"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #24550 - 12/11/23 at 18:24:45

Thelonious Monk, "Solo Monk" Columbia cd

Great performances here, I especially like "Ruby, My Dear"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24551 - 12/11/23 at 19:07:22

Some Prestige Miles Davis.

First, this Ezz-thetic cd, "2nd Session 1956 Revisited." I had stopped buying the items in this series because they are basically "gray market" discs, using the European copyright laws to issue things and no notice of licensing or using original parts. But a jazz penpal pulled my coattails towards this one saying the sound was very interesting.

Well it is interesting. . . the sound is quite good if a tiny bit "thin," and it seems as if the engineer has turned this into a stereo recording with some sort of magic. What's odd is that if this were a stereo Van Gelder recording the drums would be on the right, but they are here on the left, which is odd-sounding. But really the only odd-sounding part of the stereo sound field, which is puzzling. Doesn't sound like the usual "pseudo-stereo." Interesting. Maybe it's an anomaly of my system today. Will try to listen on headphones later.

Then on to
"Workin'" Prestige/Concord Rudy Van Gelder Remasters version. Very good sound! (MONO)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24552 - 12/11/23 at 19:45:39

Charles Mingus "Tijuana Moods" ORG SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24553 - 12/13/23 at 00:14:50

Les McCann "Never a Dull Moment--Live from Coast to Coast (1966-1967)" disc 2 of 3

I like this stuff. Sound is quite decent.

From Resonance Records

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24554 - 12/13/23 at 00:56:01

A masterpiece I have neglected to play for far too long.

Art Tatum "The Tatum Group Masterpieces Vol. 8" (with Ben Webster) Pablo cd

From the shelves

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24555 - 12/13/23 at 14:45:36

"Miles Davis at Fillmore" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

This is among the best of this 2023 series I have heard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24556 - 12/15/23 at 23:10:37

Mali Obomsawin "Sweet Tooth" Out of Your Head Records cd

This is a good disc! The way she plays with authority made me think of this Crosby line;

You know that Indian girl, she wasn't an Indian she was the law

In from bandcamp

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24557 - 12/15/23 at 23:53:35

Art Pepper "The Complete Maiden Voyage Recordings" Omnivore Records, final disc, disc 7

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #24558 - 12/17/23 at 01:30:10

Currently enjoying the Qobuz playlist “Christmas Crooners” streaming through Roon.  Great old school Christmas music.  This is an absolute keeper!!

http://open.qobuz.com/playlist/2614716

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24559 - 12/17/23 at 11:05:41

Two things I don't listen to really, Christmas music and Christian music! That's just me and my upbringing. In our home Christmas music was Handel's Messiah and not anything secular and Christian music was hymns sung in church. Having a minister for a father, or at least my particular minister father, during that time frame colors your perceptions and gives you certain habits.

Yesterday I listened to this great cd, Joe Chambers "Samba de Maracatu" on Blue Note

And followed it up with

Walt Dickerson Quartet (featuring Sun Ra on piano and harpsichord} "Impressions of a Patch of Blue" MGM/Verve Elite cd.

The two were a great back to back listen. I played the Dickerson Quartet cd again this mornning. What a fascinating album, with wondeful engineering that brings dynamics from low to high clearly into play and which gives the bass a perfect place in the mix over all.

And now

Miles Davis "Someday My Prince will Come," Blu-Spec CD2 2023 2 cd package, disc 2, the Mono version. Sounds wonderful, Kelly's piano so resonant and lyrical.

The SEWE300B is making them all sound all that they can be.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24560 - 12/17/23 at 11:46:15

Roger Kellaway and Eddie Daniels "Just Friends" Resonance Records cd

This is a corker.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24561 - 12/18/23 at 17:16:49

Amazing what one can pick up unplayed at secondhand stores...though was 10 years ago..

Need´s no intriduction.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24562 - 12/18/23 at 17:39:54

Wife´s home so Bop-Coltrane had to make way for this:

Happy wife is a happy life...

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24563 - 12/19/23 at 00:49:15

I haven't been doing a great job of chronicling my listening lately. Been busy. . .some home disasters like a 20 plus year old washing machine needing repairs that there are no longer parts for. . . so we were researching and buying a new one. (Settled on a GE Commercial model). And my best friend in the world has been going through some health issues and loneliness and I wish I could help him more but I'm 1400 miles away. . . so I've been spending time on the phone that helps us both out. And that and the holiday season have me calling others far more than I usually do. (I've a certain type of loneliness too, especially as I have friends of over 30 years, two over 35 years, that are far away and no one close by of the same closeness besides my wonderful wife).

Anyway the system sounds fantastic and when I do get to listen I'm just awed. A few Tom Harrell and Miles Davis listens have been the best that I could ever have imagined hearing. And this is a great one as well--one of those contemporary recordings where the music and the engineering are so well woven together. And the music has been giving me great dividends as it spins this last year. Wilkins is a real young lion with the goods.

Immanuel Wilkins "7the Hand" Blue Note cd

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24564 - 12/19/23 at 13:53:43

Some reason xmass can be difficult time for many, we tend to dwell on what we don't have instead of what we do. Last night another volcanic eruption started not to far away and can only count my blessings to not be one of the inhabitants of a small town close to it that are evacuated and homeless for xmass... their houses are safe though for now.

Right now I'm done with work mostly til after xmass so time to spin some liquorice pizzas

This really is a nice one.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24565 - 12/19/23 at 14:31:47

Right now:

Bop til you drop, or at least til wife comes home and says "stop"  ;)

Side two "El Barrio" is especially impressive given it is improvised and done in one take with just a few chord layouts before hand

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24566 - 12/19/23 at 19:03:17

Hope those eruptions continue to stay away from you Rap!

Right now, a young trumpeter I am beginning to really love, Jason Palmer. "Songbook" on AYVA cd

Jason Palmer (tp), Ravi Coltrane (ts), Greg Osby (as), Warren Wolf (vib), Leo Genovese (p & Fender Rhodes), Matt Brewer (b), Tommy Crane (d)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24567 - 12/19/23 at 20:03:25

Albare iTD "Long Way"

Fitting into the mood of the afternoon well. Great guitar sound!

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24568 - 12/19/23 at 22:42:50

Speaking of young trumpeters, I was just thinking of SelmerDave today and trying yo find his cd.. Does he still post here?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24569 - 12/20/23 at 10:13:38

Ed Motta "Behind the Tea Chronicles"

This one is both pure Motta and a bit enigmatic. Re-spinnings are enjoyable however.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24570 - 12/20/23 at 11:01:22

Art Pepper "Unreleased Vol. 10: Toronto" 3 cd set, disc 1

Art Pepper with Bernie Senensky, David Piltch, Gene Perla, Terry Clarke at Bourbon Street in Toronto, June 16 1977

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24571 - 12/20/23 at 17:48:01

"Introducing Roland Kirk and featuring Ira Sullivan" Argo/GRP cd

Every time I hear RRK I'm amazed at what he could do initially and then I'm just lost in the music he creates.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24572 - 12/20/23 at 23:55:13

Miles Davis “The Complete Plugged Nickel 1965” Sony SACD box set 2023, disc 6

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #24573 - 12/21/23 at 01:13:44

Mmoobbeedick brings it home! One great asset of Decware is predictability. My system has been idle for 45 days(read without power). Usally warms to the holographic mode on the 4th 5th track.Tonight it took until Moby Dick to get there.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #24574 - 12/21/23 at 01:30:03

Have not used the Zrock in a while. Not needed here. Maybe put it up for sale. Nah! It's a device that is great to have standing by for that thin recording. This album is good but II was recorded a bit better IMO.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #24575 - 12/21/23 at 02:27:39

Not much foot tapping on this one. A lot of popular songs during my first year of marriage with Karen. Loud in your face recording for most part that seems to get better as it goes on...maybe! It was next in line after Led Zeppelin on the shelfs.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #24576 - 12/21/23 at 03:56:36

Back in '84 this was a jaw dropper(much like what's going on around here). Billy Ocean's "Suddenly" became an international hit for him. For me, a first CD purchase for a just purchased CD player that just became affordable for mainstream USA. Amazing at the time coming from vinyl. Dynamics were sensational without snap crackle pop and track selection in an instant from the Lazy Boy. Jaw dropping...just jaw dropping! Still sounds good, even better on today's system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24577 - 12/21/23 at 14:50:29

Started the day off with the breezy sounds of trombonist Vittor Santos "Renewed Impressions/Renovando As Consideracoes" cd on Adventure Music. I love this cd!

Followed by the Verve Acoustic Sounds series Japanese SHM-SACD of "Duke Ellington & John Coltrane." Sublime sounding disc, music that I have cherished a few decades.

Followed by
"Chico Buarque Songbook Vol. 6" Lumair cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24578 - 12/21/23 at 15:55:52

Bill Evans "The Sesjun Radio Shows Vol. 1" Solid Records Japan cd

From the All Music Guide:

The first five tracks are from a duo tour with the phenomenal bassist Eddie Gomez, who spent over 11 years with the pianist. The absence of a drummer (Marty Morell was evidently not a part of this tour, though he played with Evans into 1974) gives Evans a more intimate sound; Evans seemed to achieve an incredible E.S.P. playing with the talented Gomez.

Following a buoyant opener, "Up with the Lark," the duo's moving setting of Evans' bittersweet, lyrical "Time Remembered" is a reminder of the pianist's total mastery of ballads, as is his equally touching "The Two Lonely People." There are plenty of fireworks in the pianist's "T.T.T. (Twelve Tone Tune)" as the two musicians use his dissonant theme as a jumping-off point for brilliant improvisations. The 1975 set adds drummer Eliot Zigmund, who spent four years with Evans. In these trio selections, the pianist introduces each theme alone, though it is a diverse five-song set. Evans' upbeat "Sugar Plum" showcases the leader extensively, with the rhythm section coming in several minutes later. There were several modern pop songs that drew the pianist's attention, including Bobbie Gentry's "Mornin' Glory" (which incorrectly lists Glen Campbell as co-writer), which Evans transformed into a potent jazz ballad. Evans' "T.T.T.T. (Twelve Tone Tune Two)" is even more demanding than its predecessor, with the trio navigating its pitfalls with ease in a wild, breezy performance.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24579 - 12/21/23 at 17:06:15

hmm need to fix that skirting, guess the saying about cobblers children having no shoes rings true.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24580 - 12/21/23 at 17:48:15

No lose skirting boards in sight...

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #24581 - 12/22/23 at 03:12:20

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24582 - 12/22/23 at 10:41:23

Did a tube change. . . removed the Cryotone 12AU7 from the ZROCK2 and replaced it with my oldest Amperex 6085 (one of a pair from the fifties with pinched waist and not quite as tall as the later 6085). Gives me a bit more body to the images and a bit "quieter" presentation, liking it so far. Put the Cryotone in the ZROCK2 in my headphone system, will check that change out soon.

Right now
Dexter Gordon "Our Man in Paris" Blue Note Japan RVG SHM-CD 2023

Bud Powell and Kenny Clarke!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24583 - 12/22/23 at 10:48:27

On to

"E.S.T. Live in Gothenburg" Record 1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24584 - 12/22/23 at 13:37:12

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24585 - 12/22/23 at 17:56:31

Grant Green "Am I Blue?" US RVG Blue Note cd

This one gets little love, but I really do like it myself.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24586 - 12/22/23 at 18:39:04

"Hank Mobley" Blue Note RVG Japan SHM-CD

This one sounds better with phase reversed to me.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24587 - 12/22/23 at 18:57:53

original 1961 pressing

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24588 - 12/22/23 at 19:56:26

Lon - It is always a good time for "Idle Moments!"  

I didn't know about "Am I Blue" - so another recording for me to try and look into (thanks).  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24589 - 12/22/23 at 21:13:51

Yes, "Am I Blue?" is an interesting session. Very mellow and almost lethargic, but I like it. . . the only real flaw is that there's some strong distortion on one track when John Patton is really going deep on the bass pedals and I think Rudy Van Gelder was caught unawares. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24590 - 12/22/23 at 23:37:05

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" Mono Blu-Spec CD2 from the 2023 2 cd Blu-Spec CD2 title.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24591 - 12/23/23 at 09:54:26

I forgot how interesting this album is. Poindexter and Ervin are great front line sharers here, and my one complaint is that Al Gray is not on every track on this disc.

This edition from Japan does not have the extra material on the US cd (which was not part of this session).

Pony Poindexter and Booker Ervin "Gumbo" Prestige Japan lp facsimile cd

Followed by
"Fats Sadi's Vibe" Fresh Sound cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24592 - 12/23/23 at 11:02:58

By the way, I restored the Cryotone tube in the ZROCK2. It just gives the best performance for the majority of discs I spin, cd, SACD or LP. The Amperex 6085 is really close but has a certain edge on some material that I don't settle into. The Cryotone tube is the best fit for ZROCK2 and as input on the SEWE300B in my system.

Right now
Jackie McLeann "Jackie's Bag" Blue Note Japan RVG Edition cd 2023

Both sessions are great, the second with Tina Brooks on board. Tina Brooks . . . so sad we didn't have him long enough.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #24593 - 12/23/23 at 11:22:56

Spinning some RTI test pressings I bought from Acoustic Sounds many moons ago. Up now some Big Band music the Count Basie Band - Farmers Market BBQ.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #24594 - 12/24/23 at 07:12:22

file upload website

Interesting mix from 45 years of Enos music made for various films

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24595 - 12/24/23 at 10:33:46

Miki Yamanaka (with Mark Turner) "Shades of Rainbow" Cellar Live cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24596 - 12/24/23 at 11:31:32

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" Sony Blu-Spec CD2 2023 disc 1

At least once a month I need to hear Bitches Brew. That's how it seems. I've heard it hundreds of times.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24597 - 12/24/23 at 17:27:40

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "Like Someone in Love" RVG Blue Note Japan 2023

One of the very mellowest of Messengers albums!

Followed by

Ike Quebec "Bossa Nova Soul Samba" RVG Blue Note Japan 2023

A favorite. So beautiful!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24598 - 12/25/23 at 00:20:30

Fabiano do Nascimento "YKYTU"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24599 - 12/25/23 at 00:57:46

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 492 493 494 ... 513
Send Topic Print