Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 357 358 ... 513
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1871863 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #17750 - 04/28/19 at 13:53:13

As I listen I'm looking forward to some Audeze in ear headphones I ordered.  I got the B-stock meaning they were returned but fully warranted.  You can get "New" for 50 bucks more.

I spend a lot of time listening via my laptop and Red Dragonfly DAC for movies, TV Series on Prime and music on spotify or youtube.  I have been using Sennheiser CX-500 ear buds...I thought this would be a big step up for not much money...$149.  I love my Audeze LCD headphones but hooking up my Taboo MK III amp is a PITA and I can't wear the Headphones near as long as ear buds.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this deal along...60% off is substantial.

https://www.audeze.com/products/isine-series/isine10-ear-headphone?_ke=eyJrbF9lb...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17751 - 04/28/19 at 14:10:26

Looks like a good deal. Audeze are good headphones. Enjoy! I'm listening the most to my Sennheiser HD800 S. With the ZROCK2 these just sing with the CSP3-25, my main headphone listening amp.

Right now,
Wynton Marsalis "Blood on the Fields" disc one

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17752 - 04/28/19 at 14:32:18

I also have some Sennheiser HD800s that I haven't used in years.  I found them too bright for me.  I thought about doing the mod I read about but ultimately just listened to the LCDs as my headphone choice.  The way I have my second system set up I can easily plug in my HD800s to the CSP3 and see if the ZROCK allows me to warm them up a bit.  Might try them again soon.  I have things setup so I can easily listen to my Jolida CDP or Laptop...even LPs via the ZP3 if I switch out one of the inputs.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17753 - 04/28/19 at 15:08:08

mark58 wrote on 04/28/19 at 14:32:18:
I also have some Sennheiser HD800s that I haven't used in years.  I found them too bright for me.  I thought about doing the mod I read about but ultimately just listened to the LCDs as my headphone choice.  The way I have my second system set up I can easily plug in my HD800s to the CSP3 and see if the ZROCK allows me to warm them up a bit.  Might try them again soon.  I have things setup so I can easily listen to my Jolida CDP or Laptop...even LPs via the ZP3 if I switch out one of the inputs.

Mark, there are HD800 which were known to be bright, and then the subsequent model HD800 S which were modified to be less bright. Without the ZROCK2 these are not bright, but just a bit lean, working well with a lot of material. The ZROCK2 allows them to be. . . perfect imo. This combo of amp and headphone is my favorite of the three amp and three headphone pairs I have.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17754 - 04/28/19 at 15:10:09

Bernard Purdie

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17755 - 04/28/19 at 15:19:08

Träden (Träd, Gräs och Stenar)

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17756 - 04/28/19 at 15:32:43

I just saw that a pair of  Decware SE84C-S Amps made in Jan 2001 went for $568 on ebay...seems like a great deal.  Is it?  I watch sales but I have too much audio equipment as it is, so I don't participate.  I do enjoy following along though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Decware-High-Performance-Audio-Model-SE84C-S-AC-Ope...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17757 - 04/28/19 at 16:17:48

That's a good deal in my estimation. Though the amps made this decade are much better in many ways these will still be the heartbeat of a musical system.

Were they mine I would have asked for more money. Not sure I'd have gotten that but I'd have asked.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17758 - 04/28/19 at 16:19:00

Drunkard's Prayer
Artist: Over the Rhine
Release year: 2005
Mahan Kaipa      Engineer, Mixing, Producer

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17759 - 04/28/19 at 17:13:12

Kenny Clarke "Bohemia After Dark" Savoy (listening to the Savoy/Denon 20 bit LP facsimile cd.) Cheesy LP cover for sure, but blazing music, featuring the recording debut of Cannonball Adderley and his brother Nat.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17760 - 04/28/19 at 23:18:05

Moon Beams
Artist: Bill Evans Trio
Release year: 1962
Bill Schwartau      Engineer

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
ZENTISH
Verified Member

Reply #17761 - 04/30/19 at 00:36:38

Hi, MARK58, I saw those zens on ebay, somebody got a great deal!!
If you look at the sellers other items it looks like a Decware speaker maybe? He does not say Decware in his ad, only the name of the tweeter. No bids yet, I think because of the title of his ad. Could be good deal for someone, not me because I have my dream speakers Cool
Tish

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17762 - 04/30/19 at 09:49:37

CD #4...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17763 - 04/30/19 at 10:42:06

Tish, I looked at those speakers and yes, they look like a pair of Decware radials...the ERR speakers before the recent update.  Also notice they have a pair of Clarity Caps in addition to the resistors for the tweeters.  I too have too many speakers as it is.  We'll leave those for someone else.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17764 - 04/30/19 at 10:58:01

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17765 - 04/30/19 at 13:16:17

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17766 - 04/30/19 at 13:46:09

This is a Dead album that is many person's favorite but that took me a long time to really appreciate. Just as it took me a long time to realize the title is both "American BEAUTY" and "American REALITY" . . . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17767 - 04/30/19 at 15:18:44

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17768 - 04/30/19 at 17:25:19

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17769 - 04/30/19 at 19:21:59

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17770 - 05/01/19 at 12:55:25

A discussion on another forum about Paul Buckmaster's work with Elton John and others made me pull out his collaboration with Miles Davis.

Miles Davis "On the Corner" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17771 - 05/01/19 at 14:50:44

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Tide" Japanese A&M Universal cd

Followed by
Helen Merrill/Dick Katz "Deep in a Dream" HQCD from Japan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17772 - 05/01/19 at 15:48:46

Felt like another Helen Merrill. This one is excellent . . . . Gershwin!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17773 - 05/01/19 at 18:50:25

3x Lp

Sorry, make that a 4x Lp     Cool
Great sound

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17774 - 05/01/19 at 20:24:00

Antonio Carlos Jobim and Gal Costa "Rio Revisited" Japan Verve cd

This is an excellent video performance as well. I love this late band of Jobim's--his wife and son and daughter-in-law and wives and girlfriends of the rest of the band, a traveling family having wonderful fun. The joy of playing and being together comes through.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17775 - 05/02/19 at 02:29:05

Paula Morelenbaum and the SWR Big Band "Bossarenova." Wow, great sound and interesting arrangements. . . and that gorgeous voice.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17776 - 05/03/19 at 18:23:20

This came earlier this week.  Listening to CD #1.  I like the playing but the sound quality isn't all that great.  So I'm not that upset about missing the Vinyl.  The prior Bill Evans releases on Resonance Records were far superior in sound quality.  I assume this is the best they could do with the source material.

PS...if you are a Bill Evans fanatic like me, get this.  If not, this is far from essential.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17777 - 05/03/19 at 19:46:33

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17778 - 05/03/19 at 20:45:42

I've had this Evans a week and haven't listened to it yet. From what I've read I expected the sound to be closer to "Top of the Gate" than the most recent two Evans from Resonance. I'll spin it soon. Been listening to two other Evans to evaluate the system lately, "Tokyo Concert" (Blu-Spec CD2 version from Sony) and "Montreux II" (Blu-Spec CD version on CTI Supreme from Sony).

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17779 - 05/03/19 at 20:58:14

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17780 - 05/04/19 at 01:02:03

My Russian Soul
Viktoria Tolstoy ‎
Released: 2008
Producer: Nils Landgren
Recorded By, Mixed By, Mastered By: Lasse Nilsson

Great accordianist???  accordian : Lelo Nika

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #17781 - 05/04/19 at 02:28:51

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17782 - 05/04/19 at 14:33:55

Listening to the second CD of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17783 - 05/04/19 at 15:30:06

CD #1 of 2....

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17784 - 05/04/19 at 16:40:05

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17785 - 05/04/19 at 19:15:35

Varsamt
Monica Z* ‎– (Monica Zetterlund)
Released: 1991
Recorded By, Mixed By: Janne Ugand, Janne Hansson

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17786 - 05/05/19 at 13:04:50

I hadn't planned on posting but I listened to CD #2 of these two sets.  I felt compelled to bump the shoe intruder... Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17787 - 05/05/19 at 13:09:45

Now this live Monk...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17788 - 05/05/19 at 22:49:02

Bobby Hutcherson "Happenings" Blue Note Japan RVG lp facsimile cd edition.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17789 - 05/05/19 at 23:25:15

Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet "Shades of Blue" SHM-CD from Japan

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17790 - 05/05/19 at 23:39:39

Loving this concert.  PETER GABRIEL - Secret World Live.  I saw this Tour on July 29, 1993...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azas-1zInJ8

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17791 - 05/06/19 at 00:01:56

Rosemary Clooney "Rosie Solves the Swinging Riddle" KOCH cd

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17792 - 05/06/19 at 16:07:03

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17793 - 05/06/19 at 17:35:48

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17794 - 05/06/19 at 17:37:48

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17795 - 05/06/19 at 20:19:32

CD #1 of 3...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17796 - 05/07/19 at 21:33:13

Carmen McRae "Sings Lover Man and other Billie Holiday Classics" Columbia cd

Followed by: Lester Young "Complete Clarinet Works," Cabu 2 cd set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17797 - 05/08/19 at 17:28:13

I was going through my Blue Note cds and discovered I had two copies of this Connoisseur Edition cd and figured I might as well listen to one of them!

Frank Foster "Manhattan Fever"

Followed by
Jimmy Smith "At the Organ, Volume 1" Japanese RVG edition lp-facsimile cd. The way the system sounds today this one just leaps out of the speakers.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17798 - 05/09/19 at 12:21:39

On Billy Joel's Birthday, I'm listening to CD #1 of 2 of this via spotify/laptop/red dragonfly DAC/Audeze in ear phones...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17799 - 05/09/19 at 19:09:32

Been playing around with speaker placement, speaker isolation and DAC operating system firmware today. A bit of audiophile fun with good results.

Listened to:

Lou Donaldson "The Scorpion: Live at the Cadillac Club" Blue Note Rare Groove series cd

and
Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks "Test Pressing" RSD LP

and
Duke Ellington "Ellington Indigos" Columbia mono LP

finally, this excellent cd
Helen Merrill "You and the Night and the Music" Gitanes Jazz cd

Ended up with my speakers sitting directly on PS Audio PowerBases with zero toe-in as the best sound, and with DAC firmware 3.06. Really enjoying the sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 356 357 358 ... 513
Send Topic Print