Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #16500 - 06/25/18 at 15:43:35

Cool Mark. The UFO transformers are da bomb!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16501 - 06/25/18 at 16:30:39

Nilsson Schmilsson
Harry Nilsson
Released: 1971

Album: Clear Out of This World
Artist: Helen Merrill
Release year: 1992

Mark,  congrats on the new gear.  I'm really interested in the differences between the two options and you're observations will be helpful.  Also glad you're posting again.  I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to.

First Rodeo (2008)
Artist: HoneyHoney

Hot Buttered Soul
Isaac Hayes
Released: 1969

Hejira
Joni Mitchell
Released in 1976

Pint of Blood
Artist: Jolie Holland + The Grand Chandeliers
Release date: June 24, 2011

Shine Eyed Mister Zen
Kelly Joe Phelps
Released in 1999

Shine Eyed Mister Zen was recorded at Phelps' home with all the tracks recorded in single takes.

The night shines like the day
Kristin Asbjørnsen
Released: 2009

Bewitched
Album: Songs From Movies And Musicals
Artist: Laura Fygi
Release year: 1993

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16502 - 06/25/18 at 16:36:19

Yes Lon, my audio memory is horrible but the sound is nice even with the new manufacture EL 34s...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16503 - 06/25/18 at 18:15:39

Donald Byrd "Off to the Races" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16504 - 06/25/18 at 18:58:24

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16505 - 06/25/18 at 19:10:19

Grateful Dead, July 8, 1978, Red Rocks Ampitheater, Morrison, CO

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16506 - 06/25/18 at 19:23:41

Which two options , Dana?  I have the 2008 Monoblocks with a bunch of mods including bees wax caps but not UFO Transformers, a Torii MK IV, and this Rachael. I have the feeling where my Omega Alinco speakers at about 93dB weren't served so well with my monoblocks, they will be driven better with the 5.8 wpc Rachel.  I need to work up the motivation to move them into the second system from the bedroom. Maybe this weekend?  It usually entails at least a day of back pain afterwards so it takes some time to work up to the move... Smiley

All three of my Amps are great, all sound different.  I would recommend the current models of all three depending on your speakers and other requirements.

PS...forgot about the Taboo MK III.  I should also add that each system has a ZROCK II, CSP3 and ZP3.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16507 - 06/25/18 at 20:12:28

Boy do I uderstand next day back pain.  Sucks getting old but much better than the alternative.  You talked about sounding different and while I'm not sure it's a pro vs con thing but more a combination of a unique sound footprint thing with a weakest link and component matching thing as variables.  For me it's also a finacial vs value thing.  Ok I'll admit it, I'm cheap which seems to directly contradict the search for ultimate sound. I'm also a little lazy which means while I can't seem to sell off my album collection, the thought of cleaning, getting up and turning over the album multiple times every session is almost like churning my own butter.  Why? (self churned butter is probably better...)

I think I'm at a place where it's all about air and space. Whether or not I'm able to get that with digital is the question.  Currently it seems the soundstage front to back is compressed but returning to vinyl is a last resort.  

So my question is: When want to be with Joni where do you go?

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16508 - 06/25/18 at 20:34:16

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16509 - 06/25/18 at 20:35:56

Miles Davis "Bag's Groove" Analogue Productions SACD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16510 - 06/25/18 at 20:40:03

When I want to be with Joni, where do I go?....well it's The Torii MK IV if I want to go vinyl and the Mono Blocks if I want to go CD/Digital.  Rachel is too new but she presented a damn good Joni too.  

If on a budget a good pair of efficient speakers and a 2+ WPC little Zen is all you really need to get started...especially if your source is 2 volts or higher.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16511 - 06/25/18 at 21:31:04

Kasami Washington "The Epic" disc 2

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16512 - 06/26/18 at 00:37:24

Mark, I hear what you're saying that power increases your options for speakers.  I really hope the Rachel gets you front row seats for both you and me as there are a lot more 93db spleakers out there than 100DB ones.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16513 - 06/26/18 at 15:04:58

Miles Davis "Bootleg Series Vol.5: Freedom Jazz Dance" . . . . Disc 3.

The discs in this set have amazing sonics, at least in my system.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #16514 - 06/26/18 at 16:03:20

You never know!
I haven't listened to this LP since I can remember. Probably over 15 years now. I kept passing it by thinking I'd heard it enough, or the engineering/ sound quality will probably be a disappointment. Boy was I wrong. Beautiful sound for such an old recording.
I was smiling all the while! It'll get a few spins these upcoming weeks.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16515 - 06/26/18 at 16:03:42

David Murray Octet "Interboogieology"

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16516 - 06/26/18 at 18:08:03

In a  gadda da vida was my first real rock album.  I probably played it so much the grooves went all the way through to the other side.  It good to hear that it still holds up

Give Me That Slow Knowing Smile
Lisa Ekdahl
Released in 2009

Dreaming Wide Awake
Lizz Wright
Released in 2005

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16517 - 06/26/18 at 19:57:14

96/24 version from the DVD of this CD/DVD combo from Philips.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16518 - 06/26/18 at 21:16:18

Bob Dylan "Street Legal" Blu-Spec CD2

(Remix version for those who need to know)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16519 - 06/27/18 at 15:25:49

Miles Davis "Lift to the Scaffold" complete recordings, on the newly released 2 cd set from Universal (France). New remastering that sounds very good, original soundtrack release material on disc one, all other material, including a previously unreleased track, on disc 2. Very nice booklet.

I'm listening to disc 1.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16520 - 06/27/18 at 15:53:07

Since I was in "Audiophile mode" too long but long enough to get me to this wonderful sonic vista, it's time for another Miles, the one that is in my genes and that I've enjoyed for more than 45 years. . . today in the Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD version (original mix).

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16521 - 06/27/18 at 17:48:59

"The Tender. . . The Moving. . . The Swinging Aretha Franklin" Columbia, from the Complete Columbia Albums box set.

Aretha was one of the few proud originals. Her Columbia period isn't her best but is full of gems.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16522 - 06/27/18 at 20:40:52

Randy Weston-Vishnu Wood Duo "Perspective"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16523 - 06/28/18 at 13:32:47

I've decided today will be spent with Rachael. I decided to give her some of my best tubes...two RFT/Siemens EL-34s from a NOS Quad spare for my Torii...I'm shopping for a pair for Rachel, I don't want to mess up the quad for the Torii, after all.  Then a Mullard 50's GZ-32.  Already have some early 60's Amperex 7308s in there.  Let's see what this Baby can do.

First some One O'Clock Lab Band to get things warmed up...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16524 - 06/28/18 at 14:57:04

I bet you are having some fun with Rachel!

Right now
Kamasi Washington "Heaven and Earth." I'm actually listening to the hidden third disc. "Limbo"?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16525 - 06/28/18 at 15:02:40

Yes Lon, this tube compliment is great.  I knew it would be...They are the tubes currently in the Torii MK IV.  Ella sounds fantastic...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16526 - 06/28/18 at 15:07:46

The UFO transformers are excellent, a real upgrade to any of the amps.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16527 - 06/28/18 at 15:19:14

Lon, with the UFO transformers you have an impedance switch.  I have read the Rachael user manual and it doesn't say which setting is which. I am assuming that forward is high and towards the back is low for 4 ohm speakers.  Seems that's how it is on the Torii...I've forgotten though. I like the sound with the switch forward better anyway...regardless, with the 8 ohm Zu Audio "Souls". Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16528 - 06/28/18 at 15:24:48

Yes, I would guess that forward is high and back is low. Figures those speakers would be best on the high position.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16529 - 06/28/18 at 18:55:19

John Coltrane "Giant Steps" from the "Heavyweight Champion" box set, SHM-CD edition.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16530 - 06/28/18 at 19:53:06

Ben Webster with Strings: Music for Loving. Disc 1.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16531 - 06/29/18 at 00:12:31

Los Super Seven ‎– Los Super Seven
Released: 1998

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16532 - 06/29/18 at 15:51:31

Duke Ellington "Ellington Indigos" from "The Columbia Studio Albums 1959-1961"

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #16533 - 06/29/18 at 17:45:16

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16534 - 06/29/18 at 18:59:43

John Coltrane "Both Directions at Once: the Lost Album"

My copy of the US single cd release just came in. I ordered both the single cd and deluxe 2 cd set from Japan but bundled them in with a few other items not released til July 4 so wanted to hear the main album before then. I was surprised this came in a jewel case. . . nice.

Just beginning to listen and it sounds quite nice, so amazing to be listening to "new" Coltrane music. Of course a new deck is being built in front of my house and there are noises that are sometimes just ten feet from my system. . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16535 - 06/30/18 at 00:23:03

That "New" Coltrane looks interesting.  I'll listen to it on Spotify tomorrow morning.  I love this quartet's output.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16536 - 06/30/18 at 01:42:23

Quiet Little Room
Artist: Mandolin Orange
Release date: April 10, 2010

Mundo
Artist: Mariza
Release date: October 9, 2015

The Art of Tea
Michael Franks
Released in February 1976

Bitches Brew
Miles Davis
Release year: 1969

I must have been 15 or 16 when I purchased this album on 8 track tape.  I don't know why I bought it, probably because it had the word Bitches in it.  I'd heard of Miles Davis and listened to the tape many times but don't think I ever actually got it.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16537 - 06/30/18 at 12:46:00

John Coltrane "Both Directions at Once: the Lost Album"

Again. Nicely mastered. Enjoying the music a lot.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16538 - 06/30/18 at 14:32:30

Lon, these recordings are great.  Trying to decide what versions to get...definitely the 2 CD deluxe but maybe the one LP version...not sure

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16539 - 06/30/18 at 14:45:27

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16540 - 06/30/18 at 16:44:07

CD #2 of 2...

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #16541 - 06/30/18 at 21:47:36

System is sounding wonderful....Good LP's - well engineered are absolutely wonderful to listen to.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16542 - 06/30/18 at 22:14:48

Thomas Marriott "Flexicon"

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16543 - 07/01/18 at 03:55:07

Quiet Nights
Miles Davis with Gil EvRans
Released in 1964

In my mind a much more accessible album than Bitches Brew.  Didn’t get a great review on Wikipedia but I think it shows the versatility of the artist.  Enjoyable.  I don’t listen to Miles much but it’s could be one of those great, late night quiet listens.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16544 - 07/02/18 at 16:43:08

Deodata and Airto "In Concert"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16545 - 07/02/18 at 17:05:43

The Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band "All Smiles" MPS

Most recent cd version, sounds very good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16546 - 07/02/18 at 17:49:40

The Duke Ellington Centennial Edition: Complete RCA Victor Recordings, disc 4

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16547 - 07/02/18 at 19:03:26

Miles Davis "E.S.P." Mobile Fidelity Labs SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16548 - 07/02/18 at 19:56:36

Kasami Washington "Heaven and Earth" disc 1

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16549 - 07/03/18 at 15:43:15

I need to  decide the versions of this I want and place an order...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 331 332 333 ... 512
Send Topic Print