The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #16701 - 07/23/18 at 13:00:41

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16702 - 07/23/18 at 14:29:24

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16703 - 07/23/18 at 15:11:01

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16704 - 07/23/18 at 15:59:36

I love that Patricia Barber album but it leaves me in a state that I don't want to listen to anything else for a while after it finishes.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16705 - 07/23/18 at 16:20:30

Ha...Luckily it doesn't have that effect on me Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16706 - 07/23/18 at 16:51:25

Something must be wrong with me. I'm just not a Patricia Barbor fan. She's. . . okay.

Right now
Feeling sad that my best friend just got on a plane to Austin and listening to

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16707 - 07/23/18 at 17:15:37

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16708 - 07/23/18 at 19:08:25

We all hear and are affected by different things.  A lyric a chord progression a single note perfectly placed in time.  I think about why I like music at all. It isn't food or water or air.  It isn't emotion per se but yet it causes me to feel things.  Music is universal as a category but not in a way that  particular sounds produces a universal response.  What is it about our background that causes us to respond to a sound but not share the same the response?

In other words... How can you not LOVE every note Patricia Barber makes? Kiss

https://aran.library.nuigalway.ie/xmlui/handle/10379/5082?show=full#

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16709 - 07/23/18 at 20:22:06

For me it's easy not to love those notes. Wink

Right now

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16710 - 07/23/18 at 21:29:28

Booker Little "Booker Little and Friend" +6, Bethlehem Records,Ultimate HQCD, Solid Records Japan

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16711 - 07/24/18 at 00:45:26

Renee Olstead (2004)

What a frustrating album.  Amazing voice great orchastration but every bit of pulp, soul originality processed out.  A modern day Doris Day album.

Dinah Washington ‎– The Complete Roulette Dinah Washington Sessions
CD 1
Not frustrating at all.  Sounds so good.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16712 - 07/24/18 at 10:56:27

I put in a pair of short base RFT EL-34s into Rachael that arrived from Germany yesterday. These are an older version of the more common wide base...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16713 - 07/24/18 at 12:01:56

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16714 - 07/24/18 at 15:27:36

"Miss" Helen Carr "Down in the Depths of the 90th Floor" Bethlehem Records/Solid Records Japan Ultimate HQCD

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16715 - 07/25/18 at 00:45:01

Sarah Vaughan (1954)
Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16716 - 07/25/18 at 18:54:19

This one again as it sounds so nice right now:

"Miss" Helen Carr "Down in the Depths of the 90th Floor" Bethlehem Records/Solid Records Japan Ultimate HQCD

Followed by:
Steve Kuhn Trio
"Three Waves" Solid Records Japan cd.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16717 - 07/26/18 at 00:05:10

Nothing Can Bring Back the Hour
Release year: 2017
Artist: Josienne Clarke

Nighthawks at the Diner
Tom Waits
Rleased  1975

New Amerykah Part One (4th World War}
Erykah Badu

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16718 - 07/26/18 at 17:43:05

I'm listening to the first and will play both CDs of the second set.  These just arrived in the mail along with some dog food and automotive stuff from Amazon.

I also have put in another pair of mid 60's White Label Amperex 7308s I need to test...sounding great.  Tomorrow I'll put in another Mullard GZ-32 that needs to be tested.  This is the other one from a NOS pair I bought for $80 shipped from a seller in Belgium...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16719 - 07/26/18 at 21:40:36

Listening to Tessa Souter "Beyond the Blue" again. This gal is a real talent that I missed until this year.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16720 - 07/27/18 at 13:32:03

Finally got my copy of the Ultimate HQCD version of the two disc "Both Directions at Once" release from Japan last week. My trumpeter friend Dave Laczko from Texas did a bit of comparison between the first disc and the US single disc and both heard a bit of high-end refinement and possibly a touch more ambient detail on the Japanese disc. I asked my youngest brother (who shares my jazz interest but as the father of two young daughters rarely buys new music these days) whether he had a copy of the release yet and he didn't have one, so I gave him my US version.

This is an excellent release. It's not ground-breaking material by any means but it certainly is wonderful to have new material from this important and influential quartet.

Listening to disc 2 today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16721 - 07/27/18 at 13:58:11

Bob Dylan "John Wesley Harding" Mobile Fidelity stereo SACD

This album continues to fascinate me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16722 - 07/27/18 at 14:31:09

Bill Evans "Some Other Time" Resonance Records CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16723 - 07/27/18 at 16:57:42

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16724 - 07/27/18 at 19:06:17

John Coltrane "Blue Train" Classic Records 24/96 DAD. I have many versions of "Blue Train" and this may be the most "polite" sounding. It also has perhaps the deepest soundstage.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16725 - 07/27/18 at 19:54:05

Charles Mingus "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" . . . a 24/96 version burned to disc sent to me by an old friend.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16726 - 07/27/18 at 21:00:19

Jordi Savall, "Marin Marais: Pieces de Viole des Cinque Livres: 1989, 1701, 1711, 1717 & 1725"

SACD 1.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16727 - 07/28/18 at 12:33:23

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16728 - 07/28/18 at 12:59:12

OK, I took a little side track...the second tune on Paula's album was this tune.  Then I had to listen to other favorite versions I love...this song is so uplifting...Originally played and written by Billy Taylor...

PS...I might have gone a bit overboard Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSnPpVGt0zk  Paula Cole's version on her album Ballads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inNBpizpZkE  Nina Simone Studio version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qAg9p8QpG8  The original...Billy Taylor studio version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlH_XFuf3wU  Billy Taylor Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHHYXRDwqY Junior Mance version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CpY4IZoZwk  The Derek Trucks Band

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16729 - 07/28/18 at 14:40:07

Eric Dolphy "Out to Lunch" Blue Note Japan Platinum SHM-SACD

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16730 - 07/28/18 at 16:14:55

Thanks for the list.  The only excessive part was you taking the time to buuld the links. BIG THUMBS UP

This should be on the list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sEP0-8VAow  Nina Simone Live at Montreux (1976)

And just for fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeTVGUTFGrw  Andra Day

The Duke Ellington Songbook, Vol. 2
Sarah Vaughan

Wheels of the Sun (feat. David Lindley)
Artist: Kazu Matsui
Release date: December 3, 1993

Deeper
Artist: Pete Belasco
Release date: April 27, 2004
Working on expanding my listening genres.  As good as it sounds recording wize.  Musically doesn't do much for me...  The pleasure is in the journey I guess

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16731 - 07/28/18 at 18:38:41

Arild Andersen
In-House Science
released 2018
A lot more interesting than Deeper.

Ten Lives (2008)
Gwyneth Herbert

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16732 - 07/28/18 at 19:00:02

Dana, I didn't see your second version but I have seen just about all the Nina clips on you tube. There were even more versions but I finally got bored with the song and went back to Paula Cole's album Smiley

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16733 - 07/28/18 at 19:27:00

At work where it's just headphones and Spotify I'll sometimes just put in a song title and then let it play all different artists.  If only the rumors were true and Spotify was going to have a Flac option...  I tried Tidal but didn't much care for the interface and selection.  Someday it will just be sensors in the brain and it will truly seem like you're there.

Until then:

Pilgrim      
Janne Mark with Arve Henriksen

The Girl in the Other Room
Diana Krall
Released 2004

Diana Krall's husband Elvis Costello earlier this month announced that he just got out of surgery for an aggresive cancer.  Think positive thoughts about a music legend and hope for a full recovery.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16734 - 07/29/18 at 16:16:43

Album: Blackbirds
Artist: Gretchen Peters
Released: 2015

The Pretender
Jackson Browne

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16735 - 07/29/18 at 18:39:51

Live at the Plush Room
Artist: Jacqui Naylor
Release year: 2001

Never Never Land
Jane Monheit

Jane Monheit – vocals, vocal arrangement
Bucky Pizzarelli – guitar
Ron Carter – bass
Kenny Barron – piano
Hank Crawford – alto saxophone
David "Fathead" Newman – flute, tenor saxophone
Lewis Nash – drums

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16736 - 07/29/18 at 20:58:50

Duke Ellington "The Second Sacred Concert" (disc 19 of the Complete RCA Victor Recordings, Centennial Edition)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16737 - 07/29/18 at 22:12:29

Herbie Hancock "V.S.O.P--Five Stars" (from the Complete Columbia Recordings box set)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16738 - 07/30/18 at 12:05:18

Herbie Hancock Trio (from the Complete Columbia Recordings box set)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16739 - 07/30/18 at 20:18:48

"Herbie Hancock-Ron Carter-Tony Williams" from the Hancock Complete Columbia Albums box set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16740 - 07/30/18 at 20:47:03

Joe Henderson "Inner Urge" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16741 - 07/30/18 at 22:22:18

SACD 2 of this excellent 5 SACD set.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16742 - 07/31/18 at 02:11:28

Semper Femina (2017)
Laura Marling
Found One!  I like this album.  It's really different from the other Laura Marling's  I've heard.  Kind of a Lou Ree - Joni Mitchel vibe.

N'Dea Davenport
N'Dea Davenport
Released 1998

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16743 - 07/31/18 at 03:12:07

Citizen of Glass
Artist: Agnes Obel
Release year: 2016

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16744 - 07/31/18 at 19:01:34

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16745 - 07/31/18 at 20:13:49

Bobby Hutcherson "Montara" Blue Note Japan cd (latest reissue)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16746 - 07/31/18 at 21:48:55

Bob Dylan "Live 1962-1966" new Blu-Spec CD2 two cd set from Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16747 - 08/01/18 at 20:56:22

Talk Talk "Spirt of Eden"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16748 - 08/01/18 at 21:15:58

Joe Henderson "Page One" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

I spent a lot of potential listening time re-watching the 3rd season of "Better Call Saul" on Blu-ray the last few days. Wow. This is such an excellent show. I'm eager for the beginning of season 4 on Monday!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16749 - 08/03/18 at 20:50:58

David Bowie "Scary Monsters" from the "A New Career in a New Town" box set.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 335 336 337 ... 512
Send Topic Print