Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #2850 - 10/28/13 at 14:32:39

Yes, that remastered Village Vanguard set was stuck in my players for a while too. Just timeless music. What a shame we lost Scott LaFaro but he left a large legacy through his linfluence.

Right now
Two guys I love, what's not to like

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2851 - 10/28/13 at 14:42:42

Lon, I don't think I've got that one but a couple days ago I listened to Louis
Armstrong and Duke Ellington's "The Great Summit, Complete Sessions"...Deluxe Edition.  If you don't have the 3 CD set "The Complete Verve Recordings of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong"...Get it.  It is fantastic.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2852 - 10/28/13 at 14:45:49

Oh believe me I have it. . . if it is an official release of Armstrong's I think I have it. Smiley

Duke and Pops is a good one too.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2853 - 10/28/13 at 16:39:39

This is a test to see if I've figured out how to add a photo.  This CD was in my car for months after I a saw the touring production of Cole Porter's Broadway Musical "Anything Goes"...here in Dallas.  Ella Sings Cole Porter.

51x791e3nNL__SL500_AA280_ella.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2854 - 10/28/13 at 17:27:43

I can see a photo! Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2855 - 10/28/13 at 17:35:33

I'm listening to new music on you tube via my laptop, as I often do, with some Sennheiser Ear Buds.  Like the Trio yesterday, E.S.T., I don't own any of this group's recordings...yet.  This group is interesting. Enjoy,  Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52n-PJR76Dk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-KOGcj2ro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VScRIvrOawY

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2856 - 10/28/13 at 20:30:48

I really don't do youtube, but know that music, it's pretty good.

Right now
In one way I needed a new copy of this like a hole in my head. But I'm glad I got this new Japanese reissue (Bethlehem / Solid) because it sounds stupendous.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2857 - 10/28/13 at 20:45:23

Lon, I have that Mingus Disc but haven't listened to it in a while.  My most recent Mingus purchase was Mosaic Records "Charles Mingus - The Jazz Workshop Concerts 1964-65".  I have only listened to the first two CDs of seven...very exciting stuff. Mark.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=253-MD-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2858 - 10/28/13 at 23:06:04

That's a great Mosaic set. I confess to having 90 percent of it for years beforehand, about 50 percent of which in bootleg format, just don't tell Sue Mingus or she'll track me down and burn me with her cigars!

right now

So nice to see my Dad so happily listening.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2859 - 10/28/13 at 23:48:14

The Ninth is one of my favorites.  When ever the Dallas Symphony Orchestra performs it...I'm there.  There's no recording that can replicate this live.  I had the urge to listen to it a few weeks ago and could only find this version below...not a favorite but most of my CDs and LPs are in boxes currently...long story.  Mark.

516RXWCP01L.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2860 - 10/29/13 at 03:06:57

I think Steve said the Mystery amp helped him to get into Classical (sorry to bring the amp up again, LOL). I enjoy live performances of classical music, but recording mostly leave me bored, or I get sound fatigue pretty quickly when it's a very dynamic piece. I know that fatigue is usually attributed to equipment, so I'm hoping the M-A get's me there enough that I can really start loving and enjoying classical as much as I do other styles of music.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2861 - 10/29/13 at 10:47:53

A little late night Train...

314e0xpuHhL_coltrane.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2862 - 10/29/13 at 13:06:28

Gosh I love that recording. I've been playing it since '72 or so and I use the vinyl and one or two of the cd editions I have to evaluate any changes I make to the system.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2863 - 10/29/13 at 14:01:15

Lon, I haven't listened to that one in a long time.  Is it also on the Evan's Riverside Box...probably not.  This is another I listened to last night...Grant Green before he went "Funky".  Keep listening, Mark.

5197lCT36TL__SL500_AA280_green.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2864 - 10/29/13 at 14:03:00

It is on the Riverside box.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2865 - 10/29/13 at 14:11:11

And last....the third CD I listened to last night...I think this is volume 3 of 4.  I remember it being difficult tracking down all of them at the time.  Now they have probably reissued a Box set.  Mark.

51-abbvrTEL__SL500_SY300_chet.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2866 - 10/29/13 at 14:18:49

Yes, those were hard to find. And you're right, there is a box set from France that has all the French Chet releases, in really nice sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2867 - 10/29/13 at 21:45:32

LOVE this one.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2868 - 10/30/13 at 11:34:09

Listened to this one last night....

515TSHo-1wL_chet.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2869 - 10/30/13 at 19:44:50

I also listened to this one.  The Music is great but too much hiss on this live recording...

bill.jpg

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2870 - 10/30/13 at 22:12:22

Joe Sample:
Old Places and Old Faces (w/Charles Lloyd)
Ashes to Ashes

Now.....the very best of Ramsey Lewis
then.....Urban Knights II & Urban Knights IV (w/Ramsey Lewis)

Harmonics of Ramsey's Piano thru the CS...just perfect!

then.......time for game 6 of the World Series!

Cheers, Stone....& all have a great evening

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2871 - 10/31/13 at 15:44:29

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2872 - 10/31/13 at 20:37:18

now

51ZqxgRje6L_mtb.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2873 - 10/31/13 at 20:44:23

If I didn't know any better I might think this was a Woody Shaw album; I never heard this from Farmer at the time and this and it's companions from the Soul Note label of the time are making me reconsider a few things.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2874 - 10/31/13 at 21:20:24

New Blu-Spec CD2 from Japan and it sounds stunning.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2875 - 10/31/13 at 23:21:30

Just listened to this one that includes some tasty work by Scott La Faro.  When I went to amazon for the image I see that there is now a complete session edition that adds 5 more tunes...

21G770MZT6L.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2876 - 11/01/13 at 00:15:45

I had this one on LP and apparently bought a Gold Master Sound Edition CD 10+ years ago that remained unopened until this afternoon.  Wow, the sound is amazing.  If you buy a copy be careful and read reviews on Amazon.  The newest, 2011, version has some problems.  Mark.

41uota9bRfL__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2877 - 11/01/13 at 01:15:58

I have the newest version, no problems. Looking at the review it seems several don't like the sound. I do like the sound.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2878 - 11/01/13 at 11:42:50

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2879 - 11/01/13 at 14:00:53

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2880 - 11/01/13 at 14:11:45

I need to try and find some samples of these records you keep putting up...I can't afford to buy a lot, so I need to be selective about what I purchase. Some of your selections are a bit difficult for me to find!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2881 - 11/01/13 at 14:15:59

If you're addressing me, I've been collecting lps since '71 or so (though I have had some since '68 or so) and cds since '88 and have over 15,000 recordings. Many have gone in and out of print over the years. Amazon.coim marketplace sellers and half.com are good sources.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2882 - 11/01/13 at 14:33:06

LR, what I've been doing is using Spotify or you tube to listen to new music.  For example, all the Bill Evans Discs both Lon and I have talked about are on Spotify for free (only an occasional audio commercial) and the sound is rather good via computer...less so with mobile devices. I just looked and the first set I would reccomned of Bill Evans... The Complete Live at the Village Vanguard 1961...is on Spotify in addition to many box sets...all verve output box, all Fantasy output box, 1980 Village Vanguard box,  1980 Keystone box, etc.  Some albums sometimes won't be available, for example the label ECM doesn't allow it's albums on Spotify usually. The Art Farmer album Lon recently showed...Isis.... is there and I plan on listening to it soon. Anyway, today, unlike 10 years ago, there are many ways to listen before you buy.  I hope this helps.  Mark. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Village-Vanguard-Recordings-1961/dp/B000AMJEKA/re...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2883 - 11/01/13 at 14:51:59

Lately I've been listening to Keith Jarrett's Solo concerts of the 70's and his more recent "Standards Trio" work all of which is fantastic!  Below a couple samples...Mark.

f71ce03ae7a0f27ebcc5f110_L.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2884 - 11/01/13 at 14:53:24

And another

41qH0YJ83yL.jpg

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #2885 - 11/01/13 at 15:58:29

Anyone listen to Chris Botti in Boston? This live set struck me for its realism and transparency. Very nice live recording.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2886 - 11/01/13 at 18:27:25

Thanks for the Suggestions Mark and Lon! I'm looking to expand my knowledge of music and my collection!

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2887 - 11/01/13 at 18:41:27

LR, glad to help.  Part of the joy of Music is sharing.  I'm sure Lon would agree.  I listened to the Soul Note disc Lon gave us....Isis with Art Farmer, which was very nice.  That lead me to this disc released March of this year, which I am really digging as I type....Mark.

51kx87yZCUL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2888 - 11/01/13 at 19:28:30

OK LR, this might be more help than you want but I've read a lot of books on Jazz and Jazz Artists and for someone just starting the "Jazz Journey" I would recommend the below two books.  They're a lot of fun to read and will educate you on the most well known East Coast and West Coast players from the 20's to the 60's and their most notable recordings.  

LR, remember to take your time and enjoy the journey...don't get in a hurry. These two books are not all inclusive and may not mention artists that will become your favorites but they're a good start. Also the All music Guide to Music is a wonderful resource for all types of music and it's free on line website is easy to use...www.allmusic.com. Have Fun, Mark.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Guide-Classic-Recorded-Jazz/dp/0877454892/ref=sr_1_1?i...

http://www.amazon.com/West-Coast-Jazz-California-1945-1960/dp/0520217292/ref=sr_...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2889 - 11/01/13 at 20:00:15

Thanks for that, Mark, that's some great info!

I have trouble getting into Jazz, so I agree with you I need to start out slow. I've played A Kind of Blue till I almost wore out the laser and know it very well. But not much else has captivated me like that album has.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2890 - 11/01/13 at 20:38:52

LR, Do you know these albums? They are good jazz albums that are not that hard to get into!

They may open up a window. . . .

But hey, if jazz doesn't reach you there's nothing wrong with that. It's more and more a niche genre and in my opinion all genres are valid and valuable if they bring you real enjoyment.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2891 - 11/01/13 at 20:42:39

This Now...

615S9zypNRL__SL1000_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2892 - 11/01/13 at 21:05:34

OK LR, all of Lon's recommendations are on Spotify.  I won't overwhelm you with albums but check out Hank Mobley's Soul Station on Blue Note Records....Mobley is less challenging than Coltrane...I think you'll like him.  You could spend a lifetime listening to just Blue Note's recordings and die a happy man...at least I could...hehe.  Now go sign up for Spotify. I'm sure you could even figure out how to stream it through you Hi Fi.  Mark.

51M6t6RKdGL__AA160_.jpg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2893 - 11/01/13 at 23:14:06

Right on Lon, and Mark, thanks. Grant Green`s a new name to me......
I should be receiving 2 ea of  Coltrane, Byrd,....and Joe Pass albums on Saturday.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2894 - 11/01/13 at 23:19:54

The new US cd

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2895 - 11/01/13 at 23:22:23

Oh my, Grant Green was a very individual guitarist whose style was on the surface very simple and direct but whose work I find fascinating. I worked as a drummer with several very busy and complicated guitarists, and discovered Green's sparer and less complicated playing at that time and it was a huge breath of fresh air. And I still enjoy his work immensely. It's too bad he didn't live on into the 'eighties and beyond.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2896 - 11/01/13 at 23:30:03

D`oh, Byrd, C. Parker.
`One night in Birdland`,and `The happy Bird`

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2897 - 11/02/13 at 00:22:29

Speaking of Grant Green...I recently listened to some of this Box,,,much of the music can be found on the two CD Blue Note Reissue in the next pic..

51QtLlma1KL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2898 - 11/02/13 at 00:23:59

This was supposed to be the first photo...Mark.

51sQ1orxVYL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2899 - 11/02/13 at 11:41:43

Unwrapped CD #2 of this Mosaic set, last night....Ahmad Jamal's Trio at the Pershing Lounge in  January 1958...

21D19VEaYRL.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 512
Send Topic Print