Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #15650 - 02/10/18 at 13:59:51

Yeah, the Mk IV DOES sound better, but using it as the speaker amp I don't want to have to connect and disconnect the speakers, and the Mk III does sound great. These are such great headphone amps.

My girls Lucy and Fiona are up now so the stereo is off. . . ah well.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15651 - 02/10/18 at 15:03:45

Syd, that Miles in Berlin LP just arrived a couple days ago...a newly released Speakers Corner 33 rpm vinyl reissue.  It is waiting for me in the Cave.  I'll get there when I'm finished drinking my coffee...

Yes Lon, this Taboo MK III is how I started my journey back into Hi Fi and Decware in particular.  I hadn't used it for years but since moving it in the den with my second system, I find myself using it much more for streaming off the internet...

This one now..

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15652 - 02/10/18 at 16:08:59

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15653 - 02/10/18 at 16:09:05

That Miles is the first official recording of Miles with the Quintet other than a few studio sides that were done with the Quintet and Bob Dorough a few months before. I think it's interesting to hear Wayne figuring the ways to fit in with the well-oiled machine that was Ron-Tony-Herbie at that time.  I still think the one LP in the two LP set that was the first US release of this date is better sounding than any cd of it I've heard.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15654 - 02/10/18 at 17:42:15

Sneaking one in over speakers. . . Yazz Ahmed "La Saboteuse" . . . a beautiful sounding CD.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15655 - 02/10/18 at 17:59:20

CD #3...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15656 - 02/10/18 at 18:19:40

Keith Jarrett Trio "At the Blue Note"

Now Disc II

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15657 - 02/10/18 at 19:15:48

In the Cave.  I put the Amperex 7308s back into the Torii MK IV that had been there for years.  The Amperex white label 6299 on the left channel had apparently gotten a little noisy.  The noise previously in the left speaker is gone...dead quiet again.  Also put newly acquired Voodoo Stradivarius Cremona interconnects in between the CSP3 and The Torii MK IV...so both pairs of interconnects in the analogue path are the same now.  I haven't tried the ZROCK in here yet.   I'd probably have to buy a second one if I did... Smiley

This LP to warm things up...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15658 - 02/10/18 at 19:55:43

A Speakers Corner 33 RPM reissue...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15659 - 02/10/18 at 20:00:19

Glad you have that interconnect symmetry going. Yeah, best not to try the ZROCK2 there.  .  . I too would be tempted to get another for my second system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15660 - 02/10/18 at 20:19:44

This LP from a recent Ebay buy...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15661 - 02/10/18 at 21:07:50

Another recent Ebay LP purchase...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15662 - 02/10/18 at 22:30:15

Bit of an extended break between tracks of the Miles in Berlin there Mark, I had to go out .....Anyway, just finished listening to it. It is really good, I bet the S Corner issue is great. I'll definitely be getting a vinyl version as soon as I get through decorating at the new place. Also picked up the ' A tribute to Jack Johnson' on cd.
Oh, that bootleg series with the K O B line up is a must. I've seen a direct from metal copy I want.
These cd's are a bit like fast food at the moment. Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15663 - 02/10/18 at 22:46:42

More ebay LPs...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15664 - 02/10/18 at 22:53:46

OK Syd, what Bootleg Series CD/LP has the "Kind Of Blue" Line up?  Bill Evans didn't record much with Miles so I definitely would want any new tracks I don't have....

PS...after this LP, I think I'll shut down the Vinyl Therapy Session even though I still have unplayed ebay LPs.  Need food...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15665 - 02/10/18 at 23:16:29

Vol.4 of the Bootleg Series has the Newport date with Evans. There's also Jazz at the Plaza which I'm sure you know that has Evans. There is also about an album or so worth of other bootleg material not yet officially released. The attached photo is the most recent cd release of this material, cheap on Amazon.

51CQm5U3CvL.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15666 - 02/11/18 at 01:18:04

Thanks Lon, that CD has broadcast performances in 58/59.  Four tracks with Evans. Not the Newport performances.  I'll pick it up sometime.  What does the 90's era Jazz Masterworks double CD set with Monk and Miles have...is it the 55 and or the 58 tracks with Miles?  Maybe Monk Newport 63...I can't remember. I see there is a 4 CD set in the bootleg series that will have several 1960 Tour Dates with Coltrane in the Miles Davis Quintet. I have some already but likely will repurchase them on this set.

Back in the Den listening to the Taboo/Audeze team via Spotify...this now...and watching the Olympics muted...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15667 - 02/11/18 at 01:48:26

I looked it up...the set below has Monk at Newport 1963 and Miles Davis at Newport 1958 with Bill Evans...

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Thelonious-Monk-Live-At-Newport-1958-1963/re...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15668 - 02/11/18 at 03:12:21

Right that disc has the same Newport performance that is on Vol. 4 of the Miles Davis Bootleg Series. . . on Vol. 4 it sounds better. The question was which Bootleg Series volume had the KOB band and it is Vol. 4.  I didn't say that the cd with broadcast performances had the Newport, I said it was additional material with Evans.

Vol. 6 of the Bootleg Series is coming out March 23 and has the 1960 European performances, they're all interesting. I ordered the Japanese Blu-Spec 2 version. . . I have all these in other versions but what the heck.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15669 - 02/11/18 at 17:55:37

I was thinking of the 1958 Miles seen here earlier. Apparently featuring tracks with kob line up.

from allmusic;
 This wasn't released until the 70's, but it is absolutely essential jazz. Other than track 5, this is the amazing ensemble that appears on "Kind of Blue". Like on "Kind Of Blue", the horns of Coltrane and Adderley are tempered by Bill Evans' piano style and Jimmy Cobbs' brushing of the drums so the result is a delicate, soft style.
Was this review helpful to you?

Jeremy Feldman
July 1, 2016

On Green Dolphin Street is one of my all time favorite Miles recordings. There's just something perfect about the arrangement, the attack, and the Cannonball and Coltrane solos. But, it's Evans and Miles' performances that stand out -- the interplay between the two is just gorgeous music making, plain and simple. Kind of surprised this album hasn't been reviewed by the All Music staff reviewer -- it deserves more attention.
Was this review helpful to you?

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15670 - 02/11/18 at 17:59:53

Ah yes, that material . . .that was officially released as one side of the LP "Jazztrack" (the other side had the soundtrack material from  "Lift to the Scaffold" and then later via Japanese and US reissue cds. It's not a "Bootleg Series" release--when you put that in your post I think that threw both Mark and I off. . . certainly threw me off.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15671 - 02/11/18 at 18:49:54

Ah Syd, I love the tracks on that Jazz Track and 1958 Miles album with Evans. I have the Japanese Mono CD reissued in 1986.  It doesn't have the two alternate tracks some of the more recent CD issues have.  I haven't seen a reasonably priced 1958 Miles on vinyl but I continue to watch...most are sold from Japan so shipping is high. The Miles/Coltrane Box set has all these cuts.  I agree with your quote...the version of "On Green Dolphin Street" here is wonderful...I'm listening now Smiley

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-1958-Miles/release/2123862

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Jazz-Track/master/64705

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15672 - 02/12/18 at 15:11:47

Lucinda Williams, "The Ghosts of Highway 20"
Disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15673 - 02/12/18 at 16:34:28

Babysitting my Dad while Mom plays Bridge.  So using Sennheiser ear buds to Red Dragonfly DAC to laptop to listen to spotify...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15674 - 02/12/18 at 17:58:44

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15675 - 02/12/18 at 20:40:40

Geoff Muldaur's Futuristic Ensemble "Private Astronomy"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15676 - 02/13/18 at 15:29:23

Sun Ra "Cosmo Earth Fantasy"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15677 - 02/13/18 at 16:08:46

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15678 - 02/13/18 at 16:46:55

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15679 - 02/13/18 at 17:13:00

OK, I'm an obsessed man on a Mission.  When I played the Getz/Gilberto #2 CD there were some tracks with notable distortion so I was again fretting ..."is it the CD or my CD player?".  Well there was one tube in my second system I hadn't changed or otherwise checked...an Ediswan Brown Base coke bottle GZ 32 with the code 3C7 (anyone tell me what year that is?).  I had been reluctant to mess with it because in has a loose base...anyway, took it out and replaced with what I think is a Sylvania 5V4G labeled Emerson.  No change, distortion still present.  Anyway decided to listen to spotify so began Lizz Wright, then thought...play the Getz album...bingo...same distortion on the spotify version of the album.  Now playing this Dave Holland album via spotify that had some distortion on certain tracks.  I really don't want to have to dig out my CD player...hoping I find the same problem on the streaming version as on the CD.  I hate it when I listen to the recording rather than relaxing and hearing the music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15680 - 02/13/18 at 17:31:59

That can be really annoying, I understand how you feel. I hope you can isolate it and get back to enjoying the music.

Right now

Disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15681 - 02/13/18 at 17:50:57

Ha. MFer, there it is...same channel same distortion on this streaming album as on the CD.  We are getting somewhere now.  I'll go see if that Mingus CD is on spotify next....after this album is finished...

PS...and another track with distortion.  You would think they would hear this on playback on their monitors in the studio?  Maybe their system isn't as sensitive?  But the fact that it has occurred with both streaming albums and the same albums on CD would seem to exonerate my CD player as the cause.  

PSS...played a couple tracks of the CD where I heard distortion.  Yup, it's the recording not my system!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15682 - 02/13/18 at 18:47:03

Next this CD...can't remember where I heard the distortion but we'll see...

PS...second track CD #1 has distortion in places.  Went to the same tune on spotify...same thing.  OK, now I can just relax knowing all is well in the System...just poor recordings. Wink

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15683 - 02/13/18 at 19:10:06

Cécile McLorin Salvant ‎– Dreams And Daggers

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15684 - 02/13/18 at 20:16:54

I hope that's all there is to it. Guess you're hearing more in your recordings lately!

I like to listen to this one when I make changes for evaluation purposes. Sounding really nice today, this is the RVG SHM-CD edition from 2009 (King Records Japan cd)

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Stone Flower"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15685 - 02/13/18 at 20:44:49

Now onto another Tom Jobim cd, this time "Elis&Tom" -- two Brazilian powerhouse vocalists. The one I have is a CD/DVD combo (audio DVD only) and this time I'm listening to the CD. Bass. . . bass. . . BASS.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15686 - 02/13/18 at 21:45:59

John Coltrane "Ascension" Impulse! Japan 2015
Edition I

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15687 - 02/14/18 at 22:20:45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15688 - 02/15/18 at 15:10:09

John Coltrane "Edition 1" (Take 2) Japan Impulse latest cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15689 - 02/15/18 at 17:35:43

Bobby Hutcherson "Oblique" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15690 - 02/16/18 at 19:09:33

Hermeto Pascoal "No Mundo Dos Sons" . . . disc 1. Wow. This is INSANE music. It's great, but it's crazy.

Lots of older cats mellow. Not Hermeto.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15691 - 02/16/18 at 19:12:59

Lon wrote on 02/16/18 at 19:09:33:
Hermeto Pascoal "No Mundo Dos Sons" . . . disc 1. Wow. This is INSANE music. It's great, but it's crazy.

Lots of older cats mellow. Not Hermeto.

https://image.ibb.co/kvGX0F/capa_hermeto.jpg

https://www.sescsp.org.br/files/blog/932a8fe2/de36/4ceb/a385/921f350af9a8.jpg

Hermeto even predicted how I would look on my first listen. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15692 - 02/16/18 at 19:51:29

I love this one. More and more as time goes by. Moody, enveloping, thought-provoking. This is the Blu-Spec CD2.

Bob Dylan "Time out of Mind"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15693 - 02/17/18 at 13:26:52

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15694 - 02/17/18 at 14:25:46

George Cables, Joe Locke, Lewis Nash Live at Dizzy's 2015 - The Music of Dexter Gordon 1st Set...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPJ3l4_DgBU

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15695 - 02/17/18 at 15:12:48

Ed Reed Trio with special guest George Cables, bassist Ugonna Okegwo, and drummer Akira Tana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWlEPLGTGiA

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15696 - 02/17/18 at 15:44:13

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15697 - 02/17/18 at 16:22:49

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15698 - 02/17/18 at 17:15:00

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15699 - 02/17/18 at 20:36:26

More nutty Pascoal music.

Hermeto Pascoal, "Zabumbe-Bum-A" Warner Bros. Japan CD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 314 315 316 ... 512
Send Topic Print