Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1879426 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #23950 - 09/20/23 at 15:14:22

I really like it, too.

This one is a reissue from '67, stereo.
The sound is much better on this album than on that 10" LP.

Hank_Mobley_Hank_Mobley_And_His_All_Stars__tiny.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23951 - 09/20/23 at 15:48:17

Yes, the date with Milt! I think that the original was mono only, that may be 'electronically re-channelled' . . . can still sound good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23952 - 09/20/23 at 16:25:17

Betty Carter "It's not About the Melody" Verve cd

Bass – Ariel J. Roland, Christian McBride, Walter Booker  
Drums – Clarence Penn, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Lewis Nash
Piano – Cyrus Chestnut, John Hicks, Mulgrew Miller
Tenor Saxophone – Craig Handy
Vocals – Betty Carter

I needed to hear some Betty.

From the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23953 - 09/21/23 at 09:10:39

Cassandra Wilson "Live" Winter & Winter cd

Been quite a while since this was last spun, the system has improved since then. A great listen this morning.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23954 - 09/21/23 at 10:24:01

Duke Ellington "The Great Paris Concert" Atlantic 2 cd set

A great Ellington concert . . . sound is very good.

If I had a time machine this would be a good destination for an evening out.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23955 - 09/21/23 at 14:21:11

I had to play the Kenton albums. Both are re-issues from '50s, but nothing special, not even desirable, it seems.

This one is a re-do from another 10" original LP. The sound is a notch past "OK" which is high praise for a sixty eight year old LP of any sort.

Stan Kenton's Milestones

Stan_Kenton_Stan_Kentons_Milestones__tiny.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23956 - 09/21/23 at 14:41:27

I have two big cd box sets from Mosaic Records and it's a lot. There are gems in there, and I confess I really like the sound of Capitol Records of the 'forties and 'fifties.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23957 - 09/21/23 at 16:03:31

I am falling for this music. I would love to have those Mosaic collections!!
Yep, there's a lot here.

The only other Kenton work I own is a 2 CD release, pre 2K, of what sounds like a high school mixtape compilation from various drunken minds. No theme.

Another reissue from 1960. A Latin flavor sprinkled through, evidenced by the title.

Stan Kenton And His Orchestra,  Viva Kenton

Stan_Kenton_And_His_Orchestra_Viva_Kenton___tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23958 - 09/21/23 at 16:14:27

I keep going farther back in time with original recording dates and not really losing much quality, except for the tape noise that shows sometimes.

I try to listen around the noise but it hinders some of my relax ability at times. As an old live sound guy, I tend to want to jump up and fix something. Something untouchable, usually.
There is no sitting and listening when it is all happening live.

Still, there is nowhere else to find some of this music without some modern processing that would take away even "more of the music,"  but in a different way.

Anyway, those are my two Kenton albums in this stack. The rest of the carton is mostly individuals who appeared in The Jazz Messengers from time to time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23959 - 09/21/23 at 16:21:01

Well, EMI/Capitol did decent jobs with the cd reissues of these Kenton titles, not using much if any noise-reduction and mastering without crazy EQ changes. And the Mosaic sets are possibly the best yet in that regard.

Kenton was sort of all over the map but almost always "bombastic" in a way that wearies one over time (or me perhaps). He had some great soloists, and his band being one of the few West Coast big bands that "made it" was a training ground for so many future jazz heavy-weights. And then there's the lovely June Christy, one of the most unique "voices" in her time, with a rootsy sound of her own.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23960 - 09/21/23 at 16:24:54

I would agree, just from the few Mosaics from various other artists that I do own.

Smiley

Maybe it's that "all over the map" thing that annoys me about the '90s era double CD Stan Kenton collection I have.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23961 - 09/21/23 at 16:32:21

That could be. It's one thing to shift your focus from tour to tour or LP to LP but have that compiled with shifts from track to track . . . that could be distressing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23962 - 09/21/23 at 17:07:40

Jure Pukl "Broken Circles" Whirlwind cd

I bought this originally because Joel Ross is on board. Glad I did.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23963 - 09/21/23 at 18:10:07

Ron Carter "Foursight: The Complete Stockholm Tapes" disc 2

Renee Rosnes shines here.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23964 - 09/21/23 at 18:46:03

Nice. I ordered two Joel Ross CDs the other day. I did some streaming.  Not on your recommendation, but from your willing info sharing. New to me, so this is how I find out for myself.
I have to look and see, my way.

I'm not going to play all sixty something of these LPs in this carton of "Jazz Messengers" players. Some I have on CD and am familiar, but most I have never heard. I'm saving them for later.

My current (urgent) goal is to shorten this stack. Problem is that my keep stack is ten times larger than my donate stack.

An example of a keeper ...

From everything I can use to identify this album, it is valuable dollarwise to the LP community, even being a remake of an earlier pressing.
Keep pile!

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers

Art_Blakey_Art_Blakey_And_The_Jazz_Messengers___tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23965 - 09/21/23 at 18:59:28

I have already given away two cartons of LPs so far. I knew a guy who might like these softer jazz and vocal albums and he took them all, told me to come back with more.
I said I would try.

But, I started with over forty cartons. Two is not even a dent, yet.
And this culling process is taking way more time than I expected.
I keep finding treasure.

Maybe I need to get me some draw mule blinders and steel up my gut a bit.
Undecided

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23966 - 09/21/23 at 19:02:35

One of the most reissued on LP or cd of the Blue Note titles. This outfit musically directed by Benny Golson is one of the breakthrough albums for Blakey and there are a few live recordings from Europe that show that this edition of the Messengers brought Blakey fame and bookings. Replacing Golson with Shorter and leaning on Bobby Timmons compositions kept the flame burning into the early sixties.

I'm liking this Ron Carter set . . . is it bad to say that I like Ron's contributions perhaps least here? I'm glad he is keeping keeping on but. . .sometimes his lines and intonation fall a little flat.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23967 - 09/21/23 at 21:46:35

I don't think it's bad to notice, but who is going to be the one to tell Ron Carter that he's lost a step?

Cry

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23968 - 09/21/23 at 22:10:59

Hah! It won't be me.

Now playing

Harish Raghavan "Calls for Action"

The opening of this cd shakes a few things in my listening room. . . .

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23969 - 09/22/23 at 09:51:24

Orrin Evans "Liberation Blues" Smoke Sessions cd

This is my first Orrin Evans cd. Won't be my last.

In from eBay

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23970 - 09/22/23 at 11:03:36

The Dutch Jazz Orchestra "Rediscovered Music of Mary Lou Williams--The Lady who Swings the Band"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23971 - 09/22/23 at 19:12:39

Chico Buarque Songbook, Vol. 6

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23972 - 09/23/23 at 11:18:58

Tom Harrell "Labyrinth" RCA Victor cd

My best friend and avant-garde trumpeter has long been a Harrell fan and I'm finally "getting" him as I hadn't before.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23973 - 09/23/23 at 12:18:57

"Legendary Lee Wiley: Collector's Item 1931-55 " Tono cd

Some great Lee Wiley here in great remastering.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23974 - 09/23/23 at 16:58:02

I did not know that Blue Note 4003 was one of the most highly reissued of the series.

There's so much more here!
I'm playing this next one because it has a naked woman on the cover. There, honesty wins the day.
But it is also a different vibe. I'm going for a second dip here, after enjoying it last night, late.

It's a reissue from '73. Nothing special.

Art_Blakey_And_The_Jazz_Messengers_Plus_Sabu_CuBop___tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23975 - 09/23/23 at 17:52:11

I have that on Japanese cd with the original, less risque by far, cover.

I changed the front footers on my speakers and added another Shunyata Research "Defender" to the system that I traded a Furutech similar thing for with another audiophile, and I like the results.

I revisited this one to check it out, I play this one a lot, I like the front line of Palmer, Ross and Turner a lot.

Then on to this Landmark cd from Bobby Hutcherson, "Mirage."

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #23976 - 09/23/23 at 19:07:45

Had to listen to this after Mrs. CA and I got back from Carmel.

joe.jpg

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23977 - 09/23/23 at 20:55:45

Lon, I've done the streaming thing a bit and that Jason Palmer is toward the top of my list. Not that I ever "need" to buy any more music, but I just like to do so.

Playing A Night In Tunisia, by Jazz Messengers, a mono reissue.

...  and I'm probably going to tap out of this carton for a while.  There's a lot!

EDIT:  I just counted. There are seventy eight LPs in this carton and all are either well known Jazz Messengers or Messengers folk in solo or as leaders on their own albums. I've cleaned prepped and played fourteen albums, so far.
Some I had not heard of, but wow!

I have bought a few books over the ages on jazz history and I found a listing of all the artists who have "served" as Messengers over the early time.

"The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz"  and Better World Books had a used copy once for the price of a cup of coffee at the gas station. Now this one peters out in some ways. But just to see all the "at the time" up and coming stars is amazing.

It's as you said, this group was a spring board for many careers.

Not sure if this small collection of books is much of a history lesson, but I have relished them at times.
I don't often refer to books for music appreciation, except for classical, but there is just so much to work with here.

My education is just beginning, it seems.

Art_Blakeys_Jazz_Messengers_A_Night_In_Tunisia___tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23978 - 09/23/23 at 22:24:42

I have Jason's newest one coming to me from Japan in a week or so. I like this one so much because of Joel Ross.

Right now

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette "Somewhere" ECM cd

Man. . . this trio. . . I can never get enough.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23979 - 09/23/23 at 23:30:40

Noam Weisenberg "Roads Diverge" Brooklyn Jazz Underground Records cd

Noam Wiesenberg - Bass
Philip Dizack - Trumpet
Immanuel Wilkins - Alto Sax & Clarinet
Shai Maestro - Piano & Fender Rhodes
Kush Abadey - Drums

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23980 - 09/24/23 at 10:24:01

A mellow warm start to a cool fall morning.

Vinicius Cantuária "Silva" Hannibal cd

Cello – Hugo Vargas Pilger
Keyboards, Sampler, Flugelhorn – Jun Miyake
Percussion – Chacal, Cidinho
Trumpet – Michael Leonhart
Viola – Marie-Christine Springuel
Violin – Bernardo Bessler, Michel Bessler
Voice, Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Loops, Drums, Cymbal, Percussion, Producer, Keyboards – Vinicius Cantuária

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23981 - 09/24/23 at 11:07:32

Gene Jackson Trio Nu Yorx "Power of Love" Whirlwind cd

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wC55yZl0NcE/maxresdefault.jpg

In from bandcamp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23982 - 09/24/23 at 12:16:52

Walter Smith III "Return to Casual" Blue Note cd

Quite a Quintet.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23983 - 09/24/23 at 13:15:34

Checking to see how the system has evolved lately, and always enjoy this Jobim release. Everything is sounding wonderful--I added another Shunyata Defender, I rolled OLD Amperex 6085 tubes with pinched waists into the driver positions of the SEWE300B (with converter bases) and Amperex pinch waist 7062 in the input position and also in the ZROCK2. (I like tall signal tubes and I cannot lie!) I also replaced the front VooDoo Cable IsoPods under my HR-1 with Herbie's Audio Iso-Cups with green moss balls, and the Acme fuse is settling in nicely. The four IsoPods removed from the HR-1 allowed me to go from three under each of these components to four: PS Audio Transport and DAC, ZTPRE and SEWE300B.

Excellent sound--smooth in the nicest way and dynamic!

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Stone Flower" CTI Legacy cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23984 - 09/24/23 at 17:09:06

Tom Lellis "Southern Exposure" Adventure Music cd.

A Sunday sort of feeling. . . getting one more hour in of listening before . . .the Browns game takes over the household.

I bought this following my rule "consider buying any release you see at a good price on Adventure Music." Glad I followed the rule. I also have a cd of Lellis with the Metropole Orchestra.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23985 - 09/24/23 at 22:47:10

Hot off the press from Acoustic Sounds.  The Eddie Higgins Trio “Dear Old Stockholm” on Vinyl from Venus Records with the OBI.  One of both me and my wife’s favorite albums from him.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23986 - 09/24/23 at 22:56:07

I bet that is good. At least the cover is better than most Venus ones--I don't really dig their artistic style for covers.

Right now
Planet D Nonet "We Travel the Spaceways: The Music of Sun Ra" 2 cd set, disc 1

Nice, not so offbeat, live recorded interpretations.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #23987 - 09/24/23 at 23:22:58

Yes it’s really good!!  Enjoying it with newly added 1950’s RCA 6SN7 smoked glass tube.  Still breaking in…but I’m enjoying the sound with Vinyl albums.  It’s more warm and euphoric than the stock Decware red tipped input tube.  Little slower and not as detailed, but more natural.  Need more time to evaluate it and it needs more burn in.  And I agree…their album covers are not the greatest.  Just ordered a few more from Eddie Higgins…..so this Friday I will be patiently waiting.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23988 - 09/25/23 at 10:16:38

1950s smoked glass RCA 6SN7 are wonderful tubes. They so outshone Cryotone 6SN7 that it makes me question the whole Cryotone thing for my system.
I can certainly see why your enjoy them.

I'm listening to this to open up the morning.

Bill Fisell "Four" Blue Note cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23989 - 09/25/23 at 11:08:11

I'm so glad I splurged on this big blue box. . . I keep finding joy in listening to a disc. Now disc 9.

Bob Dylan "1965-1966: The Cutting Edge, The Bootleg Series Vol. 12--Collector's Edition" Columbia 18 cd box set

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23990 - 09/25/23 at 12:51:02

As usual I got sucked into the development of the amazing song "Visions of Johanna" . . . so I had to move on to disc 10 for the conclusion.

AMAZING session.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23991 - 09/25/23 at 14:33:51

A necessary break from the stack this past weekend. Fall is beginning to show. Sunny and chilly still, but I've some work to do outside.

I found this Swedish group a while back and they have continued to grow on me.

Esbjörn Svensson Trio, "Esbjörn Svensson Trio Plays Monk"

Esbjrn_Svensson_Trio__Plays_Monk____tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23992 - 09/25/23 at 19:42:19

Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain" Columbia Reel-to-reel via High Density Tape Tranfer cdr

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23993 - 09/25/23 at 20:23:32

Joel Ross "Where Are You?" Blue Note cd

An excellent album; I love when Joel and Immanuel are together.

Alto Saxophone– Immanuel Wilkins
Bass – Kanoa Mendenhall
Drums – Jeremy Dutton
Harp – Brandee Younger (5 tracks)
Piano – Jeremy Corren
Producer – Walter Smith III
Vibraphone, Producer – Joel Ross

From the shelves

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #23994 - 09/26/23 at 00:58:04

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23995 - 09/26/23 at 01:12:12

Planet D Nonet “We Travel the Spaceways: The Music of Sun Ra” 2 cd set, disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23996 - 09/26/23 at 09:50:53

Walter Smith III and Matt Stephens "In Common" Whirlwind cd

A modern super group session.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23997 - 09/26/23 at 10:30:46

Carmen Sandim "Mini Brazilian Beasts" Octave Records SACD

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23998 - 09/26/23 at 11:42:36

Miles Davis "In A Silent Way" Sony LP facsimile cd SRCS 9117

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23999 - 09/26/23 at 19:29:23

Francy Boland & The Orchestra "Blue Flame / Red Hot / White Heat" MPS 2 cd set, disc 2 then disc 1

I was thinking I'd play some Ellington and saw this and played these two discs first instead. Not a bad choice or dissimilar choice. . . Boland was very influenced by Ellington and Basie, and both are referenced here in arranging style. Soloists are mainly artists that are featured in various configurations of The Clarke Boland Big Band, or small groups drawn from the Big Band. Really good music and sound!

From the shelves

Followed by

Orin Evans "The Magic of Now" Smoke Sessions cd

Immanuel Wilkins! I love his playing.

In from eBay

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 480 481 482 ... 513
Send Topic Print