Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #15750 - 02/28/18 at 18:02:42

Count Basie "Live at the Sands (Before Frank)" Mobile Fidelity SACD

Lockjaw is great on this. Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis is great on record from the forties on, but man he was a great fit with the Basie band!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15751 - 02/28/18 at 19:13:28

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15752 - 02/28/18 at 19:19:48

If only this weren't quite so compressed. . . Prince "Planet Earth."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15753 - 02/28/18 at 21:58:38

Stanley Turrentine "Salt Song" CTI

Man, the system is sounding good today. With cryo'd 6N1P in the ZTPRE and the Taboo Mk IV and just the right (Amperex 6211) tube in the ZROCK2 I've got dynamics and a nice frequency balance to play with.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15754 - 03/01/18 at 19:45:06

The newest release of the Trio. . . though it's a nearly ten years old performance. Niiiiiiice.

Keith Jarrett Trio "After the Fall" ECM 2 CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15755 - 03/01/18 at 20:45:39

I love the tune that opens this "Moonchild/Your Quiet Place," a Jarrett tune Gary recorded with Keith for their album together on Atlantic.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15756 - 03/01/18 at 22:14:22

Gary Burton "Throb" Atlantic, Warner Japan CD.

From 1969
Gary Burton — vibraphone, piano
Richard Greene — violin
Jerry Hahn — guitar
Steve Swallow — bass
Bill Goodwin — drums

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #15757 - 03/02/18 at 15:57:15

Systems sounding so good these days...Record store finds:
Got both LP's for total cost of $4....Nice!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15758 - 03/02/18 at 16:06:59

Saw the great and not yet late Jimmy Heath with the UNT One O'clock Jazz Lab Band last night.  Jimmy is 91 years old and still playing well and not only standing the whole concert but doing a little dancing...he's sharp as a tack. He was around and played with the founders of Be Bop...a man worthy of the term "Living Legend". I also picked up 6 year's worth of One O'clock Lab Band yearly Studio recordings on CD...2012 through 2017...already have 2017 on Vinyl , the others weren't offered on Vinyl...  So got some listening to do.  This first...2012...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15759 - 03/02/18 at 17:32:34

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15760 - 03/02/18 at 18:48:07

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15761 - 03/02/18 at 19:46:26

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15762 - 03/02/18 at 20:49:48

O

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15763 - 03/02/18 at 20:58:45

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15764 - 03/02/18 at 21:10:53

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15765 - 03/03/18 at 01:11:24

CD #3 of 4.  This is improved by the ZROCK II quite a bit...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15766 - 03/03/18 at 13:27:32

It's been a Chet Baker morning ... Spotify>laptop>Red Dragonfly DAC>Taboo MK III Amp> Audeze LCD 2s with Toxic Cables Silver Widow Balanced headphone cables ...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15767 - 03/03/18 at 13:49:04

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15768 - 03/03/18 at 15:03:00

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15769 - 03/03/18 at 16:05:27

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15770 - 03/03/18 at 17:00:34

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #15771 - 03/03/18 at 17:26:21

Yesterday, a few rainy day LP spins in California....nice!

IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15772 - 03/03/18 at 17:32:58

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15773 - 03/03/18 at 22:38:12

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15774 - 03/04/18 at 00:08:32

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15775 - 03/04/18 at 01:17:10

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15776 - 03/04/18 at 02:05:15

Lon, I just ordered several CDs from Amazon but found pre ordering that Miles Davis Bootleg Series No. 6, 4 CD set was much cheaper at Amazon Germany... $28.96 including shipping.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15777 - 03/04/18 at 02:29:28

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15778 - 03/04/18 at 09:52:24

Right, I had it on order there as well. But then decided to get the Japanese Blu-Spec CD2 version instead . . . more expensive, but in comparing some of the other volumes I like the Blu-Spec CD2 versions better. And as I have all this material on other discs anyway might as well get the best sounding version if I'm going to buy it again.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15779 - 03/04/18 at 10:56:32

Lon, I still haven't bought from Japan.  I guess I'm afraid it'd be opening Pandora's Box Smiley.  Let me know how great the improvement is. They only have the Copenhagen part on LP and it amounts to three tunes when you subtract the Intro and Theme, so I passed on that.

This on XRCD now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15780 - 03/04/18 at 11:45:48

Another XRCD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15781 - 03/04/18 at 12:31:58

CD #5...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15782 - 03/04/18 at 12:50:35

Japan is the only game in town for some of the releases I want and really not as expensive to buy as it used to be.

The Bootleg Series improvements. . . well they're not drastic but when you have the type of systems we have they are audible and significant enough. . . for me.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15783 - 03/04/18 at 13:09:44

Lon, I've got the "New" used ZROCK II set up in my second system as well as two pair of the Voodoo Renaissance Interconnects.  It will require some digging to get the third pair on the Jolida CDP and I'm too lazy at the moment...maybe if I spin vinyl in the second system, I'll put the other pair there temporarily. This ZROCK II came with a Cream Chicken Head Knob and I have to say I love it.  I know exactly where things are set unlike the gold knob on the other one.  Things sounding great here.  Mark.

PS... I found myself looking at ebay sellers for PS Audio CD Transport and DAC combos...I'm scaring myself Smiley.  But I figure I am spending far more time listening to CDs in the second system than Vinyl in the primary system so maybe if a great deal comes along, I'll pull the trigger. But IMO, the Jolida 100 can't be beat for the 400 to 500 bucks it costs used.

PSS...of course, Lon, I expect you to alert me if you see a deal....that goes for everyone here.  PM me if you find a good deal, Please  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15784 - 03/04/18 at 13:55:23

I'm glad you have that chicken head knob. I do see the aid that it would make visually though they just look too much like guitar amp knobs for me and I love love love the look and feel of the ebony knobs. And Steve set those up so that the set screw that holds it on is the indicator which works well for me too. Can't wait to get the Monoblocks with their ebony knobs.

In time I might get a second ZROCK2 for my second system. . . but I haven't turned that system on in weeks, I should probably just dismantle it and when I get the Monoblocks the Taboo Mk III can go back up there and I'll just use it for infrequent headphone listening . . . that's what I've done up there more than anything anyway. I don't need the ZROCK2 for headphone use.

I'll let you know if I see good deals on the PS Audio gear but. . . those suckers are going to cost you even at great deal prices.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15785 - 03/04/18 at 19:18:14

Grant Green "Oleo" SHM-CD Japan

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15786 - 03/04/18 at 21:53:49

I had planned on spinning some Vinyl after finishing a task I had to do and grabbing a bite to eat but then I opened my door and there sat the three double CD sets I ordered yesterday from Amazon.  So fired up the Monos again.  This first...CD #1...Love this cover Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15787 - 03/04/18 at 22:53:47

CD #1...Cécile McLorin Salvant - "Dreams And Daggers"

PS... I hadn't thought about it but all four double CD sets I bought yesterday were Live recordings...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15788 - 03/04/18 at 23:28:37

CD #2...

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #15789 - 03/05/18 at 01:51:56

Sorry, no pictures.
Listening to Ed Sheeran " DIVIDE "
dbl 45 rpm vinyl.
If you like Sheerran, a MUST.
If you don't like or know him, a MUST.
The sonics are to die for. Clear, articulate, musical, and just plain good.
A crazy good singer/songwriter.

Cheers, Crazy Bil

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15790 - 03/05/18 at 16:24:16

These so far...

CD #3...

CD #1...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15791 - 03/05/18 at 18:08:45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15792 - 03/05/18 at 18:57:07

Johnny Hodges "Triple Play" Legacy CD 2017

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15793 - 03/05/18 at 19:34:47

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15794 - 03/05/18 at 19:52:33

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15795 - 03/05/18 at 22:37:36

Charles Tolliver "Impact" Enja/Solid Records CD Japan

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15796 - 03/06/18 at 10:45:53

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15797 - 03/06/18 at 11:34:46

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15798 - 03/06/18 at 16:00:43

Nice younger Scofield here. . . Hal Galper "Ivory Forest" Enja/Solid Records Japan cd.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #15799 - 03/06/18 at 16:23:43

New CD....really like this one!