I looked, my Ukraine seller has the reflector quads...non cryoed..for 69.99 plus shipping that's about $15.  So your source is a better deal for anyone interested in trying them now.  When I bought mine on 2/28/2015, Cryoset was out of stock...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12748 - 02/21/17 at 20:29:10

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12749 - 02/21/17 at 20:50:56

Man this sounds great with the 6922's...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 ... 512
Send Topic Print