Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 311 312 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1860098 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #15450 - 01/20/18 at 14:03:09

This via spotify with EQ B 3/4...very nice indeed...

I'm still trying to feel this new toy out.  I decreased the voltage on the CSP3 one click and increased it's volume knob two clicks.  I just increased the volume of the monoblocks and decreased the amount of EQ a bit...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15451 - 01/20/18 at 14:36:57

This ZROCK II has me thinking I might be able to fix the slightly too much treble I get from my Omega Alinco speakers with the ZROCK.  I'll try them at the next listening session.  When I have a few days to recover from a ruined back, I may even move the Omega Super 6 Alnico XRSs into the Den and pair them to the Monoblocks in the second system with the ZROCK...I know they'll be great...

PS... couldn't wait.  I've hooked up the Omega Alinco Super 7 XRS speakers that have the RS7A drivers that are no longer made.  After a few tweeks to CSP3 and Monoblock volume knobs to compensate for the lower efficiency compared to the Zu Audio "Souls", I'm up and running.  Using a touch more EQ B than with the Souls...the sound is wonderful...At least with the above recording.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15452 - 01/20/18 at 15:07:58

I'm going to have to buy this 2 CD Live E.S.T. set...it is so good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15453 - 01/20/18 at 15:34:13

I'm glad you've got this to play around with. It really does work and help one to get the sound you crave from system combinations that are almost there on their own.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15454 - 01/20/18 at 18:10:18

12" on 33rpm. Should be in the basshead thread.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15455 - 01/20/18 at 18:16:10

Sounding beautiful with the Taboo Mk IV powering the HR-1s. Great music.

Rosa Passos "Canta Jobim--40 Annos de Bossa Nova"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15456 - 01/20/18 at 18:40:31

another 12 " ep

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15457 - 01/20/18 at 19:03:54

Grant Green "Gooden's Corner" Blue Note SHM-CD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15458 - 01/20/18 at 19:21:44

Lon, I dropped you a PM.

I like this guys Music, not his singing so much Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15459 - 01/20/18 at 19:39:55

I responded via PM Mark. Thanks.

I haven't heard his singing. Guess I'm lucky. Wink

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15460 - 01/20/18 at 19:48:43

I'm listening to this...the first two tunes I've listened to "All Blues" and "Light Blue" are all acoustic...unlike most CTI albums.  I've never heard this before...nice so far...

PS... I even like the one track with electric piano, "117 Special"...nice album

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15461 - 01/20/18 at 21:27:29

Thomas Marriott "Both Sides of the Fence"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15462 - 01/21/18 at 12:44:47

Wow, Steve really has people wound up about the 25th Anniversary additions. I'll wait and see how things shake out.  I'm so happy with things as they are now that I doubt I'd shell out the dough for an Anniversary product although I know it will be wonderful.  At the time the new UFO monos came out I thought long and hard about getting them with the introductory offer and in the end stuck with My used modified pair originally built in 2008. I honestly spend 2 or 3 times as much time listening to them as I do the main system with the Torii MK IV.  I usually get to the Cave about once a week if that.  The Monos are used almost daily.

Anyway this is the music thread...I didn't mean to go on so long Smiley

This with the ZROCK II about 5/8s turn on EQ A...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15463 - 01/21/18 at 13:37:39

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15464 - 01/21/18 at 13:46:20

mark58 wrote on 01/21/18 at 12:44:47:
Wow, Steve really has people wound up about the 25th Anniversary additions. I'll wait and see how things shake out.  I'm so happy with things as they are now that I doubt I'd shell out the dough for an Anniversary product although I know it will be wonderful.  At the time the new UFO monos came out I thought long and hard about getting them with the introductory offer and in the end stuck with My used modified pair originally built in 2008. I honestly spend 2 or 3 times as much time listening to them as I do the main system with the Torii MK IV.  I usually get to the Cave about once a week if that.  The Monos are used almost daily.

Anyway this is the music thread...I didn't mean to go on so long Smiley

Yes, well it's exciting news, and the Facebook page shows there's interest outside of our little pod of a forum here as well. It's exciting for me as I'm eager to get back into the SET sound and with the ZROCK2 it seem as if it's POSSIBLE for me in ways it wasn't before. And look at how you're listening to the Monos more, the sound is compelling. Also the Taboo Mk IV has shown me how wonderful the UFO transformers are in an amp, and there seems no way I'll have them in my Torii.  I really don't want to buy and buy again but then again music playback is so important in my life, I'm retired and able to enjoy hours of it, and it makes sense to follow the pursuit.

Listening to the Marriott again. Nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15465 - 01/21/18 at 14:25:20

Chet Baker "I Remember  You"

I am playing around with Lucid Mode. So nice to have it adjustable in the Taboo Mk IV. . . a good healthy twist does this recording good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15466 - 01/21/18 at 16:32:04

I'll have to go check out what's going on at the FB Page.  As I recall, Chet Baker's small group music, mainly Trio...Guitar, Bass and Trumpet...were some of the few for which I thought lucid mode worked...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15467 - 01/21/18 at 16:37:39

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15468 - 01/21/18 at 17:48:14

I've never gotten into this one but I'm giving it another try via spotify...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15469 - 01/21/18 at 17:50:49

Uli Lentz "Rainmaker's Dance"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15470 - 01/21/18 at 18:55:04

mark58 wrote on 01/21/18 at 16:32:04:
I'll have to go check out what's going on at the FB Page.  As I recall, Chet Baker's small group music, mainly Trio...Guitar, Bass and Trumpet...were some of the few for which I thought lucid mode worked...

Yes, this is sort of that (there's a bit of piano on this here and there too). And yes, that is the sort of recording the Lucid Mode is suited for in the Taboo Mk III with headphones.

This is however the Taboo Mk IV and you can adjust the Lucid Mode--it is the original Mode up to halfway and the New Lucid Mode after that on the dial. Just a little dab or so is an interesting difference to the whole hog that you get with the Mk III and you can add more until things change in a way you may not like. And I find the Lucid Mode (originally designed for speakers) is different on headphones than with speakers. I like it more as a speaker tool.

The Taboo Mk IV is really impressing me this weekend. There are aspects I miss about the Torii Mk III, and I would enjoy a treble cut circuit, but I'm going to keep the Taboo in as the amp for a spell, an outcome I would not have predicted.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15471 - 01/21/18 at 18:59:48

Gary Crosby's Nu Troop "Migrations"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15472 - 01/22/18 at 12:22:41

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15473 - 01/22/18 at 13:04:45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15474 - 01/22/18 at 14:03:14

Miles Davis "My Funny Valentine" Mobile Fidelity Labs SACD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15475 - 01/22/18 at 14:41:52

Two CD set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15476 - 01/22/18 at 16:22:06

CD #4

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15477 - 01/22/18 at 20:18:05

This one again because I like the music a lot and I like the way it sounds on the system today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15478 - 01/22/18 at 21:52:59

Donald Byrd "Mustang" SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15479 - 01/22/18 at 22:35:56

This is the third of the three Perry leader dates I found, and it sounds great. All three are trios.

Sacha Perry "Not Brand X"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15480 - 01/23/18 at 11:16:39

Via Spotify.  Deciding whether I want this on Vinyl...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15481 - 01/23/18 at 15:51:09

Thomas Marriott "Human Spirit"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15482 - 01/23/18 at 16:59:51

Issam Krimi Trio "Egologue 3" . . . Electronic keys, alto or soprano saxes, drums. Sounds about like you imagine it would!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15483 - 01/23/18 at 19:20:29

Geof Bradfield "African Flowers"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15484 - 01/23/18 at 20:33:18

Helen Merrill "Helen Merrill" Mercury/Universal Japan UHQCD

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15485 - 01/23/18 at 20:49:08

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15486 - 01/23/18 at 21:04:03

Keith Jarrett "Creation"

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15487 - 01/23/18 at 22:50:25

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15488 - 01/24/18 at 13:27:55

Sonny Rollins, "Alfie" Impulse SHM-CD from Universal Japan

Oliver Nelson – arranger, conductor
Sonny Rollins – composer, tenor saxophone
J.J. Johnson – trombone (tracks 1 & 2)
Jimmy Cleveland – trombone (tracks 3-6)
Phil Woods – alto saxophone
Bob Ashton – tenor saxophone
Danny Bank – baritone saxophone
Roger Kellaway – piano
Kenny Burrell – guitar
Walter Booker – bass
Frankie Dunlop – drums

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15489 - 01/24/18 at 14:22:45

Chico Hamilton, "El Exegente: the Demanding One" Flying Dutchman Records/Solid Records Japan CD

The title and cover are a send up of this ad campaign:

THE Chico Hamilton album for Dead Heads!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15490 - 01/24/18 at 15:29:23

Leon Thomas "Live in Berlin" with Oliver Nelson, Flying Dutchman Records/Solid Records Japan cd

Bass – Günter Lenz
Drums – Lex Humphries
Other [Sleevenotes] – Nat Hentoff
Percussion – Sonny Morgan
Piano – Arthur Sterling
Alto Saxophone – Oliver Nelson
Vocals – Leon Thomas

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15491 - 01/24/18 at 15:48:23

Well, I took the tube Steve sent with the ZROCK and cleaned the pins with alcohol and a Q tip.  Put it back in the ZROCK and fired everything up.  Both Channels are working.  So it was a contact or it's an intermittent problem.  If it happens again, I'll retire the tube.  But now that I have a box of 12AU7 types in the Den, rolling will be done.  I have more in boxes a little harder to get to in the closet.  The ZP3 12AU7 was a spot I rolled extensively so lots of choices available here.

Oh, I played a Duke Ellington LP yesterday via spotify then let Spotify play what it chose continuously all day until 4pm. Except for one tune all were favorites of mine.

Now...Speakers Corner is reissuing this on Vinyl...

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15492 - 01/24/18 at 16:48:55

Quote:
The ZP3 12AU7 was a spot I rolled extensively so lots of choices available here.

Mark, did you ever try a 6085 tube in that spot?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15493 - 01/24/18 at 17:08:31

No but I've been reading here about it.  They have gone up a lot in price recently...probably Lon's fault Smiley

My favorite for the ZP3 ended up being a RCA Black plate triple mica 5814.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15494 - 01/24/18 at 18:04:02

I just put my Raytheon back in after having a Philips 6085 (that might be the same as the Amperex).  It seemed to peak the highs too much.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15495 - 01/24/18 at 18:13:55

The 6085 can be too much of a good thing. Used with the ZROCK2 it's perfect for me for some material in the Torii, even more in the Taboo, but ultimately I like the tube Steve sent so much I just leave it in there now.

Listening to a boot I got from Japan that has great sound.

Bob Dylan "Newport Folk Festival: '63, '64 and '65"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15496 - 01/24/18 at 18:38:24

Count Basie "100th Birthday Bash" Roulette 2 CD set

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15497 - 01/24/18 at 20:08:41

Remastered on Tidal Masters:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15498 - 01/24/18 at 20:49:19

Thomas Mariott "Crazy--The Music of Willie Nelson" . . . .

Improbable . . . but it is pretty darned good.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15499 - 01/24/18 at 21:09:50

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 311 312 ... 512
Send Topic Print