Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 280 281 282 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1852914 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #13950 - 06/17/17 at 13:38:46

Lon, what album are you talking about above, there isn't a pic.  

In the Cave for some much needed Vinyl therapy...

I got a dozen LPs in the mail last week.  First up is this new discovery for me.  After hearing her the first time, I immediately got online and ordered the only two LPs available...this is the latest...WONDERFUL...

Prior to this I listened to Freddie Hubbard...can't say I like this Album...save your time and skip it...

PS...Lon, I think I got it...you're talking about the Monk Soundtrack.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13951 - 06/17/17 at 13:48:22

Breaking News  For any Bill Evans Fanatics, Analogue Productions is close to shipping it's new 200 gm version of The Complete Riverside Albums". I had a preorder in and got an email asking if I still wanted it...duh...Of course!

Anyway, don't think about it too long.  If you missed the 180 gm version like I did...grab this one.  Mark.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Bill-Evans-Riverside-Recordings-200g-45rpm-22LP-Box-S...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13952 - 06/17/17 at 14:15:40

Now this newly arrived 45 RPM Analogue Productions reissue...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13953 - 06/17/17 at 14:28:57

mark58 wrote on 06/17/17 at 13:48:22:
Breaking News  For any Bill Evans Fanatics, Analogue Productions is close to shipping it's new 200 gm version of The Complete Riverside Albums". I had a preorder in and got an email asking if I still wanted it...duh...Of course!

Anyway, don't think about it too long.  If you missed the 180 gm version like I did...grab this one.  Mark.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Bill-Evans-Riverside-Recordings-200g-45rpm-22LP-Box-S...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/APLP0018-45HQ-Large.jpg

I have all this on multiple cd versions and some Lps. I'm good, I don't go for these (in my opinion overpriced) Lp reissues.

Mark, I was talking about the Monk release in the post above it. . . .

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/23116-thelonious-monk-thelonious-monk-les-li...

Two LP set was released on Record Store Day, and the two CD set was released yesterday. The cds sound very very similar to the LPs which are great sounding; likely the LPs were digitally sourced.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13954 - 06/17/17 at 15:07:23

Lon, How much did the 2 LP version cost?  I've been looking and $64 and change is the best I can find.  The CD version is $23.  Next year I plan on going to a physical store for record store day.  I had no idea it was so popular and that things sold out so rapidly...The only one I wanted that I got for the retail price was the 3 LP Jaco set.  There was a Bill Evans set that immediately sky rocketed on Ebay as well as an Art Pepper that I wanted.  On the Bill Evans, I'll likely buy the CD version that isn't a limited edition from Resonance Records.

If you'd like to sell your Monk Vinyl set I'd pay what you paid plus shipping Smiley. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13955 - 06/17/17 at 15:10:22

This Analogue Productions reissue from "The Riverside Tenors" Box Set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13956 - 06/17/17 at 15:27:29

I got lucky, a week after RSD an online dealer called Bull Moose posted they had 10 copies of the Monk at the RSD day price of $59 and free shipping and I managed to snag one. Monk is one of the few musicians I would pay this sort of bounty for, and I did mostly because it has a beautiful booklet, 48 pages, with about 30 photos never used before. It's awesome, sorry, I'm keeping mine; that best price doesn't seem so bad considering the RSD list price.

That said the difference between the LP and cd sound wise is far less than I sometimes find when doing simultaneous releases (rare but for example Jose James' "Yesterday I Had the Blues") and amazon now has the cd set for 19 dollars. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13957 - 06/17/17 at 15:43:35

I didn't think you'd want to sell and once I thought about it, $64 isn't too bad.  That's what my favored Reissuers would sell double 33 RPM sets for.  I think I didn't think about buying this when it came out because it was from a reissuer I'm not familiar with and because there were no new tunes...just old ones played for the soundtrack.  Reading your review though...I'm sold and will buy the CD version.  Funny, where I found it for $23 was the store you mentioned...a physical store with multiple locations in Maine and New Hampshire. I Elusive disc or Sound Stage direct don't have it...I'll buy it there. Mark.

You have The Resonance Bill Evans' "Another Time" and "Some Other Time" sets correct...maybe not the first because the CD version comes out Sept 1st.  They are good right.  Is the live release with the keys on the cover good too?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13958 - 06/17/17 at 15:51:13

LP #1 of this set I picked up pretty cheap...no booklet and the box isn't in very good shape but the LPs look unplayed...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13959 - 06/17/17 at 16:03:27

I have "Some Other Time" in the CD version and will get the next one on cd in September. I do have the "On a Monday Evening" and the playing is good. The sound is decent, but not great, it's a mono recording recorded with a mike under the piano I think. I like it, and the piano sound is very resonant, which I like, and they used the "Plangent Process" on it (a software that removes wow and flutter and is very effective) . . . . On the Hoffman board this that have heard both the LP and cd say the LP doesn't sound great and the cd is the better buy.

Well, you're really familiar with one of the partners of the Monk release: Resonance Records. The other partner is Sam Records, a French I believe LP reissuer who has gotten incredible praise for sound, pressing and packaging; I haven't bought any others of theirs as I have had the material elsewhere and I'm really hesitant to plop down big dollars on vinyl reissues. amazon had the Monk cd set now for 19 dollars, and I have Prime so no shipping, I pre-ordered at 25 and they refunded me 6 dollars, but now I see it's back up to 25.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13960 - 06/17/17 at 16:26:48

"On a Monday Evening" is available on spotify.  When I have the laptop connected to the mono blocks I'll give it a listen...if I remember. Smiley  I have a lot of Bill Evans and doubt I'll buy this one that's not sonically very good.

So I guess I shouldn't dismiss Sam Records in the future. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13961 - 06/17/17 at 16:40:26

Found this on Ebay...loved his work with Art Pepper so bought it and some other LPs from the seller...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13962 - 06/17/17 at 17:28:27

Another recent ebay purchase...a 1958 original stereo copy of this...

PS...Damn nice sound for a LP 59 years old...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13963 - 06/17/17 at 17:41:17

Yes check it out, you may decide you want to have "On a Monday Evening," it's a great performance. I'll keep buying Evans releases with new material--they always have something to give.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13964 - 06/17/17 at 18:13:02

From Ebay, a sealed original copy of this 1974 LP with Chet Baker and Paul Desmond on CTI...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13965 - 06/17/17 at 18:32:03

Well Lon, I put in this order at "Bull Moose".  I can't say I like their website that much. You can't easily look at in stock jazz items.  You end up scrolling through pages of out of stock selections if you put in an artists name.  If you know exactly what you want, it's fine.  I would have bought more but I got tired of all the scrolling.  I got the Monk we were talking about and three used Bill Evans CDs.  Mark.

Thelonious Monk/Les Liaisons Dangerous 1960
New - CD      $22.97      

Bill Evans/Trio '64@Digipak Incl. Bonus Tracks@Verve Master Edition
Pre-owned - CD      $8.97

Bill Evans/At The Montreux Jazz Festival@Remastered@Verve Master Edition
Pre-owned - CD      $8.97

Bill Evans/Some Other Time: The Lost Sess
Pre-owned - CD      $12.97

PS...an order over $50 got me free USPS Priority Mail.  Over $30 gets free media mail...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13966 - 06/17/17 at 19:57:31

Cool Mark. This was the one time I used Bull Moose. . . I mainly use amazon and cdjapan!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13967 - 06/18/17 at 02:10:39

These recordings started 100 years ago. .. the start of jazz records.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13968 - 06/18/17 at 13:10:17

Spinning Vinyl in the second system. I just put in a Pair of Voodoo Evolution interconnects between the ZP3 and CSP3 so now all interconnects are Voodoo Evolution. Things are sounding mighty fine...

This first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13969 - 06/18/17 at 13:22:21

Recently I bid on and won this 60's Charles Lloyd LP, so I now have one or two of all of his Quartet albums with Keith Jarrett and Jack DeJohnette from their explosive 60's run of popularity.  I still cant believe Mosaic Records hasn't given these recordings the Box Treatment...there have to be mountains of live material in the Atlantic Records vaults...

PS...oops...I still have to pick up this groups 1966 Studio album, "Dream Weaver".  I think some one reissued it on vinyl recently.  Don't forget folks...both Elusive Disc and Soundstage Direct are running 20% off Father's Day sales. It's shopping time for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13970 - 06/18/17 at 14:41:48

I have all of them on the new cd reissues from Warner Japan and think they sound fantastic. An interesting band, I don't like all the material but some of it is great.

Mosaic Records . . . I think they don't have as comfortable a relationship leasing wise with Atlantic, and they are barely solvent right now, it's quite possible in a year there will be NO Mosaic Records, which is a shame.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13971 - 06/18/17 at 14:52:14

Oh My, no Mosaic Records...I can't even imagine a world without them.  Their sets sometimes re-sell for outrageously high prices.  It's obvious the listening and buying jazz fans would miss them.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13972 - 06/18/17 at 15:05:44

It would be tragic, but their business model is starting to trip them up. A lot of their customer base is literally dying off. . . and they are not able to lease material from the owners for downloads, which would give them new life. I hope it doesn't happen, but two months ago Mosaic sent out notice they were really in trouble and weren't able to repress some sets that they had in backorder and that "the end may be near." They got an outpouring of support and they have been able to repress the backordered sets but they are still in trouble.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13973 - 06/18/17 at 15:29:37

Grew up with this spinning on the stereo console in the living room...LP was my Father's..may he rest in peace.
Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13974 - 06/18/17 at 15:47:25

I have bought a lot of sets over the years...some directly from Mosaic Records in the last few months...I'm going there to see if there are more I'd like to help them out... Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13975 - 06/18/17 at 16:40:34

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13976 - 06/18/17 at 17:48:30

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13977 - 06/19/17 at 12:36:00

Lon, I just looked on the Mosaic Records website and counted 9 sets on back order.  I had no idea...  Since they are limited in time allowed to sell a set, this is in itself harmful to them.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13978 - 06/19/17 at 12:42:46

Yes, it's bad news for them. . . I read that most if not all of these backordered sets will be reprinted, but it's likely all tenuous. It's a good thing for me that I have been pre-ordering their sets for the last decade. . . I have all that are available.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13979 - 06/19/17 at 20:52:08

Remastered -

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13980 - 06/19/17 at 21:55:31

Some listening via Spotify and the monoblocks...this little Red Dragonfly still amazes me...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13981 - 06/19/17 at 23:05:08

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #13982 - 06/20/17 at 00:17:44

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13983 - 06/20/17 at 00:30:03

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13984 - 06/20/17 at 02:55:07

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13985 - 06/20/17 at 03:30:04

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13986 - 06/20/17 at 16:40:19

A few LP's

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #13987 - 06/20/17 at 17:16:52

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13988 - 06/20/17 at 18:13:56

I'm painting floors, and I almost literally painted myself into a corner with this SACD in the player so I'm listening to it on repeat. Such beautiful music.

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #13989 - 06/20/17 at 21:20:08

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13990 - 06/20/17 at 21:40:57

Not sure if King Crimson has finally given in to allowing their music to be streamed but found this on Tidal today by accident:

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13991 - 06/21/17 at 02:19:23

Relaxing at home this afternoon so, a few LP's
I haven't spun for awhile...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13992 - 06/21/17 at 14:34:31

Okay after a weekend of sparse listening and two days of painting floors, coat after coat. . . I've got the speakers out into the room, everything set up, and I'm still listening to this SACD, my favorite digital version of music that has been a part of my life for four decades.  Sounds so so good!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13993 - 06/21/17 at 15:47:47

Eno LP's reissue in Aug 2017' - link below.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/06/taking-brian-enos-2017-vinyl-reissues-...

Had to spin some Eno last night.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13994 - 06/21/17 at 19:06:11

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13995 - 06/21/17 at 21:35:04

Disc 6

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13996 - 06/22/17 at 14:22:00

Listening to the Mono SACD of this Dylan title. I really like the Stereo recording of this title, which I can't say as easily with a few of the other early four, and both the Stereo and Mono SACDs from Mobile Fidelity Audio Lab are great listens. "Ballad of Hollis Brown" I think I love more in stereo. . . it's a special mix that suits this performance so well.

Tom Wilson's production is very interesting. He was quite a guy, I really enjoy the recordings on his Transition label that preceded his Dylan productions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13997 - 06/22/17 at 14:42:48

A Japanese LP facsimile cd. Love this show. Interesting recording too.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #13998 - 06/22/17 at 16:35:19

LP's last nite

and a few CD's too....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13999 - 06/22/17 at 17:48:03

The SHM-CD.

I am finding it quite easy to play the system loudly these days. . . and I notice I'm playing louder than I did before, so I'm easing the volume back!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 280 281 282 ... 512
Send Topic Print