Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #13501 - 04/29/17 at 18:16:05

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13502 - 04/29/17 at 18:44:19

Last night I bid on a NOS/NIB RCA labeled Mullard GZ 32 with a date code of B9A....so Blackburn 1959 manufacture.  I bid early because I was going out for the evening and wouldn't be home for the end of the auction.  Amazingly no one else bid on it.  I had already messaged the Canadian seller about the $14 S&H and he agreed to discount it $4 if I won.  So I got a 1959 NOS Mullard GZ 32 for $34.99 plus $10 shipping....$45 for a tube that I see being sold for about $120.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-New-in-Box-Mullard-5V4G-VT-206A-CV729-Ham-Radio-Audio...

Almost forgot...listening to this...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13503 - 04/29/17 at 20:46:08

In the Cave...popped in a new used 1960 Mullard GZ 32 into the CSP3 and starting with LP #2 of this set...the album "Rip, Rig and Panic"...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13504 - 04/29/17 at 21:28:04

LP #1 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13505 - 04/29/17 at 22:04:13

LP #1 of this set...

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #13506 - 04/29/17 at 22:42:31

Jon Faddis / Into the Faddisphere (1989)

41RCjkpW3vL__AC_US355_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13507 - 04/30/17 at 00:17:10

After a Nap, back in the den listening to CDs with the Monoblocks...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13508 - 04/30/17 at 01:43:17

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13509 - 04/30/17 at 02:08:31

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #13510 - 04/30/17 at 11:45:02

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13511 - 04/30/17 at 12:34:33

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13512 - 04/30/17 at 13:16:09

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13513 - 04/30/17 at 13:30:05

Never heard of Beverly Kenny...what's she like?

Lon, have you tried 5V4G/GZ 32 rectifiers in your Torii MK III?  If so what'd you think.  I am pleasantly pleased with my trial of a 1960 Mullard GZ 32 in the Main System's CSP3.  At first it wasn't so great but after about 30 minutes things got great.  For three day's now I've had an old Ediswan GZ 32 in my second system's CSP3...again very nice.  These two GZ 32s have very different internal structures...plates, getters and micas are all different.  

I'm so smitten that I'm thinking of a NOS matched pair in the Torii but first I need to try some tubes I've got in the Torii.  A NOS 1959 Mullard GZ 32 is on it's way so then I'll have a pair to try in the Torii.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13514 - 04/30/17 at 13:53:36

Ms Kenney was a very good singer. She only recorded for about four years before she tragically ended her own life at 28. She is in the West Coast school of singing I'd say though she did her work on the East Coast. She had a lovely voice and she had a silky sense of swing, she was sort of a Lester Young of a singer, she floated above the accompaniment often (in fact she sang with the Lester Young Quintet for a short spell in NYC).

She reminds me of a less chipper and cheery June Christy in the tone and timbre of her voice but her phrasing is uniquely her own. She played with some great jazz musicians especially for her three albums on the Roost label. I think you'd like her.

No, I haven't tried any GZ32. I've not recently seen any at a price I want to pay. I spent a lot of time voicing my Torii Mk III using the old RCA 5V4s that I have and love the sound and don't feel like experimenting right now, and until I sell some equipment I don't have audio dollars to play with right now. Being on a fixed income sucks, especially when it's both fixed and small!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13515 - 04/30/17 at 13:56:07

Now this excellent sounding SACD by this extremely talented pianist. Geri can play and man has she got an impressive musical mind!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13516 - 04/30/17 at 14:06:28

Lon, you didn't understand my question.  It was also asking if you tried 5V4Gs but regardless, you answered it as those are now your preferred rectifier.   Smiley Smiley I will try the non matched pair of Mullard GZ 32's once the one from Canada arrives.  Then I'll decide if $240 for a matched NOS pair is in the cards.  It would break my unofficial rule of no more than $50 per tube...I've broken it before...

I'll check Beverly Kenny out.  Spotify has 9 albums so the next time I have the laptop hooked up to the monoblocks, she's on the play list.  

By the way I changed my mind on the Voodoo interconnects you alerted me to but they were gone by the time I returned to the listing ...argh.  If you see more, let me know please.

I just checked and the below Vinyl Mosaic Box Set I bought on ebay is in Dallas so it should be delivered tomorrow.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13517 - 04/30/17 at 14:22:50

Okay. 5V4 and GZ32 are supposedly significantly different tubes that they shouldn't be grouped together as they often are. I had recommended the 5V4 type to you several times before and though you had tried some so I was thinking that you were asking me about the GZ32s as I know you had just gotten a few single ones. My bad.

The 5V4 works really well for me and it's the one rectifier type that I can use three different output tube types with (KT66, 6CA7 and 6P3S-E) easily. Just as those Amperex 7308s that are still holding up very well are the only input tubes that I can use those three tube types with, so the 7308s and 5V4 are the anchors of my tube complements. I'm not inclined to mess with them, I flirt with 5U4 types on occasion but they tend to lead me more into analytical territory than I'd like to venture sound-wise. I like to be able to swap out the three different output tube types on occasion as they offer me different windows into the musical world. But I've been using the TAD KT66 the most often . . . I love how the frequencies seem to lose their identity with these tubes and an open musical landscape emerges.

All this I think is possible though because of the bass control on my main Torii. I have one, one of the earliest Torii Mk IIIs built, without the bass controls (and Steve says he can't add them) and as a result there may be NO anchor tubes, all tubes in a complement need to be futzed with when changing one set to get the character my system needs. That amp sits in storage. . . the treble AND bass controls of the Mk III I bought nearly four years ago really has been one of the vital sources of my musical satisfaction these past years (that and the DirectStream DAC). I've decided not to do without either!

I'll let you know if I see more VooDoo Cable interconnects you may be interested in. Glad that those you bought from me are working out so well. I'm currently using a Stradivarius Cremona edition from the single-ended output of the DirectStream straight into the Taboo Mk III and wow, what sound!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13518 - 04/30/17 at 14:30:06

One more question Lon.  Have you ever tried a 5V4G in your ZP3?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13519 - 04/30/17 at 14:34:43

Yes I have. A bottle-shaped one and a straight shouldered one. Works very well. Ultimately in the ZP3, the Taboo Mk III and the CSP2+s I have I have tried 5V4 but always come back to bottle shaped 5Y3 rectifiers.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13520 - 04/30/17 at 15:01:20

I think I'll put a RCA 50's 5V4G into the second ZP3 while I'm hunting down another well testing and priced RCA 5Y3G. I've been using a RCA 5U4G there since I bought it but Friday I pulled the 5Y3G from the other ZP3 and preferred it to the RCA 5U4G. Thanks, Mark.

PS...have you tried other brands of 5Y3Gs besides the RCAs?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13521 - 04/30/17 at 15:38:22

I've tried a Philco and a Sylvania (the Philco may well BE a Silvania.) I like the RCA a bit more, just a touch "wetter" and less "tight as a mosquito's butt" bass.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13522 - 04/30/17 at 15:52:36

Thanks Lon, I'll stick with a RCA.  I just heard from a guy who has sold me two well testing White labeled Amperex 6922s for $25 each.  He has another and will send photos and test results tomorrow after which I'll buy it for $25 shipped.  I'm accumulating a nice stash of these tubes.  Some pairs that I need to tape together for the Torii. But the best deals are the singles.

This CD now...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13523 - 04/30/17 at 15:56:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13524 - 04/30/17 at 15:57:38

Cool. I'll turn my attention to tube collecting again when I have the funds . . . luckily I'm set for some time to come!

Probably not much more listening today except perhaps in the car when I drive out to visit my Dad. Beautiful day here, going to be in the 'eighties (which now seems HOT to me, four year away from Texas!)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13525 - 04/30/17 at 16:59:19

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13526 - 04/30/17 at 17:47:11

On to LPs with the Monoblocks...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #13527 - 04/30/17 at 19:03:31

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13528 - 04/30/17 at 19:12:06

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13529 - 04/30/17 at 20:03:12

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13530 - 04/30/17 at 21:21:47

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13531 - 04/30/17 at 21:57:36

Vinyl

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #13532 - 05/01/17 at 09:17:08

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13533 - 05/01/17 at 16:03:29

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13534 - 05/01/17 at 16:11:28

Last nites LP's....wonderful sound-stage throughout

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13535 - 05/01/17 at 18:20:43

Friday I changed the footers under my Rega RP3 (from four VooDoo Cable IsoPods to Herbie's Audio Lab Iso-Cups with Moss Green balls. . . . Both are EXCELLENT footers for this table but the Iso-Cups have added a touch of richness that is very welcome sometimes. Right now this excellently-recorded two LP set is sounding fantastic!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13536 - 05/01/17 at 18:42:26

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13537 - 05/01/17 at 22:24:10

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13538 - 05/01/17 at 22:48:22

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13539 - 05/02/17 at 00:34:59

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #13540 - 05/02/17 at 09:02:28

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13541 - 05/02/17 at 16:01:22

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13542 - 05/02/17 at 16:47:08

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13543 - 05/02/17 at 18:41:15

LP #1 of 3 from this set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13544 - 05/02/17 at 19:18:28

Whack and cool music that is going to stand the test of time.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13545 - 05/02/17 at 19:28:13

I think I'll play the whole 3 LP Jaco Set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13546 - 05/02/17 at 20:09:08

LP #1 of 6...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13547 - 05/02/17 at 20:16:51

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13548 - 05/02/17 at 20:33:00

Via the three cd set from Universal.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13549 - 05/03/17 at 18:37:22

The Platinum SHM-CD version.

Covers on this series are beautifully printed--vivid, glossy. Sound is great as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 ... 512
Send Topic Print