"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #24100 - 10/07/23 at 09:59:02

from the shelves

Joe Lovano & Dave Douglas Sound Prints "Other Worlds"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24101 - 10/07/23 at 10:35:44

The Don Rendel Ian Carr Quintet "Change Is"

From the shelves

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24102 - 10/07/23 at 14:03:33

I love that pic with Lovano and company. The little gal with the bass bigger than she is reminds me of my cousin. My cousin wasn't very old when she stopped trying to ride the thing and began learning to play it.

Not much listening for me today. It's quite noisy outside.

City has been working this week to re-do unlevel sidewalk sections, widen and re-curve handicap acces to sidewalks, reset drain grids in new concrete and now they are resurfacing the streets.
It needs to be done. These patched up streets won't fare well after another winter of snow plows.
I am amazed at how quiet the machine that scrapes off the old asphalt runs. Some of those machines shake the ground, but not this one and it still gets the job done.

I still intend to preview some of the albums in the stack with which I am unfamiliar.
Kind of cool getting the old Technics TT going again. I can sit near the stack in the garage, close to my mono rig and continue culling.
Culling is not going well. I want to keep nine out of ten albums or more.

Most of the personell from the Miles Davis army, I have never heard any but their work as a Davis band member. I have very liitle experience with any of the solo work many have released. I can't just not explore them!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24103 - 10/07/23 at 16:09:54

That bassist, Linda May Han Oh, is a master player. *

I'm not as familiar with her electric work as on the contrabass violin. I've heard a few of her leader dates playing her music and don't really connect with them BUT as a sidewoman she is awesome! Lovano and Douglas and many others work with her when they can.

Interesting about the street work on your end as my wife has spent half a year at trustee meetings and in email confrontation with the trustees to get our road repaved--there has been nothing but some pot hole filling for 20 plus years, and not even pot hole filling for nearly 10 and it's really a hazard, especially for walkers, and there are a handful of elderly couples that walk it, some daily. They kept telling us that there was no money in the budget and we were on the schedule for 2025. . . well that changed finally and the last week of last month it was resurfaced. A stopgap that will last five years maybe but at least it's smooth and safe now.

After spinning a classical SACD I am on to an Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie disc on Pablo.

"Ella and Basie--A Perfect Match" Pablo cd.

A few decades ago I thought both Ella and Basie at this time of their lives was sort of skippable. I was so wrong. They both (well the woman, the man AND the Orchestra) are so powerful and expressive in the final decade. This is a nice live one in excellent sound.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24104 - 10/07/23 at 16:28:09

*Check out this impressive mini bio:

Linda May Han Oh
Profile:      
Bassist.

Born in Malaysia, raised in, Perth, Western Australia, Linda started classical piano at age four and took up clarinet at eleven and bassoon at thirteen.

At fifteen, Linda dabbled on electric bass playing jazz in the high-school and community big-bands while playing a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers.

In 2002 she was accepted into the W.A Academy of Performing Arts and started taking lessons on double-bass.

She finished at W.A.A.P.A, receiving first-class honours and In 2005 she received the Bob Wyllie Scholarship awarded to the best graduation recitalist and the West Australian Youth Jazz Orchestra (WAYJO) Scholarship.

She was also a recipient of the ASCAP Young Jazz Composers Award 2008, and composes for film - participating in the BMI 2010 Film Composing Workshop.

Linda received an honorary mention at the 2009 Thelonious Monk Semi-Finals and received the 2010 Bell Award for Young Australian Jazz Artist of the year. She came 2nd at the BASS2010 competition in Berlin.

Linda now lives in New-York City after completing her Masters at the Manhattan School of Music (now teaching bass in the precollege division).

She has performed with the likes of Steve Wilson, Kenny Barron, Dave Douglas, Kevin Hayes and Cyrus Chestnut.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24105 - 10/07/23 at 16:42:22

Recorded in Cuba, a great session.

Stefon Harris/Christopher Scott/David Sanchez "Ninety Miles" Concord cd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety_Miles_Project

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24106 - 10/07/23 at 19:44:24

Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band "Jazz is Universal" Atlantic/WEA Japan cd

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/01/08/kenny-clarke-6d03bf6a6e74e94f52c75dd...
915836a4e10ff7394-s1200.jpg

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24107 - 10/07/23 at 20:42:30

Chet Baker "Baby Breeze" Limelight/Verve cd.

This is one that sounds better with my DAC phase "Inverted." Nice session.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24108 - 10/07/23 at 20:50:47

That's quite an impressive resume young Linda May has to show.

I found three from Bennie Green to preview, but I let this album play, then flipped it.
I am not unfamiliar with this fellow, but I only have had a single compilation CD, until now.

This is a mono reissue from '65.
Keep pile for sure.

I've also got his "Walking Down" and  "But Not For Me"  which seems to be a Gershwin study.

Bennie_Green_Hornful_Of_Soul_____tiny.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24109 - 10/07/23 at 21:23:11

Yes, Bennie was such a buoyant and vivid musical character. I have most all his output but half of it I fear is in storage. All his Blue Notes are here in the house though. And this Bethlehem, a Time Records, and several others.

Then there's Benny Green, the more contemporary pianist. He once emailed me out of the blue one day about 12 years ago wondering if I could send him a  set of cdrs of a ten cd set of rare Bud Powell material that he hadn't been able to find and had seen in a post online that I had. I did, and he sent me a three cd set of Bud Powell on Steeplechase I did not have. That was fun!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24110 - 10/07/23 at 21:47:45

That IS amazing! What character.
So he sees you post something online and contacts you, attempts to bring you into a conspiricy he has conceived to commit a federal crime and it's just another day.

I love it!
Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24111 - 10/07/23 at 21:53:19

Yes in a way. He really has the cleaner hands. He wanted me to help him have the music. He could have meant send him my original discs, or help him to find new or used copies for himself. . . neither of these two things were going to happen -- I was not going to sell or give away mine, and they were just unobtainium. I took it upon myself to get out my burner and make him copies. Mea culpa!

I didn't hesitate. I knew how it was to be fascinated with Bud Powell and covet these rare recordings made mostly by Francis Paudras.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24112 - 10/08/23 at 08:58:47

Chet Baker "Baby Breeze" Limelight/Verve cd.

This one again as I didn't get to the alternate and additional tracks yesterday.

Some great Chet singing here--especially the two tracks just backed by Kenny Burrell. What Kenny could do. . .he was such a master.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24113 - 10/08/23 at 09:54:38

It may well be too early for this music, especially as the SEWE300B has really bloomed lately and is sounding so atmospheric and this music is. . . eerie to say the least, full of resonant spacey effects. But it suits today well enough!

Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Solar Arkestra: Space Is The Place (Music From The Original Soundtrack) 2 cd set and also remastered DVD and Blu-ray of the film, now listening to CD 1

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24114 - 10/08/23 at 11:12:39

Another cd and Blu-ray set. . . listening to the cd.

Wes Montgomery "The NDR Hamburg Studio Recordings"

I didn't know about this release til last week. Sound is excellent as are the performances.

Recorded April 30, 1965 (live-recording) at NDR Studio 10, Hamburg, Germany

Alto Saxophone – Hans Koller
Baritone Saxophone – Ronnie Ross
Bass – Michel Gaudry
Drums – Ronnie Stephenson
Guitar – Wes Montgomery
Liner Notes – Michael Laages
Piano – Martial Solal
Tenor Saxophone – Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott

The Blu-ray includes another session.

In from eBay

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24115 - 10/08/23 at 12:08:05

Julian Priester Keep Swingin' Riverside/OJC cd.

Looking at that band lineup you know it's going to be great, and it is.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24116 - 10/08/23 at 12:40:12

Lon, I think it is honorable how you took care of Bennie Green in his time of need.
I only have "The Amazing Bud Powell"  Volumes 1 through 4 on CD that was put together as a package by the fellow who ran the record shop I lamented so often after finding they had to close last year. That closing of a second generation family business was due to a city project in Indianapolis.

I have learned that most musicians share music rather freely with each other, regardless of some others who would try to make the law alter their well set minds.  Maybe not if your name is Lars ...

Many musicians I have known hear a song once and it is theirs from then on. In minutes they can play it for themselves and in their own way. Keeping the music alive and open is how music should be, rather than dead, stuffed inside a CD forever like a jinni who can not escape its lamp without offering an exchange of tributes.
I'm going to skirt the political thin ice if I don't shut up, now.

Sun Ra in the morning ... Brave!

Not me, I like to start closer to home. I did my go grab without looking and play it thing this morning.

Pulled this amazing album off the racks:

Count Basie, Not Now, I'll Tell You When

Count_Basie_Now_Now_Ill_Tell_You_When_____tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24117 - 10/08/23 at 13:14:21

All the Basie of that time frame is excellent, but yeah, that's a great one on top of all that.

It was "Benny Green," who is an English white jazz pianist. I used to always get him mixed up with Bennie Green (who on some releases is "Benny," aiding to confusion). I have had similar experiences with musicians who, at least within their genres, could hear a song and assimilate it that easily. And others who couldn't do a Tin Pan Ally tune with ease if they grew up with the Stones or Allman Brothers. Like with any profession there are all sorts of musicians.

I needed that Sun Ra to sort of get me out of my head. The good thing about today is that it's my youngest brother's 61st birthday and we'll be having a brunch with him and my other brother and their wives in a few hours. The sad thing about today is that it is 16 years ago today my first wife expired and this time of year always brings both great and grisly memories back to me. I'm going to shake it off and remember the wonderful times today. And realize how fortunate I am to have a new life with a wonderful wife.

Have a great Sunday my friend.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24118 - 10/08/23 at 13:48:19

Don't worry, I like mixed Greens.
Grin

Thanks, and to you as well. You have to live in your head, but you nailed it. Be thankful for what and where you are and better things follow.

My younger brother and I have birthdays ten days apart (and two years). We used to do things together to celebrate, but we have somehow allowed those to slide lately.

... for no reason.

Enjoy your family time.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24119 - 10/08/23 at 14:12:18

I was going to mention this article I saw this morning.
Headline from AAJ:

"Songstress Antonia Bennett, Daughter Of Jazz Icon Tony Bennett, Launches Solo Career At Dizzy's Club On November 30, 2023"

I have not heard her work, but I am quite curious.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/news/songstress-antonia-bennett-daughter-of-jazz-ic...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24120 - 10/08/23 at 15:11:21

Interesting.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24121 - 10/08/23 at 20:23:06

Interesting, indeed. I will keep watch.

Funny coincidence about our Green talk occurred. While perusing that site a Youtube vid came up in the new stuff.
It is a new thing they are asking for help/member response and participation (you know what that means) in promoting; instead of just a Song of The Day, they also want to inset a video component as a thing.

So, it is Youtube and I am skeptical about sound quality, even using my twenty year old Yamaha servo drive computer speakers (I was at my desktop, out in the garage, enjoying my pipe), which still sound better than all the more up-to-date modern Logitech, Klipsch, Creative, etc. that I have tried over the years, looking for something better. These are the best I have heard, period.

I hesitated, but the music was great. I gave it about a minute on the vid and went to find my own CD collection and dig that one out.

Grant Green, Idle Moments was the video for today.

So, I am spinning that one. It is a "Five Original Albums" variety, of which I have bought many.

I felt compelled to play this next.

"Idle Moments"  is a great album!

Grant_Green_Five_Original_Albums_____tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24122 - 10/08/23 at 21:41:41

"Idle Moments" is the bomb. Over time I've learned to give a lot of credit to Duke Pearson for many great albums of this time. He was taken from us way too soon!

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24123 - 10/08/23 at 21:42:32

I like Grant Green, and "Idle Moments" is one of my favorite of his albums.  Glad to see it posted, and I take it as confirmation of my good taste!

I have 3 of the other albums in that "5 Original Albums" set, and liked all of them (the one I have not heard is "I want to hold your hand," but have seen positive reviews).  I also have bought a lot of the "5 original albums" series - I think they are a pretty good deal - I think I have most of the ones I am interested in at this point.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24124 - 10/09/23 at 09:07:34

Dexter Gordon "Complete Trio and Quartet Studio Recordings 1974 1975 1976"" Steeplechase, disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24125 - 10/09/23 at 09:53:13

Bob Dylan "More Blood, More Tracks - The Bootleg Series Volume 14" disc 4

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24126 - 10/09/23 at 18:48:34

Bob Dylan "More Blood, More Tracks - The Bootleg Series Volume 14" disc 6

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24127 - 10/10/23 at 09:16:35

This one helped me last night ease out of troubled mind from watching news analysis. It's quite a nice release with some interesting arrangements of Strayhorn material.

Planet D Nonet "Salute to Strayhorn"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24128 - 10/10/23 at 16:50:13

The Julius Watkins Sextet "Vols. 1 & 2" Blue Note cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24129 - 10/10/23 at 17:31:48

Needed a little hot grease in the pan right about now.

George Benson "Beyond the Blue Horizon" CTI/Mosaic Records cd

Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Jack DeJohnette
Guitar – George Benson
Organ – Clarence Palmer
Percussion – Albert Nicholson, Michael Cameron

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24130 - 10/10/23 at 19:30:45

Cool start to the morning and I started with a cool album. I didn't know if it was a Fat Tuesday anywhere, but I made mine feel that way.

Started my firepit before sun up and put on some Dr. John.
Cooked breakfast outside for everyone, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and toast.

Dr. John, Right Place, Right Time

Dr__John___Right_Place_Right_Time______tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24131 - 10/10/23 at 21:06:51

Another Dr. John and it was time for some big band, but a little different.
I let the fire die down during this one.

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Gate Swings.

Clarence_Gatemouth_Brown_Gate_Swings______tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24132 - 10/10/23 at 22:00:12

Billie Holiday "All Or Nothing At All" Verve/Analogue Productions SACD

After more than 300 hours on an ACME Silver cryo'd fuse I was quite happy with a smoothness that it imparted on the sound, but I knew a Purple from Synergistic Research would sound better. So they have their sporadic "three for two" sale and I took advantage of that, put one in the SEWE300B in place of the ACME, and even with hardly any hours on it that precise sound is back.

More break in. Sigh. But still. . . great sound as it seasons.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24133 - 10/11/23 at 04:32:12

I'm done with the Miles Davis personnel crate. Nothing to cull! Keeping every disc.
Not much listening again for this day, after the work started on the street.
I swear that huge roller machine they use could confuse a seismic detector.

Those street workers are done and gone now. They finished today.

This is a newer acquisition I have enjoyed a few times.

Buck Hill, Relax

Buck_Hill_Relax_____tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24134 - 10/11/23 at 09:04:24

Glad the road work is done. Our duration was just one work day as they were resurfacing and not--as they should--really re-doing the road for the first time in 20 plus years. They can expect my wife to begin her campaign to have it done right the first crack or pot hole she finds!

Glad you kept all those LPs. Miles and his sidemen did quality work. And the labels also did them proud for the most part with recording and pressing.

Soeaking of Miles. . .

Right now. . .

"The Teo Macero Edited" version of "Miles Davis Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965" set, the second Japanese release, on gold cd. Man this set sounds good! Tomorrow my newly limited edition SACD set of the US remastered and remixed version should arrive from cdJapan. I'm looking forward to hearing that!

Disc 3

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24135 - 10/11/23 at 09:58:23

Jay Hoggard "The Fountain" Muse cd

Kenny and Jay are always a nice combination.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24136 - 10/11/23 at 10:47:58

Andrew Hill "Passing Ships" Blue Note Tone Poet LPs Sides B, C

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24137 - 10/11/23 at 11:28:00

Such beautiful music.

Duke Ellington "Ellington Indigos" mono Columbia LP

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24138 - 10/11/23 at 12:02:41

Eddie Condon "Town Hall Concerts, Vol. 4" Jazzology 2 LP set, LP 1

From the shelves

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24139 - 10/11/23 at 14:17:46

I chose the next carton because I knew it was CDs. Bones feel lazy today. Lots of fall yard prep yesterday.

First grab is twelve Joe Henderson albums.
I'm starting with the first Blue Note. This one is a remaster, reissue in stereo from '99, but I'm glad to have it.
Discogs borrowed pic does not have this version illustrated correctly, but the numbers come out to be the '99 reissue.

Joe Henderson, Page One

Joe_Henderson_Page_One_____tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24140 - 10/11/23 at 14:32:49

Lon, you've got me bleeding green over here and it's not $$, it's pure envy.

That Plugged Nickel set looks awesome. AND, you have an SACD version on the way. Damn!
"Thems is some bigboy shoes!"

I only have the old black cover issue. Believe it or not, I got mine from the library. Back twenty five years ago or so they were doing a huge renovation and selling off old to make room for new.

I was there almost every morning when they opened with my little purse of "exact change" to be the first to pick through anything newly added to the store. I bought well over three hundred CDs that month from the library sale.

I missed out on the big sell off a few years before when they got rid of all their LPs. They had an impressive aisle of classical I would loved to have perused.

I "need" that SACD set!

My "Complete Plugged Nickel"  looks like this ...

Miles_Davis__The_Complete_Live_At_The_Plugged_Nickel_1965______tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24141 - 10/11/23 at 16:16:22

Right, well I have a real history with this box set.

The first appearance of this music was two separate Sony LPs that came out in Japan. I heard about them, but never found copies at their release to buy. Then Columbia US put out the two LPs as a two LP set and that became almost my favorite Miles for a while.

About ten years later I'm in Austin, TX and my best friend, trumpeter Dave Laczko, is the jazz and classical buyer for Tower Records. He hears that Japan is releasing a 7 cd set of Plugged Nickel and that only about 200 are going to be sent to the US for Tower stores. He wrangles to get 2 sets for Austin, one for him, one for me. But. . .they never came. Apparently Tower NYC managed to keep most of them and jilt the other stores. We fussed and fumed, huffed and puffed, and never could get any of those sets.

Finally years later Columbia US released the set you have (and I have) without the edits that Teo Macero did for the Japanese set. I was very happy to have it, loved it, listened to it a lot. A few years later I realized that the Japanese had released a second version of the set on gold cds, same music exactly. I tried like heck to get one, didn't find one . . . kept getting close and someone else either outbid me or got there first. Then years later I saw a set on amazon one day for 100 bucks. Grabbed it, hoping it was legit. . . it arrived and was and it became my go to version.

Then a few months ago on a jazz bulletin board I frequent someone mentioned that Tower Records Japan (one of the only Tower Records still about) was releasing a really limited edition (only 1000 sets) on SACD of the tape source Mosaic Records used for their LP set (the master tapes used for the US cd set were apparently were lost). I scrambled, checked with those I knew who were most savvy at getting things from Japan and found I could use the Proxy Service from cdJapan to possibly get a copy. That worked, and my copy should be here tomorrow.

In theory I could sell one or two of my other sets. Probably won't for a while.

And you got your copy from the library. Wow.

Right now
Bebel Gilberto's tribute album (newly released) of her father Joao's material, on cd: "Joao" . . . .

In from amazon

Followed by
Stevie Wonder "Inner Visions" Audio Fidelity gold cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24142 - 10/11/23 at 17:12:51

Johnathan Blake "Homeward Bound" Blue Note cd

Blake, Wilkerson, Ross, Virelles, Douglas--this is one helluva band.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24143 - 10/12/23 at 09:44:34

The new SACD version of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 cd box set from Japan, a Tower Records exclusive, arrived last night via DHL. I listened to disc 3 last night and am listening to disc 1.

I know many of us were hoping that the tonal balance of this version would be improved. Well. . . I don't think that it really is. Listening to the SACD layer there are subtle improvements in the depth of the sound stage and some instances of dynamic contrast improved, but the overall "tone" of the music remains basically the same to my ears. I'm a bit challenged as I have been listening to the second (gold disc) Japanese version of this release for years and the separate 2 LP versions from Japan and in the "Complete" box that are based on the US Wilder remix. My copy of the original US box set is somewhere in my storage unit fifty miles away. When others get the set and compare directly there will be a moreo definitive comparison I am sure.

Anyway: I love the music, and the subtle improvements SACD brings are nice to listen for and hear.

In from cdJapan's proxy service

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24144 - 10/12/23 at 10:45:05

Sun Ra, "Haverford College, January 25, 1980" Modern Harmonic cd.

A live solo recital on electric piano. Quite interesting.

In from amazon

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24145 - 10/12/23 at 12:55:01

Lon wrote on 10/12/23 at 09:44:34:
The new SACD version of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 cd box set from Japan, a Tower Records exclusive, arrived last night via DHL. I listened to disc 3 last night and am listening to disc 1.

Now listening to discs 2a and 2b.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24146 - 10/12/23 at 14:18:50

Bill Evans "Treasures -Solo, Trio & Orchestra Recordings From Denmark (1965-1969)" Elemental Records 2 cd set

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24147 - 10/12/23 at 16:39:28

The new SACD version of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 cd box set from Japan, a Tower Records exclusive, arrived last night via DHL.

Now listening to disc 3.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24148 - 10/12/23 at 17:57:06

"Ellington Jazz Party" Columbia mono LP

Incredible sound and music!

from the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24149 - 10/12/23 at 18:20:58

Walter Smith III "Return to Casual" Blue Note cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 483 484 485 ... 513
Send Topic Print