Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1860384 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #15550 - 01/27/18 at 22:11:38

Next LP...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15551 - 01/28/18 at 12:49:32

Lon, I PM'd you...

CD #1 of 3...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15552 - 01/28/18 at 13:08:25

The ZROCK with about 3/4 turn on EQ B really helps this recording...

PS...on the prior recording I was hearing some intermittent distortion in the right channel...very minor.  I switched to an Amperex 12AU7 in the ZROCK...no change, then replaced the input tubes in the monos to different 7308s...no change.  I think it may be the recording.  Next listening session I'll switch the Monos so the other amp will be driving the right speaker.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15553 - 01/28/18 at 16:52:18

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15554 - 01/28/18 at 17:51:59

CD #2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15555 - 01/28/18 at 19:07:33

Driving myself a little crazy here.  On one track I had distortion again with the Mingus.  Long story short...The Monos now have new NOS OA3s, New NOS SV83s, different used RCA 5V4G-STs, and different Amperex 7308s.  The distortion remained.  So I hooked the CD player to my Taboo MK IV Amp and listened with Audeze Cans...still distortion...so it's either the recording or the Jolida 100 that has two Raytheon Black Plate 12AX7's in it.  I'm exhausted.  :)

the Next easy thing to do is play the CD in the Cave System to see if it's the recording...which I'm hoping since it'll be a PITA to get to the tubes in the Jolida CDP.

Oh well, fresh tubes in the Monos now...  I really didn't want to find an internal problem in one of the Monos...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15556 - 01/28/18 at 19:21:55

This CD had some distortion in the right channel intermittently.  Going to see if it's there after the tube changes...

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #15557 - 01/28/18 at 20:04:33

I have heard many many CD's and digital files with unexplainable distortion, so many in fact that it has contributed to my less than stellar attitude about digital from time to time. Be great if you could point to a scratch and say - yup that's it. But sadly that is almost never the case.  
I bring this up because it's easy to get hung up on one CD and drive yourself mad trying to find the problem. You don't even want to know how many times this has made my phone ring.

Also, it has been my observation that the more transparent an amplifier is, the easier this is noticed.

I should also point out that the same is true with LP's. Sometimes there are just issues with the pressing that you own.  

At least the distortion is in one place most of the time.  

One of my problems with CD's in particular is that when I began the long process of doing error free rips to get a bit perfect copy - many of the CD's had so many errors that it tools hours to rip. I used to write down the track and sector locations for each error until I noticed that the errors show up in different places each time you try to rip the same CD.

Anyway, it's a great topic because a lot of the issues people hear with high-end amplification is artifacts and distortions in the recording itself.

Want to find out if there really IS distortion on the CD, just post the track here on the forum and have everyone stream it with Tidal and see what the results are.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15558 - 01/28/18 at 20:36:34

Thanks Steve.  I think the only reason I obsessed a bit this time when I heard distortion is because it has occurred with two CDs in less than a week.  Now I have these two CDs to check with the Torii and a different CD player...both a Denon CD/SACD player as well as another Jolida 100.  I'm hoping it's the CDs but if not, I'll dig the Jolida 100 out and give it a fresh pair of 12AX7s.

In regards to Vinyl, is it my imagination or are the new reissues more prone to defects...warps, non-fill etc than with the 70's and 80's era Vinyl...sure seems that way.  I've only returned one LP since I started back into Vinyl but if I returned every LP that had a defect, I'd be sending back about 25% of them.  Thanks again, Mark.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15559 - 01/28/18 at 20:51:28

I find a lot of scratch type defects but not so much warps, etc.  Off center is common-ish too.  I wasn't as picky back in the day.  My stylus couldn't track deep in the grooves.  Some older lps that look bad play noiselessly since deep in the groove is untouched.   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15560 - 01/28/18 at 21:08:12

Ha Archie.

This CD now... ZROCK 3/4 turn of EQ B

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15561 - 01/29/18 at 01:43:36

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15562 - 01/29/18 at 02:38:04

This will be it for the day... About 5/8 turn on the ZROCK EQ A

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15563 - 01/29/18 at 15:06:52

Chris Byars, "Photos in Black, White and Gray" Smalls Records

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15564 - 01/29/18 at 15:08:37

Via spotify...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15565 - 01/29/18 at 15:17:46

Ok Lon, give me a couple Sasha Perry albums that are your favorites...I have to try him...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15566 - 01/29/18 at 15:20:06

He only has three as a leader.

My favorite of the three is "The Third Time Around" and second is "Eretic."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15567 - 01/29/18 at 15:31:34

Thanks Lon, "Third Time Around" is loaded and waiting for the above to finish...

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-third-time-around-mw0000495516

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15568 - 01/29/18 at 15:45:20

You can see from the cover that he's channeling Bud Powell. If you don't really dig Bud Powell. . . Sacha Perry doesn't have much to offer.

images_001.jpeg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15569 - 01/29/18 at 16:42:10

Bobby Hutcherson "Wise One"

Bass – Glenn Richman
Drums – Eddie Marshall
Guitar – Anthony Wilson
Piano – Joe Gilman
Vibraphone – Bobby Hutcherson

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15570 - 01/29/18 at 17:54:39

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15571 - 01/29/18 at 18:31:46

Bob Dylan, "Knocked out Loaded" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15572 - 01/29/18 at 18:39:05

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15573 - 01/29/18 at 19:57:14

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15574 - 01/29/18 at 22:13:46

Sasha Dobson (with the Chris Byars Octet) "The Darkling Thrush" Smalls Records

I bought this because a) Sacha Perry is on piano and b) it was cheap c) I'm starting to like Smalls Records quite a bit. It's pretty good--the band is better than the singer.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15575 - 01/30/18 at 00:49:45

CD #1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15576 - 01/30/18 at 14:26:58

Miles Davis "Bootleg Series Vol. 4" Disc 1

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15577 - 01/30/18 at 17:30:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15578 - 01/30/18 at 18:05:54

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15579 - 01/30/18 at 18:37:33

This two CD set was bought at Amazon a 24 bit Fresh Sound offering with four Charlie Rouse albums...playing CD #2...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15580 - 01/30/18 at 19:21:34

Weather Report "I Sing the Body Electric" from the new complete box set from Europe.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15581 - 01/30/18 at 19:45:51

Jackie McLean "One Step Beyond" Blue Note SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15582 - 01/30/18 at 21:28:01

Duke Ellington "Ellington Indigos" Columbia. . . this is the Gold CD from Impex . . . .

Great for showing off how resolving the system is. Which I'm not doing right now. . . just checking out the results of tube rolling the last few days.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15583 - 01/31/18 at 00:06:27

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #15584 - 01/31/18 at 17:45:18

Just saw Johnny A last night at the Triple Door in Seattle. I picked up his new cd "Driven". The vinyl was 40 bucks and I couldn't quite do it.

driven_vinyl.jpg

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15585 - 01/31/18 at 18:42:44

Man, I like this album more and more as time goes by.

Ed Motta "Perpetual Gateway"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15586 - 01/31/18 at 19:39:58

Carmen McRae "For Lady Day Vol. 2"

Bass – John Leftwich
Drums – Donald Bailey
Piano – Marshall Otwell
Tenor Saxophone – Zoot Sims
Vocals – Carmen McRae

Recorded live at the Blue Note Club, New York, December 12,1983

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15587 - 01/31/18 at 20:01:15

Miles Davis "Nefertiti" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15588 - 01/31/18 at 20:55:32

Heremeto Pascoal & Big Band "De Natureza Universal" Wow this one grows on me more and more. Fascinating music.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15589 - 01/31/18 at 21:43:24

John Zorn...The Circle Maker...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15590 - 02/01/18 at 00:47:34

Avishai Cohen at Nancy Jazz Pulsations 2015...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqsSYvnUyR0

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15591 - 02/01/18 at 02:10:23

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Jazz in Marciac (2007)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3IcXAZwPc8

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15592 - 02/01/18 at 11:15:26

The mail lady brought me two LPs and two Amperex 6085s yesterday.  I have put a 6085 in the ZROCK and a little Joni in the CD Player.  Let's see what happens...

PS...the etchings on both tubes have delta 7...so I assume that's Holland made in 1967...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15593 - 02/01/18 at 11:33:21

CD #2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15594 - 02/01/18 at 13:25:07

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15595 - 02/02/18 at 15:46:38

The stereo SACD. This is my favorite stereo version of the early albums. "The Ballad of Hollis Brown" especially sounds great in stereo. I like the mono SACDs as well. Most of the early albums sound better in mono.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #15596 - 02/02/18 at 16:34:08

$5 record store find. LP in near mint condition!
'Focus 3'

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15597 - 02/02/18 at 19:57:25

After a few hours of "Memo Madness" on the tube, then some snow shoveling, and then some household chores, Fiona the dachshund and I are taking a "chill pill" spell listening to

Antonio Carlos Jobim, "Stone Flower" (the CTI Supreme Blu-Spec CD version this time)

And then
"John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman" (the UHQCD version this time)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15598 - 02/03/18 at 11:54:50

Testing two newly arrived Amperex White Label 1965 7308s in the Monoblocks...

PS...even right outta the box these 7308s sound great...and the ability of the ZROCK II to get the treble just right is a joy.  A bit too hot...turn the knob a bit more.  What I have found I like doing is turning the knob all the way to the right, then gradually turn it towards neutral until exactly the right balance for my tastes is reached.  Those who are skeptical that the ZROCK could improve your system ...think again.  I was in your shoes and after 17 days, I tell you this is one of the best investments you could make in your Hi Fi system.  And let me tell you a secret, I have tried three different tubes in the ZROCK...they all sound a bit different, but like in the ZP3, they all sound good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15599 - 02/03/18 at 12:34:52

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 ... 512
Send Topic Print