What's spinning? (Read 1867192 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #16600 - 07/07/18 at 23:55:47

This will be it for today...

CD #6...

CD #1...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16601 - 07/08/18 at 12:29:46

I took the RCA 807s out and put the NOS RFT/Siemens EL-34s back in the Racheal.  I also replaced the white label Amperex 7308s with a pair of White label Amperex 6299s I bought for $50 plus 3.75 shipping, that I need to test.  I hate to tell Lon but I've got another pair of 1964 white label Amperex 7308s testing about 80 and well matched on a TV-7D/U I bought for $95 total that I bought from the same seller on the way...they're in the mail.

PS...I definitely prefer the EL-34s, the 807s were a bit too dark for me, hard to believe since I'm the one who usually bitches about a Hot Highend but I just love the RFT EL-34s.  It's no surprise since that's what I settled on in the Torii MK IV.  I'm thinking that the 807s might be just what the Omega Alincos need to cool down it's hot highs. I also think some RCA double bottom getter 5R4GY bottle shaped rectifiers I tried in the Monoblocks and found too edgy/hot, might be just what the 807s need. Further exploration ahead Smiley...

I started with some Nat King Cole and now some Keith Jarrett...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16602 - 07/08/18 at 14:07:15

Only got halfway through this before shutting down for the Sunday News Programs.  Then this afternoon I'll see a production of the Musical "Hairspray" at the Winspear Opera House. I have been neglecting my Vinyl Therapy...maybe at least one session this week...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16603 - 07/08/18 at 14:13:21

Hey, Lon...Dana...others.  You need to get busy.  I've posted the last 15 albums with no help from the Troops... Smiley

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16604 - 07/08/18 at 16:03:03

I'm on vacation this week and had ALL  the family came to stay with us at the coast. (it was fun)  I got some Spotify listening in but mostly background.  I'll be back home today and have some new music I'm dying to hear.  Thanks for the commentary on the 807 tubes. Matching the amp / tubes to the speakers to the input type to the cables that connect them all up seems to be really important and time consuming (and expensive).  After that is all sorted then it’s the recordings…(or is it the other way around?) My friend in LA used a cable rental service to try out several different brands to get the match right for his system.  His conclusion was that cables were tone controls and you could enhance specific frequency ranges with and different cable types.  I like this forum as it helps me find alternate music but also real world experiences with equipment that isn't really available anywhere else.  I’ll be back posting soon no worries.

I forgot room acoustics ... sheez

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16605 - 07/08/18 at 16:15:59

Well Dana, with me it has always been and will always be the Music first but then there is a lot to be gained by tinkering with all the different combinations of Tubes, speakers, amps, cabling and other gear or tweeks.  The possibilities are endless as are the recordings to listen to....

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16606 - 07/08/18 at 16:32:52

Over twenty years ago I gave up listening to music because I couldn't hear it anymore.  I heard amps and wire and everythiing but the music.  I'm back now and don't hear as well as i did then but I am enjoying sitting down and letting the music take me places, which is really the point.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16607 - 07/08/18 at 16:41:48

Sorry Mark that you've been on your own. It's the weekend, and I don't really get a chance to listen to music on the weekends as I hand the time reigns over to my wife, who is still working full-time. And on top of that this is one of the final days that our front deck is being rebuilt, and it's noisy enough that it intrudes even at modest headphone volume! So probably won't be seeing music posted by me much today.

I hate it when real life intrudes on my escapist pursuits!

Congrats on the pricing of those Amperex. I don't mind paying what I did for my recent pair. I suspect they will be really really good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16608 - 07/08/18 at 17:20:32

Ok team, I accept your excuses for not posting Smiley  I look forward to some this coming week...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16609 - 07/09/18 at 18:09:14

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16610 - 07/09/18 at 18:52:06

I was going to listen to "Kind of Blue" but then decided to listen to this one, which should be called "Kindof Kind of Blue" . . . .

Mostly Other People Do the Killing "Blue"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16611 - 07/09/18 at 22:26:34

Duke Ellington "The Feeling of Jazz" Black Lion CD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16612 - 07/10/18 at 20:39:23

This was still in the CD Player and I couldn't remember how much of it I'd listened to...so playing again.  This is the format I like Chet Baker best...Trio with Bass and electric guitar.

Put a Couple 1964 Amperex 7308's in Rachael that arrived yesterday.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16613 - 07/10/18 at 21:53:37

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16614 - 07/11/18 at 14:14:10

Just bought the 1996 One O'Clock Lab Band CD from a seller on ebay, so I thought I'd kick off the Music with this... 2012's One O'Clock Lab Band album...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16615 - 07/11/18 at 14:21:08

Duke Ellington "The Feeling of Jazz"

Back to this one. A really nice '62 recorded release that has old chestnuts and newer nuts well-roasted.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16616 - 07/11/18 at 16:28:55

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16617 - 07/11/18 at 17:10:00

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16618 - 07/11/18 at 17:13:48

Keith Jarrett Trio "Hamburg '72" ECM

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16619 - 07/11/18 at 19:16:16

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Stone Flower" CTI Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16620 - 07/11/18 at 20:28:56

"Secret Ellington" . . . love this. It can be found cheap. . . I've given away a few copies.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16621 - 07/12/18 at 13:35:52

Put an Amperex White label 7308 at the input position on the CSP3 in my second system...it arrived yesterday.  I had forgotten what had been there...a white label amperex 6299.

CD #1 of 3 of this set that arrived yesterday from Amazon.  It had been on my watch/wish list, so when I saw it for less than $6, I bought it...

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Concert-Sea-Erroll-Garner/dp/B00ZJ5QXDO/ref=sr_1...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16622 - 07/12/18 at 13:55:35

That Errol Garner is a cool set.

I'm back to this one, Jose James "Yesterday I had the Blues". . . . It's a great tool for evaluating the system as it is very well-recorded. I put a pair of Amperex green label 7308s in the Monoblocks yesterday, and the day before a pair of RCA made Hytron OD3s made in '44--best OD3s I've tried yet.  And I really enjoy the music as well.

Mark, you might want to try a pair of OD3 in the Torii.  . . I was surprised how well they present the bass and the midrange in the Monoblocks. busterfree (Juan) alerted me to their usefulness and I thank him.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16623 - 07/12/18 at 14:26:57

Going to have to cut my listening session short...Peter Strzok to testify before a joint Committee of Congress at 10 pm est.  Can't miss it Smiley

PS... I wish there had been more recordings with Jack DeJohnette in Evans' Trio but the two from  Resonance Records are a very welcome addition to the "At The Montreux Jazz Festival" recordings...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16624 - 07/12/18 at 14:47:42

Lon, after reading about the OC3 and OD3 in the 25th Amps, I'd decided I needed to get some.  If and when I get a 25th Amp, I'd probably get it without tubes...that adds $400.  I have plenty of tubes except the different VR tubes above.  I have never tried anything but the OA3 in the Monoblocks and Torii MK IV...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16625 - 07/12/18 at 15:28:04

Try some Mark. . . I like OB3 in the Torii a lot as well and I've tried OC3 and DIDN'T like them, too lightweight in the lower frequencies and brittle sounding. Which kept me away from trying OD3 for a long time, but the OD3 gives dynamic bass and a very open midrange, nice with the tube complements we favor.

Right now
"Images of Curtis Fuller" Savoy Denon 20 bit cd

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16626 - 07/12/18 at 15:34:08

"If and when I get a 25th Amp"... HMMMM.  The seed has been planted.  Haven't been able to post listening sessions as my wife is on summer break from teaching and our music tastes are really different.  She likes music that she can sing along to which helps her while she's working.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16627 - 07/12/18 at 16:41:39

Yup Dana...if nothing else, I have an open mind.  I would never rule out getting a 25th Amp in the future.  Maybe in the future I could help someone out of a financial bind by buying theirs for half price Smiley....

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16628 - 07/12/18 at 16:53:47

You could always hope

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16629 - 07/12/18 at 19:16:10

Duke Ellington Orchestra with Rosemary Clooney "Blue Rose" Mobile Fidelity Lab cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16630 - 07/12/18 at 21:24:06

Bob Dylan "Love and Theft" Mobile Fidelity SACD

As time goes by this album keeps climbing the ladder of my Dylan favorites.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16631 - 07/13/18 at 00:59:06

Heartland (2015)
Indra Rios-Moore

I feel she has a Sarah Vaughan quality to her voice that I really like.
Gonna be high on the rotation

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16632 - 07/13/18 at 11:23:16

Dana, I've saved that Indra album and one other to my library on spotify for later but now this album that I didn't get all the way through yesterday...so good...

Also a bunch of tubes arrived yesterday...a Quad of NOS RFT EL-34s, a pair of white label 7308s and a pair of NOS Mullard GZ-32s.  I put a double getter GZ-32 in Racheal replacing a single getter Mullard GZ-32...can't read the date code...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16633 - 07/13/18 at 12:10:25

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16634 - 07/13/18 at 13:52:21

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16635 - 07/13/18 at 13:54:34

Watching Tessa Souter on the DVR via PBS and was intrigued enough to order a few of her cds.

8bbb81e270136ef5f57822a82090545c424b1b11_1_690x388.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16636 - 07/13/18 at 14:59:05

Haha my neighbor contractor who rebuilt my front porch/Deck stopped by to get a final check. I'm playing this SACD at my normal listening level and he pointed to my PS Audio P10 and said "man that must be a powerful amplifier." I told him no, the amplifier is the pair of mono block amps next the P10 and they are about three watts per channel. I had to show him the product page on the website, he didn't believe me. . .

Miles Davis "Sorcerer" Mobile Fidelity Labs SACD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16637 - 07/13/18 at 15:24:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16638 - 07/13/18 at 15:35:00

Harvey Mandel "Cristo Redendor" from "Snake Box."

When this lp first came out this was actually the first way I heard the Donald Byrd composition. Very interesting album.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16639 - 07/13/18 at 16:25:08

Paulo Fresu 5tet "Plays the music of Atilio Zanchi: P.A.R.T.E."

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16640 - 07/13/18 at 17:07:46

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16641 - 07/13/18 at 18:52:16

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16642 - 07/13/18 at 19:14:18

Herbie Hancock "Speak Live a Child" SHM-CD

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16643 - 07/14/18 at 00:51:16

Brazaventure
Artist: Céline Rudolph
Release date: 2007

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16644 - 07/14/18 at 12:09:25

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16645 - 07/14/18 at 12:50:28

Grateful Dead "Anthem of the Sun" Deluxe 50th Anniversary 2 cd set.

On headphones, which is a great way to listen to both the original and the remix (both on disc 1). Very nicely remastered.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16646 - 07/14/18 at 13:29:21

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16647 - 07/14/18 at 16:08:08

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16648 - 07/14/18 at 16:27:41

case/lang/veirs
k.d. lang, Neko Case, and Laura Veirs  

Mark,
What did you think of the Indra album?

Album: For You a Thousand Times
Artist: Silje Nergaard
Release year: 2017

Los ángeles
Artist: Rosalía
Released 2017

Grace
Artist: Lizz Wright
Release date: 2017

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16649 - 07/14/18 at 17:11:57

Dana, Indra was good but I would like more Jazz selections,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 333 334 335 ... 512
Send Topic Print