Wake of the Flood
the Grateful Dead
Released October 15, 1973
Please don't ban me but I just don't get it

Koop Islands (2006)
Koop

Jimmy Carter Man from Plains (2007)
Soundtrack music by various artists

Up from the Skies: The Polydor Years (1998)
Artist: Ellen McIlwaine

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #16301 - 05/20/18 at 12:45:29

Beginning with CD#1 of 8 from this set.  I'd been looking for a reasonably priced copy for a while now. I had the chance to buy one for $89 plus shipping a while ago and missed it trying to get it cheaper so when I saw another I offered $90 and he accepted...so $93.17 shipped...

The Music is glorious of course but the Sound Quality is a notch or two below that of the 1980 Vanguard recordings, still thrilled to finally have it.  FYI, it's available on Spotify for those who want to listen to some of it...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16302 - 05/20/18 at 13:41:27

Yes, I've had that set since it was released. Stellar music.

Right now, Keith Jarrett "Multitude of Angels" Modena. Lucy is STILL ill and I'm one phone call to the doctor away from taking her to the emergency room. Right now she's having extreme side effects to the antibiotics: shakes, tremors, a bit of confusion and balance issues, and I can't get her to eat or drink enough. I wish the doctor would return my call.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16303 - 05/20/18 at 13:42:23

CD 15 of 16...Duo recordings with George Cables on piano...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16304 - 05/20/18 at 13:44:23

Lon, what antibiotic?  If true they should be discontinued.  Mark

Also what is the antibiotic treating...the "Flu" is viral and unaffected by antibiotics.

What were the original symptoms before antibiotics were started?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16305 - 05/20/18 at 13:53:30

Her doctor has given her three different antibiotics for a bad sinus and bronchial infection. I won't list them but she had a ten day treatment, then a shot of antibiotics, then two days later started a five day treatment of stronger stuff. I think it's the pile up of the shot and this last treatment that is giving her the problems. The infections seem to finally be gone other than a few coughing spells (about three yesterday) but the side-effects have hit her hard.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16306 - 05/20/18 at 13:58:28

OK, it does sound Bacterial.  What is coming up when she coughs or blows her nose...color?  Also what is the Name of the current antibiotic she is taking.  What other medications is she on?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16307 - 05/20/18 at 14:05:42

Mark, this is getting beyond the scope of What's Spinning! She's not coughing up phlegm etc. at the moment. The current anti-biotic is azithromycin. She is not on any other medications besides synthroid.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16308 - 05/20/18 at 16:08:44

Artist: Youn Sun Nah
Featured artist: Marc Ribot
Album: She Moves On
Released: 2017

Close Your Eyes
Woong San

Ghosts of the Great Highway (2003)
Sun Kil Moon

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16309 - 05/20/18 at 16:12:35

Lon I know how scary other peoples medical issues can be so my heart goes out to guys.  My two cents, better safe than sorry.  If you are concerned follow your instincts.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16310 - 05/20/18 at 16:20:58

Thanks Dana. I'm going to await the doctor's advice, which may be tomorrow, I don't think she's in danger. . . she woke up with some diminished symptoms just a bit ago.

Right now
Tokyo String Quartet, "Complete Beethoven String Quartets" SACD edition, disc 5

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16311 - 05/20/18 at 16:32:55

Great news!  I'm sure you're almost as relieved as she is.  All the best!

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16312 - 05/20/18 at 16:51:14

Thanks.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16313 - 05/20/18 at 17:20:27

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16314 - 05/20/18 at 17:22:30

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16315 - 05/20/18 at 17:56:31

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16316 - 05/20/18 at 18:15:49

Man, these Monoblocks. . . they're da bomb. I'm so happy to be spending a few hours with them.

Keith Jarrett "At the Blue Note Complete Recordings" Disc III. This may be my favorite disc of the six.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16317 - 05/20/18 at 18:29:17

I haven't really thought about a favorite disc from the box.  I take the one from the far left and when done place it at the far right so after a week or two I've played them all.  If forced to pick, it'd be 2 or 5.  After a Nap, I'll play one of those. Mark Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16318 - 05/20/18 at 18:45:19

I picked CD #5...

PS...I'll take my Nap after "My Romance"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16319 - 05/20/18 at 18:48:36

Yes, they're all good. Something about III. . . the programming is well-balanced, takes me on a nice journey. . . .

I made one tube change today and it's been positive. I had been using my Arcturus OB3 and I really am convinced the OB3 is better than the OA3 for my system. The Arcturus are bottle shaped, and I have a pair of Sylvania that are bottle shaped as well, and I prefer the Arcturus by a few hairs.  I ordered a pair of small straight OB3s from Raytheon to try out and I'm using these today. I must say they added a bit more warmth and body and are perfect for piano trio music. I'll keep playing with them. The only drawback: I thought they would glow violet . . . but they glow orange just like an OA3. Which is okay, I just had to look at them several times to verify they were marked OB3 . . . they're marked OB3a.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16320 - 05/20/18 at 18:59:13

I've only used OA3s in my Monoblocks...they came with some bottle shaped CBS I believe, that I replaced with some NOS 1950's RCA bottle shaped OA3s... I've only rolled rectifiers and input tubes.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16321 - 05/20/18 at 22:56:30

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16322 - 05/21/18 at 13:17:58

mark58 wrote on 05/20/18 at 18:59:13:
I've only used OA3s in my Monoblocks...they came with some bottle shaped CBS I believe, that I replaced with some NOS 1950's RCA bottle shaped OA3s... I've only rolled rectifiers and input tubes.

OB3 lowers the voltage to the input tubes compared to OA3, which softens the sound and attack of the sound a tiny bit. . . I really like this effect on the overall sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16323 - 05/21/18 at 17:10:24

Lars Gullin "Vol.4: Stockholm Street 1959-1960" Dragon Records CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16324 - 05/22/18 at 17:07:31

Well, Lucy is feeling better, on her fourth antibiotic and starting a steroid and a cough suppressant. We had a chest x-ray done yesterday but haven't heard results of that yet. Doctor now thinks she may have pneumonia! Waiting for a call from him. . . he's nice, he was very attentive in the office yesterday, but this is the boonies and I only wish Lucy had the access to the doctor's my Dad does, but she's in a different network. . . . Still no blood test results either, from five days ago. . . promised to be called to us today. . . we'll see.

I'm sneaking in one SACD on the main system, Weather Report, "Night Passages," the newly released SACD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16325 - 05/22/18 at 18:52:30

"Bach Flute Sonatas"  
Stephen Preston (flute), Trevor Pinnock (harpsichord), Jordi Savall (viola da Gamba).

Disc 1

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #16326 - 05/22/18 at 20:20:12

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #16327 - 05/22/18 at 21:04:04

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #16328 - 05/23/18 at 01:16:49

A few nice LP's last evening! Zen sounding so good. I can't imagine how good the new UFO25 will sound.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16329 - 05/23/18 at 02:05:12

Carmen Gomez Inc.
Thousand Shades of Blue

Rough and Steep
Lisbeth Scott

You Want It Darker
Leonard Cohen
released on October 21, 2016, 19 days before Cohen's death

You know when you hear a recording of your're own voice you're always shocked because it doesn't sound like that in your head  This album to me sounds like what it must have sounded like inside Lenord Cohen's head.  It would never sound like that in a concert but man what a voice.

The Orchard (2008)
Lizz Wright

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16330 - 05/23/18 at 03:59:07

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16331 - 05/23/18 at 04:01:53

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16332 - 05/23/18 at 04:03:35

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16333 - 05/23/18 at 18:49:53

Louis Hayes "Serenade for Horace" Blue Note

Bass – Dezron Douglas
Drums – Louis Hayes
Piano – David Bryant
Tenor Saxophone – Abraham Burton
Trumpet – Josh Evans
Vibraphone – Steve Nelson

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16334 - 05/23/18 at 19:48:12

Woody Shaw "At Onkle Po's Vol.1"

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #16335 - 05/23/18 at 21:15:45

Flying Saucer Attack - Self titled

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16336 - 05/24/18 at 19:01:42

Miles Davis "Miles in the Sky" Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs SACD

Wow, this has never sounded better; my new amps really thrill me. I've been listening to this music for over 40 years and it has never sounded better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16337 - 05/24/18 at 20:33:43

Chet Baker "Why Shouldn't You Cry" Enja Japan CD

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #16338 - 05/24/18 at 21:10:59

Arctic Monkeys

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16339 - 05/24/18 at 21:31:56

The Brooks Kerr Paul Quinchette Qiartet . . . . Progressive Records/Solid Records Japan cd

Ellingtonia and Basieland. . . from the Ellington expert and the Vice Pres.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16340 - 05/25/18 at 01:50:13

Brother Sinner & The Whale
Kelly Joe Phelps
Release date: August 21, 2012

Fado Tradicional
Artist: Mariza
Release date: November 29, 2010

Peace Beyond Passion
Me'shell Ndegeocello
Release year: 1996

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16341 - 05/25/18 at 05:39:39

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16342 - 05/25/18 at 05:41:17

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #16343 - 05/25/18 at 16:09:03

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #16344 - 05/25/18 at 16:38:13

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16345 - 05/25/18 at 17:32:57

Larry Coryell "Barefoot Boy" Red Baron Records/Solid Records Japan cd

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #16346 - 05/25/18 at 17:59:13

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #16347 - 05/25/18 at 18:02:44

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16348 - 05/25/18 at 18:18:31

The new SACD . . . Weather Report "Night Passage"

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #16349 - 05/25/18 at 18:32:45

Thought I`d give this Green Corner Ltd ed. a try.
Stereo & Mono versions.
First time I`ve heard it in mono. v/nice

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 327 328 329 ... 512
Send Topic Print