Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1847318 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #12750 - 02/21/17 at 21:16:50

Ok, the album was too short so one more Laura...this is an Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD remastered by Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12751 - 02/21/17 at 22:50:32

I just read something about cathode stripping and fast start rectifiers like the 5U4G damaging tubes in your Amp.  Please tell me that Steve's design has a slow start to counteract this.  This XRCD next...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12752 - 02/21/17 at 22:54:49

Don't believe there is, I think it's whatever "start" mode the tube is built with.

I don't think those tubes are hurting the amp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12753 - 02/22/17 at 00:17:28

This is what i read followed by the next CD...

A problem caused by directly heated or filamentary cathode rectifiers is known as cathode stripping. Cathode stripping is a highly technical issue, but the basics of it are this: Filamentary Cathode rectifier tubes like 5R4, 5U4, 274B etc can deliver full DC levels only FIVE seconds after powering up an amp in which they are installed. In contrast, it takes TWELVE seconds, more or less, for the input tubes (12AX7, 12AU7, 6SN7 etc) and the output tubes (KT88, EL34 etc) to even BEGIN conducting this DC voltage.. so there are about 7 seconds where full DC levels are applied to the power supply capacitors and the audio input and output tubes… and these tubes are not ready to use/conduct this DC voltage. Thus, when the audio tubes do begin to conduct current at ca. twelve seconds after the amplifier is turned on, the 5U4/5R4 type rectifiers have already been charging the entire circuit with full DC current/voltage levels for 6-7 seconds. This difference in warm-up time causes a huge transient surge of current and electron emission in the cathodes of the input and output tubes as these audio tubes begin emitting electrons and thus conducting current— The audio tubes essentially are “slammed” by the full DC levels that have been present for several seconds before they were able to conduct current. These extreme transient currents and emission levels at the moment when the audio tubes begin to emit electrons and thus conduct current causes cumulative damage to the cathode. This cumulative damage gradually begins “stripping” precious cathode emulsion away as small amounts of the cathode emulsion are literally boiled off the cathode during the brief but intense current spike as the audio tubes first reach operating temperature some 7 seconds later than a filamentary cathode rectifier reaches operating temperature. The damage is rather small each time, but over the course of hundreds of turn-on cycles when the amplifier is powered up it cumulatively contributes to an early death for expensive audio tubes.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12754 - 02/22/17 at 00:42:55

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12755 - 02/22/17 at 02:00:26

Well that's interesting. I think Steve would be concerned about that if true to this extent and either compensated for it in his designs or would have cautioned owners about the use of expensive tubes. . . .

I don't know. Would be interesting to hear his viewpoint or the viewpoints of those far more in the know than I am. . ..

My wife is off work today. . . no music for me!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12756 - 02/22/17 at 16:59:38

Disc 1.

Sound is great. Music is more than great!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12757 - 02/22/17 at 17:31:30

Back at you Lon... Wink  This is a four CD set with a March 22 concert with John Coltrane and an October 13 concert with Sonny Stitt...both 1960. Same tour as yours.  Playing CD #1 with Coltrane...the sound is remarkably good for a 1992 CD of a 1960 Live recording.  Oh, I bought a third 5V4G tube for $10 shipped...I'll try it in the Taboo MK III and CSP3...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12758 - 02/22/17 at 17:35:31

Nice news about the tube. Yes, I bought that four cd set when it first came out in '92, I bought every Miles thing I saw in those days as the "less official" ones disappeared rapidly, pass it by you may not see one again for years. This one though is an "official release" and been in print most of the time since (DIW in Japan also released this set). Great music. It's nice to have both Trane and Stitt in the recordings, these shows with each are different.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12759 - 02/22/17 at 18:00:25

Well, I was hoping I had the set you're listening to but couldn't find it but did find a 1 CD of the Same Coltrane set played April 8, 1960 in Zurrich one day before the Coltrane set in your set...same set exactly even the order of the tunes is the same... I'll have to look for that one you have if the sound is so good.  Was it recorded for radio broadcast?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12760 - 02/22/17 at 19:41:01

Yes, the Amsterdam shows were recorded for radio broadcast and the sound is as good as the Stockholm sets, well-recorded and preserved.

They were put out by the Radio Archive of Netherlands themselves from the master tape, and that's the two cd set I was listening to. They have also been "booted" on a much cheaper set that includes one other show from Holland, with Stitt, on a third cd:

The boot sounds pretty much identical to the official release that came out a year before it or so. Both can be found on amazon, one much more expensive than the other. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12761 - 02/22/17 at 19:43:52

Speaking of jazz shows in Holland that are well-recorded I'm listening to this one:

I love the late recordings of the Ellington Orchestra when they are "on." This band really knew how to express the joy of playing and entertaining for people, and they had a goofy swing at times that really gets under my skin.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12762 - 02/22/17 at 19:58:49

Lon, I also have the March 1960 and October 1960 concert CD's from Paris in single digipaks...I thought you might like the below list of the European Tour dates in 1960.  I'll stick with the best sounding product.  I'll watch for the one you have.  I find if the recording isn't acceptable I'll move on to one that is.  Especially with these 1960 concerts...there are so many to choose from...Just my quick look I've found 7 well recorded CDs that I've got...probably more crummy boots I've forgotten.

Miles Davis 5   L'Olympia, Paris, France, Mar. 21, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 1st concert, Mar. 22, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 2nd concert, Mar. 22, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Tivolis Koncertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark, Mar. 24, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Kongresshalle, Frankfurt/Main, W. Germany, Mar. 30, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Kongresshaus, Zurich, Switzerland, Apr. 8, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Kurhaus, Scheveningen, Netherlands, 1st set, Apr. 9, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Kurhaus, Scheveningen, Netherlands, 2nd set, Apr. 9, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England, Sep. 27, 1960
Miles Davis 5   L'Olympia, Paris, France, Oct. 11, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 1st concert 1st set, Oct. 13, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 1st concert 2nd set, Oct. 13, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 2nd concert 1st set, Oct. 13, 1960
Miles Davis 5   Konserthuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 2nd concert 2nd set, Oct. 13, 1960

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12763 - 02/22/17 at 20:03:48

This now...you may have sold this to me...Of course, I'd prefer acoustic piano and bass  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12764 - 02/22/17 at 20:04:53

I have all of those, and I know there is at least one more and possibly more than one. I think with the addition of the Amsterdam you would have the best sounding. But they are all in my collection and I do listen to them, the sound is not really bad on even the worst of them.

And yes I think you bought the Hubbard from me. That's the best digital version of that I've heard

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12765 - 02/22/17 at 20:32:36

Here is the list of appearances in that tour as chronicled on the best Miles Davis website I know:

March 22, 1960      Konserthuset - Stockholm, Sweden      
March 24, 1960      Tivoli Konsertsal - Copenhagen, Denmark      
March 28, 1960      Apollo Theatre (WDR Studio) - Düsseldorf, Germany  (MD absent)
March 30, 1960      Kongresshalle  Miles Davis Quintet
April 3, 1960      Kongress-Saal, Deutsches Museum - Munich, Germany      
April 8, 1960      Kongresshaus - Zürich, Switzerland      
April 9, 1960      Kurhaus - Scheveningen, The Netherlands      
April 9-10, 1960      Concertgebouw - Amsterdam, The Netherlands      
September 27, 1960      Free Trade Hall - Manchester, United Kingdom      
October 11, 1960      Olympia Theatre - Paris, France      
October 13, 1960      Konserthuset - Stockholm, Sweden      
October 15-16, 1960      Concertgebouw - Amsterdam, The Netherlands      

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?d=6

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12766 - 02/22/17 at 20:38:52

That link is in the Vault. I found three of the Paris digipaks...can't find part one of the October 11, 1960 set...and I can't remember if I bought it.  Argh...

PS...and like you, I'll probably just buy it again. haha

Anyway, some early Coltrane...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12767 - 02/22/17 at 20:53:23

This morning I was googling to find a users manual for the Monoblocks.  I didn't find it but did find the original site write up for it.  They were sold for $2295 in 2008.  The new version with the UFO and Copper foil Jupiter caps are $1195 each...$2395 for a pair.  If I didn't already have mine, I'd be snapping up a pair before the price goes up.  They get far more use than my Torii.

I was trying to find out the purpose of the dual on off switches...the ZP3 also has them.  Also I have three more inputs that I'm not sure about...maybe two are outputs....here look at the pics of my Amps.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-decware-se84zsm-monoblocks-with-ckc-mod-j...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12768 - 02/22/17 at 20:58:48

On the ZP3 one is a "stand-by" switch that keeps everything warmed up but not outputting a signal. I imagine that is how it would be on the Zen amps as well.

If I didn't have a large room to fill I'd probably love the sound from the new UFO version. But I needed more power than a Rachel so I think I'd need more than the UFO Monos. So many great amps that Decware offers!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12769 - 02/22/17 at 21:07:39

So the standby would keep everything but the Tubes on?  So Caps, resistors and wires warm?  I've just been treating the two switches as one. I never leave them on once I leave the room or house.

Also these little Amps...mine are rated at 2.3 and the new ones at 2.7 WPC...sound much louder than you would expect...something about a choke?  I'll see if I can find what Steve said again.  Louder than the Mini Torii and Rachel is what I remember...I don't know if I buy that but it is much louder than my Taboo MK III with speakers.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12770 - 02/22/17 at 21:11:52

This CD now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12771 - 02/22/17 at 21:15:56

Well, yes, tubes are warm too but not fully powered.

I am pretty sure that the Monos wouldn't have the juice to give me the headroom I need. If this were only an audio system, perhaps yes, but it's also a video system and to work that way for my wife I need the power of the Torii. I have had the Eddie Vaughn modified C amp in this room with these speakers and it just doesn't have enough power, and that has more power than the Taboo with these speakers.

I can't afford more amps anyway and I LOVE my Torii Mk III and in part because of the fantastic sound the tone controls let me have. So I'm beyond the moon with what i have. If Steve could put these tone controls on a ZMA I would probably save up to try one. . . but he told me he can't.  And he told me that unless I was prepared to also get a ZTPre and go balanced all the way from source to preamp to amp I really wouldn't get an audio upgrade worth the cost (I'm paraphrasing him I believe). And that's a lot of cost!

Right now
Disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12772 - 02/22/17 at 21:24:43

oooo...Scary, I just pulled that Evans set too.  Yes I agree.  If I could only have one Amp, it'd be the Torii but I love the monoblocks for less intense listening. I wish I had the controls you have on the MK III...my treble control on the MK IV seems to do nothing...I think it's only like 3 dB.  Anyway, I've got things under control.  I would never get the ZMA...sounds like it's less forgiving than the Torii and to me more "resolving" and more "detail" isn't always a good thing  :)

PS...Damn, now I can't find the Columbia Box Set with all the Miles Live recordings...will I ever get organized?  NO!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12773 - 02/22/17 at 21:30:27

I'm sort of in agreement. You really have to work hard to get "resolving" and "more detailed" to work for a lot of recordings, it takes great cabling, isolation control, electrical power, etc. and I have that but I listen to a lot of mediocre recordings and that slight forgiveness the Torii has is welcome. And yes, these tone controls are something I can't do without now.

This last month the sound has inched forward even more. The only real change I've made is moving to another type of output tube as the speakers are a bit closer to the back wall than I want them to be but compromising is good, and I've added more of Herbie's Audio Lab dampers for interconnects on all interconnects and also on HDMI and coaxial and optical cables. I think they've made a subtle difference towards letting in a bit more detail in a musical way.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12774 - 02/22/17 at 21:38:40

I have to tell you Lon, these 1962 White Label Amperex 6922s have really impressed me.  I think the 7308s may be more detailed but something about these really gets me.  Maybe a bit warmer or rolled off on top...not sure.  I've never been good at describing what I hear.

PS...I have a second pair on the way and then I'll move this "broken in" pair to the Torii for a spin.  It will be the first time the White Label Amperex 7308s have been pulled since I put them in years ago.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12775 - 02/22/17 at 22:09:27

This is what Steve said in the write up for the 2008 Monos...

"The new SE84ZMS monoblocks evolved to use a single tube per channel because in the end this was the most transparent.  Even though it's predecessor had 4 watts from paralleled output tubes, the new amplifiers actually get louder and are more dynamic from the benefits of a choke regulated high impedance pure polypropylene film and foil power supply and tube voltage regulation of the input stage."  

https://www.decware.com/newsite/monos.htm

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12776 - 02/22/17 at 22:35:37

Cool. I find the Amperex 7308 have lots of life left to them, and I'm not trying any other tubes in those spots til I have to. Likewise the Valvo CCa tubes in my CSP2+ seem just right for the job and aren't moving.

Even if it's more than four watts those Monos won't be enough for my living/dining room, and I will never listen near field again if I don't have to. Did that for about ten years and that was enough. I love the sound of a larger room and to be further from the speakers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12777 - 02/22/17 at 23:08:27

Right now,
I like Al Hibbler. First time Lucy heard this she laughed and said "that's old and corny."

The second time she was swaying along with it!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12778 - 02/23/17 at 00:18:11

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12779 - 02/23/17 at 01:48:45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12780 - 02/23/17 at 20:06:22

Getting ready for the triple album.

These "standards" albums aren't the best Dylan. . .but I confess I really love the arrangements and the playing on these.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12781 - 02/23/17 at 21:26:41

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12782 - 02/23/17 at 21:33:53

This release is often panned but I've always liked it. This is the latest Sony budget reissue from Japan (uses the DSD mastering from 2001 that was used on the Sony SACD). Sounds very good. Includes "Time of the Barricudas" (which was not on the original LP).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12783 - 02/23/17 at 22:06:08

Disc 2 of this part of the July 1978 box set.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12784 - 02/23/17 at 23:05:49

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12785 - 02/24/17 at 00:47:15

CD #6...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12786 - 02/24/17 at 13:03:44

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12787 - 02/24/17 at 13:53:26

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12788 - 02/24/17 at 14:48:26

Lon, I know you're not here yet but wanted to let you know I have the RCA 5V4Gs in the Monoblocks and they do sound nice...this CD isn't one I've listened to recently so maybe the recording?  Yesterday I put in the second pair of Amperex 6922s, so it's likely the four "new" tubes need to burn in a bit to get the best out of them.  So far great though.

Also, I've been reading a little more on "Cathode Stripping" and you'll be glad to know the 5V4Gs are slow start unlike the 5U4G and 5Y3G, so they won't shorten the life of your tubes.  Apparently there's a lot out there about switching to the 5V4Gs from 5Y3Gs for this reason in Guitar Amps.

Listening to CD two of this set...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12789 - 02/24/17 at 14:52:32

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12790 - 02/24/17 at 15:11:09

Well, I knew that the 5V4 were slow start, the slow starting on the amp is a sure give away!

Glad you are really enjoying the sound so far.
I really don't feel that 5Y3 and 5U4 are seriously damaging tubes in our amps.

Right now
Decided to listen to a few of the Bethlehem Records reissues that Solid Records in Japan put out there or so years ago. . . .

followed by

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12791 - 02/24/17 at 17:12:07

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12792 - 02/24/17 at 18:34:36

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12793 - 02/24/17 at 18:46:15

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12794 - 02/24/17 at 19:18:42

Lon wrote on 02/24/17 at 18:34:36:

Wow this is so good I'm playing it again.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12795 - 02/24/17 at 20:16:30

PS...Well, I may be fooling myself but this is the best this "Hot" CD has sounded on the Monoblocks...never tried it with the Torii.  So I guess these RCA 5V4Gs further cooled it.  The Amperex 6922s also seemed to do a bit of cooling so the combo is smooth...errrr.   Smiley  

One minor problem, one of the rectifiers is a little noisy, I'm hoping it clears with burn in. It's only slightly noticeable from the listening position at listening volume.  I have a third one on the way so may switch it out if it doesn't improve.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12796 - 02/24/17 at 21:28:38

Nice....

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12797 - 02/24/17 at 22:01:54

I finally have the Miles " My F V in concert " on the way Mark. Bit of a cheek really as they charged me another £8 because the price has gone up since I ordered it. Post Brexit he said. lol.

ps I`m bidding on the companion Miles 2fer `Working and steaming`. Red cover. That`ll be all four of his Prestige albums from that period.
Mono but really good recordings.....must be among the best efforts from RVG.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12798 - 02/24/17 at 22:55:54

Syd, now that you mention it, when that first appeared for preorder it was $29.99 here.  MFSL and just about all audiophile sellers raised their prices $5.  Anyway...that's worth it.  Those Prestige LPs are great.  As I recall, it was one Marathon session to fulfill Miles' contract with Prestige before going to Columbia.

This now...and the noise I mentioned early has vanished...whew...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12799 - 02/24/17 at 23:16:48

Just got a notice that Music Matters has sent me a package.  Checking my Credit Card it is 3 LPs.

Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around, Duke Pearson - Wahoo and Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop.  That's the end of the subscription and the end of the 33 RPM Blue Note series for Music Matters Cry  I did get 2 ebay LPs in the mail today.  So I have something new for tomorrow morning.

And the two ebay buys...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 ... 512
Send Topic Print