What's spinning? (Read 1866674 times)
Dana
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #16550 - 07/03/18 at 16:14:20

Via Spotify
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (1977)
Joni Mitchell

Mark how's the back?  Were you able to make the move to put Rachel on different speakers?  I'm at the other house  and after 4 hours of weed wacking mine is pretty stiff.  

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16551 - 07/03/18 at 16:23:07

Dana, no I haven't made a speaker switch yet.  I do look at the Monoblocks and the Alinco Omega speakers in my bedroom and think...If I were to dig a CD Player out of my Main system used for Vinyl, I could have a third system...

I'm not too wild about the idea of listening in the bedroom though, to be honest.

Oh, forgot to mention, after a long day at work that did precipitate back pain, I got on ebay and bought a matched pair of RFT EL 34's for Rachael. I had intended on biding on auctions and getting a better deal but thought WTH...I deserve it.  I want to get the two from the Torii Quad back to their place in storage ASAP...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16552 - 07/03/18 at 16:32:29

Mark, that made me laugh.  Is there an AA (audiophile anonymous) that gives out chips for days of leaving stuff well enough alone?

Via Spotify
Dead Bees on a Cake
David Sylvian
Released in March 1999

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16553 - 07/03/18 at 17:35:21

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16554 - 07/03/18 at 18:48:15

I gotta tell you, as much as I love my Torii and monoblocks, if you told me I could only have my Rachel Amp tubed as she is now, I'd be ok  with it.  This tubed with RFT El-34s, Amperex White Label 7308s and a Mullard GZ-32 and of course the UFO Transformers, would be hard to beat...Love it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16555 - 07/03/18 at 19:13:50

I'm laughing somewhat maniacally Mark. There I was myself moving from the Torii to the Taboo with the UFO transformers not at all long ago. And thinking wow how I couldn't be happier. How hard it would be to beat.

I know you have more restraint than I do so I'm going to tell you: it's easy to beat! Just order 25th Anniversary components!

[insert]Evil laugh![/insert]

Right now
Duke Ellington "Such Sweet Thunder"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16556 - 07/03/18 at 19:28:55

Ha Lon, I'm more than happy with what I have and not tempted at all to stick my toe in the 25th Anniversary World.  Maybe in the future when someone moves on from the 25th and wants to sell their gear at a large discount Smiley. If not, I have a lifetime of tinkering to look forward to with what I've accumulated. Mark.

PS...that reminds me, I have a pair of Amperex white label 6922s I need to test and the RCA 807's sitting next to me are waiting on adapters to arrive from China...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16557 - 07/03/18 at 20:22:11

I know Mark. I said that too some months back. Smiley Just know there IS another level if you decide to go there. . . budget priced or not! (Now that I'm there I'm fully glad that I am).

Just got back from a ride to get eggs, got an email asking for them from Lucy . . . and I had just got back from the store. Oy.

Now playing

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16558 - 07/03/18 at 21:48:50

Kasami Washington "Heaven and Earth" Disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16559 - 07/03/18 at 21:53:36

mark58 wrote on 06/30/18 at 14:32:30:
Lon, these recordings are great.  Trying to decide what versions to get...definitely the 2 CD deluxe but maybe the one LP version...not sure

https://img.discogs.com/CSYuETylKeDN-D4vqCJ65FiCBc4=/fit-in/600x595/filters:stri...

It's a hard choice Mark. I went with the 2 cd set from Japan which is an UHQCD, I find that format to have just a bit more of a "non-digital" feel to it and decided to get that one. That is bundled with some other releases I ordered that don't come out til tomorrow, so it will be a week or so before I have them. So I ordered the US single cd which I'll give to my brother when the Japanese arrived (my youngest brother is as big a Coltrane nut as I am but doesn't buy many discs as he has 8 and 10 year old daughters).

I imagine the alternates are worth having and that is the report on other boards, but you may not need the two cd set and maybe the single LP would be the way to go (it's digitally sourced though, and mono. . . )

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16560 - 07/04/18 at 14:04:38

One more time....

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16561 - 07/04/18 at 15:48:55

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16562 - 07/04/18 at 16:52:29

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #16563 - 07/04/18 at 21:13:44

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16564 - 07/05/18 at 14:00:52

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16565 - 07/05/18 at 14:56:27

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16566 - 07/05/18 at 15:20:30

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16567 - 07/05/18 at 16:06:03

Well, I bought Coletrane's "Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album (Deluxe)" double LP set and Mingus', East Coasting (Pure Pleasure)...taking advantage of Soundstage Direct's current 20% discount...ends today...free shipping on orders over $49.99.  I'll buy the Coltrane double CD set on Amazon sometime.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16568 - 07/05/18 at 16:27:24

Cool. Word on the street is the LPs sound good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16569 - 07/05/18 at 17:55:11

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16570 - 07/05/18 at 20:03:39

Well, both my NOS pair of RFT EL-34s and adapters for two 807 power tubes arrived in today's mail...burning in the EL-34s...

The 807s have the adapters in place and are ready to go...maybe tomorrow...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16571 - 07/05/18 at 20:19:07

Kasami Washington "Heaven and Earth" Disc 2

Again. I'm getting into this one.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16572 - 07/05/18 at 20:46:33

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16573 - 07/05/18 at 20:50:32

Helen Merrill "Casa Forte"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16574 - 07/05/18 at 21:53:14

I hadn't put this one back into the Columbia Albums box set, so I'm listening to it again. Great music. . . great recording.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16575 - 07/05/18 at 21:59:58

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16576 - 07/06/18 at 10:57:35

I've put in the Frankenstein-ish 807s into Racheal...I like the look Smiley.  The sound seems nice despite the tubes needing to be broken in.  I'll have to try some more familiar material to get a handle on these.  The ZROCK II is so useful... seems to me it gives us the ability to use multiple types of tubes and tweak them to our individual tastes.

Playing the second CD of the above Live EST set...  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16577 - 07/06/18 at 11:35:48

CD #4 of 6...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16578 - 07/06/18 at 12:53:52

CD #2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16579 - 07/06/18 at 14:14:12

Just bought a quad of RCA 807s to try in the Torii MK IV.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16580 - 07/06/18 at 14:50:43

Bob Dylan "Oh Mercy" Blu-Spec CD2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16581 - 07/06/18 at 15:16:26

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16582 - 07/06/18 at 15:41:18

Dizzy Reece "Manhattan Project" (from the Mosaic Beehive box set).

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16583 - 07/06/18 at 16:50:32

CD #5...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16584 - 07/06/18 at 18:28:18

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16585 - 07/06/18 at 18:52:10

Duke Ellington "Black Brown and Beige" CD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16586 - 07/06/18 at 20:11:05

These Coltrane CDs sound very nice with the Rachael with 807 power tubes...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16587 - 07/06/18 at 20:55:34

I'm glad you're digging those big tubes. I'm totally into the little tubes now!

Man this sounds good. Santana, "Abraxas" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16588 - 07/06/18 at 21:36:01

Miles Davis "On the Corner" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16589 - 07/06/18 at 22:20:38

This album works in so many ways. It really does work as a Billie Holiday tribute album, and this from a guy who really doesn't get excited about tribute albums. And it really is a fine contemporary jazz album. And it sounds so beautiful on a great system. . . .

Jose James "Yesterday I had the Blues--The Music of Billie Holiday" Blue Note

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16590 - 07/07/18 at 09:48:44

These RCA 807s are burnin' in nicely, they are clarifying and more revealing now.  I'm not sure I like them better than my RFT EL-34s...maybe just different? Warmer, with a bit more Bass depth...

At some point I need to try those Russian coin base power tubes made at the Futon Plant in Rachael.  Aren't those similar to 6L6s just as the 807s?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16591 - 07/07/18 at 10:53:50

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16592 - 07/07/18 at 12:21:22

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16593 - 07/07/18 at 14:27:47

Every time I listen to Ahmad Jamal, I wonder why I don't listen to him more often. This is a nice CD but it's the 1986 CD version... should probably buy a newer remastered one if available...The Music itself was recorded February 1970...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16594 - 07/07/18 at 15:58:31

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16595 - 07/07/18 at 16:11:22

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16596 - 07/07/18 at 17:27:29

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16597 - 07/07/18 at 20:02:12

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16598 - 07/07/18 at 20:23:44

CD #2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16599 - 07/07/18 at 21:17:46

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 332 333 334 ... 512
Send Topic Print