"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23550 - 07/25/23 at 21:39:34

From the shelves

The Band "Cahoots" Warner Bros. 50th Anniversary LP

This and "Stage Fright" were the final LPs I bought of The Band while I was in my rock phase. This remix is. . . interesting.

This was part of the "Free LPs" buy.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23551 - 07/26/23 at 15:10:31

Miles Davis "Big Fun" Columbia 2 LP. This copy is the one I bought while at the University of Chicago when this came out in '74.

I need to do some more spinning but I think there's been a change in bass output from the new SEWE300B.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23552 - 07/26/23 at 18:43:34

"Introducing Kenny Cox and the Contemporary Jazz Quintet" Blue Note reissue LP

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23553 - 07/27/23 at 15:39:35

Duke Ellington "Indigos" Columbia STEREO LP

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23554 - 07/27/23 at 16:19:46

"Jack Teagarden at the Roundtable" Roulette mono LP

I love this music. I have it in stereo on the Mosaic set, but man this mono LP sounds great. Roulette had great sound. And this is kickass music.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23555 - 07/27/23 at 19:30:35

I found this in the stacks.
Even found the exact release on discogs and stole the pic.

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique"

This is amazing!
I've already spun it twice.

Might go for a third, once the house settles a bit.

Tchaikovsky_-_Symphony_No__6_Pathetique.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23556 - 07/27/23 at 23:19:48

SO, now everyone has been fed, the dog has been out and I am going to sit and enjoy that Digital "Pathetique" I've been straining at for a few hours.
Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23557 - 07/28/23 at 15:00:36

From the shelves

Miles Davis "Friday Night, In Person at the Blackhawk, San Francisco" Columbia stereo LP

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23558 - 07/28/23 at 18:48:53

Gary McFarland "Soft Samba Strings" Verve LP

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23559 - 07/29/23 at 01:01:41

Jack Teagarden "Think Well of Me" Verve stereo LP

The predominantly melancholy mood really comes through. Another great Verve recording. With all but one composed by Willard Robison and Don Goldie on board there is much to like.

From the shelves.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23560 - 07/29/23 at 01:39:22

Grateful Dead "Wake of the Flood" Grateful Dead Records LP

Haven't spun this in quite some time, the second Dead LP I ever bought, and looking forward to the 50th Anniversary edition coming out on cd soon as it will include as the second disc what the vaults hold of the very first Dead show I saw, the second concert I ever attended as well. It was SOMETHING ELSE.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23561 - 07/29/23 at 14:02:32

From the shelves

Jackie McLean "It's Time!" Blue Note

The first LP from this box set:

"The Complete Blue Note 1964-66 Jackie McLean Sessions" Mosaic Records 6 LP set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23562 - 07/29/23 at 14:47:40

From the shelves

Jerry Garcia Band "Cats Under the Stars" Arista LP

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23563 - 07/29/23 at 15:28:22

Kind of neglected Hendrix lately. Jonesin' a little.

Going with one of my favorites from late in his career.

Jimi_Hendrix_Live_In_Maui.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23564 - 07/30/23 at 00:48:10

I do not know how this happened, but I discovered it a few weeks back.
Somehow, this Hendrix Superpak, Trip Records release double LP was dropped out of the many hundreds of albums we were moving from the old house, in such a hurry to vacate the old premises and just live life in our new home.

It was unintentionally covered over by a stack of boxes, flat against the concrete floor, which sat there for about a year, even through our winter.

So when I found this album forgotten, while I was reclaiming space and organizing, in this manner of disrespect, it was moldy on the outside cover and the outer plastic cover I had used was stuck to the floor.
I had already begun placing all my albums into higher quality liners well before we moved and nice covers for the outside.
However this one had suffered a massive misuse; sitting on a concrete floor over our winter and still forgotten through a full summer, then another winter before I got to that particular stack of unimportant boxes full of future projects for later.
I build and rebuild knives as another hobby interest. These boxes were full of high quality steel to refurb, rehandle, reshape, remake or what ever the Hell.

Anyway, the point of this speech is that I was using exclusively MO-FI to protect my albums back then, Now the outer plastic failed miserably. The cover is not usable or even salvageable in any way.

BUT, the albums inside protected by the nonPVC, inner liners, the LPs are just fine.
I gave them a clean up with my SpinClean, vaccuumed with my Vinyl Vac and repeated and they actually sound just fine. Not even warped at all after sitting under a stack of BS cast off, low importance boxes in the corner of my garage for more than a F-ing year!!

SuperPak, not accepted well by fans, an odd collection of early Hendrix efforts, worth something to me, though. To find that the albums actually survived this horrendous abuse is astounding.

MO-FI utility archival LP protection is what I used. The outers failed to protect the paper from this abuse, but the inners kept the albums themselves from harm.

I am so disgusted with myself for allowing this to happen, but the LPs were just fine.

Playing the not well accepted Superpak again, for the second time.
I can not believe they still work. All credit to MO-FI archival LP protection!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23565 - 07/30/23 at 13:46:43

Ella Fitzgerald "The Duke Ellington Songbook" Verve 2 LP set, Record 1

There may be better pressings I'm sure, and I do have another earlier, but great music.

From the shelves.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23566 - 07/30/23 at 14:00:22

A bit more Hendrix for today.

Jimi_Hendrix_Electric_Ladyland.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23567 - 07/30/23 at 19:50:30

What a relief--I'm back to playing digital discs as a replacement transport I bought arrived a half an hour ago. I really missed my silver discs.

Joe Henderson "Double Rainbow--the Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim" Verve cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23568 - 07/31/23 at 00:48:58

NO, no, no. That is only a portion of the saga.

What happened with the disc you could not get out of the other transport?

You say you miss your little shiny discs, but I would be getting out LARGE tools to rescue my captured disc.

Happy ending I hope?

Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23569 - 07/31/23 at 00:54:41

Stayed with Hendrix all day. Went through all the studio releases, even posthumous.

Next is "In The West"   This version of "Red House" is spectacular.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23570 - 07/31/23 at 01:25:51

No, I'm sending that transport back for repair. The disc drive is a sealed one and the disc is trapped within. I'm not going to try to remedy that. . . the transport costs thousands--I am not going to risk damaging it. There was another nearly new one for a ridiculous price available, I seized on it and it arrived today. Unfortunately. .. it needs breaking in another 300 hours or so. Sigh. It will be easy to sell one if and when the other comes back from repair; repair will take a month or so to come back to me.

So my long digital nightmare is over. . . but I won't say it has yet ended well.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23571 - 07/31/23 at 02:30:30

Yeah, good luck, Lon. Sounds like the right plan.

I was kidding with the chisel and hammer ideas.
Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23572 - 07/31/23 at 02:33:07

I know. If this drive were not a sealed one, I'd have been back in business the same day.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23573 - 07/31/23 at 09:57:04

"Falando de Amor: Familias Caymi e Jobim Canta Antonio Carlos Jobim" cd

Finally found a good copy of this, wow!

in the mail from eBay

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23574 - 07/31/23 at 10:53:41

I've neglected this one too long. Great vibe for this early morning. And a version of one of my favorite Sade tracks.

Dr. Lonnie Smith "Breathe" Blue Note cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23575 - 07/31/23 at 11:58:57

Grateful Dead "Here Comes Sunshine 1973" Disc 15, RFK Stadium

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23576 - 07/31/23 at 14:17:11

A lot of times when I've had a banquet with one single artist for a couple of days, I'll head over to the racks of content and just grab some random piece without really looking and play that.
It's not like any junk ever makes it to the racks, so today I pulled this out.

"Portrait" by the Fifth Dimension is not heavily hit laden, but still a great collection of sounds from that era.

I chose LP because I wanted to continue the run in on my newly refurb'ed Technics table I just got going again.
Not to make it sound bigger than it was to get it going again, but I basically rebuilt the motor control and so now it spins again. Not much to it, really, but she spins! I did not touch the quartz stuff, which seems fine still. I just brought up to date the old caps and crummy cast resistors.

If she keeps up, I will look at the cartridge and possibly upgrade, although this one is working great; Stanton D6800EL.
It doesn't look like much, a blob of metal screwed to the end of a tonearm with a spur sticking out of the end. Stantons were never pretty, but they have always sounded bright and crisp, which is a desirable contrast to the many more popular, darker sounding Shures of those days.

Enjoying Fifth Dimension ...

Fifth_Dimension_Portrait.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23577 - 07/31/23 at 14:45:07

How many times have I bought "Ballads"? A number of times.

Right before my wife "retired" and my finances took a nosedive I ordered this and "A Love Supreme" from the "Verve Acoustic Sounds SACD" series that Universal Japan has put out in SHM-SACD (non-hybrid) format.

I'm breaking in a new transport and have a new amp that is almost broken in and later I'll do some direct comparisons between other issues and this one but damn this sounds really good. Beautiful gatefold as well!

In from cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23578 - 07/31/23 at 17:51:50

Walter Smith III "Return to Casual" Blue Note cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23579 - 07/31/23 at 18:52:28

Stan Getz "East of the Sun: the West Coast Sessions" 3 cd set, disc 1

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23580 - 08/01/23 at 10:29:07

Stan Getz "East of the Sun: the West Coast Sessions" 3 cd set, disc 2

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23581 - 08/01/23 at 11:32:19

This one is new to me, and very nice.

Simon Belelty "Pee Wee" JoJo Records cd

https://lydialiebman.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Simon-Belelty-Cover-scaled.j...
pg

in from Dusty Groove

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23582 - 08/01/23 at 12:23:31

Chet Baker "Stairway to the Stars" Prestige cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23583 - 08/01/23 at 15:05:07

John Coltrane "A Love Supreme" SHM-SACD Universal Japan 2023

In from cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23584 - 08/01/23 at 16:10:48

Jack Teagarden "Think Well of Me" Verve Elite cd

This music again, this time on cd. In this case they are both great. The LP is a bit more "laid back" and atmospheric. This cd is focused and more room-filling with detailed strings and harp and the sound of Jack's trombone (how I love that sound!) is big and dynamic. Don Goldie's trumpet is also brilliant and full. (Man that guy can play). I'm glad I have both formats. One day maybe I'll grab a mono LP.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23585 - 08/01/23 at 20:30:55

Tom Harrell "Passages" Chesky cd

Quite a band!

Bass – Peter Washington
Drums – Paul Motian
Flute – Cheryl Pyle
Percussion – Cafι
Piano – Danilo Perez
Tenor Saxophone, Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – Joe Lovano
Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Composed By – Tom Harrell

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23586 - 08/01/23 at 21:25:50

Jonathon Blake "Homeward Bound" Blue Note cd

Acoustic Bass – Dezron Douglas
Alto Saxophone – Immanuel Wilkins
Drums, Producer – Johnathan Blake
Piano, Keyboards – David Virelles
Vibraphone – Joel Ross

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23587 - 08/01/23 at 23:59:15

Duke Ellington “Jump For Joy from the 1941 Production” Smithsonian LP

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23588 - 08/02/23 at 10:13:48

This one again--it was sounding so good.

Jonathon Blake "Homeward Bound" Blue Note cd

Acoustic Bass – Dezron Douglas
Alto Saxophone – Immanuel Wilkins
Drums, Producer – Johnathan Blake
Piano, Keyboards – David Virelles
Vibraphone – Joel Ross

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23589 - 08/02/23 at 10:33:30

Blossom Dearie "That's Just the Way I want to Be" Fontana lp facsimile UHQCD, Japan

Just got in all six of the Blossom Dearie discs released in Japan Friday. Beautiful LP facsimiles and a 2 cd digipak set.

In from cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23590 - 08/02/23 at 11:22:27

John Coltrane "Ballads" Impulse/Universal Japan SHM-SACD 2023

Listening to this one again. Have to admit it is one fine sounding disc. The depth of the sound field is represented very well.

In from cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23591 - 08/02/23 at 12:19:47

Sonny Clark Leapin' and Lopin' Blue Note, from the Sonny Clark Mosaic cd box set

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23592 - 08/02/23 at 13:40:44

Hey, Lon, I ordered that Coltrane, "Ballads" SACD today, along with a couple of others from cdjapan.
Thanks for posting the source.

Prices are killer! Shipping is murder!

It's been a while since I ordered anything from Japan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23593 - 08/02/23 at 13:45:47

Grateful Dead,"Here Comes Sunshine 1973" disc 17, RFK Stadium show second set

The only "Dark Star" in the box set.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23594 - 08/02/23 at 13:51:58

Yes, it's expensive. . . but we're lucky that the dollar is strong against the yen at the moment. I find that ordering three or four discs really helps with the shipping charges, and their points system means that with three or four orders you can get enough points that the shipping is much lower next time.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23595 - 08/02/23 at 14:30:28

True about offsetting shipping. I said "a couple" before, but I actually ordered six SACDs this morning.
Last time I ordered music from Japan it was some of the hot dog new pressing LPs, when I first heard about them.
At that time the vendor had a deal where you order $300 and you qualified for a flat rate shipping which saved more than half on shipping.

A handful of LPs and you got there quickly.

Then things changed for me and I no longer had spare change to pocket specialty LPs.

Today I splurged a little. My SACD collection is tiny, so I can hardly miss by buying jazz I love.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23596 - 08/02/23 at 17:45:30

I've not made it back to my stack in over a week.
I grabbed a bundle of Chris Botti to go through. Some I have never seen before.
Not this pile of Botti releases, but some artists' material I have a "fun" time even finding on the common internet sites. Or I find the description, numbers, but the cover is different or there is a booklet included and sometimes a DVD.

I know my late buddy traveled a lot in Europe toward the end of his music career, but it seems he often returned home with a trunkful of CDs and LPs from his stops.

That bundle of Chris Botti CDs is what's spinning this afternoon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23597 - 08/02/23 at 20:38:49

"Sweet Blossom Dearie" Fontana/UHQCD Japan

Recorded live at Ronnie Scott's with Blossom at the piano in a trio format, this is a good one.

In from cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23598 - 08/02/23 at 23:43:01

Quote:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71BEXyy-3xL._SS500_.jpg

Marquis Hill "Modern Flows Vol. 2"  

From the shelves

This one again--it is sounding so good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23599 - 08/03/23 at 11:17:32

"Latin + Jazz = Cal Tjader" DCC cd

Produced by Gary McFarland, mastered by Steve Hoffman

From the shelvea

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 472 473 474 ... 511
Send Topic Print