Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #17150 - 11/26/18 at 19:05:34

Kamasi Washington "Heaven and Earth" disc 1, Earth.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17151 - 11/27/18 at 00:37:34

The Weather Station
The Weather Station (2017)

With a Little Help from My Friends
Joe Cocker
Released 1969

Good  documentary about him on Netflix so I I had to dig out some Joe

Seule ce soir
Emilie-Claire Barlow
Released on 2012

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17152 - 11/27/18 at 17:42:33

Disc V. The first session on this disc, with the Russ Garcia Orchestra, is a lot of fun. Everyone seems to be feeling it. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17153 - 11/27/18 at 22:03:54

Album: Gypsy in My Soul
Artist: Connie Evingson
Release year: 2004

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17154 - 11/28/18 at 18:56:31

Disc VI. Big band sessions, Billy May Orchestra. Not my favorite stuff in the set, but some great moments.

The more I read about how people are spending this and that money and time on computer audio. the happier I am to be spinning discs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17155 - 11/28/18 at 19:49:59

Charles Mingus "Mingus at Antibes" Warner Japan cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17156 - 11/28/18 at 21:18:29

Miles Davis "Miles in the Sky" Columbia cd. I'm listening to the "remixed" album for the first time in a long while.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17157 - 11/29/18 at 00:39:26

The night shines like the day
Kristin Asbjørnsen

Back to Earth
Lisa Ekdahl with the Peter Nordahl Trio
Released 1999

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17158 - 11/29/18 at 13:34:58

I had a box full of tubes arrive earlier this week.  Four 80 type tubes, 3 RCA,1 National Union for $3 each, 1 RCA 5Y3G for $2 and 2 Tung Sol 5881s for $2 each..$10 shipping.  These things are filthy...I pulled out a coke bottle type 80 RCA/Cunningham and took a alcohol saturated cotton swab to it...nice and clean now.  This is day two listening to it and it sounds nice...it replaced a Mullard GZ 32.  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17159 - 11/29/18 at 13:44:40

Some very nice tubes! I just put away a box full of rectifiers. . . I'm back to using 5V4G rectifiers in the mono blocks and the CSP3-25 and the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B rectifiers in the Torii Mk III, CSP2+ and Taboo Mk IV in my second system upstairs.

The latest OS firmware change for my DirectStream DAC prompted me to make the change. I went through all types of rectifiers: Type 80 of different types, 5Y3 of different types, 5U4 of different types, and the 5V4 give me the best tonal balance and dynamic control.

Right now
Cassandra Wilson "After the Beginning Again"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17160 - 11/29/18 at 15:47:27

Disc VII. Big band sessions, Bill Holman Orchestra mostly. Good stuff. Sound on this set is very good. . . the system swings!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17161 - 11/29/18 at 16:09:04

Yes, some surprisingly nice tubes. The guy was selling a lot of tubes from a relative who had been a repairman for 50 years.  He had long lists in each listing where you toggled through and picked what you wanted.  I think he said all tested good.  I hadn't bought any Type 80s because I was unwilling to pay the prices asked, to be truthful.  My Mullard GZ-32 were doing well. After I had purchased the 7 tubes I asked for specific test results and was pleasantly surprised by the results...high 80's for the rectifiers and 109/108 on the power tubes.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17162 - 11/29/18 at 19:41:19

Over the Rainbow
Jimmy Scott
Released: 2001

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17163 - 11/29/18 at 20:56:27

Miles Davis "Filles De Kilimanjaro" Sony CD

Been too long. . . decided to listen to the Sony cd rather than the Mobile Fidelity SACD I have been listening to since it was released.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17164 - 11/29/18 at 23:15:08

and ????

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17165 - 11/29/18 at 23:46:16

And what?

Right now
Sun Ra "Crystal Spears" CD

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17166 - 11/30/18 at 04:05:39

and... did they sound different?  Did you hear stuff or didn't hear stuff?

I would think the SACD wouold sound better but what do I know... I don't have a SACD player. Cry

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17167 - 11/30/18 at 11:19:22

Dana,
They are different mixes. The Sony CD is remixed and the MSFL is the regular mix, there are engineered differences in the sound. The SACD does sound a bit less digital. The original mix has the instrumentation a bit less spread out and a bit more precise. The reverb/room sound is different on each.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17168 - 11/30/18 at 15:58:35

Miles Davis "Miles in the Sky" Columbia US cd

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17169 - 11/30/18 at 18:15:32

Thanks Lon
There is sooo much equipment out there and so many formats that it is impossible to know what is hype and what is real.  You're observations are always valued.

On a side note have you listened to a R2r ladder dac?  At the Audio meeting one of the guys demonstrated one he built from scratch and it didn't sound digital at all.

Currently listening

The Commitments (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
The Commitments
Released: 1991

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17170 - 11/30/18 at 18:27:41

No Dana, I haven't listened to any other DAC after getting the DirectStream DSD and the DMP combo. I threw all the dollars I could at that combo and have been so happy with it (and the fact that they keep improving with updates) that I'm not seeking other DAC sound right now. Which is also solidified by the fact that I don't have any real way to compare DACs other than to buy and return which is a costly process I'm avoiding. I'm sure there are some great ones out there, but I'm contentedly just spinning discs and the PS Audio combo lets me do that with great sound, both Redbook and SACD. So I'm satisfied where I am and just tweaking around the duo.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17171 - 11/30/18 at 19:00:46

That's awsome that you found it.  Dollars matter and getting long term satisfaction is always a bargin.  I'm not there yet but the journey sure is fun.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17172 - 11/30/18 at 20:03:44

Wow. . . Took little Fiona (our miniature dachshund) down to the lake this afternoon, and as we were walking around down near the little dock where Lucy and I said our vows I looked up to the left and saw two eagles sitting each in a separate tree about 70 feet away. In a little spell the smaller eagle took off and flew nearly all the way around the lake and then landed in the same tree as the slightly larger eagle and they both sat there about six feet apart on their own branches. I watched them for a while until Fiona got cold and we went home.

It was inspiring! I love this neighborhood!

Now I'm listening to disc VII, "The Complete Anita O'Day Verve/Clef Sessions"

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17173 - 11/30/18 at 21:32:23

Vagarosa
Céu

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17174 - 11/30/18 at 21:41:38

Dana wrote on 11/30/18 at 21:32:23:

What a beautiful woman!

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17175 - 12/01/18 at 19:11:32

Buena Vista Social Club Presents Omara Portuondo
Omara Portuondo
Released 2000

Album: Pushin' Against a Stone
Artist: Valerie June
Release year: 2013

Fun fact:  Sayig that you don't care to see Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper because a remake of a remake with Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson wouldn't be enjoyable only brings you grief.  Isn't family fun?

Nightclub
Artist: Patricia Barber
Release year: 2001

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17176 - 12/03/18 at 15:45:55

So Dana, did you see Gaga in the remake?  Haven't seen it yet but will.... depending on your review Smiley

Lon, your talk of DACs reminds me of my Jolida 100.  I often think I should upgrade from this $450 CD Player but always think why!?  I love the way this thing sounds.  This said by the guy listening to his Rachel and Jolida 100 with a $3 RCA/Cunningham 80 type rectifier, a pair of $2 each Tung Sol 5881 power tubes and a $60 pair of white label Amperex 7308s.  The sound I'm getting is incredible. It's an addiction!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17177 - 12/03/18 at 15:54:28

I agree Mark, it's an addiction, or an obsession. I'm listening to different source, amp, and loving the sound too. Life is good. . . though the addiction can have its "uncomfortable" moments, especially when you live with another that has different addictions. . . .

Right now
"The Complete Anita O'Day Verve/Clef Sessions" Mosaic Records, CD VIII

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17178 - 12/03/18 at 16:02:35

I have that O'Day set on CD but not sure where it is.  I'm also not sure I've listened to any of it.  Where could it be?

I'm not sure why but I haven't listened to Vinyl in the Cave for a long time.  It's been the Rachel in the Den with CDs only.  But that's fine for now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17179 - 12/03/18 at 16:12:09

I hadn't listened to the O'Day set in some years. . . hard to believe it came out so long ago and I bought it when it was new. O'Day is a bit of an odd singer, but I like odd singers, and there are some really good groups and arrangements in this one.

Great sound too, both the original recordings and the mastering by Malcolm Addey.

Maybe you can find it and give it a listen.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17180 - 12/03/18 at 17:16:26

Time to test this tube set with Joni...

PS...looks like an Ebay buy of 5 Amperex 7308s will arrive today.  Four white label, one orange...I couldn't pass them up for $150.  I really need to stop buying tubes soon... Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17181 - 12/03/18 at 17:35:47

OMG, I was last in the Cave spinning Vinyl on May 12th, 2018.  Geez, no wonder I couldn't remember. Had to go back in the "What's Spinning" thread to see...

This weekend I definitely will break that streak!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17182 - 12/03/18 at 18:02:12

It has been a while for you. I took my turntable out of the system 13 months ago, so it's been longer for me. Don't really miss vinyl.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17183 - 12/03/18 at 19:21:19

2018 Lab, UNT's One O'clock Jazz Lab Band's album for this year.  Picked it up when I saw their fall concert on November 20th...

and CD #7 from this favorite...

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17184 - 12/04/18 at 01:09:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdljoTFMhO4&list=PL6lOs77vzgU8mQEgpd7fcF8vcHhYQP...

OK Mark heres a link to the soundtrack.  According to my buddy the guitar player, if your kid had taken guitar lessons  for four years and could play as well as Bradley Cooper you'd be really happy.  Lady Gaga dyed her hair brown and is a decent singer.  Is it really any worse or better than some of the stuff I listen to... I don't know.  
Dana suggests:
I'd never seen The Commitments so I just watched it, fun movie.  
Or a great movie "Once" (both staring Glen Hansard oddly enough).  Or watch Kris Kristopherson in his prime.  

Currently listening to someone who isn't part of the media machine

Mikki Brisk
Distance and Miles
Release Date 2005

Zazu
Rosie Vela
The album was produced by Gary Katz, best known for his work in that capacity with Steely Dan, and many of the songs feature Steely Dan's Donald Fagen on keyboard

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17185 - 12/05/18 at 00:41:32

Hey, thanks Dana.  I saved that soundtrack on Spotify for later. I saw the Musical "Once" here in Dallas.  Don't think I've seen the movie.  Saw the Commitments long ago.  Mark.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #17186 - 12/05/18 at 02:53:03

melissa etheridge memphis rock and soul.  got it in the clearance at barnes... very nice!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17187 - 12/05/18 at 12:35:26

CD #5 of this to start the day...with a steaming cup of coffee...

PS...tonight I'll see Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Jazz Orchestra.  I've been listening to more Big Band recently...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17188 - 12/05/18 at 12:41:13

Have fun tonight! That's a polished big band.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17189 - 12/05/18 at 14:38:16

Thanks Lon.  I will most definitely. I have seen them a few times in Dallas at the Meyerson Symphony Hall...great acoustics...

CD #1

CD #1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17190 - 12/05/18 at 16:17:47

Greg Osby "Inner Circle" Blue Note

Followed by. . .

Greg Osby "The Invisible Hand" Blue Note

Followed by

Bod Dylan "Planet Waves" Mobile Fidelity Labs SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17191 - 12/05/18 at 21:21:22

Leonard Bernstein, Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1 and Mozart Piano Concerto No. 25.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17192 - 12/08/18 at 09:19:39

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17193 - 12/08/18 at 09:48:50

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17194 - 12/08/18 at 13:35:48

Check out The Carpenters, The Royal Philharmonic just re-released on TIDAL. Bernie Grundman and crew did a fabulous job with this recording. Sonics are absolutely spectacular. Karen Carpenter is in the room.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17195 - 12/08/18 at 17:28:34

Artist: Celine Rudolph
Title Of Album: Brazaventure
Year Of Release: 2007

Artist: Mark Winkler, Cheryl Bentyne
Title: Eastern Standard Time
Year Of Release: 2018

El mal querer (English: Bad loving)
Rosalía
Released 2018

She really plays a mean motercyle

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17196 - 12/09/18 at 20:27:16

Love and Peace: A Tribute to Horace Silver
Dee Dee Bridgewater

Western Standard Time
Artist: Asleep at the Wheel
Release year: 1988

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17197 - 12/09/18 at 21:41:03

Pieta Brown
Flight Time

Closing Time
Tom Waits
Released 1973

The Order of Time
Valerie June
Released 2017

Out Of Time
Allan Taylor ‎
Released:1991

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17198 - 12/10/18 at 02:12:05

Album: El último trago
Artists: Chucho Valdés · Concha Buika
Release year: 2009

Changing of the Seasons
Ane Brun
Released 2008

Original Soundtrack
Jimmy Carter: Man from Plains
Various Artest including
Amir ElSaffar / David Rawlings / Gillian Welch / Dan Bern / Brother Ali
Released: 2007

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17199 - 12/11/18 at 01:48:35

Fantastic sound quality. Very animated and 3d.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 ... 513
Send Topic Print