Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #17700 - 04/14/19 at 13:46:30

I hear you, it's frustrating. From reports of those who bought in the shop seems like it actually retailed more like 25 to 28. amazon.ca had some copies yesterday for about 38 all in and that's the top of the line for me and I ordered one, will see if I actually get one, seems odd they were offering them. I can live without it but it would complete my BOTT collection--I have an original LP, a Sony Blu-Spec CD2, the MoFi SACD, and the six cd "More Blood, More Tracks." The RSD is a reissue of a true rarity and it would be nice to have.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17701 - 04/14/19 at 14:15:06

Mark,

Bob Dylan ‎– More Blood, More Tracks - The Bootleg Series Vol. 14 Deluxe Edition, is an excellent box set. I pre-ordered it and have listened through the set three times. Also discussed it pretty heavily with one of my best friends, trumpeter Dave Laczko, which has been a fun series of phone calls.

The "test pressing" has only been on bootleg release before, and even the bootleg cd is hard to find now. It does not have anything musically unique except for "Idiot Wind," which has an organ part (which is called "the spooky organ part") that has not appeared on any other release, including the box set you reference. Also, like the box set the tracks on the "test pressing" aren't sped up 2-3% as they are on the original LP, and the mixes on the "test pressing" are different than the mixes used on the original LP and different than the mixes on the box set of the same tracks. So it is unique only in one instrumental part and mixes that only appear here.

I haven't heard it per se and so can't attest to its quality in comparison to the others as far as mixes go.

As for whether this will appear on cd. . . . I don't know. It should have been on the box set if anywhere, and it wasn't. There have been other "extras" only within a box set (for example the extra disc of the Isle of Wight Concert in the "Another Self Portrait" box set) and the original Basement Tape RSD release (copying an acetate that Columbia circulated among artists of Basement Tape songs, and that caused some to be recorded by others such as Jimi Hendrix) LP that even though time has passed have not appeared on cd. So my guess. . . we won't be seeing the "Test Pressing" on cd anytime soon. The Dylan camp seems to like their "exclusives" to remain exclusive.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17702 - 04/14/19 at 14:28:56

The Bottomline for me, as I should remember when things like this happen, is that I have more CDs and LPs than I could listen to in two lifetimes.  Recently I have cut back on my buying and limit myself to those I truly love or something unique.  The Dylan and Evans LPs qualified but I had a list of 8 items I was prepared to buy when I walked into the record store. I can't help but resent all those who take an event that's meant for true Vinyl buyers and turn it into yet another money making scheme by buying up the supply meant for fans...just like concert tickets and Black Friday sales...it has become an industry to hire people to stand in line and buy up large quantities of product for immediate resale...

Next year I may try finding a less well known and popular Store that gets RSD LPs...on the Hoffman forum I read about two that may qualify near me where there was little to no line...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17703 - 04/14/19 at 14:39:43

ha...got an email from Plaid Room Records earlier... this was part of it...

"Please understand that just because your items are "in your cart" it is not reserved for you. You need to complete checkout in order to truly reserve it. Because depending upon the speed at which you checkout, it's possible that you can have something in your cart but someone else might check it out faster and you can lose it."

No SHIT!

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17704 - 04/14/19 at 14:58:14

Well, the whole RSD phenomenon is designed to bring people into record stores. Some stores this seems to mean the difference between hanging on and failing according to a lot I read. It works for that, and there are always going to be those taking advantage of the system. There's little you can do about it but get up early and stand in line, something that is a younger person's game I'm afraid. (Well for little old me the hard part is the standing in line, getting up early, no problem!)

Like you I have more than enough recordings and it is the unique and new discoveries that make me excited and blow my resolve to slow down with buying and collecting. The Dylan was the only item on LP that attracted me this time. As much as I enjoy LPs I find digital generally cheaper to get and sounding fantastic in my systems so I target that when I can. I do like buying used LPs of 'fifties vintage as they sound so so good. . . I really hesitate to spend thirty to forty dollars for deluxe LP reissues.

I'm going to keep collecting, much to my wife's chagrin I suppose, though I do realize I need to start downsizing the collection, and have actually started slowly doing so. I enjoy being the age I am but one aspect of that is a shortened time to come and considering the mess I leave behind for someone else!

Regardkig that purchase online. . . PayPal may have helped you get it. Quick is the modus operandum.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17705 - 04/14/19 at 15:16:33

Well, I just decided to take my time and explore Plaid room, a new store to me.  They had a page with all their RSD offerings, most had the sold out sign over them but I found a couple I hadn't originally had on my list that I now decided were worth buying, so I got a couple RSD items...and free shipping... now I have something to look forward to Smiley

Van Morrison, Astral Weeks Alternative [10" Vinyl]

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, 4 Way Street (Expanded Edition) 3 LP

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17706 - 04/14/19 at 15:38:01

Lon said..."It does not have anything musically unique except for "Idiot Wind," which has an organ part (which is called "the spooky organ part") that has not appeared on any other release, including the box set you reference."

I think this is the track you site...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBLViMLws10

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17707 - 04/14/19 at 17:23:10

Yes. But I'm not a youtube user and it wouldn't do me good to have it on youtube. That's the only really "different" music part of the Test Pressing, the other differences are speed of the playback and mixing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17708 - 04/14/19 at 17:24:23

mark58 wrote on 04/14/19 at 15:16:33:
Well, I just decided to take my time and explore Plaid room, a new store to me.  They had a page with all their RSD offerings, most had the sold out sign over them but I found a couple I hadn't originally had on my list that I now decided were worth buying, so I got a couple RSD items...and free shipping... now I have something to look forward to Smiley

Van Morrison, Astral Weeks Alternative [10" Vinyl]

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, 4 Way Street (Expanded Edition) 3 LP

Cool. Don't need either of those myself, but I hope you get them and they are upgrades!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17709 - 04/16/19 at 15:31:36

CD #3 of 6...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17710 - 04/16/19 at 17:25:50

CD #2 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17711 - 04/16/19 at 18:22:24

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17712 - 04/16/19 at 18:31:27

Been too long since I played this one. Nice arrangements, good players, and the sexy voice of Ms Adnet, who knows her Jobim as she was in his final bands for some time.

Maucha Adnet "The Jobim Songbook"

Followed by

Duke Ellington, "The Popular Ellington" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17713 - 04/16/19 at 20:28:30

CD #2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17714 - 04/17/19 at 10:17:57

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17715 - 04/17/19 at 11:00:25

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17716 - 04/17/19 at 12:14:40

CD #2 of 2...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17717 - 04/17/19 at 15:21:40

Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Now Please Don't You Cry Beautiful Edith" Verve Universal Japan cd

Followed by Chet Baker "Peace" Enja/Solid Records Japan cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17718 - 04/17/19 at 15:58:13

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17719 - 04/17/19 at 18:52:07

Adventure Music Piano Masters Series Vol.1, Benjamin Taubkin

Beautiful disc.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17720 - 04/17/19 at 19:50:23

Thelonious Monk "The London Collection--the Complete Last Recordings" Japan 2 cd set, disc 2 (Trio material)

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17721 - 04/20/19 at 13:37:40

Dire Straits "Love Over Gold". Industrial Disease is just killing it with the 25th Anniversary ZROCK2 in the chain. Mind blowing sound coming from my Omega SAHO XRS speakers.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17722 - 04/20/19 at 17:12:42

"Introducing the Kenny Drew Trio" Blue Note, Japan UHQCD. Sounds fantastic. Great playing.

Followed by
The Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet "Phase III" Japanese mini-lp facsimile SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17723 - 04/20/19 at 18:03:16

Another wonderful release from Adventure Music. Excellent sound.

"Fronteiras Imaginarias" Antonio Arnedo, Benjamin Tabukin, Joao Taubkin, Sergio Reze

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17724 - 04/20/19 at 19:04:47

Album: Blood Oranges in the Snow
Artist: Over the Rhine
Release year: 2014
Dan Figurelli      Engineer
Ryan Freeland      Mastering, Mixing

The Trumpet Child
Artist: Over the Rhine
Release date: August 21, 2007
Peter Hicks      Engineer

New find, I like it

Domus
Artist: Sílvia Pérez Cruz
Release year: 2016

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17725 - 04/20/19 at 20:39:14

Astrud Gilberto "Now" 24/96 side of Dual Disc

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17726 - 04/20/19 at 21:03:46

Ben Webster "Valentine's Day 1964 Live!" DOT Time cd. With David Friedman, Richard Davis and Grady Tate.

Sound is okay, performance is killer.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17727 - 04/20/19 at 21:23:26

Patty Griffin  
Patty Griffin
Mike Poole      Engineer, Mixing

Wesseltoft*, Schwarz* ‎– Duo
Bugge Wesseltoft, Henrik Schwarz
Year:2011
Mastered By – Bo Kondren

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17728 - 04/20/19 at 23:37:36

Canyon Songs
Lisa Bassenge
Engineer – Vanessa Parr
Mastered By – Bernie Grundman

Bernadette Seacrest And Her Yes Men ‎– Live
Bernadette Seacrest ‎– none
Released: 2005
Craig Schumacher      Mixing
Another new one.  Sounds good
A real Nighthawks at the Diner vibe.  

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17729 - 04/22/19 at 15:31:19

Thad Jones "The Magnificent" Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder lp facsimile cd Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17730 - 04/22/19 at 16:51:45

"Charles Tolliver All-Stars" cd 2019, Strata East (via Mosaic Records).

Sounds great, no mastering credit.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #17731 - 04/22/19 at 20:06:20

Hey Lon, Where do you get all your jazz cd's?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17732 - 04/22/19 at 20:20:03

All over the place. Amazon, eBay, Dusty Groove, Mosaic Records/True Blue Music, www.cdjapan.co.jp. . . they just fall into my lap. Wink

IP Logged
NEXTLEVEL5
Verified Member

Reply #17733 - 04/22/19 at 23:05:14

Currently listening to Miles Davis vinyl flac rips.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17734 - 04/23/19 at 14:56:50

Cd

( 1500 posts !  And my first with my new Arcam CD33.
Wow, a big step up from the old Rotel, a purity and soundscape that's very satisfying. )

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17735 - 04/23/19 at 18:31:49

Cd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17736 - 04/25/19 at 13:50:48

Don Rendell/Ian Carr 5tet "Dusk Fire" SHM-CD

Followed by
Grant Green "Feelin' the Spirit" Blue Note Japan Universal reissue cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17737 - 04/25/19 at 16:40:08

Bobby Hutcherson "Cookin' with Blue Note at Montreux" Blue Note Japan EMI cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17738 - 04/25/19 at 19:30:52

Bennie Green "Walking Down" Universal Japan DSD remastered Prestige reissue

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17739 - 04/25/19 at 19:43:44

Cd 1 of a 3 disc set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17740 - 04/25/19 at 20:12:17

Cannonball Adderley "Them Dirty Blues" Milestone cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17741 - 04/26/19 at 00:39:00

Eric Dolphy "Out There" SACD

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17742 - 04/27/19 at 20:22:07

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17743 - 04/27/19 at 21:16:49

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17744 - 04/27/19 at 21:18:27

Kun en drøm
Sinne Eeg
George Whitty      Mastering, Mixing

Anybody who is into female jazz vocalists Sinne Eeg is a must listen (Mark are you there?).  Most of her albums are in english which astounds me even more.  I am a little confused as there is an album with almost the same cover called Remembering You which has some of the same songs and released about the same time.  I don't have it yet but it's on the list.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17745 - 04/27/19 at 21:37:01

Was playing Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Now please don't you cry beautiful Edith" Verve Universal Japan cd.

Now playing Antonio Carlos Jobim "Passarim" Verve Japan cd

I used to like this Jobim, but now a decade or two later I get the nostalgic air, the excitement of new love late in life, and the sad grief in the words "dos bessos nunco mas"--those kisses . , . never more.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17746 - 04/27/19 at 21:56:04

Ms Eeg from Denmark: Thanks for mentioning her, I had been meaning to sample her work and listened to some tracks from a few releases. Beautiful woman, nice voice. Didn't really intrigue me. One reviewer said "If you like soft jazz . . . " I guess I like mine a bit less soft.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17747 - 04/28/19 at 07:22:43

Not sure the tracks you heard or the reviews you read  but I wouldn't agree with that classification.  When I think of smooth jazz Kenny G or Gearge Benson come to mind.  She's not that.

According to Jazz Times "Sinne Eeg is likely the finest contemporary jazz singer you’ve yet to discover" https://jazztimes.com/reviews/vox/sinne-eeg-dreams/  which really isn't true because I posted about her but...

Music Republic Magazine
http://www.musicrepublicmagazine.com/2017/12/sinne-eeg-dreams-stunt-1st-december...
probably the best female jazz singer I have heard since the legends such as Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald.

I don't think I know enough about jazz make that kind of statement but I can say her voice is special.

Maybe a really good "piano lounge" jazz would be a closer description. (I'm pissed because she actually was in Seattle Jazz Alley in February and I didn't know who she was so of course I didn't go).  

I do have a thing for accordians so there might be a little bias on this album...
Marc Berthoumieux      Accordion, Featured Artist
and horns
Randy Brecker      Featured Artist, Flugelhorn

Jacob Christoffersen      her piano player is pretty good too.  Same review"Pianist Jacob Christoffersen has that Dave Grusin touch, and also put me in mind of the great and underrated Billy Taylor"

She also writes a lot of her own music which for me is also gets bonus points.  She's not just a singer mouthing other peoples words.  Nothing wrong with standards the first 100 times I heard them but I've heard em.

I don't really know how to classify jazz but she's along the same vein as Eva Cassidy or the Lisa Bassenge Trio - the  A Sigh, A Song album.  Patricia Barber would be in the same classification I would think but if I remember correctly Lon's not much of a Patricia Barber fan either.

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17748 - 04/28/19 at 08:46:46

I'm glad you are enjoying her Dana. It's great when you discover someone new you connect to. That enthusiasm is exciting to feel. I've been feeling that way lately about the work of La Falla and Villa Lobos.

I don't read Jazz Times, or Music Republic, as I haven't found a lot of their reviewing to match my tastes.I didn't say "smooth jazz" even once. The quote was "soft jazz" and yes I'd say sort of Patricia Barber like. I'm not a Barber fan. Or a Holly Cole fan. Or a Stacey Kent fan. Or an Eva Cassidy fan. Or a "piano lounge singer" fan. Or much of a Billy Taylor or Dave Grusin or even Michael Brecker fan.  Etc. When the reviewer (a listener, not a pro) called her "soft jazz" that was the association I made. Regardless I sampled tracks from three albums and I just didn't want to go forward. That's me, that's my tastes, we're all different. I have my tastes well settled in and they differ, and  I may try her again in the future but for now I wasn't intrigued enough to pursue her work. There's millions of albums out there, and thousands in my home, I'm on my own path, just as you are on yours.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17749 - 04/28/19 at 12:43:06

Thanks for bringing Sinne Eeg to my attention.  I'm enjoying this live performance at one of the venues at "The Kennedy Center", Millennium Stage.  I also have her saved on Spotify to explore some albums...

PS...In the inevitable comparison that pops into our minds involuntarily, who popped into mine?  Dianna Reeves and Jane Monheit. Undeniable talent and beautiful voice.  I like that she sings a good sampling of standards with her originals.  IMO, standards can't be sung too many times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htVcMuJlqk4

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 ... 513
Send Topic Print