Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #24150 - 10/12/23 at 20:55:47

Jay Hoggard Quartet "Something 'Bout Believing: Duke Ellington's Sacred Music" Twin Records cd

From the shelves.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24151 - 10/13/23 at 08:38:13

Woke up early, too early. Gave up on tossing and turning. Leaving the rest of the house in peace, I am playing my mono rig in the garage.

Random, blind grab out of the next LP carton brought up a Hackett/Teagarden album, Jazz Ultimate. An eye opener for sure!

Hesitant at first, but I am glad that I let it spin. A little Dixieland trip is what I needed.

Bobby_Hackett_And_Jack_Teagarden__Jazz_Ultimate______tiny.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24152 - 10/13/23 at 08:43:11

I don't really consider that Dixeiland myself, I think of Dixieland as the straw hat Disneyworld stuff, but Jack and Bobby are consummate jazz men of the early and Chicago style. Not my favorite of either's work but a solid album.

I'm listening to disc 4 of the new Japanese SACD set of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 disc set. Did some re-arranging of the system yesterday to get ready to place John's CSP3 into the system and this sounds better than it did when I first listened to it on Wednesday as a result.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24153 - 10/13/23 at 09:18:02

You're right. I have heard much deeper Dixieland style.

But I'm awake now and I've got eight more Teagarden albums to enjoy.

I remember last month saying I wanted to get more trombone jazz in general, but I am embarrassingly shy on Jack Teagarden work. Not quite a notch carving accomplishment, but a definite step forward.
Today will be fun!
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24154 - 10/13/23 at 09:38:03

Keith Jarrett "Koln Concert" ECM Japan SHM-SACD UCGU-9059

Wow. It's been some time since I played this music, and in fact I don't think I ever played this SHM-SACD version before since buying it. This music was some of the rare music that I loved that I could share with my late first wife. . . she would listen for a while and most times fall asleep, peacefully and deeply. And I would finish up the cd the only one awake.

For a long time I was unable to play this because it brought me grief. That has passed now.

This is an album that I can almost play back fully in my head. It was the second Jarrett LP set I bought, first being "Bremen/Lausanne" which I got after discovering Jarrett on "Miles at Fillmore" and "Live/Evil." What a DIFFERENT Jarrett was revealed on the solo albums.

I still have my LP version of this, I should play it again soon. And I kept a gold cd version from ECM Japan, and this one. . . wow. The sound. Detailed resonance and sustain, each note attack. . . lovely.

This is fantastic music in my opinion. One day it might be interesting to hear another master pianist interpret these pieces. There's a timeless quality to it all.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24155 - 10/13/23 at 10:32:21

Another, different, blast from the past. I cleaned this recently and it sounds awesome.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24156 - 10/13/23 at 10:43:50

These albums are cleaned and clean. However, I try to keep a personal policy of cleaning (SpinClean, Vinyl Vac and brush just before the stylus touches) any unknown or newly acquired piece.
It takes time to do all that. So digging back into the CD carton I found this fabulous collection.
Art Farmer - Benny Golson Jazztet
The Complete Argo, Mercury Jazztet Sessions
Seven CDs.
I know I said I'd be playing Jack Teagarden today, but after this discovery, I am going to be bouncing around some between the two.

Art_Farmer_-__Benny_Golson_Jazztet_The_Complete_Argo_Mercury_Art_Farmer__Benny_Golson__Jazztet_Sessions______tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24157 - 10/13/23 at 10:58:23

That's a fabulous Mosaic set!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24158 - 10/13/23 at 11:21:08

Now listening to disc 5 of the new Japanese SACD set of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 disc set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24159 - 10/13/23 at 19:11:03

Now listening to disc 6 of the new Japanese SACD set of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 disc set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24160 - 10/13/23 at 20:59:26

Josee Koning "Tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24161 - 10/14/23 at 15:49:20

I´m lucky enough to have picked this one up on vinyl when it was still in stock... Having a best friend who owns the largest record store in Iceland helps when sourcing hard to get stuff sometimes..

they seem to be fetching as little as 250$ on Discogs and listening to the over-all quality of this recording it´s little wonder tbh

cant post a link to this on youtube as I´ve not gotten to 12 posts on this new account.... but recommend looking it up.

Rap.

p.s wish I could remember how to post pictures that didnt expand the borders of the message... Undecided

Screenshot_13.jpg

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24162 - 10/14/23 at 15:53:16

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24163 - 10/14/23 at 15:54:20

Cool. Not On is a nice label.

Right now
Claudia Villela "Asa Verde"

https://www.discogs.com/release/22091638-Claudia-Villela-Asa-Verde

From the shelves

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24164 - 10/14/23 at 17:03:43

The Eno brothers

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24165 - 10/14/23 at 17:47:15

Jim Hall "Where Would I Be?" Milestone/OJC cd

Airto! I love it when Airto is on the drumkit.

And Hall always has such a rich guitar tone. It's the type I dream of when I have a guitar in hand.

Jim Hall - guitar
Benny Aronov - piano, electric piano
Malcolm Cecil - bass
Airto Moreira - drums, percussion  

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24166 - 10/14/23 at 18:31:15

Jim Hall -- Ron Carter -- Duo "Alone Together" Milestone/OJC cd

Been too long since I spun this one.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24167 - 10/15/23 at 09:23:50

Back to this one before it gets swallowed up by the shelves again.

Such a great "anthology" of sessions.

Bill Evans "Treasures" Elemental Music 2 cd set, disc 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24168 - 10/15/23 at 10:57:56

Something quite different that will put your system through its paces!

Flying Lotus "Yasuke Original Soundtrack"

Music for an anime film. Like any Flying Lotus album it takes you somewhere.

From the shelves

Followed by
It's Sunday, a good time to play this one.

John Coltrane "A Love Supreme" Impulse/Universal Japan SHM-SACD UCGQ-9037 (Acoustic Sound Series SACD)

There are so many good sounding issues of this masterwork. This one sounds phenomenal.

From the shelves; from cdjapan.co.jp

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24169 - 10/15/23 at 16:30:55

Nice one Lon,

Right now.

Rap.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24170 - 10/15/23 at 21:33:44

I like that "Flying Lotus" album, Lon. Not at all what I normally look for, but one minute or so and I was intrigued.
I turned my subwoofer on. I showed my son and I think he bought a DL copy on the spot. This is like the music he tries to make.
Smiley

I only streamed it. I use Tidal at 24-bit, 192 kHz. Most everything sounds pretty good at that setting.

I have a few more Art Farmer to go through. Not including the collection, twelve more albums. All on CD. Still going.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24171 - 10/15/23 at 22:13:00

Yes, Flying Lotus is an interesting producer--he mixes interesting collages AND he doesn't overload or distort things much at all (unless intentionally). I dig those of his I have. Glad you both enjoyed it.

Right now
My Lucinda is so happy--the Browns won, and I get to listen to one disc . . .

SFJazz Collective "Wonder--the Songs of Stevie Wonder"

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24172 - 10/16/23 at 01:45:55

Wow. This came in today, his first one in some time, and it's a LOT. I love Ed, "The Collossus of Rio"!

https://www.mps-music.com/releases/benind-the-tea-chronicles/

Ed Motta "Behind the Tea Leaves" MPS cd

Just in from amazon

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24173 - 10/16/23 at 04:32:06

Nice bit of Afro-Cuban/Afro-Caribbean genre, it's been called, to finish the evening.
This guy was based out of central Illinois early on and recorded one of his previous albums,  "Soul Eyes"  at The Pogo Studio in Champaign, IL, which is a pretty nice listen, too.
That's from an old article which does not mention this newer release.

I've had this on the racks for about five years, but I haven't heard it in a while.

Craig Russo Latin Jazz Project, In The Middle

Craig_Russo_Latin_Jazz_Project_In_The_Middle_____tiny_001.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24174 - 10/16/23 at 09:21:19

Ed Motta's latest again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24175 - 10/16/23 at 09:56:14

Miles Davis "Seven Steps to Heaven" Analogue Productions SACD

This sounds marvelous. In a few days I'll have the Mobile Fidelity Labs SACD version here, it's in the mail. Will I need both?  Probably not. . .but I'll probably keep them both. It's sort of a sickness.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24176 - 10/16/23 at 10:45:36

Donald Byrd "Blackjack" Blue Note Universal Japan UHQCD UCCU-45071

Now I'm ready for some Byrd boogaloo.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24177 - 10/16/23 at 16:21:45

One of the few types of used records I buy these days..

The vinyl used in these old Quadraphonic records really is something else. Quiet as anything and most times the stereo only cut´s are really good..

Rap.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24178 - 10/16/23 at 17:29:26

Cool Rap. I've never bought any Quad CTI.

Right now
Sam Most "From the Attic of my Mind" Xanadu cd

Most was quite a flautist. Kenny Barron is very good here.

From the shelves

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #24179 - 10/16/23 at 19:46:27

Spinning some Jaco

jaco-original-soundtrack-500x500.jpg
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24180 - 10/16/23 at 19:54:59

When I dug into this latest carton, I pulled out a fabulous collection and I could see another one within.
I immediately freed it too, of course. Out of curiousity if nothing more.
Now, I am playing it, the second disc with Getz and Joăo Gilberto and it sounds good!

I had already run through some Getz LPs earlier, but nothing "complete" until this item on CD.

Stan Getz,  The Complete Columbia Albums Collection

Stan_Getz_Complete_Columbia_Albums_Collection______tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24181 - 10/16/23 at 21:11:13

Good collection! There's a few albums there that I haven't revisited with any frequency, but in general some fine music!

I've been wasting time waiting for Fedex. Tracking was 10 to 2. . . nothing yet. . . have to sign for the box so can't go upstairs and listen to music. First world problems!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24182 - 10/17/23 at 09:26:45

Abbey Lincoln "Abbey Sings Billie--Live at the UJC" Enja/Solid Records Japan cd

Some great Harold Vick on sax!

In from cdjapan

Followed by
"Miles Davis Live at the Plugged Nickel: Tower Records/Sony SACD box set, SACD 1.

In from cdJapan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24183 - 10/17/23 at 10:53:28

"O Universo Musical de Baden Powell" 2 cd set, disc 1

A friend of mine calls Baden Powell "the Brazilian Kenny Burrell" and it's easy to hear why. Wink

Great music.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24184 - 10/17/23 at 15:04:35

Not played this one is a while, wonder why as it´s fantastic..

Rap.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24185 - 10/17/23 at 17:12:00

Was going to listen to just one side of this from the Classic Vinyl Series but when I´m on my death-bed the 20 min extra I spent listening to both sides will not be regretted or missed.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24186 - 10/17/23 at 17:19:54

Yes Rap, two great ones!

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24187 - 10/17/23 at 17:42:44

well one thing leads to another....

upload images

One of the "new" Tone-poet releases on vinyl, and what nice re-releases they are.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24188 - 10/17/23 at 18:04:00

Yes! I've had this on cd for a couple of decades. I love Albert Stinson's work on bass. . . he died way too young, we don't have enough of his playing.

Originally released on LP in Japan before any US release, with this cover:

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24189 - 10/17/23 at 19:10:20

Hey, Rap, that Yusef Lateef is one of my all time favorites!

Big pile of Ramsey Lewis came up. There's a lot here, all on CD.

I went with this first. It's the oldest, from '61 re-done on CD in '04.
The heritage is not promising, but the sound is not bad at all.

Ramsey Lewis, Never on Sunday

Ramsey_Lewis_Never_On_Sunday______tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24190 - 10/17/23 at 23:05:05

I've previewed and skipped around quite a few of this Ramsey Lewis work over the past two hours.
I can see why he won awards, being quite poppish sounding.
Maybe I just don't have the right stuff here, but most of this Lewis is a bit soft core for me.
Several, I paused and enjoyed though, the bluesy stuff especially.

I did not even see this next box at first, but this is more to my liking.

Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter – The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan-Wayne Shorter Sessions.
It's a Mosaic release.
I've never seen or heard this one, except for two albums in the collection, "Second Genesis"  and  "Wayning Moments."
I'll be working through this collection for a while.

Lee_Morgan_-_Wayne_Shorter__The_Complete_Vee_Jay_Lee_Morgan-Wayne_Shorter_Sessions______tiny.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24191 - 10/17/23 at 23:25:22

I am with you on the Ramseys. His earliest Argos I like more than almost all his work, though there's one late one with Nancy Wilson that I fancy.

That Morgan-Shorter VeeJay used to draw a pretty penny in resale as I think the licensing was yanked early on that and not a lot of sets out there. Still does cost, I paid more than I really wanted to a few years ago for a set, even though it was a good deal. There's a ton of alternates, one after the other, which can make for challenging listening.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24192 - 10/17/23 at 23:39:59

Just got in the mail from Music Direct this one. . .and also just got set up the CSP3 I bought from our man JOMAN also today. . . so all I can say is this disc sounds great!

And so does the preamp! Different in more than slight ways than the ZTPRE.

Soon I'll compare this SACD to the earlier Analogue Productions one. My guess is that they will both sound really great and it will be hard to choose a favorite.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24193 - 10/18/23 at 01:42:47

Nice purchase, Lon! The CSP3 I mean.
I am sure Joman was happy to see it go (well, mixed emotions, certainly) to one of "the family" here.

BUT ...  Holy Crap!
I had only looked at the numbers of this Morgan/Shorter set to confirm what I had and borrow a picture to post.
Since I am not in the market (anymore) I had not even noticed that there is only one offered for sale at $330. Wow!

Of course none of that is what any of this is about, but a rarity, indeed.
Thanks for the education!

My continuing chronicle is about finding a way to honor what my old pal has spent so much time, effort and half a life of work putting together. Still looking for that.
I also feel that this effort was supposed to go to some higher, greater cause and purpose. Still looking for that, too.

All his intentions were left floating after passing so suddenly.

It was not just one life, though. His sweet wife took almost a year and a half to come to grips with things left partly done. But, she has sold the house now and called to thank me again about a month ago and say, "Goodbye."
I had nothing to say, but thanks and to wish her all the best.

As to your Miles trouble, I believe they will all sound great, even side by side. I think there will be a clear winner, though, once you get the chance to sort between them all. Projecting ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24194 - 10/18/23 at 09:23:10

Daduka Da Fonseca "Samba Jazz & Tom Jobim"

Yes, the CSP3 with all the mods and the Cryotone treatment is a wonderful preamp. A bit different from the ZTPRE but I'm getting a handle on how to tailor the new element into the system. Nice sound this morning!

Fantastic to start the morning off with this favorite Brazilian jazz disc.

I really like listening to Maucha Adnet sing. There’s a wonderful texture to her voice and if there’s one thing she knows, first hand, it’s the music of Maestro Jobim.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24195 - 10/18/23 at 10:22:01

Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel 1965" Sony SACD box set, disc 2A

It's a fun adventure going through this music again. SACD sound is a nice bonus this time around.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24196 - 10/18/23 at 11:08:18

Miles Davis "Seven Steps to Heaven" Mobile Fidelity SACD

This disc certainly sounds good. The music has sounded good for about sixty years. . . .

In from Music Direct

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24197 - 10/18/23 at 16:15:59

Jay Hoggard "Overview" Muse Records cd

Jay with Geri and Freddie--and a good bassist I don't think I have ever heard before this disc, Ed Rozie. A nice disc, and certainly no victim of the loudness wars, this has to be turned UP.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24198 - 10/18/23 at 17:05:16

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24199 - 10/19/23 at 01:19:57

In the mail today was a Sophia Electric Aqua II 274B that I popped in the CSP3 newly in from JOMAN. NICE sound. These Aquas, the original and the II, are really great rectifiers, hard to keep out of any of my Decware components.

Right now
Bill Evans "Turn out the Stars" Warner Bros box set, cd 2

A ver well-engineered box set of killer Evans music.

From the shelves

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 484 485 486 ... 513
Send Topic Print