Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #2900 - 11/02/13 at 13:11:30

That Mosaic set is great, some wonderful music within.

Right now
Disk 6

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2901 - 11/02/13 at 15:10:51

Just finished listening to this one.  It's unusual in that Lee plays Tenor rather than Alto Sax for half the album but it's all good....

51Te8wMSJ4L__SY300_.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2902 - 11/02/13 at 15:13:49

My parents and I were in a Jobim mood.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2903 - 11/02/13 at 17:54:50

I wanted a something a little heavy/weighty this morning - it's already been a rough day. I've had this CD for years - I grabbed up a bunch of DDD CDs back around the turn of the century, after reading an article about how DDD were what you should be looking for in classical recordings.  ::)  I really don't know much about classical, but I try to sample everything.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2904 - 11/02/13 at 23:29:41

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2905 - 11/03/13 at 00:26:43

Another example of "I've listened to this a thousand time, and with my current setup I'm hearing things I've never heard before"

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2906 - 11/03/13 at 09:59:44

I listened to three CDs last night. Here's the amazing Sarah Vaughan with Basie's Big Band as back up.  She and Ella are the tops for me.  Mark. PS...the recording on this 1996 reissue is fantastic.

61FCWh3QoML.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2907 - 11/04/13 at 10:17:13

Listened to this one last night.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0izjSUqCcSQ

43a88149e7a073949568e110_L.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2908 - 11/04/13 at 13:21:16

The solo piano session on disc 11.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2909 - 11/04/13 at 13:46:17

Yes Lon, solo Bill can be very satisfying.  He also did some solo albums with Verve...I've got the massive "Complete Bill Evans on Verve" with all of it.  The rusty packaging has to be the worst idea a record label ever had.

I listened to this one....not for beginners!  I do try to "stretch" my ears on occasion and will sample late Coltrane and Miles soon.  It took me quite a while to really get Miles' second "Great Quintet" so I know I may someday appreciate...mmmm...enjoy more challenging "Free" or "Electric" Jazz.  I also still haven't gotten into Ornette Coleman...Mark.  PS...I got Monk immediately!

611219614DL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2910 - 11/04/13 at 20:07:02

Just finished this Mobile Fidelity Gold disc of Monk's Quartet at the Monterrey Jazz Festival in 1963....very nice.  During a couple tunes you can tell from the audience reaction when Monk would get up and do his little dance during the drum or bass solos. I'm not sure I have volume 2. Mark.

41k4lFr9q8L__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2911 - 11/04/13 at 20:26:39

I'm at home for the afternoon after a morning of doctor's appointments for my parents and put on the first disc of this new box set, wild stuff.

The first disc:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2912 - 11/04/13 at 21:28:26

Bill Evans is on piano for two thirds of this, a really nice date from this trombonist who should have had more leader dates than he did.

The new Japanese cd sounds good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2913 - 11/04/13 at 21:36:34

Lon, I went to spotify and couldn't find any of the giorgio gaslini  albums you're listening to but found a soundtrack by his quartet from 1961 called "La Notte"...very nice.

Also listening to this...

51W5SlbJGQL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2914 - 11/04/13 at 21:58:29

Yes, those albums were always pretty hard to find, now they're all on a cheap box set that sounds great. Sometimes we record collectors win. His Soul Note lps are worth checking out, especially his Ayler and Monk ones.

Right now, the lovely new one from the BEAUTIFUL Monday Michiru.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2915 - 11/04/13 at 23:10:17

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2916 - 11/04/13 at 23:34:35

Yes, I think one could ask "Who put the benzedrine in Mr. Gaslini's Ovaltine."

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2917 - 11/05/13 at 11:38:14

Lon, yesterday I went to Amazon to learn more about your box set.  All I found was that it isn't to be released until Dec 10th....you must have a connection...hehe.

I listened to CD #2 of the below set....very nice.  I'll go post a pic at the Favs thread now...Bye.  Mark.

51DXKRRfrWL.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2918 - 11/05/13 at 11:46:08

Mark, this new batch of Black Saint/Soul Note (and in this case another label) box sets were released in Europe a few weeks ago and not released to the US for a while; this is par for the course for this company. I pre-ordered mine this spring from amazon.fr and they shipped a few weeks ago. Cheaper, and faster. . . ah sometimes (as much as I think that it is ruining our world) the internet is a great thing.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2919 - 11/05/13 at 11:50:15

So Lon, how much in US dollars did it cost from France? Is the shipping free like in the US?  Mark.  PS it was $79.53 pre ordered from US Amazon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2920 - 11/05/13 at 13:04:27

I got all seven sets at once so I had to do a "mock order" to see what it would cost now from amazon.fr. (My price was a preorder price a little cheaper than the current price). You get to subtract some VAT and there is shipping so it came to 49 dollars total (36 Euro). Cheaper by far.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2921 - 11/05/13 at 13:09:54

Mark, not sure if you want to enter larger discussions about jazz, or do already, but I also poset on two other boards bout jazz, one is a jazz board where I post as "jazzbo"

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewCont...

The other is on the Steve Hoffman forums where most of the jazz is on one thread and I post as "Lonson"

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jazz-beat-part-14.333163/

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2922 - 11/05/13 at 13:39:05

Thanks Lon, I think those threads will be valuable resources for future purchases.  This next selection is a Non-Jazz LP I bought when I briefly had the used ZP3 in the system.  It is a LP I had in High School but have no idea where it is.  Joni Mitchell is still a favorite....Mark.

ca4c225b9da0621a74fc3110_L.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2923 - 11/05/13 at 14:04:07

As my Dad mostly listens to classical, I brought over a recent box set of all Haydn symphonies and we'll be working our way through these 37 discs in the near future.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2924 - 11/05/13 at 14:50:42

Listened to this one a while back...But the real reason for posting is to alert everyone that PBS's "American Masters" at 8pm tonight in Dallas is on Jimmy Hendrix...2 hours of goodness.  Mark.

4140MJMVRWL.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2925 - 11/05/13 at 15:08:10

Right, plus Blu-ray, DVD and CD sets released today of the American Masters doc (plus bonus concert footage) and the Miami Pop Festival live material.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2926 - 11/05/13 at 20:17:57

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2927 - 11/05/13 at 23:36:45

I just finished listening to this one. What's better than one Bill?...two or three.  Actually this is not a favorite.  A bit too busy with all the over dubbing, also quite a bit of tape hiss even though this is a Verve Master Edition remaster.  I prefer one Bill with or without Bass and drums.  Mark.

516uXSIhbGL.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2928 - 11/06/13 at 09:44:48

This is the last CD I listened to before watching "American Masters" on Hendrix last night.  I bought this 10...15years ago but hadn't listened to it.  Jim hall, Paul Desmond, Chet Backer are all stunning.  Mark.

41Ru-u8kCiL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2929 - 11/06/13 at 14:59:01

More of these Haydn symphonies. Nice live sound. My Dad and I are trying to use this to calm ourselves as my Mom goes deeper and deeper into these hallucinations she has due to her dementia that manifest as messages printed on the garage across the street or on the wall in the house. Sigh. Tough stuff to be a part of.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2930 - 11/06/13 at 15:18:40

Lon,  this one's in the queue for tonight and that "Satch Plays Fats" CD you posted earlier...I actually have but the older Columbia Jazz Masterpieces  edition.  But the real reason for this post is to ask if you bought the most recent Ellington box from Mosaic.  If so could you comment on it...especially the sound quality in your system.  Thanks, Mark.

419H99346QL__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2931 - 11/06/13 at 15:19:01

I was in a crabby mood after driving home from my business trip to Peoria to find the house trashed...so I played this and a bunch more like it while I spent the night cleaning up.

Then after I accomplished a bunch, I was in a better mood and played some of this while I worked on one of my other hobbies (Building precision AR-15 rifles) before going to bed. If you guys haven't heard Musica Nuda, I highly, highly recommend it. It's nothing but cello and an excellent, powerful female voice! And she sings in like 3-4 different languages. Very well recorded, and little 2 watt amps handle it well since it's not a busy as Rock/Metal or Classical which seems to overwhelm my little Zen amp when it gets really busy.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2932 - 11/06/13 at 15:40:32

Mark,

For the last three years or so I've pre-ordered every Mosaic set. I have this one and gave away other cds that I had with this material before. The  sound is excellent. The music is sublime.

I still have the LPs of this material as that's another kettle of fish, I have this on Columbia LP reissues and Smithsonian LPs, all sounding very good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2933 - 11/07/13 at 12:08:53

Well, I listened to this Velvet Underground album...the second CD in a box set I have.  As I listened I thought...I paid money for this? I'm not sure what I saw in the past here but except for occasional moments, I can't call my experience pleasurable.  As I listened I thought, if I can listen to this completely surely I can give "Bitches Brew" another whack. I'm amazed to see how complete Miles Davis' discography is on Spotify. Pretty much everything from Prestige and Columbia including all the box sets and much more.  Long story short, I'm listening to "Bitches Brew" as I type...my opinion hasn't changed but I'll listen to the whole thing. I must like punishment...hehe. Mark.  

41mCYqE4UL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2934 - 11/07/13 at 12:54:22

Do you not like Bitches Brew, or Miles Davis?

I've worn the grooves off Kind of Blue - but I don't care much for Jazz. I'm trying more Jazz as of late, trying to expand my palate. I know I've got a copy of Bitches Brew around here somewhere...I'll give it a spin tonight....or maybe it's something I need to work up to?

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2935 - 11/07/13 at 14:48:01

LR,  I am a huge Miles Davis fan.  I didn't listen to any of it in High School, maybe a few reissues of earlier Miles in College but collected almost all his output in the late 80's to early 90's on CD...I have all the Boxes with one exception.  I have a problem getting into some "Electric" or "Free" Jazz.  I can't get past about 1969 or so with Miles....Really don't like most things after and including "Bitches Brew"...not for lack of trying though. Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2936 - 11/07/13 at 15:02:35

Knowing I like Kind of Blue - please PM me some recommendations for me to track down and try out?

When I have time this weekend, I'm going to see about getting Spotify to work through my DAC to ZEN setup and do some searching for new horizons. I was reminded of some electronica with female vocals I enjoy this morning, so I have lots on my "to search for list" for this weekend.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2937 - 11/07/13 at 15:31:46

LR,  I'll send specific CD/LP recommendations sometime...don't hold your breath though.  But in the meantime on Spotify most studio work I would recommend is on the "Complete Miles Davis with John Coltrane" box set..Red cover, the marathon sessions of the first great quintet in 1956 with Prestige.  These were to fulfill their recording contract before going to Columbia.  They are all on the Prestige box set "Chronicles" with a blue cover...these would be the last CDs of the box. Then the box set of the second great Quintet with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock...sort of a green-yellow cover.  This second quintet took me a while to get into.  All are on Spotify.  Check them out.  Mark. PS...I'll go find pictures of them and post.

41pHIt7Il9L.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2938 - 11/07/13 at 15:34:18

another

51WvhS4aeaL__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2939 - 11/07/13 at 15:37:25

The last.  LR, get a pair of ear buds and just stick them into your computer...the sound is better than you would expect.  I use Sennhieser CX-500s...they cost about $30 on sale years ago. Of course this is only for sampling. For critical listening, Decware equipment is necessary...hehe Mark.  PS... My Torii and ZP3 are in the mail.  Yipee!

48f8c0a398a062472a9b2210_L__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2940 - 11/07/13 at 16:33:46

Awesome - thank you for that Mark!

I was in a mellow mood last night and didn't want to bother the fiance who went to bed early, so I rolled some trance/electronica with the sub-woofer off of course.  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e0dk7oUfvg

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2941 - 11/07/13 at 16:36:46

I think I'm going to start incorporating links to media going forward, if available. The point of this thread is to share great music with friends, so we might as well include samples along with the album covers.

I don't know if this funky forum software has You Tube embedding available, but if this thread picks up, I'll see if Steve can add it. In the mean time, links should do.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2942 - 11/07/13 at 17:27:29

LR,  I have included you tube links in some posts in the past.  The sound quality isn't as good as spotify but it does have lots of music including some full albums.  Here are four albums by Miles. Two each from Prestige and Columbia with the first great quintet. This should get you started. Enjoy, Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIiu1kQMx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vNreXKw2Qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxd0wmBs8y4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38bShXrS7pM

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2943 - 11/07/13 at 19:58:39

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2944 - 11/07/13 at 20:34:08

I just finished listening to this Andrew Hill disc.  I'm surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.  It's very close to the edge for me...only one tune went too far.  One cut reminded me a bit of John Zorn's group Masada with it's unison horns.  I'll set it aside a few weeks and come back to it again to see if I still like it.  Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjRsTzlGcI

51iV7PWT5tL__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #2945 - 11/08/13 at 02:09:58

The addition of the YouTube links to these posts is an excellent idea!  
I have listened to each one posted today and found them to all be worthy of addition to my collection.

Please keep it up!

Thank you

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2946 - 11/08/13 at 02:16:42

5188ESQB3GL.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2947 - 11/08/13 at 11:41:36

This is the other CD I listened to last night with samples.  I don't use New Lucid mode on my Taboo MK III very often but with the drumless trio format Chet Baker often employed, it works well.  I find with lots of Cymbals, New Lucid mode is too much for me. Chet's playing is showcased well with just bass and guitar back up.  Enjoy, Mark.  PS...I just bought a Used Decware Power cord for $112 including shipping...did I do well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpotoPZkltE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTaKIshgc6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQvCxTNILRY

51Y-N3qnkUL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2948 - 11/08/13 at 19:35:15

Just getting into side 2 of 4. After the totally different soundstage, narrower (mono) that I`m used to I can relax  and enjoy. He`s very entertaining.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2949 - 11/09/13 at 12:12:49

613Arkle0ML__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 512
Send Topic Print