Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #17800 - 05/09/19 at 19:39:05

Now on to Kenny Dorham "The Complete 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia," the 2 cd RVG edition from Japan, disc 1.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17801 - 05/12/19 at 13:46:11

CD #1 of three.  I had the music on this set on separate Blue note/EMI CDs but when I saw this auction with a buy it now option, I had to have it... Smiley

PS...forgot to say how much I paid, $50 plus $4 shipping.  I think that's a good deal

CD #1 of this set...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #17802 - 05/12/19 at 17:13:37

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17803 - 05/12/19 at 20:41:33

Been an in-law event weekend, haven't listened too much but everything that I have listened to sounds great!

Have spun:

Duke Ellington "Piano in the Foreground"
Milles Davis "Collecter's Items"
Stan Getz & Chet Baker "Stockholm Concert" Disc 3
Lou Donaldson "Midnight Sun"
Milt Jackson "Bag's Opus"
Walt Dickerson "Lawrence of Arabia"

And now playing:

Woody Shaw "Live in Basel 1980" disc 1

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17804 - 05/12/19 at 20:54:32

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17805 - 05/13/19 at 02:06:52

Disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17806 - 05/13/19 at 13:50:30

I still come back to Chuck once in a while...call it nostalgia...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17807 - 05/13/19 at 15:47:25

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17808 - 05/14/19 at 21:44:14

Mal Waldron "Mal-1" or "All the Things You could be if Charles Mingus was once Your Employer". . . . This is a very Mingusian session imo. Listening to. very early Japanese Prestige cd.

Followed by
This excellent Kenny Burrell session. I always forget how good this one is. "Midnight Blue," Platinum SHM-SACD from Blue Note Japan.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17809 - 05/15/19 at 02:13:58

Conversations
Vincent Bélanger, Anne Bisson ‎
Released:2016
Arranged By – Jacques Roy
Mixed By – Jacques Roy
Producer – Jacques Roy

Classified as Clasical / Jazz.  Some classical sounding cuts some jazz type vocals.  I've never heard it before but this is something I'll listen to A LOT!

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17810 - 05/15/19 at 15:02:14

I came to Tania Maria late, experiencing her via a riveting segment of a performance DVD of her very talented nephew, Ed Motta.

She's a wonderful talent full of a quirky energy and a very well-crafted musical vision. This one with Pedersen is one of my favorites, there's some drama and funk here that is contagious. And one of those rare cds that sounds better as you turn it up.

Tania Maria & Niels-Henning Řrsted Pedersen "Live in Copenhagen"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17811 - 05/15/19 at 15:24:26

The LP facsimile 24 bit Blue Note RVG reissues from Japan are sounding really nice on my system lately, especially as I can press a button and reverse phase and several sound better that way. I'm starting to look for these used at good prices. The cds didn't always sound that great to me, but things change as your system does.

Now playing Donald Byrd "The Cat Walk" Blue Note Japan. This is an impressive, and in my opinion progressive album from Byrd and Adams.

Duke and Donald are pushing Philly Joe and he's giving back. The arranging and interplay on this album remind me of the Coleman-Hancock-Carter-Willams Miles Davis Quintet to arrive very soon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17812 - 05/15/19 at 16:13:52

Cannonball Adderley "Somethin' Else" Blue Note Japan Platinum SHM-CD  (mono mix).

I'm finally getting a great mono sound in my room, and the discs in this series sound really really good. Cannonball is a delight to hear on this one, very well-captured by RVG.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17813 - 05/15/19 at 18:18:33

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #17814 - 05/15/19 at 20:03:20

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17815 - 05/15/19 at 20:59:29

Disc 2 of 3
"John Coltrane & Friends"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17816 - 05/16/19 at 13:46:30

Well, I already bought 4 Amperex 6DJ8 tubes today...$30...a true addict.

I couldn't make it all the way through Lon and Will's screeds on Reality and Perception but will circle back when I'm in a more receptive mood  ;)  I came to the conclusion more than 10 years ago that trying to convince others that their reality and perceptions aren't rooted in fact is pointless.  As a result, I usually stick to safe conversation to avoid "triggering" anyone.  I have a good friend, an artist, who clings to his version of reality no matter how much irrefutable data or documentary evidence he is presented with.  It is understandable, I guess, when the media ecosystem here spreads false and misleading information on a daily basis and has for the more than a decade that I've been paying attention.  It doesn't matter to the media ecosystem and it's followers if "their" version of reality has been shown to have been false.  So many still choose to cling to their untethered beliefs.  I must admit a certain pleasure watching it all unfold...I find it all very entertaining...Sad    ;D

Back to the tunes...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17817 - 05/16/19 at 13:58:27

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17818 - 05/16/19 at 14:58:25

CD #6...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17819 - 05/16/19 at 16:41:50

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17820 - 05/16/19 at 18:18:39

I told myself I wasn't going to buy this set, I've bought this material so many times, and I did resist the ridiculous price fo the LP set, but saw a great deal on the cd set and went for it. I did so because I read really positive remarks about the remastering by Paul Blackmore. This engineer did fantastic work for Universal Japan in their Prestige etc. reissue series, doing DSD remastering. So I expected good sound.

And I got it. Really nice sound. I'm enjoying going through these recordings again. This time around I have noticed a Cannonball influence on Trane I hadn't before, and this week with these and other recordings I'm impressed with Donald Byrd yet again.

John Coltrane "Coltrane '58" Cds 1 and 4.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17821 - 05/16/19 at 18:30:15

Lon, I'll have to look that one up.  I have a lot of Coltrane's Prestige output on single CDs as well as the Big Red Box Set.  Oh...and of course, LP reissues...

Now for something different...CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17822 - 05/16/19 at 19:40:20

I have saved "Coltrane 58" on spotify to listen to later.  I looked at the discography of what's included...looks very good from what I can remember.  If the sound is noticeably improved..it may be a future purchase.

PS...looks like the Coltrane 58 set is the same material in the same order as the last 5 CDs of the 16 CD Red Box...remastered...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17823 - 05/16/19 at 21:20:49

Right, it's the final year of recordings for Prestige so that's where they are on the big box set. Probably not worth buying as the mastering isn't a HUGE improvement, but I like the whole package and am glad I got it.

Right now trying a new HDMI cable, optical this time, between my DMP and DSD and listening to

McCoy Tyner "Sahara"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17824 - 05/17/19 at 17:47:47

Miles Davis "At the Plugged Nickel Live Chicago" Sony 2 CD set

Followed by
Rhiannon Giddens "There is No Other" Nonesuch cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17825 - 05/17/19 at 18:32:37

John Coltrane "Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings" Disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17826 - 05/18/19 at 14:35:41

Johnny Hammond "Gambler's Life" CTI Supreme Blu-Spec CD.

It's a funky morning. . . out there and in here.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17827 - 05/19/19 at 12:54:33

I wanted to do a little listening before the Sunday News programs so loaded spotify and listening with the Audeze ear phones...CD #1.  Right out of the gate..."Lush Life" lovely...

PS...looked up the details for the first session...

John Coltrane Quintet
Donald Byrd, trumpet; John Coltrane, tenor sax; Red Garland, piano; Paul Chambers, bass; Louis Hayes, drums.
Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, January 10, 1958
1434      Lush Life      Prestige 45-249, PRLP 7188
1435      The Believer      Prestige 45-315, PRLP 7292
1436      Nakatini Serenade      Prestige PRLP 7292
1437      Come Rain Or Come Shine      Prestige PR 7378
1438      Lover      -

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17828 - 05/20/19 at 15:39:22

Okay, I'm done futzing about with things for a spell and really enjoying music. That is still what it is all about for me.

Some exciting (for me) cd reissues coming out in Japan in the next two months. Just got this in Saturday from Japan:

Horace Silver, "The Jody Grind" Blue Note Universal UHQCD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17829 - 05/21/19 at 11:07:24

Listening to this where I left off ...track 7, on spotify with the Rachel/CSP3/ZROCK/Zu Souls...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17830 - 05/21/19 at 13:04:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17831 - 05/21/19 at 14:13:58

Thelonious Monk "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk" Mosaic Records. LP 2 and 3

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17832 - 05/21/19 at 16:04:47

Stan Getz & Chet Baker "The Stockholm Concert" disc 2, Verve 3 cd set.

Followed by
"Milt Jackson" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17833 - 05/21/19 at 18:26:21

I finally got around to this excellent live recording.

Masabumi Kikuchi "Black Orpheus" ECM

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17834 - 05/21/19 at 23:46:50

The wonderful SACD version of Barney Wilen "Le Ca: New York Romance."

His partner Marie Moor is on the cover.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17835 - 05/22/19 at 13:07:56

Opened a package with 4 Amperex 6DJ8's...I put a 1959 with D getter and a 1960 with O getter into the Rachel...sounding good...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17836 - 05/22/19 at 13:45:07

"We all forgot we could fly."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8tfnF39ek

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17837 - 05/22/19 at 14:08:16

This brings back memories. I was at the first Crossroads Guitar Festival, day two...the closing act was ZZ Top and a storm was rolling in. Unfortunately I think some sets were abbreviated because of the storm. You can see the wind blowing their beards. What you can't see is that guys were crawling on the steel scaffolding taking down the banners and set...behind them is almost a bare set. Afterwards I didn't linger, I made it to my car before the Heavens unloaded...couldn't see a thing.  This was at The Cotton Bowl in Fair Park, Dallas...2004...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVJVTkJNXk

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17838 - 05/22/19 at 16:40:19

SPACE CAPTAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKZi0NWesEs

Mine was on 8 track tape.  I even had the movie poster.

thanks Mark

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17839 - 05/22/19 at 18:15:28

Dana, I watched that Joe Cocker version too...and a few others...

Love that song

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17840 - 05/22/19 at 18:46:44

Barney Wilen with the Mal Waldron Trio "Movie Themes from France"

Followed by Milt Jackson "At the Museum of Modern Art"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17841 - 05/22/19 at 18:49:17

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17842 - 05/22/19 at 19:20:02

"Big Blue" -- the Bob Dylan "Bootleg Series Vol.12: The Cutting Edge" Collector's edition, Disc 9.

". . .the sun's not yellow. . . it's chicken."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17843 - 05/22/19 at 20:30:00

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" recent Sony SACD (Stereo layer, not Quad layer). Disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17844 - 05/22/19 at 21:22:35

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17845 - 05/23/19 at 13:46:50

Cannonball Adderley "Cannonball's Bossa Nova" Riverside OJC cd.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17846 - 05/23/19 at 14:15:46

I could listen to that all day.  I'd never heard of Gov't mule.  Spotify that puppy... colt... jenny???

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17847 - 05/23/19 at 14:36:16

One of my favorite Mel Torme discs, "I Dig the Duke! I Dig the Count!" coupled with "Swings Schubert Alley". . . .Verve "Jazz Plus" cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17848 - 05/23/19 at 15:44:28

Dexter Gordon "At the Subway Club" Elemental Music cd, disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17849 - 05/23/19 at 18:43:24

I was in the mood for more long tall Dexter, so I'm listening to "Live at Carnegie Hall" from Dexter Gordon "Complete Columbia Albums" box set.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 357 358 359 ... 513
Send Topic Print