Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #17500 - 02/19/19 at 21:07:37

Bobby Hutcherson "Components" 80th Anniversary UHQCD from Blue Note Japan

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17501 - 02/20/19 at 12:03:24

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17502 - 02/20/19 at 14:36:56

CD #5 of 16...

CD #1 of 2...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17503 - 02/20/19 at 15:51:47

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17504 - 02/20/19 at 18:33:45

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17505 - 02/20/19 at 19:42:14

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17506 - 02/20/19 at 20:16:03

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17507 - 02/20/19 at 21:03:41

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17508 - 02/21/19 at 14:46:54

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17509 - 02/21/19 at 16:13:25

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17510 - 02/21/19 at 19:11:34

CD #3 of 3...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17511 - 02/23/19 at 16:10:34

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17512 - 02/23/19 at 16:46:01

CD #6 of 16...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17513 - 02/23/19 at 18:27:19

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17514 - 02/23/19 at 19:19:03

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17515 - 02/23/19 at 20:42:37

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17516 - 02/24/19 at 12:06:45

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17517 - 02/24/19 at 13:10:54

CD #7 of 16...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17518 - 02/24/19 at 17:33:40

John Coltrane "Crescent" Impulse! Reissue LP

Played it several times as it was the first LP I've played in my home since October '17 when my ZTPRE arrived and I took the Rega and ZP3 out of the system and I'm using it to set up and tweak--I know this album so well..

In the meanwhile I sold my ZP3 and bought a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, which I have had simmering plugged in for a month until I moved my system on Wednesday. Have to admit that the NuWave sounds very good and I don't yet miss the ZP3. If I have audio money in the future I'll order a ZP3 with all the mods, but for now I'll enjoy the occasional vinyl in the mix once more.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17519 - 02/24/19 at 18:42:48

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17520 - 02/24/19 at 18:52:33

Circles Around The Sun - Let It Wander

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17521 - 02/25/19 at 19:17:12

CD #11 of 16...

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17522 - 02/26/19 at 15:55:33

Listening to the new "second system which is DVR and Oppo UDP-205 to CSP3-25 and Taboo Mk IV with Anniversary Mods to HR-1s, with a Power Plant Premier as the foundation.

Sounds really good. . . but needs a ZROCK2. Good news is I have one at the mothership being "Tested"!

John Coltrane "Ballads" Universal Japan Platinum SHM-CD. Best sounding version of "Ballads" that I have.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17523 - 02/26/19 at 17:00:13

Lon,

Looking forward to your listening impressions. I have a similarly maxed out, modded ZR2 in the amp build que.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17524 - 02/26/19 at 17:26:48

I'll definitely share impressions sir. I'll be putting the new fully modded ZROCK2 in the "main" system and put the one I've enjoyed for a long time in the new "second" system.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17525 - 02/26/19 at 19:43:19

Friedemann - The Master Tracks.
45rpm LP RESO Direct Metal Mastering.
WOW, exquisite recording.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17526 - 02/26/19 at 21:26:58

I've been really enjoying my new main system upstairs. It's definitely been an improvement in sound, several factors improved it. And I can play vinyl again, which is fun and means I stop thinking of selling turntable and vinyl.

I've played today:

Tamba 4 "We and the Sea" Universal A&M cd from Japan
Jackie McLean "Let Freedom Ring" UHQCD from Blue Note Japan (sounds like earlier US mastering to me)
John Coltrane "Coltrane" Impulse SHM-CD from Japan
Duke Ellington "Indigos" Columbia Mono LP
Yazz Ahmed "La Saboteuse"
Coleman Hawkins and Kenny Burrell "Moonglow" Prestige 2 LP set

Life is good.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17527 - 02/28/19 at 14:06:42

The Beatles White Album (50th Anniversary Deluxe 4LP Edition). Wow, what a great remastering job, vinyl is so clean, and IMHO the Esher demo's are worth the price of admission.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17528 - 03/02/19 at 13:53:01

Had to get a new laptop and am back online. . . I had been using my wife's PC on occasion this week, and it's nice to have something in my lap again. Funny how we get used to things.

I've moved from one main system at the beginning of last month to now a simpler audio/video system in its location, a main system relocated and now a dedicated audio only system now including vinyl playback again, and a small headphone only audio/video system in the bedroom. It's fun playing with different systems, I really enjoy setting up systems and tube-rolling etc.

As a result my listening has been partly to evaluate the sound of the systems and partly to finally sit down and relax after a week where I was taking my Dad around to appointments etc. three days, and had a heavy "honey do" list mandated to me. Highlights of the listening sessions were:

Jose James "Yesterday I Had the Blues--The Music of Billie Holiday" Blue Note vinyl, love the precision of the trio backing James and the precision of his phrasing and time.

Miles Davis "The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions" -- I've really enjoyed listening to the "non-Jack Johnson" portions of the final disc which has studio versions of my favorite portions of "Miles Davis at Fillmore" -- and I'm warming up to the "Go Ahead John" sections of disc 2 . . . I still prefer the collage that is on "Big Fun" but over time I'm enjoying these separate performances.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Bright Moments" Atlantic/Rhino 2 cd. It's been too long since I spun this one and I feel a Kirk-fest coming on.

Duke Ellington "Presents" Bethlehem/Solid Records Japan UHQCD. I just love Ellington's music and over time there's not one decade or "period" or "band" I don't really appreciate.

Hal Galper "Speak with a Single Voice" Enja/Solid Records Japan cd. With the Brecker brothers, Bob Moses and Wayne Dockery

Grant Green "Idle Moments" Blue Note Japan UHQCD. Sublime and very good sounding disc.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17529 - 03/03/19 at 11:09:56

Made it through the last 10 posts and no Music?  Oh well, here's some...CD # 2 of this new Ebay find...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17530 - 03/03/19 at 12:24:55

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17531 - 03/03/19 at 13:17:31

CD #13 of 16.  I've been listening to the Maiden Voyage Live performances from 1982.  They were recently released on Digital files only by Concord Music.  I haven't figured out if they were remastered...doubtful.  All of the performances are contained on 4 CDs in the Galaxy Box set released in 1989.  Love Art Pepper, especially this period after many years in Jail and Rehab he finally began playing and recording again about 1975...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17532 - 03/03/19 at 16:32:04

Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Bright Moments" Atlantic/Rhino 2 cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17533 - 03/03/19 at 17:15:26

Sonny Rollins "The Complete Prestige Recordings" disc 7

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17534 - 03/03/19 at 18:40:04

Helen Merrill "You and the Night and the Music" Verve cd

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17535 - 03/03/19 at 18:55:29

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17536 - 03/03/19 at 18:56:32

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17537 - 03/03/19 at 19:07:47

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17538 - 03/03/19 at 19:12:27

Just watched a little Freddie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teoG5yhV2RQ

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17539 - 03/03/19 at 19:42:20

Helen Merrill "Lilac Wine" Gitanes cd

Followed by Kenny Burrell "God Bless the Child" CTI Supreme Series Blu-Spec CD from Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17540 - 03/04/19 at 15:52:58

Carmen McRae "The Great American Songbook" Atlantic 2 LP

Followed by
Keith Jarrett Quartet "Byablue" ECM LP

Listening to my Rega RP3 with TTPSU, white belt, and all the Groovetracer upgrades, and through my PS Audio NuWave Phono converter. Excellent sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17541 - 03/04/19 at 18:37:19

Flora Purim "Open your Eyes You can Fly" OJC cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17542 - 03/05/19 at 15:09:16

Thelonious Monk "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk" Mosaic Records, Sides VII and VIII

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17543 - 03/05/19 at 16:22:49

I had to listen to the Carmen McRae second LP again after listening to the Monk sides as I wanted to hear her singing Jimmy Rowles' song

"The Ballad of Thelonious Monk"

I used to think cowboy music
was the only thing there was
Then I heard Theloniuos Monk.
The place was filled to the rafters
with musicians and the fuzz
They all loved Thelonious Monk.
I didn't know what he was playin,
but the dog next door kept bayin
and the waitress was humming along.
Then I forget about Gene Autry
and the things he taught me
when I heard Thelonious Monk.
Right then and there I took up bebop
forgot about the cows.
I wouldn't feed my horse any hay
That horse, he knew I had them records
so he hung around the house
Ears a'cocked to hear the Monk play
He threw me clear to Santa Monica
when he heard Monk play Panonica
and his gallop is startin to swing.
And I forgot about Gene Autry
and the things he taught me
when I heard Thelonious Monk.
And when roundup time was over
we rode into town
I tied Old Paint right up to the door.
And when Monk played Round Midnight
the house came down
you can hear Old Paint just a-snortin for more.
I hear the boys in the bunkhouse singin Straight no Chaser
and my heart goes clickety clunk.
Now that's all I want to hear
Cause I have branded my last steer
All because, all because
of Thelonious Monk.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17544 - 03/05/19 at 16:40:04

Listened to the last two CDs of Art Pepper at the "Maiden Voyage" in LA 1982...

Then Holly Cole...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17545 - 03/05/19 at 18:26:20

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17546 - 03/05/19 at 19:22:23

Time for some fun music. First:

"Spotlight on Eddie Condon & Dixieland All Stars"

Then, Miles Davis "Live at the Plugged Nickel" Columbia 2 LP set

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17547 - 03/05/19 at 19:24:01

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17548 - 03/06/19 at 16:59:22

Spinning vinyl this morning. Darn it sounds good. I see why some get all snobby about vinyl playback. My system has improved since I last had vinyl playback, and it shows.

Thelonious Monk "The Thelonious Monk Memorial Album" 2 LP set

Flora Purim "500 Miles High"
(one of my favorite LPs ever, bought when it was first released).

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17549 - 03/06/19 at 21:07:00

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 ... 513
Send Topic Print