Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23750 - 08/24/23 at 11:34:22

Marvin Gaye "What's Goin' On" Mobile Fidelity SACD

Masterful. . . brilliant.

Followed by
Andrew Hill "Time Lines" Blue Note cd

A favorite Andrew Hill.

From the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23751 - 08/24/23 at 11:44:31

Walter Smith III "Twio"

Nice session. Redman and McBride appear on a few tracks.

In from Bandcamp

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23752 - 08/24/23 at 15:28:38

Now back to my little shipment of SACDs I received a few days ago.
This one is a hybrid, but from the first note, it sounds great to me.

John Coltrane, A Love Supreme

John_Clotrane_A_Love_Supreme.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23753 - 08/24/23 at 16:45:59

I have three different SACD of ALS--they all sound very good, each a bit different.

Now
Miles Davis "Miles in the Sky" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

I have my OG transport in place again and man I'm happy to have it here again. The one that I bought to use in the interim is barely broken in and there's a subtle difference, an ease and smoothness, using this seasoned one.

We here live for the subtle differences!

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23754 - 08/24/23 at 23:10:33

My collection of SACDs is only twenty eight units. I have no duplicates to judge between various releases.

There are a few that I have on multiple LPs and CDs and on SACD, so the comparisons among them are often revealing.

Next is Ornette Coleman, The Shape Of Jazz To Come.

I borrowed the image from Discogs, but my disc has some verbiage identifying it as SACD Remaster and some Japanese characters along the bottom and the back.

I just can't justify setting up my photographic copy rig just to talk about a new music find. The cell does not work well up close, so no go.

Back when I still had a civilian concession photographic studio on Fort Harrison before it closed down, I had a bedroom dedicated to copying for daily use with the group pics (I shot lith film to add names, ranks, placement in the photo to every group image) I made and sold plus large images for restoration on a large format 8x10 camera for a project for General Greer (Fort Commandant) who had commissioned me to do, keeping all of the fort's history alive.

The fort was basically a college for advancement up through the ranks for many military specialties. I took a group pic of every class for over four years. Probably averaged twelve classes per week. Some were in a controlled space, but many were on location in the fields, during training. I did some of my best work ever as a photographer during those times.

Over nine hundred images from sixty five army buildings I copied and restored for the fort as it was closing. I had a year to finish and General Greer was very pleased with my restorations of valuable old WW pics representing the history of the fort.

I no longer have a copy room. Our second bedroom was my darkroom where I also ran a large format enlarger and two paper processing units for all the pics I sold.
My listening room was my living room back then.
No kids, yet.

So, I borrow pics from the net, mostly.

Ornette_Coleman_The_Shape_Of_Jazz_To_Come.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23755 - 08/24/23 at 23:39:14

That's a great album. I really like the Grafton (plastic) saxophone that Coleman used. An interesting concept to manufacture a cheap instrument with cheap replacement parts. It never really became a big brand, but an interesting instrument.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23756 - 08/24/23 at 23:54:33

Actually, it was only the body that was cheap. All the mechanisms, keys, springs, screws, adjustments were the same as any other saxophone.
Had to be.

But you're right. He got some good sounds out of it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23757 - 08/25/23 at 00:20:49

Yes, you're right, I thought they had moved to plastic pieces but no.

Parker used one to good effect too, but he was really only allowed (for contractual reasons) to play it outside the US.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23758 - 08/25/23 at 14:12:21

Just got this yesterday, suggested from one of your spins, Lon.
Now I have the CD.

Going back to my massive stack of stuff after this play. I've neglected the stack all week.

Vittor_Santos_Renewed_Impressions.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23759 - 08/25/23 at 16:55:05

Lordy Gods!!  
The next box I opened has twenty seven Charlie Parker LPs in it to start. Shuffling through the rest was many Lionel Hampton.
Mentioned how I love my vibraphone a bit ago.

But first, some Bird. Parker died a few months before I was even born, so I'll be exploring some ancient music this week. Most of the albums, I have never even seen before.
I don't think there are any original releases, but '70s re-issues and a few compilation albums. All have big name labels, though, so might be some decent sounding LPs.
What a deal.
"You can have them if you'll take them. I doubt you'll find much in there. Everyone has already picked through them and taken out the best,"  I was told by June, my buddy's widow.

I still think the ones before me took out the bubblegum and left me the gold.
This will be a fun week. Lots of Bird I've never heard.

Crap pic, but the only one Discogs has to steal. Gillespie makes a showing here, also.

Stan_Kenton_And_Charlie_Parker_Kenton_and_Bird_001.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23760 - 08/25/23 at 21:31:06

Glad you got that cd and wholey moley that's a lot of Bird!

i'll not be listening really at all for a spell. We were at the tail end of a tornado (first in the area in over 60 years) and power is down, in fact my power line to the house was ripped off. The Illuminating Company is telling me not to expect power to be reinstated until 8/30 at the earliest. Sigh. This is the year for mishaps for me, even though some other things are going very well.

Have fun and happy listening folks! I will check in ever other day or so from the Walmart parking lot using their wifi!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23761 - 08/25/23 at 21:55:14

Sorry to read about your power loss, and am hoping that you get power back as soon as possible.  Sending good thoughts your way for you and your family.

Take care of yourself.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #23762 - 08/25/23 at 23:42:53

I'm a weather nerd, especially storms and radar. I saw that one come across Lake Erie and the red part was massive. Then it started growing a leg from Erie to Pittsburgh. An hour after the leg went past we got walloped with rain and the craziest lightning, it was on strobe effect. My wife's co worker just east of Cleveland is on generator power and no timetable to get power back. Hang in there!

Technics 1210G, Phasemation PP-500, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, UFO25, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #23763 - 08/26/23 at 09:29:45

Yikes Lon. Sorry to hear about the tornado and your loss of power. Sometimes life isn't easy, but glad you and your wife are safe. Please be safe and take care.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #23764 - 08/26/23 at 11:00:52

Early this spring we had a tornado roll thru our little town (400 souls).

Caused over $30,000 damage to my house and autos.  Every home in town had to have their roofs replaced and many autos damaged.  Thank God for excellent home-owners insurance in my case.  House and cars are now all fixed.

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23765 - 08/26/23 at 12:59:23

That's terrible, Lon. Five or six days to get the juice back on? Wow!

We were lucky the last time a tornado maker rolled through. The worst of it missed us by half a county.
It seems like any time there is a rough weather situation in our vicinity, it all heads straight for Kokomo.
Our little burg is theoretically protected by a large bend in the river just north of town and surrounding the town, which disrupts the updraft to the cumulonimbus cloud structures trying to form.

Good luck, Lon. I hope they surprise you and get it going soon!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23766 - 08/26/23 at 13:06:20

This is one of the Charlie Parker albums that intrigued me. It was a box and a bit heavy so I assumed it was a multidisc collection, as even the name implies. But there is also a fairly thick booklet (110 pages) which is always very cool to have.

Charlie Parker On Verve.

There are ten LPs in this collection, which I counted as one at first, but the book, I could not put down!
It includes some back story about every concert and every LP.
As usual, I am amazed at the recording quality during this span of time.
I've only spun two discs in this collection so far, but I reread the blurbs about each track as I played them.

Charlie_Parker_On_Verve.jpg

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23767 - 08/26/23 at 13:06:30

Time for a Victrola Lon?

We had to go around the house and straighten a few pictures that got skewed after the storm of lightening. Got a total of 1.8" of rain. .9" in less than an hour on the second round.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23768 - 08/26/23 at 15:13:08

Yes, no generator in our home and we're waiting it out. (I'm back using Walmart's wifi in the parking lot). Last night the illuminating company came and did a repair at the power pole in hte wooded lot below us and reconnected all our equipment on the wall and refitted the power line. (Right after another Illuminating Company person told me that I would have to hire an electrician to do this, as we did the last time.) Now it's just waiting it out til the power returns.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23769 - 08/27/23 at 20:19:05

A whole house generator is one of the things on my short list.
We just dropped $3.5K on a water purification system, but the old one was not doing much. Now we're good for a long time with good water in the house.
I can actually drink our tap water now. I get fresh, delicious water from our 'fridge door, FFS. Never before.
Never would have said so in Indiana before this upgrade.

So many things before ZROCK, ZTPRE, proper DAC or other such enjoyable items. Pure water is large, though!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23770 - 08/27/23 at 20:26:41

I've only listened to a few of the Charlie Parker albums, about twelve TBH.
As Lon mentioned, that's a lot of Bird, but also there are many duplicate releases within the collections and the compilation remakes from the '70s and '80s.

I have now become enticed by the mass of Lionel Hampton LPs. This collection spans at least two boxes and I have not tried to count, because I am still finding more. Again, collections and re-issues galore.

Spinning a few Hampton albums for the evening. Anything that looks original gets the early spins.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23771 - 08/28/23 at 10:17:41

For 18 years we had a back up generator and only really used it once in an extended outage of a day and half. Use to run a 10/3 WG SO cable from the motohome to a manual switch panel in the house. Most power outages lasted only a few hours and running the cable was not needed.
The motorhome was sold and a fifth wheel trailer purchased in anticipation of securing a permanent spot at a local KOA. A replacement generator is on my short list.
Not spinning to much lately but gathering a lot of material for this winter's session Wink

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23772 - 08/28/23 at 13:57:46

JBz, your account (almost) makes me want to rethink having a generator.
I've not had a problem here. All utilities for about a half mile radius are underground. But a little further out are the BIG lines that a testy winter ice storm can challenge. That affects large portions of the entire state if one of those is compromised.

One thing I have not shared here (I'll probably lose some friends just from my being open and honest - but born in west Texas, raised in south Texas, most could have figured this out, already) is that I am a successful and avid hunter of game and I keep two freezers going in the garage partially full of meat, deer and feral hog mostly.
Losing power for a few of days could spell disaster for my manly ideas on providing food for my family.

I do have a small 4KW gasoline burner that theoretically could power both freezers and some lighting inside, but I have never had to test that backup plan. It actually lives across town in a storage building with my hot rod Chevelle, so not the best plan, really.

To me, having a small box in the corner of the back yard with a battery powered safety system, running on natural gas when needed, seems more permanent and far less worrisome.
That system does not offer a small signup fee, though, like the little gasoline genny does.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23773 - 08/28/23 at 14:05:17

Going with some Chris Botti for now.

Chris Botti, Night Sessions

Chris_Botti_Night_Sessions.jpg

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #23774 - 08/28/23 at 17:22:37

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: 08/24/23 at 15:39:14

...I really like the Grafton (plastic) saxophone that Coleman used. An interesting concept to manufacture a cheap instrument with cheap replacement parts. It never really became a big brand, but an interesting instrument.

There is a small cottage industry making (cheap) plastic instruments. Typically to practice on when one is traveling and doesn't want to schlep an "A" horn around. My brother has a plastic trombone (P-bone) that he has been taking camping for years, until he lost it on a river rafting trip recently. I often tell him the P-bone sounds better than any of his Bachs. FYI/FWIW.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #23775 - 08/28/23 at 18:27:14

It seemed like an appropriate spin without Lon around Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Sonore opticalRendu | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23776 - 08/29/23 at 12:07:19

DD,
We suffer micro bursts here at the foothills of the western Appalachians. Prior to the power rig from the motorhome we suffered a few long electrical outages. One of those snapped off the top of a 40 foot blue spruce that took out all(phone, cable, and AC) utilities from the pole. Like Lon, all the service providers came and reconnected all including rehanging my electrical service cable that was ripped from the side of the house. Now, all the 20 or so trees are gone from the property so no worries there. A gas burner gen will be acquired and set in a handy place at home.
It's has been a dozen or so years since I hunted white tail or even shot any guns(except New Years). Just don't have the heart for it anymore. Loved when the kids were growing up providing lean meat after a successful hunt. Made me feel somewhat self sufficient. Now, it is wild caught salmon, chicken, nuts, seeds and non gluten grains that mostly make it to the table. I still enjoy one of those Texas style steaks every so often and a sizzling burger fresh off the grill.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23777 - 08/30/23 at 10:08:43

Warming up the stereo after five days cold. This is a nice one I haven't played in a while.

Etta James "Mystery Lady: Songs of Billie Holiday"

So good to be listening again!

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23778 - 08/30/23 at 10:39:12

Duke Ellington "Private Collection Vol 2 – Dance Concerts – California 1958"

Wow. To have been at one of these concerts!

Some great Ray Nance in particular.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23779 - 08/30/23 at 13:16:35

Rudy Royston "303" cd

Bass – Mimi Jones, Yasushi Nakamura (2)
Drums, Percussion, Producer– Rudy Royston
Guitar – Nir Felder
Piano – Sam Harris  
Saxophone – Jon Irabagon
Trumpet – Nadja Noordhuis

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23780 - 08/30/23 at 14:17:23

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23781 - 08/30/23 at 16:15:32

Camila Benson "Desafinado--Songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim II"

Nice atmospheric recording, and Ms Benson can sing and play. A good batch of Jobim interpretations.

In from Dusty Groove

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23782 - 08/30/23 at 17:04:40

Lee Morgan "Complete Live at the Lighthouse" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD box set. Disc 3

I needed some bass clarinet in my day!

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23783 - 08/31/23 at 09:38:45

Starting the day off with a very nice recording of Harold Mabern leading a great band through Coltrane compositions.

Harold Mabern "Mabern Plays Coltrane"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23784 - 08/31/23 at 11:38:40

Sun Ra in Egypt 1971, cd 2. Wild stuff. Mastering on this set is very good, getting the best out of the material.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23785 - 08/31/23 at 13:44:53

Revisiting this one. I love it.

Bob Dylan "Rough and Rowdy Ways" Sony Japan, disc 1

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23786 - 08/31/23 at 14:40:29

Coming back to this one, mainly because I've become quite drawn to the playing of Joel Ross and Mark Turner.

Jason Palmer "The Concert: 12 Musings for Isabella"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23787 - 08/31/23 at 16:06:13

Miles Davis "Water Babies" Columbia cd (from "The Complete Columbia Album Collection" box set.)

Trying a Mullard 12AU7 in the input position of the SEWE300B.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23788 - 08/31/23 at 16:34:53

Hey, Lon!  Good to see things have gotten back to normal for you.

That Harold Mabern is a streamer for me, but it is a very nice  listen.
I can find nothing to keep me from finding that and ordering it.
Thanks.

I like that Jason Palmer, too. I'll have to BOLO that one as well. New to me.

His horn has the same patina as most of the old hosses I grew up around. I mean brass has a substantial expansion response to temperature changes and trying to keep a lacquer finish on brass is tiresome, most especially in the subtropics.

More importantly, once all the lacquer has flecked off and is gone, the tone of the instrument takes on a new flavor. One that is more desirable to many.
His horn has the patina of someone who just wipes it down after each play and relishes in the raw brass of the instrument as it was actually made.
Lacquer is new; horns are not.
Epoxy can adhere more consistently, but being a thicker coating to the brass, epoxy also colors and darkens the tone more severely.
Dark can be good, but pure timber is often more desired.

I already like his choice of horn.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23789 - 08/31/23 at 17:20:33

Yes, pretty normal. Listening and tube-rolling.

The albums Mabern made in the last five years or so of his life are all interesting.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23790 - 08/31/23 at 17:39:46

Thanks again. I have some research to do.

Smiley

For the next phase, I have spent two days cleaning, culling, sorting and lining up all the original or the fresh re-issue Lionel Hampton selections.
This is not small.

I can't quit on Hampton just yet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23791 - 08/31/23 at 17:45:57

Same Old DD wrote on 08/31/23 at 16:34:53:
Hey, Lon!  Good to see things have gotten back to normal for you.

That Harold Mabern is a streamer for me, but it is a very nice  listen.
I can find nothing to keep me from finding that and ordering it.
Thanks.

I like that Jason Palmer, too. I'll have to BOLO that one as well. New to me.

His horn has the same patina as most of the old hosses I grew up around. I mean brass has a substantial expansion response to temperature changes and trying to keep a lacquer finish on brass is tiresome, most especially in the subtropics.

More importantly, once all the lacquer has flecked off and is gone, the tone of the instrument takes on a new flavor. One that is more desirable to many.
His horn has the patina of someone who just wipes it down after each play and relishes in the raw brass of the instrument as it was actually made.
Lacquer is new; horns are not.
Epoxy can adhere more consistently, but being a thicker coating to the brass, epoxy also colors and darkens the tone more severely.
Dark can be good, but pure timber is often more desired.

I already like his choice of horn.

Yes. . . my best friend and one of my brothers are trumpeters. They too have let the patina mature and the finish dissipate. My friend recently bought an old cornet, at least 70 years old, that is becoming his favorite horn.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23792 - 08/31/23 at 19:38:45

I'll bet your friend's cornet is a wonderful treasure from the past!

I have lived through some short history of wind instruments, my father being who he was and showing me how things go beginning as a small kid for me. He was alive during WWII and saw all this happen.

In light of the timeline you have described, it won't matter much the brand name of the cornet. It is truly a well made instrument.

In some ways, horn companies of those times were a lot like later stringed instrument manufacturers in that everyone knew what the others were doing and always wanted to better any movement forward by another.

A bit later on, you could not possibly know much about Leo Fender without wondering what Les Paul or Gibson, Epiphone was doing today or what CF Martin was changing and why.

King, Conn, Bach, Reynolds, White all made fine instruments all those years ago.
WWII kind of made using brass for something as trivial and fun as musical instruments a No Go.

Did you know that Conn switched all their machines to make electric compasses and altimeters for airplanes at the beginning of spring '42? They got right on it! They were chosen first because of their enormous stockpiles of brass alloys on hand.

Not many instruments were made in the early '40s, but once it was over, the boom was almost overwhelming, not just brass, either. Import of fabulous reeds from France and Italy, along with the engineering from recently freed peoples across Europe was the build up of a great time in the history of all wind instruments.

There are many books, but some I kept, mainly because of how closely the history actually storied my father's life. But, as you know, everyone played a part.

Still spinning a pile of Hampton, for now. In fact, the one that was playing while I was nostalgiating (if only that was a word); that one gets a re-start.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23793 - 09/01/23 at 01:30:33

Donald Byrd "I'm Tryin' to Get Home" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

This Byrd session doesn't get much love but I dig it. The voices remind me of church in Philadelphia when I was a lad.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #23794 - 09/01/23 at 04:32:23

Not vinyl but figured I’d share, The latest digital remaster of Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s get it on” and it sounded sublime!  I only finished the first Disc tonight and plan to savor the entire set for the next couple of days.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23795 - 09/01/23 at 16:45:35

Marquis Hill "The Way We Play"

Perhaps a few more vocals than I'd ultimately like but they are good vocals. Lots of bass!

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23796 - 09/01/23 at 19:24:26

One of my very favorite Jobim discs, songs culled from the "Songbook" series from Brazil, featuring Tom singing songs by other composers with his great late career musical companions, in excellent sound.

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Minha Alma Canta"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23797 - 09/02/23 at 09:33:37

It's interesting how meaty the system sounds until it really warms up.

I'm listening to this one again after a spell. I always want this one to be DIFFERENT than it is. I have been learning to accept it for what it IS and am winning over the years.

"The Gil Evans Orchestra Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix" Japan cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23798 - 09/02/23 at 10:29:28

"The Pablo All Star Jam" Pablo/OJC cd

This is a really solid jam session with great players listening to each other.

Clark Terry, Ronnie Scott, Milt Jackson, Jim Hall, Oscar Peterson, NHOP, Bobby Durham

Kudos to the recording engineers.

Clark Terry, Ronnie Scott, Milt Jackson, Jim Hall, Oscar Peterson,, NHOP, Bobby Durham

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23799 - 09/02/23 at 11:16:22

Another Pablo cd, Count Basie and his Orchestra "Fancy Pants"

Pablo Records captured the Basie Orchestra beautifully, giving them a "modern" sound but still maintaining that awesome swing and feel.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 476 477 478 ... 513
Send Topic Print