Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1850875 times)
Midnight
Verified Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #13250 - 04/07/17 at 22:14:18

Bernard Roberts plays Beethoven's piano sonatas (complete set)

These are the most amazing sonata performances I've ever heard. It feels like Beethoven playing it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13251 - 04/07/17 at 22:47:39

Another great sounding Turrentine SHM-CD

Followed by
Something very different

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13252 - 04/08/17 at 02:21:07

Listening to this newly acquired Mosaic Box...CD #3...was still wrapped...the other three weren't but in perfect condition...Most of this CD was from the album "Jackknife" and some of "Consequence"...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
audiomaniac
Verified Member

Reply #13253 - 04/08/17 at 05:19:26

Alison Krauss & Union Station ‎– So Long So Wrong

Alison_Krauss.jpeg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13254 - 04/08/17 at 13:00:36

Mono SACD

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13255 - 04/08/17 at 13:18:42

Well Lon, I'm stumped.  This morning I've unpacked and setup the CSP3 and ZP3.  I am starting by getting the CSP3 hookup to my Monoblocks figured out.  I did as you had outlined and none of the connections to the Monoblocks functions as we thought a bypass of the volume would.  With the volume knob on the monoblocks all the way down, none of the connections give volume with the CSP3 alone.  So what I've done is use the same connection I had going directly to the CD player to the CSP3 and the CDP to the CSP3.  This works just like the connections to the Torii MK IV do...ie riding the gain and all that...:).  My Turntable has a ground wire so I'm going to read the user Manual before attempting ZP3 and TT use.  Mark.

PS...Luckily my Audio Springs "Haley" Power Conditioner has six outlets...just enough for the addition of the CSP3, ZP3 and TT.

Anyway, another from the Jackie McLean Box...CD #1...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13256 - 04/08/17 at 13:47:58

Wild! Well, maybe there aren't inputs that bypass the volume control after all. Cool. You just improved that system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13257 - 04/08/17 at 14:06:27

Lon, now I'm playing CD #3 of this Jarrett box with which I'm very familiar.  I decided to use the tubes Martin, the seller, sent in the CSP3 to start...three of the Russian input and output tubes Steve sends as stock but I did switch the rectifier to a 50's RCA 5U4G-ST that was laying on the table...I just couldn't bear to put in the straight, short Russian rectifier that was sent...not sure what it is.  It's in the photo in the classified I bought from.

So the sound...very good, as has been described in the past, it adds weight and for me that's a good thing.  By giving up a little transparency and maybe a little detail, I gain a warmer, weightier sound with a bigger bottom.  I'll leave things as is for now and maybe try out the ZP3 soon...or maybe tomorrow.  Mark.  

PS...I actually like this setup.  The Monoblocks are closer and more convenient to me so using their volume controls to fine tune volume works well for me.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13258 - 04/08/17 at 14:16:39

Great! Having a CSP preamp is often a good thing, and especially with the lower power amps. I bet you'll really enjoy the ZP3 in this system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13259 - 04/08/17 at 15:01:46

OK, figured out how to use the ground.  On the ZP3 I bought the Bannana-like plug that secures the ground wire was missing.  Since the Rega RP6 has an internal ground, it's not needed in the main system...so I took it out of my 1st ZP3.  Now spinning LPs.  Sounds good but not near as good as in the main system. Lots to change.  First I'll re-tube the ZP3 with my Main system complement.  I don't think I have another RCA 5Y3 or another RCA OA3 so those will have to stay.  Lon, have you used a Sylvania OA3 in the past?  That's what I have in this ZP3.  And of course, this is a late 70's Pioneer TT with an Audio Technica Cart of unknown age or model number.

Anyway, don't have but a few hours, so for now I'll spin LPs until I have to leave. Mark.

PS...forgot to mention...no hum issues like others sometimes have...dead quiet using CDP or ZP3/TT.  Unlike the main system where I do have some hum, that I assume is transformer Hum from the Torii...but not bad enough to worry about.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13260 - 04/08/17 at 15:27:45

Yes, my ZP3 came with a Sylvania OA3 and I've used that and Sylvania OB3s. They're quite nice. I find them a bit drier than the RCA that I usually use. I have also used a Westinghouse OA3 that seems to fall in between the Sylvania and RCA in character. All depends on the other tubes.

Sounds like you have some tube-rolling fun to do and then you'll have a great system, better than before! And another place to spin LPs.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13261 - 04/08/17 at 15:41:15

Yes, and I have a ton of 12AX7 and 12AU7 type tubes to roll.  I've decided I won't spin any of the expensive new reissues I have with this old Cart but I have thousands of LPs bought in the 70's and 80's to play as well as plenty of original used LPs bought since then. This is a 1987 reissue...

PS...thinking about it, I seem to remember buying 6 or 8 spare 50's RCA OA3's as well as some Tung-Sol OA3s...looks like I'll have to go digging in the boxes in the Hi Fi closet  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13262 - 04/08/17 at 16:34:34

Well, the next LP I was going to play was my original copy of Stevie Wonder's "Inner Visions"...near mint except for the fact it is unplayable from Warpage from poor storage in the POD for 5 years...argh.  The POD was loaded by workers, not me, so I had no idea how they packed them.  As a result as I go through my old LPs, I find many warped.  I may need to buy that Warp repair device I've seen somewhere in the past.  

Anyway, playing this Al Jarreau album...not my favorite of his but it's playable...haha..

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13263 - 04/08/17 at 17:15:34

Mixed bag of talent.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13264 - 04/08/17 at 17:20:15

This one is so warped I couldn't play the first song...sigh...

PS...odd, the OA3s in the Monoblocks are flickering.  I'm nowhere near clipping...lots of volume play on both the CSP3 and Monoblocks.  This is only with the ZP3 not when playing CDs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13265 - 04/08/17 at 17:56:52

You got me there on the flickering. . . odd.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13266 - 04/08/17 at 18:34:57

Lon, I've seen the flickering before when using the Omega Speakers with the Monoblocks.  Then  I had to turn the volume knob higher for volume.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13267 - 04/08/17 at 18:47:02

Interesting. I haven't seen flickering except when turning off the ZP3.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #13268 - 04/08/17 at 21:40:27

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #13269 - 04/08/17 at 22:48:09

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #13270 - 04/09/17 at 00:57:03

Miles & Coltrane

41W84RQB0VL__AC_US301_QL65_.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13271 - 04/09/17 at 13:00:43

I have replaced the 6n1p input tube in the CSP3 with a Beckman labeled 1964 Amperex 6922 that tests great but went super cheap...I was the only bidder  :)

I'm going to roll a pair of Raytheon Black Plate 12AX7s and a 12AU7 into the ZP3 later after the Sunday news programs.  Should be a big improvement over tubes sent with the ZP3.

I played a Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note CD then this one that's almost done...sounds fantastic.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13272 - 04/09/17 at 13:12:14

Listening on Oppo PM-1 headphones via the Taboo Mk III. Yesterday I rolled a few rectifier tubes and my '50s RCA bottle-type 5Y3 is the very best with any input tubes. Rolling some input tubes I've settled on one that I have lost track of what it is. . . either a 6N1P or a 6N23P, it was just loose in a box of tubes I've kept. Really sounds dynamic and detailed with no coloration. This with the Russian military output tubes.

Recent Japanese reissue. . . excellent sound.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13273 - 04/09/17 at 13:37:00

Lon, I've been looking for another RCA coke bottle type 5Y3G.  None are that cheap but I think I need one for the new ZP3.  I had to move my Taboo into the bedroom.  Absolutely no room in the den.  I have room in the Cave so I guess I could put it there.  In the Taboo, I've only rolled the input tube and rectifier leaving the Russian Military SV83 type outputs in place.  Mark.

PS...I still haven't looked in the closet to see if I have a spare.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13274 - 04/09/17 at 13:58:44

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13275 - 04/09/17 at 15:26:57

Yes I keep trying other rectifiers whenever I roll other tubes in the set and coming back to these. They just are the most accurate sounding, especially when I used tapes I recorded myself of bands I was in and in my then garage apartment rehearsal space or a few club gigs, and when I use material I've listened to for years, analog or digital. Those 5Y3 are the gold standard for me in the CSP and Taboo and ZP3.

You've got some good systems to use amigo! I bet you're having fun with the new purchases!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13276 - 04/09/17 at 15:31:12

Lon, look what I just ordered...

3006 Roland Kirk: The Limelight/Verve Albums1 $75.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
3007 Louis Armstrong & The All Stars: Newpor1 $100.00

3008 Gerry Mulligan: The Emarcy Sextet Recor1 $125.00

263-MD-CD Classic 1936-1947 Count Basie & Lester 1 $136.00

In regards to Lucid mode on the Taboo MK III and IV...I think adjust-ability will greatly increase it's usefulness.  I found that I rarely used it.  It only seemed to be an improvement for me with very spare recordings like Chet Baker's drumless trio recordings...Trumpet, Bass and guitar.  The busier the recording got the worse New Lucid mode made it for me. Mark.

PS...forgot to say...I bought another Amperex White label 6299 and 15 RCA OA3s this morning.  The OA3's were less than $39 including shipping.  I guess I won't need more...:)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13277 - 04/09/17 at 15:36:07

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13278 - 04/09/17 at 16:01:12

Cool. I have the CD versions of all that material (I have the Kirk on Mercury/Verve in the complete box set and the Mulligan on Verve and Polydor cds). Great music.

Yes, I think the adjustable New Lucid Mode will be the right way to implement this, a large part of why I ordered the new amp.

You've got plenty of tubes! I do too. It's amazing how you can hear each difference of each tube in these Decware components.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13279 - 04/09/17 at 16:43:42

Starting where I left off on LPs with the Monoblocks yesterday.  Side two of this one...

Lon, you don't have a vinyl copy of the Basie Roulette Studio set, just CDs...right?  And just one set?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13280 - 04/09/17 at 16:53:13

Yes, I have the cd set. I have some of the original LPs, and I have all the studio Lps (and the studio lps with singers and strings NOT in the Mosaic set) on American and Japanese cds, both from EMI and then Warner. I think I've bought this material enough times!

I only have one copy of the set, yes. It was going for really big bucks about five years ago, if I had a second copy I probably would have sold it.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13281 - 04/09/17 at 17:33:30

That's what I thought, Lon.  I just looked and a set went for $125.57 in an auction out of Canada.  I usually don't look at anything except USA auctions.  I think I need to add Canada to my watch list. The going price seems to be between $200 and $300 max for a CD copy.  In the completed sales there was one Vinyl copy that went for best offer which wasn't given but the ask was $450.

I'd be willing to trade you the Complete Basie Roulette Live Recordings Vinyl Box set I just bought for a pair of your Mile Long Ultralinear Voodoo interconnects. The records were graded by the seller as mint but I'd say NM/M-...some of them have been played but are in amazing condition.  The Box is in NM- condition...very sweet copy. I haven't played them. No hurry.

I just picked up a second Vinyl copy for a song that was hidden in a 5 lot of box sets.  The others were all "Readers Digest" Vinyl  Collections. LOL.  I was the only Bidder. The only one I might try is a collection of Boston Pops with Arthur Friedler directing.

This LP now...and again warped but playable...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13282 - 04/09/17 at 17:49:39

That's a nice offer but I just want to save those interconnects. . . I have other interconnects but I just really like these VooDoo and know I may have an application for them in the future. (For one thing my wife keeps talking about renovation in our house--kitchen and flooring--and told me that I could set up a system upstairs if things got unruly here, and I would be able to use those interconnects then). And on top of that I have that Basie material in enough formats and copies right now.

There is a pair of Renaissance interconnects from VooDoo for sale in the PS Audio forums probably for more than you want to pay but they're worth it. . . these are probably near the sound of the Stradivarius cables from VooDoo I have (clearly better than Evolution and Ultraliner) and I can't justify picking them up but if bottlehead hadn't offered me the pair he did this year I would!

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/buy-and-sell-equipment/voodoo-renaissance-interconn...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13283 - 04/09/17 at 17:49:53

This LP is only minimally warped.  The Box I'm getting the recent albums from was not tightly packed as it should have been so I expect more to be warped.  A shame since it had a lot of jazz I like.  Only 30 minutes to listen, then I have to get ready to go to a Concert with an Army Band. They are always entertaining and FREE.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13284 - 04/09/17 at 18:01:45

Just thought I'd ask Lon.  I'd like to trade it for a Vinyl copy of the Studio Set or a CD set.

Those Voodoo interconnects are a bit pricey for cheapo me. I'll investigate though.  If you see any other voodoos for sale, let me know.  I look on US Audio Mart, Audiogon and ebay. They don't come up often but I can wait.  I have multiple spares from different companies that are very nice.  What do I have now?  Four pair?

This LP is different...won't be a favorite.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13285 - 04/09/17 at 18:48:06

The way I have looked at it is: yes, interconnects can be expensive, but you just spent nearly that on LP sets from Mosaic, the interconnects are a purchase that benefits every use and every bit of music etc. I really really value the sound I get from the Stradivarius Cremonas, more than any other cables I ever bought, considerably, and I get to enjoy that sound every day. And I've spent far more for music that has just sat on a shelf a long time.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13286 - 04/09/17 at 19:50:15

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13287 - 04/10/17 at 00:00:36

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13288 - 04/10/17 at 00:20:39

Back to this one. Enjoying it.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13289 - 04/10/17 at 16:52:27

Just back from 5 day vacation....feeling relaxed and mellow so spun these two LP's last nite.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13290 - 04/10/17 at 20:15:07

Oh yeah, I'm going to go find my copy of that America LP and spin on the new TT setup with the Monos.  Been spinning Vinyl here for a little bit...these two so far...

PS...just spent too much for a nice pair of 1962 Amperex White Label 6922s...they have the same date codes and tightly matched plates and to each other so perfect for the Torii.  Another spare pair.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13291 - 04/10/17 at 20:24:14

Doin' taxes with a nice background.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13292 - 04/10/17 at 20:39:15

How are those concerts.  Haven't heard them.  Loved some of the 70's and 80's solo concerts...somewhere I even have the Sun Bear box set in Vinyl.  Mark.

PS...I usually just file an extension then go in when the CPAs are less stressed...May to September.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13293 - 04/10/17 at 21:00:04

This isn't my original copy...Lord knows where it is..I don't.  This is an original copy from Half Price Books and Records...And the OA3s are putting on  a light show...flickering...

I guess pulsing is a better description...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13294 - 04/10/17 at 21:01:51

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13295 - 04/10/17 at 21:51:36

A recent ebay purchase...a Japanese reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13296 - 04/10/17 at 22:36:08

This LP is from the box with all the warps...doesn't appear warped, plays fine...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13297 - 04/10/17 at 23:36:03

These concerts are really good. I'm enjoying them.

I've never had reason enough to have my taxes done by someone else. I can do them myself well enough, and this year I'm filing jointly with Lucy and hers are even more simple than mine. I did the Feds, will do the State taxes tomorrow. I miss not having to do and pay state taxes . . . you have it good in Texas.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13298 - 04/10/17 at 23:40:33

Now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13299 - 04/10/17 at 23:45:51

Lon, you know they do collect taxes/fees...just not State Individual Income Tax.  

This LP isn't warped...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 ... 512
Send Topic Print