Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 309 310 311 312 313 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1860036 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #15500 - 01/25/18 at 12:32:06

Wow Lon, I'm really digging this guy...How could I have never heard him before.  Well he's on my list. I have the ZROCK at about 5/8 EQ A....it's strange, at this level, EQ A and EQ B sound the same... It's amazing how good this sounds streaming from Spotify with the Red Dragonfly Dac and using the ZROCK.  I feel almost like I'm stealing...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15501 - 01/25/18 at 13:07:39

Thomas Marriott is a real talent. Beware. . . a lot of his work has electric keyboards! But he's really something.

The ZROCK2 changes everything doesn't it? Really just lets you find the "right" envelope to seal it all up in.

Any package come from me?

I'm listening to the cd that Steve was listening to last night, recordings of the "show stopper" organ my great great great great great grandfather David Tannenberg built for the Moravian religious community in Salem, North Carolina.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15502 - 01/25/18 at 13:23:15

Lon, I looked for that CD...it wasn't on spotify but i found this on youtube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i3s2kf4LOA

As to the package...open my door yesterday after noon and there is sat on top of a box with a baker's dozen of LPs from ebay.  I haven't opened either but will have to enter the Cave this weekend and give the interconnects a whirl.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15503 - 01/25/18 at 13:33:31

CD #5

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15504 - 01/25/18 at 13:46:51

Yeah, glad that something is on youtube. (I don't do youtube myself, for some reason listening to music on that site just never does it for me).

Glad the package made it. Since an Xmas package I sent to my best friend never made it, I've been a bit anxious about packages this year. I'm interested in hearing about the interconnects, and whether you have the music on the two cds.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15505 - 01/25/18 at 15:43:58

The Chris Byars Octet "Night Owls" Smalls Records CD

I bought this because Sacha Perry is the pianist and it's very good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15506 - 01/25/18 at 16:12:13

I will report Lon.

This Little Feat Live CD...Wow is all I can say!  This is what the ZROCK was made for...just 5/8 turn on EQ A makes it just right...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15507 - 01/25/18 at 20:40:48

Thelonious Monk "The Lost Recordings: Live in Rotterdam 1967" CD version, disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15508 - 01/25/18 at 20:52:44

Lon, you were correct, I liked the Blue Mitchell CD...it had sort of a 70's Big Band vibe... a good thing.

Now CD #1 of this...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15509 - 01/25/18 at 21:21:47

Glad you dug it Mark.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15510 - 01/25/18 at 21:34:14

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15511 - 01/25/18 at 22:54:24

Right now
I hadn't put this back on the shelf yet from earlier this week and so here it goes again. I really like the Ellington ballad.

Donald Byrd "Mustang" Blue Note Universal Japan SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15512 - 01/25/18 at 23:24:04

Miles Davis "Miles in the Sky" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15513 - 01/26/18 at 18:33:11

Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 4 Disc 2

Followed by, for a third spin this week.
The Chris Byars Octet "The Night Owls" Smalls Records

Smalls Records seems to be aiming for that 'fifties and 'sixties Blue Note sound and feel and getting close.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15514 - 01/26/18 at 19:38:36

Sometimes I forget that in 2017 I bought myself the best tuner I've ever had, and after about 15 or more years with NO radio in the house at all I'm out of the habit of listening. So I've put it on and stuck the antenna up and am enjoying some excellent sounding Scriabin courtesy of the excellent listener-supported classical radio station in Lorain, about 65 miles away.

This tuner has been fun to play with as it uses a pair of 6922 type tubes. . . I rolled a few pairs and really like what a pair of Sylvania 7308 does in there. It also has both RCA and XLR output and it takes a 2.5 to 3 meter length to reach my ZTPRE and I purchased some nice WireWorld XLR cabling to use that wasn't too expensive but found that the one 3 meter length of VooDoo Cable Ultralinear RCA interconnects which even with RCA to XLR adaptors sounds better. . . What I am going to try next is running the Wireworld into the ZTPRE and the VooDoo into the second input of the Taboo and compare. It's great that with these Decware systems there's always something to experiment with!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15515 - 01/26/18 at 20:24:11

Alex Hoffman "Dark Lights" Smalls Live Records

Artist      Credit
Keith Balla      Drums
Frank Basile      Sax (Baritone)
Dwayne Clemons      Trumpet
Ned Goold      Sax (Alto)
Brian Heltsley      Executive Producer
Alex Hoffman      Composer, Primary Artist, Producer, Sax (Tenor)
Sacha Perry      Piano
Peter Reardon-Anderson      Sax (Tenor)
William Reardon-Anderson      Sax (Alto)
Frank Sikivie      Bass

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15516 - 01/26/18 at 20:40:22

Put in a newly acquired 1964 white label Amperex 7308.  The seller admitted he doesn't know much about tubes and said he had a simple Hicock tester that only told if the tube was good or not.  The photos showed great lettering and clean/newish pins...so I took a chance for 50 bucks...sounds good

I wish Steve would make a Tube tester for tubes used in his Amps...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15517 - 01/26/18 at 20:46:19

He talked about it Mark, it might happen.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15518 - 01/26/18 at 21:05:10

Thomas Marriott "Individuation
"

Alto Saxophone – Rick Mandyck (tracks: 2, 3, 5)
Bass – Jeff Johnson (8)
Drums – John Bishop (3)
Piano, Electric Piano [Fender Rhodes] – David Budway
Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Thomas Marriott (2)
Vibraphone – Joe Locke (tracks: 2, 4, 5, 8)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15519 - 01/26/18 at 21:07:56

Yup, I remember.  I'd love it.  My problem is I buy tubes intending to record all the info from ebay, then never get to it and the listing disappears. Leaving me with a bunch of tubes...some with little markings.  Anyway, life's an adventure.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15520 - 01/26/18 at 21:17:35

If you find you have too many little white marked Amerexes you can send me some. I'm done buying for a while, but you can never have too many of those.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15521 - 01/26/18 at 21:39:43

Lon, I honestly don't know how many I have... a lot.  I have been stock piling white label Amperex 7308s and 6299s.  As well as quite a few Amperex 12AX7s for the ZP3 but I like the Sylvania 5751's better.

PS... I really should stop but when I see a deal...it's an addiction

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15522 - 01/26/18 at 22:07:03

Don't feel alone. . .I'm addicted to buying things I love too.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15523 - 01/26/18 at 22:26:51

This ebay purchase just arrived...a 1987 release,  minty LP of a 1969 Live concert...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15524 - 01/26/18 at 23:58:38

That's a nice concert. I have it on CD.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15525 - 01/27/18 at 12:53:07

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15526 - 01/27/18 at 13:11:20

A classic. I remember buying this when the two LP set came out and just spacing out over and over. Bremen Lausanne had prepared me for this. .  but still, this was more concentrate lyricism. This led me to a lot of solo piano music, including classical.

Right now I'm re-listening to the Thomas Marriott "Individuation" cd on headphones.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15527 - 01/27/18 at 13:53:11

I'm reliving my High School days.
How could I have liked this garbage?
But it brings back good memories.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15528 - 01/27/18 at 14:06:42

Yes, a wonderful recording that I remember listening to after tough days.  One word comes to mind...Glorious. I can't remember why this album popped into my head this morning but I hadn't heard it in a long time...I have it on CD and Vinyl but couldn't find either if I wanted to now without a search but Spotify now has ECM titles on it so listening there with the Red Dragonfly DAC to my Second system such as it is now.  It's hard to pull myself away from it but I really need to listen in the Cave today...I have more than 15 LPs bought off ebay that haven't been played yet.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth hooking up the ZROCK in the Cave.

I'll listen to that album you have on while I finish my coffee...Keith just finished.... well, after "Questar" that has begun playing... Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15529 - 01/27/18 at 14:33:53

Yes, there's real magic on that Jarrett, it transcends genres and the sound is excellent. I have the LPs I bought when that was first released and somehow I have kept them good but mostly these last years I listen to a 2 gold cd reissue ECM put out. Sounds great.

Hope you get to listen to those LPs! Been about four months since my LP playback left my system, I don't really miss it yet with all the great changes going on.

I'm listening to the Judds. . . my wife's choice, and she's making breakfast (I do meals all week, she makes me breakfast on weekends) and it sounds good. . . but I'd rather. . . but I'm consoled by the fact that those frying onions and potatos smell so good!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15530 - 01/27/18 at 14:46:16

HaHa...I understand.  The Judds are payment for Breakfast Smiley.  I know I have at least two LP copies of that Jarrett album and at least one on CD.  Someday I'd like to think I'll get organized so it would take less than a minute to find the album I want.  Most of the time I find something else to play before I've found what I was looking for. Such is my disorganized Life Smiley...

This Marriott album is pretty good...despite the electric piano Smiley

PS...oooo way too many emojis!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15531 - 01/27/18 at 15:05:03

That's okay . . . nice to see the yellow on the page.

My collection is disorganized too and I like it that way.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15532 - 01/27/18 at 16:10:43

Well, in the Cave now.  After turning everything on I remembered I wanted the new interconnects in the system.  So I discovered with the Torii MK IV while not connected to the CSP3 has some Left speaker noise.  I had noticed this previously and thought it was likely ZP3 tubes but apparently it's not.  I'm hoping it's not one of my new Mullard GZ 32s...but that search is for another day.  It's low enough it's not noticeable with music playing.

This LP first. A 1962 Big Band recording...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15533 - 01/27/18 at 16:25:42

Ok Lon, question.  I have forgotten now that I have the Voodoo Ultralinears out of the Cave...Which end is connected to the Amp.  There are no arrows but there is one black shrink wrapped and one silver shrink wrapped  end.  I think they will live between the Monos and the ZROCK.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15534 - 01/27/18 at 16:44:18

Whoo boy. Well, I don't have the answer, I don't remember how I set that pair up. The Ultralinear I have still, the 3 Meter, has identical ends and no arrows as well, that's why I had scotch tape on one end of each. If there's scotch tape or a remnant of scotch tape on any end, that's the "receiving" end, or in this case the amp end.

I would say whichever you choose if it sounds as if it's a little fuzzy or off, try it the other way and keep whichever sounds right.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15535 - 01/27/18 at 16:59:48

Well, I didn't even think about them not having arrows and didn't pay attention when disconnecting them.  I was wrong...all ends have silver shrink but one has the Black Voodoo logo and the other end Gold lettering. No Tape.  I'll experiment...I don't think it will make any difference.

PS...just to make sure I have it right...the arrows always point towards Amp/speakers...right?

LP #2 of this set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15536 - 01/27/18 at 17:05:43

That's how mine is too, why I put tape on one end! Right, the arrows always point away from the source end. . . so yes, towards amps and speakers.

I probably had the end with the gold lettering as the source end. . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15537 - 01/27/18 at 17:17:23

That's how I hooked them up earlier...great minds... Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15538 - 01/27/18 at 17:27:22

Cool. Probably was the way I had it. Happy listening. My house has been turned to Lucy's favorite network now, HGTV, the "White Entertainment Network." LOL

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15539 - 01/27/18 at 17:31:12

Next an LP released in 1973 of a Chuck Mangione Concert with the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra in Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada....

PS...this has Jeff Tyzik...with his last name spelled as it was when he was born.  He is currently the Principal Pops Director of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra...

PSS...this has Joe La Barbera on drums in Mangonie's quartet...You know who he is Lon!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15540 - 01/27/18 at 18:13:50

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15541 - 01/27/18 at 18:55:16

Yes, my youngest brother, then a trumpeter in high school band and at college, played this and other Mangione albums a lot, I know them. Joe was a good drummer, even if I prefer his work with Bill Evans. . . Wink

Got your package just now Mark and put the cables in. Thanks for going along with my proposed trade, these upped the sound quality in my second system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15542 - 01/27/18 at 19:45:03

Glad the cables are working out so well.  I would have only done it for you.  I like some Chuck Mangione sometimes...not the Pop stuff that came in the late 70's onward.

This LP now is surprisingly good...all Herbie Hancock Compositions arranged by Bob Mintzer for Big Band and performed Live at Montreux in July of 1980...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15543 - 01/27/18 at 19:52:29

Next LP...Gotta get me some Joe...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15544 - 01/27/18 at 19:53:14

Well now you're making me feel special!

No music for me for a while. Sometimes it's torturous, sometimes it's not. Today it's torturous enough I've decided to go grocery shopping!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15545 - 01/27/18 at 19:57:43

Yikes...it's bad when you choose to go Grocery Shopping  :P

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15546 - 01/27/18 at 20:00:39

Oh I do almost all the cooking so almost all the grocer shopping. But during weekday mornings; it's not really fun on Saturday afternoon when most everyone else is doing theirs.

But I can handle it, I'm made of tough stuff. I'm off!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15547 - 01/27/18 at 20:01:38

I couldn't remember the last time I was in the Cave spinning Vinyl...I looked back...it was Jan. 14th, almost two weeks ago...Geez.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15548 - 01/27/18 at 20:36:43

Another great one from the One O'Clock Lab Band from 1979...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15549 - 01/27/18 at 21:40:31

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 311 312 313 ... 512
Send Topic Print