Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23650 - 08/10/23 at 10:26:56

Stefon Harris "Black Action Figure" Blue Note cd

Starting the day off with a recording that has it all. . . horns, quartet, swing, funk, introspective rumination.

from the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23651 - 08/10/23 at 11:12:47

"The Jackie Paris Sound" Atlantic/Collector's Choice cd

This century I discovered the joy of Jackie Paris recordings and this is a good one.

Bass – Joe Benjamin, Wendell Marshall
Drums – Bill Clark, Ed Shaughnessy
Guitar – Barry Galbraith
Piano – John James
Tenor Saxophone – Ed Wasserman

From the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23652 - 08/10/23 at 11:42:59

"Sugar Hill: The Music Of Duke Ellington And Billy Strayhorn" Chesky SACD

Javon Jackson, David Hazeltine, Tony Reedus, Paul Gill

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23653 - 08/10/23 at 15:50:30

Saw this cd on the shelves and had to spin it--this is such a sunny and warm and fun cd. I love Paula's voice . . . and Joao shares her bright musical spirit.

"Paula Morelenbaum & Joao Donato"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23654 - 08/10/23 at 16:23:09

Another beautiful sounding Adventure Music cd from Brazilian trombonist Vittor Santos!

Vittor Santos "Renewed Impressions"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23655 - 08/10/23 at 18:32:24

John Coltrane "Coltrane Plays the Blues" mono cd from this box set:

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23656 - 08/10/23 at 18:33:33

I just sampled that Vittor Santos music on Tidal and I want to buy it.

I know, I don't need to buy anything for a year or so, but I've become a bit intrigued with this Brazilian sound you keep after.
I find Brazilians everywhere, mostly classical guitar or actual classical adaptations, and some smoothish, but rarely any old school improvisational style jazz.
And often vocals are included, which I prefer to not hear, much.
It's not that I can't understand Portuguese, because I have many French vocalists I can not understand the words (maybe a few dozen French words, but no language art), or Italian (Well some more than others) and some African, Indian and Pakistani even (again, it's more cultural exposure to account for grasping even the gist of any lyric).

I just prefer intrumental music for myself. It's my way.
But, acquiring more "standard" jazz Brazilian is a goal.

Thanks for the constant Heads Up on "new to me" music.

For now, I have dug out my "Kind Of Blue" as a result of this thread progression. This was actually the very first SACD I ever bought. Before this one, I had bought the DVD-A version which I still have, but I don't use it. "The War" was still going back then. Buying both was my way of hedging my bet at the time. No one wants to be left out of KOB!
 [smiley=50.gif]

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23657 - 08/10/23 at 18:38:37

Glad you dig that Santos disc. I have made it a rule of thumb to sample anything on the Adventure Music label--they are always very well-recorded and nine times out of ten music I return to over and over.

I used to be "anti-vocal" in many types of music but this century jazz and Brazilain vocals have meant more to me, especially male instrumentalists who sing like Tom, Pops. Jackson, Fats, Woody et al and some women I can't resist, American and Brazilian.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23658 - 08/10/23 at 18:46:22

Thanks!
I'll work on adapting that rule.

Smiley

Oh, and I'm going there next!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23659 - 08/11/23 at 11:15:16

Dexter Gordon "Clubhouse" Blue Note EMI Japan cd.

One of my favorite Dexters with Freddie Hubbard, Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw, Billy Higgins.

From the shelvess

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23660 - 08/11/23 at 12:01:09

Duke Ellington Orchestra "Hot Summer Nights" Red Baron cd

Just one night in the life of the Orchestra, and they were unusually (it seems to me) tight that night.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23661 - 08/11/23 at 16:41:47

"The Amazing Benny Bailey--Mirrors--arranged and conducted by Francy Boland" Rearward Schema cd

Orchestral backing on some of these tracks is quite innovative for a horn and strings session. Very well-recorded as well.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23662 - 08/11/23 at 17:22:39

The Sahib Shihab Quintet "Seeds" Rearward Schema cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23663 - 08/11/23 at 17:55:37

Sahib Shibab "Companionship" Rearward Schema cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23664 - 08/11/23 at 19:52:58

Never seen this one before. It's from the stack of stuff.

I have dipped back into the LPs hoping to cull a bit. I saw this album, mono, original I think and again, this went to the front of the queue. Keeping this one.

How could I not. Look at that earnest baby face! I'm used to seeing him portrayed as my dad's age from when that meant old, not gone.
Grin

Wayne_Shorter_Introducing_Wayne_Shorter.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23665 - 08/11/23 at 19:57:05

Yes, Wayne's first for Vee Jay and I think his first leader date. I have this in a Mosaic box set and before that I had separate cd versions. Nice music.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23666 - 08/11/23 at 20:03:58

Oh, I love it. This one gets multiple spins!

Not found a CD of it yet, only this pristine LP.
Parts of me hesitates, but my gear is set up right. I am not destroying any treasures by playing them.
Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23667 - 08/11/23 at 21:04:25

You mentioned how you are somewhat less averse to vocals this century, but I am learning, especially some vibrant female vocalists.

But a few days ago I came across Pops, scatting to a rhythym and I could not stop listening.
Now understand the most hideous type of vocal renditions to me has always been the scatters. I hate that!  Mostly. I mean they call that what it is when animals do it and I concur!

But hearing his take was eye opening. So deep and beefy, forced gravel through a blender on SLOW speed, but rhythmic.  I threw the CD in the "keep pile" for some reason. I don't really think I'll ever get rid of anything he has done. It was just one song with scat, after all.

But I am becoming less averse to vocals as I hear more and hear more listenable attempts. I began to soften with the sultry female European vocalists, but bluesy guys are OK sometimes, too.

Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23668 - 08/11/23 at 21:46:49

Yes, cds of VeeJay jazz material have been hard to find. The label changed hands a few times and this century there have been very few official releases of the material. In the nineties the British Label Charly and the Spanish label Blue Moon had released Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Wynton Kelly and a few other artists' recordings for the label on cd.

Pops of course is credited with INVENTING scat vocals, though he may have just been the first to record them, and New Orleans musicians were probably singing scat before him. His was always a melodic and rhythmic thing. The other two who were excellent at scatting were Ella Fitzgerald and Betty Carter. Again, they understood the swing and syncopation needed to scat properly.

As for vocalists. . .Billie Holiday of course got to me right away after Pops and Jack Teagarden who I discovered first. And then there's another two favorites of mine who are instrumentalists and singers like Pops and Jack: Fats Waller and Ray Nance. After these I started getting into real big band singers such as Jimmy Rushing and Joe Williams, and then fell for many women jazz singers such as Helen Merrill, Carmen McRae, Ella, Betty, Jeri Southern, Peggy Lee and a few more. One of my favorite vocal records of the last five years or so is:

Something about the timing of James' phrases and the sincerity that he communicates really gets me. And the trio behind him is excellent, and the recording as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23669 - 08/12/23 at 01:06:29

Jim Tomlinson (with Special Guest Stacey Kent) "Only Trust Your Heart" Candid Records cd

Smooth and easy in good ways.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #23670 - 08/12/23 at 05:25:41

Until today,  I had never heard of Jose James. That's been fixed. One of benefits of online music services, one can find what's been missed

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Sonore opticalRendu | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23671 - 08/12/23 at 15:17:52

I listened to the Tomlinson from last night again and then

Aline Muniz "Onde Tudo Faz Sentido"

A Brazilian singer-songwriter with a lovely voice.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23672 - 08/12/23 at 15:18:48

Yeah, Lon, I have a few of Ella Fitzgerald and two from Betty Carter, which I have a soft spot for.
A few European female vocalists as well I am proud to own.

Billie Holiday, I came to know during a phase where (maybe age 19 or so) where I never wanted to hear anything old. Imagine all my wake up calls to follow.
Nah, screw that, I'll listen to "Revolver" again or some such.

My ex-wife nose ringed me (I mis-married early) into taking her to see the movie, starring Diana Ross playing Billie Holiday at the big screen, callled "Lady Sings The Blues."
I bucked and snorted, and as a tamed bull would do, I went with her, figured it was another lame chick flik, but I came out damn near crying, emotionally moved for days (unusual for me to give half a flip about a movie) and was forever a Billie Holiday fan from that night on.

I also bought the soundtrack double LP the next day, which I still have in great shape. It was out before the movie.  Ex-  was not allowed to touch it, since she handled albums as if they were playing cards and shuffled them about the same.

There was not a lot of Billie Holiday music available back then in music stores, but I bought all I could find. I even Mail ordered a few items on LP.
I was already a sort of budding Diana Ross fan, but her performance was not what triggered me. It was the life struggles, dramatically conceived for a movie script, but I was there from then on.

The only other Vee-Jay I found in this Shorter stack is also quite good.
Thsi one is next.

Wayne_Shorter_Wayning_Moments.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23673 - 08/12/23 at 15:50:41

That's another good Wayne.

Glad that you became a Holiday fan so precipitously. It as a good movie, though not entirely accurate--it hit the emotional notes.

Right now, another unsung vocalist that I really enjoy Babs Gonzales. He was a complete goof. But he could also deliver straight and emotionally as he does often enough on this LP. A reissue of an earlier LP which is very hard to find:

Babs Gonzales "Babs" Chiaroscuro LP

Some of my favorite musicians behind him here!

Drums – Roy Haynes
Leader, Vocals – Babs Gonzales
Piano – Horace Parlan
Acoustic Bass – Buddy Catlett
Tenor Saxophone – Charlie Rouse, Johnny Griffin
Trombone – Melba Liston
Trumpet – Clark Terry
Violin – Ray Nance

Original 1968 LP

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23674 - 08/12/23 at 16:49:57

Thanks, Lon.
I'll have to go to Tidal to hear some from that artist.

Non sequitur: I just returned from the local Farmer's Market with locally grown veggies for the week. Just the typical; nothing special, but also three pounds of BBQ pulled pork shoulder to get the week end off to a good start.
Sequitur: This frees up more time for listening.

All the rest of the Wayne Shorter are Blue Note, except for a few Columbia, obviously newer ones.
But all said, a fantastic stack of LPs from a favorite. Great build for my collection, anyway!
I only had CDs before, no LPs, but now I have thirteen of them.

Wayne_Shorter_The_All_Seeing_Eye.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23675 - 08/12/23 at 17:19:34

Great to start an LP collection. I sold half of mine in the 'eighties and sort of wish I hadn't; I've built back up since I went to a turntable playback as well as digital about fifteen years ago. And now that I have an upgraded DAC and run my phono preamp into the DAC (my phono preamp has an excellent ADC and is configured to send DSD to my DAC via HDMI/I2S) my playback sound quality has improved quite pleasantly.

Listening now to two newly arrived Teagarden LPs from a four LP lot of Jackson I got very cheaply from eBay. First up was a mono LP of "Think Well of Me"--I've had the stereo on LP and cd, but never heard the mono and it's a great mix, and sounded great. Now I'm listening to "Mis'ry and the Blues" one of my favorites--I've never had it on LP only on cd, and it's a great sound stereo copy. Now I need to decide of I want to splurge on a (more expensive) mono copy. I'll keep an eye out I'm sure I'll find one eventually I can't resist.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23676 - 08/12/23 at 20:18:02

Another handful, only this time, a very small stack.

I saw this #11 and hoped for more, but the conglomeration only has #2, #7 and #11. A few more as well, but I suppose I should celebrate that they are all prime numbers. Right?
Mainly this collection shows me how many more are missing.

My copy has a date of '78, so obviously a remake, but they still made decent LPs around that time. Have not played it yet, still cleaning.

I am guessing this is like a "leader" box, because I have a few more including Tatum and others from previous boxes. My buddy's filing system makes no sense, but I suppose that is my failing.

Starting with this next LP.

Art_Tatum_The_Genius_Of_Art_Tatum_Eleven.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23677 - 08/12/23 at 21:03:55

Tatum was facinating. I wonder if those LPs are most of what was in this out of print box set from Denmark:

https://storyvillerecords.com/product/tatum-art-box/

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23678 - 08/12/23 at 22:28:45

Pat Thomas "Desafinado" Blue Moon cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23679 - 08/12/23 at 22:41:32

212 tracks, 12 1/2 hours, 10 CDs and a DVD, some recorded for Voice Of America, mostly live.  $80?

I would buy that because I am an American with a dab of interest in history, let alone a music fan,  if it was not out of stock.

I have no idea, but you have done it again ... given me more to research.
Grin
Thanks, again.

I am going with my own cleaning process. His looks good, setting things up to go into storage, but I know to trust my own.
Besides, I want to play these. NOW!

Just continuing with this Tatum stack. Only seven in this handful.

... and I'm still cleaning some of the Shorter's btw.  If I did not have to listen to every other thing, this culling process would go much faster.
Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23680 - 08/12/23 at 22:52:45

That's an awful lot of Tatum. I have quite a bit of this not all. I like his early work and have all the Chronogical Classics cds under his name and some of the Pablo.

You've hit on a large reason why I became obsessed with jazz and have so many thousand cds: the history of the music and how it entwines with American and then global history, and how it is present in modern popular music.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23681 - 08/12/23 at 23:04:45

Maybe for both of us.
Smiley

Going back to family time, before magic time and some deeper listening comes back around much later in the evening.

By then all my Spincleaning and vac'ing will be done.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23682 - 08/13/23 at 10:31:23

Starting the day off with Jobim interpretations.

Dirindi feat Marzieh Reyhani "Cantar Do Jobim" Jazz N Pulz cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23683 - 08/13/23 at 11:24:03

Gregory Tardy "Serendipity" Impulse cd

Great band!

Bass – Reginald Veal
Drums – Eric Harland
Piano – Mulgrew Miller
Tenor Saxophone – Gregory Tardy
Trumpet – Russell Gunn, Tom Harrell  

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23684 - 08/13/23 at 12:21:04

"Eric LeLann & Jean Marie Ecay Play Jobim" Plus Loin cd

Guitar and trumpet duo interpretations of the master's music.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23685 - 08/13/23 at 15:55:27

I don't often do this but I'm playing this one again immediately. So wonderful for a Jobim nut like me, and the sound is vivid and real seeming.

Don’t often do this but I’m playing this one again. For a Jobim nut this is wonderful. The sound is very vivid and real as well.

“Eric LeLann & Jean Marie Ecay Play Jobim” Plus Loin cd

Guitar and trumpet duo interpretations of the master’s music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23686 - 08/13/23 at 16:21:31

Ivan LIns "Jobiniando" cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23687 - 08/13/23 at 17:41:32

Jon Irabagon "Behind The Sky--featuring Tom Harrell"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23688 - 08/13/23 at 20:49:10

Stack is short, but I'm glad to have the ones I do have.

Thelonious_Monk_Thelonious_Himself.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23689 - 08/14/23 at 12:39:22

I'm sticking to the LP boxes for right now. Found two more Monk, bringing the total up to eight, mostly mono LPs, all from the '60s.
This album is labeled as stereo, Columbia, but possibly contrived. It sounds great anyway.

I have shuffled a few to compress the stacks, but I have eliminated four banker boxes to flattened cartons. With thirty six still to go, this will take a while.
I am sure everyone is tired of hearing about my stack, but most (not all) of these albums (especially the older LPs) are new music being added to my collection.
I'm not positive that I can quit with the blather yet, especially with my jaw dropping every time I bust open a new box.

The last two boxes were from his basement, where even the wifey had forgotten to look, thrice sealed and ready for some long term storage. I had to break the seals!
The lighter ones are LPs, but the really heavy ones have about two hundred CDs in them. No worry with crowding those, but he actually made plywood supports to take up space in each LP box, covered in bubble pack to keep the LPs from leaning.

More Monk ...

Thelonious_Monk_Criss_Cross.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23690 - 08/14/23 at 20:58:52

That's probably true stereo. Those Columbia Monk sound great, mono or stereo.

I'm not posting for a bit. My wife accidentally spilled about a quarter of a teaspoon of water on my MacBook and it did not survive. Have a new one coming tomorrow I think (I hope) to tide me through til this one can perhaps be prepared. In 2023 I am learning about having back ups.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23691 - 08/15/23 at 12:52:58

Is that your attempt at being gracious with your wife and it was more like a quart of water?
I don't own Apple, but that seems like a very small exposure to environmental conditions to take out one of the flagships of modern technology.

I feel for you, anyway. I don't use my phone for much more than a phone, but I flip it around as a camera at times (rarely, but it happens) and I have a couple of distraction games on it that kill time when I have to.

I dropped a bolt on the screen and broke it. I have always been preaching to the kids NEVER lay your phone down screen up!! Bad things happen!

And now I am the one who did so and my screen was broken. Fortunately and as I see it, the saving grace of this incident, was that they both saw it happen. So maybe a lesson carried forward.

The expense and inconvenience of dealing with service to a tech item is completely out of hand.
Mine is going fine again.
Good luck with your repairs.

Finishing off my little Monk marathon with this one. This album was definitely recorded in stereo.

Thelonious_Monk_Big_Band_And_Quartet.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23692 - 08/15/23 at 13:33:30

No, I'm being literal. She knocked over a can of sparkling water that had just drops of water left and it landed on a corner of my keyboard and penetrated. After drying, I lost three or four letters and a few function keys. Previous experience tells me they are gone for good--the keyboard needs replacement.

I know it will take me several weeks to have it repaired, so I ordered a new one, which will arrive tomorrow.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23693 - 08/15/23 at 19:23:34

OK, I gotcha. The weakest point in any technological device, that provision made for a mechanical interface with a human host, is an easy target to take out. Just like the delicate screen on my phone when I hit it with a bolt.
Sad, but true.
Wink

I have all of the Herbie Hancock Blue Notes on CD and quite a few more, but I have not even seen this one in years, let alone on an LP.

I met Hancock once. He was booked for our jazzfest which used to be a bigger thing than it is now. The concert was rained out, but some tents were still up and my son and I were checking out some media, continuing our conversation about how bummed we were to have missed Herbie Hancock.
Suddenly, out of the shadows from the back of this tent emerged a kind spectre who asked, "So who is this little man?" as he walked straight up and shook my son's hand. I was surprised to see him still around after festivities had been canceled. My son was 12 at the time.

He then turned and offered me his hand and said, "Daddyo (he flipping called me Daddyo!), I can't thank you enough for bringing him out like this and bringing him up to appreciate our music."  But, it felt inclusive, though, not like he meant "our" as in a band he runs, but he included me and my son as a part of what he does.
We spent a half hour there (a crowd had begun to gather) and he offered to give my son a CD. My son chose "Empyrean Isles" which I probably play more than any other. Herbie Hancock signed the inner pad and thanked me again. I wanted to pay, but he said that I already had.

It's still a little emotional for me, how he made over my young son, talking to my son like he was a grown up, asking who his favorites were, but it's great to have a safe place to share these tales of a gifted life.

Back to topic ...

This one I have not seen in a while.

Herbie_Hancock_Mwandishi.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23694 - 08/16/23 at 13:31:14

Japanese pressing, reissue stated on the cover. CBS/Sony, still sounds great!

Herbie_Hnacock_Sextant.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23695 - 08/16/23 at 17:11:35

I always had the sense Herbie was a good egg. Glad to hear he is.

Still waiting on a laptop.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23696 - 08/16/23 at 23:04:12

New 17" MacBook Pro up and running. My wife will get the 14" when repaired. Best I've ever had. . . wish I hadn't had to spend the money.

Now playing
Virginia Rodriguez "Sol Negro"

from the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23697 - 08/17/23 at 12:45:19

Yes, Lon, I will always think of him in the light of the Good Egg type of reference. He also has a bit of experience talking to a young mind, engaging them in conversation on their level and not making them feel intimidated.

It was a little funny when Hancock asked my son who his favorite was and my son looked at me, tentatively, not quite knowing how to respond. I knew the answer.
I told him it was OK and that Mr. Hancock knows more people than we do and he won't be mad. My son told him his favorite was Miles Davis.

Hancock knelt down to his eye level and said with a tempered energy and enthusiasm just right for the conversation that Miles was one of his favorites, too and told the boy that he used to work with Miles many years ago.
It was a memorable encounter for me and my kid was impressed, but on a different level from me and for a different set of reasons.
Not everyone meeting youngsters has the ability to draw anything out of them and often the kid gets a token head pat. Not this guy!

He seemed as impressed by my son's interest and knowledge as I was that he was still there and hour after the massive storms had rolled through, canceling everything that day.

Glad you got your new laptop sorted out.

Anyway, my next grab is Ornette Coleman, early work, reissue.

Ornette_Coleman_Something_Else.jpg

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #23698 - 08/17/23 at 12:56:14

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23699 - 08/17/23 at 14:17:30

I love Wishbone Ash!
Smiley
I think I have all they ever did on vinyl from the old days and a few favorites on CD recently updated.

Moving through the stack ...

Ornette_Coleman_Change_Of_The_Century.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 474 475 476 ... 513
Send Topic Print