Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1849217 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #12950 - 03/12/17 at 16:40:52

Moved to the Cave and have replaced the Valve Art 274B with a 1944 RCA 5V4G-ST in the CSP3.  Playing this Music Matters 45 RPM reissue.  Elvin Jones' cymbals are more prominent than I like but I'm not very familiar with this LP.  I'll have to play something I know to see if it is the tube or recording.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12951 - 03/12/17 at 17:31:15

This now.  Tony Williams' drums aren't abnormally prominent in this MFSL reissue.  I think the Music Matters reissues sometimes seem to boost the high end compared to the original LPs.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12952 - 03/12/17 at 17:45:09

Sometimes RVG captured drums a bit hot too, this is true on several Blakey recordings . . . . It's hard to mc dynamic drummers like Art and Elvin!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12953 - 03/12/17 at 17:47:19

Yup, you may be right.  And Elvin loved getting busy on the cymbals...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12954 - 03/12/17 at 18:43:46

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12955 - 03/12/17 at 18:46:20

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12956 - 03/12/17 at 19:17:43

This Rhino Vinyl reissue of Joni's album is just perfect with the current tube complement.  Then next the true test...the Keith Jarrett Trio...ah....wonderful...this 1944 RCA 5V4G-ST ain't going anywhere soon  :)

PS...I'm calling at least a two month freeze on tube rolling or tweaks in the Cave.  The Duelund Cast resistors for the HR-1s and RCA 5V4G-ST for  the Torii will have to wait.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12957 - 03/12/17 at 19:34:21

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (2016 Remaster)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12958 - 03/12/17 at 19:54:19

Really glad the 5V4 type is working well for you!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12959 - 03/12/17 at 20:07:40

Yup Lon, in the CSP3, this tube is a winner. Next a Warner Brothers reissue...

PS...I just put my finger on something...the imaging is much better with the RCA 5V4G-ST than with the Valve Art 274B.  My speakers are doing that disappearing act people talk about.  I just had to close my eyes to see it  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12960 - 03/12/17 at 20:08:24

SACD. Four decades plus later I'm still loving this music.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12961 - 03/12/17 at 20:20:59

Oh yeah, I need to play that one next...hope I can find it...Breaking my one LP per artist limit rule...haha

Found it.  After it I have to leave the Cave for food.  I'll resume listening in the Den with the Monoblocks.  I've got a pair of Holland made Bugle Boys in them.  I don't think I like them as well as the USA made Amperex White Label 6922s or 7308s.  They're good just a little lacking in detail comparatively. They might be the ticket when I try the Omega speakers though.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12962 - 03/12/17 at 20:55:22

Taking a break from jazz for a Dylan album. I'll skip "Joey" as I usually do--hate that song.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12963 - 03/12/17 at 20:55:46

This is the MFSL 45 RPM reissue...

PS...well, I guess the Valve Art 274B will be permanently placed in tube storage. I think it came stock on the CSP3, ZP3 and Taboo MK III...so I've got three.  None in use anymore Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12964 - 03/12/17 at 20:58:20

Cool. I love the sound of the SACD. As you know I don't buy audiophile vinyl, just don't think it's worth the cost. The hybrid SACDs I can play in many places.

Taking a break from jazz for a Dylan album. I'll skip "Joey" as I usually do--hate that song.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12965 - 03/12/17 at 21:03:55

I had the MFSL 33 RPM reissue of "New Morning" pulled but won't get to it today.  It's one of my favorite Dylan albums...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12966 - 03/12/17 at 21:04:10

Re: Valve Art 274B: I liked them with some tube complements, and I asked Ron Sheldon to add them to his cryoset.com inventory and do prefer the cryo'd version. But ultimately I moved to the bottle-shaped 5Y3 tubes in CSP2+ and ZP3 and the bottle-shaped 5V4 in the Torii. Surprising myself I found I like an old RCA brown-based 5R4 in the Taboo Mk III best (with EL84s).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12967 - 03/12/17 at 21:08:12

mark58 wrote on 03/12/17 at 21:03:55:
I had the MFSL 33 RPM reissue of "New Morning" pulled but won't get to it today.  It's one of my favorite Dylan albums...

One of my favorites too. Self-portrait through Desire is my favorite Dylan period until Time out of Mind and up to the present, I love that period as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12968 - 03/12/17 at 21:15:14

Lon, I've never tried that 5R4 type tube...how would it compare to the RCA 5U4G and 5V4Gs?  In the Taboo I've only tried the stock Valve Art 274B and a 50's RCA 5U4G-ST.  I haven't listened with headphones in ages...maybe a year.  I think I'll put in a 50's RCA 5V4G-ST and give the Taboo MK III and Audeze Cans a workout after lunch.

Also I've read about other's experiences rolling the power tubes in the Taboo and the small Zens and  decided it's not worth the effort and cost.  I bought a bunch of NOS  Svetlana SV83s and a bunch more of the Military spec Russian tubes.  I'm set for life for power tubes in the Taboo and Monoblocks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12969 - 03/12/17 at 21:20:08

Hard to describe the 5R4 as I don't have a  lot of experience with them. I tried a pair in the Torii. . . way too tight and lean sounding for my tastes. One of them went bad when I tried them again. This one sat in a box and I popped it in the Taboo to try out and it just seems to give the best balance with the TAD cryo'd EL84s I was using. The amp came with the military type SV83s from the seller but they were a little tired so I tried the EL84s which I had been using in a modded C amp a few years ago and liked them. The 5R4s just fit them better than 5U4 and 5V4 and 5Y3 types I used.

The headphones give me a way to listen when Lucy is sleeping--she likes to sleep in later than I do weekday or weekend, especially weekend. I generally listen more to the Oppo PM-1 and CSP2+ combo than the Taboo Mk III and Audeze LCD2 combo I have upstairs. . . which is just more of a "situational" choice than a sonic quality choice--both combos sound excellent though fundamentally different. In the CSP2+ I'm using a bottle-shaped 5Y3 and a trio of Valvo CCa tubes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12970 - 03/12/17 at 21:38:13

Now on to this beautiful sounding Warner Japan cd of this Roulette Records Basie. Wow. Hadn't heard this in a long time (I have it on the Basie Roulette Studio Mosaic set as well).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12971 - 03/12/17 at 22:20:43

Another Warner Japan Basie. . .this one a bit more explosive!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12972 - 03/12/17 at 23:07:33

"Once again ladies and gentlemen. .. let's swing with Cannonball Adderley and the Qunitet!"

Japanese RVG edition

Swing indeed!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #12973 - 03/13/17 at 17:50:32

My room is sounding wonderful with a wider selection of LP's...a few LPs from the last few days that were wonderful to listen to.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12974 - 03/13/17 at 18:15:36

Giving the Taboo III and Audeze 2s a ride this morning...so far...

I think I've got all lucid modes off.  I forget there was something about having old lucid mode on...was that with speakers?

disc 5...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12975 - 03/13/17 at 19:01:29

This one's great with headphones...Freddie in one ear and Tina Brooks in the other...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12976 - 03/13/17 at 20:05:02

Stephen Marsh and Steve Hoffman did a very nice job remastering this one.  I still haven't listened to the SACD layer...

PS...any laura Nyro fan needs to pick this one up.  The Mastering is the best I've heard.  Some of Laura's original albums weren't the greatest...the Music though, amazing.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12977 - 03/13/17 at 21:06:51

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12978 - 03/13/17 at 21:07:36

CD #2...of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12979 - 03/14/17 at 00:37:50

Five ebay LPs arrived today...all are Japanese pressings...

This is a less than stellar live recording of a Concert in Japan in 1978 before his contract with Galaxy records and after his recordings from the Village Vanguard in 1977 on Contemporary Records. This was his first tour of Japan,  another would occur in 1979 recordings of which would be released by Galaxy.

PS...I just read what I wrote...the recording quality is less than stellar...the Quality of the Music is excellent...other worldly...as only Art could deliver.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12980 - 03/14/17 at 01:18:07

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12981 - 03/14/17 at 02:09:22

What I think I've got here is a 1960 Japanese Mono reissue of this 1959 release.  It's very noisy despite looking clean.  I'll need to keep searching for a better copy.  The one I have is YL-155 without the "Stereo" on the cover.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12982 - 03/14/17 at 03:09:21

Another noisy Japanese reissue...well, not as noisy as the Mingus...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12983 - 03/14/17 at 13:18:38

My fvorite Byrds albumn....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12984 - 03/14/17 at 14:13:56

Disc 1

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12985 - 03/14/17 at 15:34:13

to be followed by this...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12986 - 03/14/17 at 16:02:17

Received in the mail yesterday: the Mono SACD of this Dylan classic. Sounds great!

CMFSA2181M_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12987 - 03/14/17 at 16:39:11

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12988 - 03/14/17 at 17:20:58

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12989 - 03/14/17 at 18:10:51

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12990 - 03/14/17 at 18:45:13

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12991 - 03/14/17 at 20:07:32

This and the Art Pepper CD are particularly hot.  The current tubes are the best so far to cool them down...sound nice....1961 and 1962 Bugle Boy Amperex 6DJ8s and 1957 and 1958 RCA 5V4G-ST are the ticket for Hot or poorer recordings.  RCA 50's OA3s and Svetlana SV83s are the other tubes that do not get rolled.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12992 - 03/14/17 at 20:53:37

Theres almost a tear in my eye tonight. The ML`s are back in the room. Sold. Set up for a demo tomorrow. Sweet sound. The Roksan went two weeks ago. Will just be fond memories now.

Onwards and upwards. Must be brave.
Where`s my handkerchief.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12993 - 03/14/17 at 21:07:08

CD #3 of 3...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12994 - 03/14/17 at 21:15:44

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12995 - 03/14/17 at 21:17:36

Syd, I looked up the Acousta  and there are several versions...which ones are yours...about 4 different boxes for those drivers.  And what you already sold was a Turn Table...right? Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #12996 - 03/14/17 at 21:19:09

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12997 - 03/14/17 at 21:41:55

Lon, I haven't gotten myself to buy the MSFL 45 RPM version of the below.  But I did buy an original pressing from 1969 in great shape...VG+ or probably better for $11.50.  It's surprising how different sellers can vary in the grades they give. Two LPs that I played yesterday were graded VG+ and VG++.  The first wasn't even VG in my opinion...way too much noise the second maybe VG.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12998 - 03/14/17 at 21:44:37

CD #1 of 2 playing ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12999 - 03/14/17 at 21:45:39

I have an original copy I've kept since the mid-seventies. Sounds really good, I'd say mine is about VG+. I love this album, wouldn't buy an audiophile pressing of it. Have the new Mobile Fidelity SACD and really like it.

Listening to this one again, it's a Japanese LP facsimile CD copy in the "Special RVG Edition" series. Sounds really good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 ... 512
Send Topic Print