Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1836627 times)
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3250 - 12/10/13 at 22:24:19

Blues tone guitar

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3251 - 12/10/13 at 22:54:47

The fantastic sounding SACD.

This is an album I remember buying on its original release and just being floored. I was a Dylan fan before this, but I never felt his music as strongly as this music before that.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3252 - 12/11/13 at 00:00:07

I took out the RCA Clear Top 12AU7 and put a RCA Long Black Plate True D Getter 12AU7 Tube into my ZP3.  Sounds great. Played the second side of the prior LP, "Crystal Silence", and started the below LP...again....so good! I need to buy more of their music.  Mark.

224a828fd7a04bae07f82110_L__SX300_.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3253 - 12/11/13 at 00:40:09

This LP next.  I'm listening to LPs I've listened to once this month to compare the RCA Black Plate sound.  It is very pleasant... a bit warmer than the clear tops with nice highs but not harsh or edgy...smooth.  I may like this tube better than the Clear Top.  Mark.

61eAGlCt5IL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3254 - 12/11/13 at 01:17:17

Next LP...

41Qa2c3RFBL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3255 - 12/11/13 at 01:51:29

Let's see what the RCA Black Plate 12AU7 does with this LP...

41Z-sclbhHL__SY300__001.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3256 - 12/11/13 at 03:25:50

About finished with this LP...really like the RCA Long Black Plate, which is good since I bought three more that will arrive soon.  Two are 1959 vintage made for Conn organs another is labeled RCA but I don't know the date. All are said to have square getters not D getters like the one in the ZP3 now.  I have a few other 12AU7 types ordered to try.  One is a Canadian made Phillips/Amprex. Another a GE 5814A with gray plate and solid O getter. Another is a Holland made Amprex for Tecktronix with reddish-orange lettering...I'm hoping it's from the early 70's and not the late 70's but I'll have to do some research.  Mark.

41MDDaJkwlL__SL500_AA280__001.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3257 - 12/11/13 at 03:27:03

This LP now...everything tonight is sounding wonderful...

51a0kT3egkL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3258 - 12/11/13 at 03:35:46

After the current side of Steely Dan, I'm going to put on this Ponty LP to close the night out...

41tcB7vE6-L__SL500_AA280__001.jpg

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3259 - 12/11/13 at 05:07:35

Listening to Ace shred ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3260 - 12/11/13 at 15:43:45

Must. . .

Counter. . . .

That horrendous. . . .

KISS image. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3261 - 12/11/13 at 16:07:14

Lon, Ditto on the Kiss image.  I have a question.  I love Classical music though I'm rarely in the mood to listen to it.  Back when I had to read a lot of difficult material...text books and Medical Journal articles/studies, I found Classical Music to make the task easier. I have a lot on both CD and LP.  Before buying my ZP3 and RP6 TT, I listened to some of a  LP Box set of Beethoven's Late String Quartets played by the Cleveland Quartet. I also have all the Quartets on CD although I can't remember who the players are.
A month or two ago I googled these Quartets to see which were considered best.  Your selection came up in many peoples lists of favorites.  Can you tell me why you like these more than the other ones you've listened to.  I may buy a set.  Where did you buy yours.  You always get the best deals.  Thanks in advance, Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3262 - 12/11/13 at 16:54:36

Hey Mark
I bought this set because it came back in print after years of being out of print and as you say these are always talked up as among the best interpretations. They were recorded for Telefunken Records, and they have a very detailed, immediate sound.

The only other interpretations of these Quartets that I know very well are the Guarnieri and Tokyo Quartets. I like the Guarnieri best of these two, mainly because the sound is very balanced and sweet, and playing seems most relaxed (of all three). In comparison to the Veght, the Veght is more rhythmic and dramatic, which is also very nice. Between those two you have two different windows into this incredible music.

I got my set here:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=29857

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3263 - 12/11/13 at 17:11:46

Thanks Lon, I ordered a set.  For the complete quartets...8 CDs...$45 plus $3 S&H seemed like a bargain...especially if their interpretations are as good as everyone says. I remember these Quartets as being some of my favorites when I listened to Classical more.  I remember the three CD box sets I bought costing at least three times more.

I still haven't bought the Dylan or Miles Davis Mono sets.  I keep on thinking of more to add to an order.  I think I may be slipping back into my Addiction...hehe.  You have given me two foreign Amazon stores in the past.  What others do you use and do you just look at all of them for the best price?  Thanks again, Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3264 - 12/11/13 at 17:57:20

Why the hell is the MP3 twice the price of the CD!

I might pick this one up as well. I have some classical, but I really have a lot to learn.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3265 - 12/11/13 at 17:59:50

LR, over the years I've come to agree with my Dad: Beethoven rules. And I love the Quartets, so much variety, so much to hear time after time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3266 - 12/11/13 at 18:01:30

Mark, that's pretty much it, I check all the amazons, mostly use them. I did support a little indie online store (worldsrecord) but they went under.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3267 - 12/11/13 at 18:13:17

Quote:
LR, over the years I've come to agree with my Dad: Beethoven rules. And I love the Quartets, so much variety, so much to hear time after time.

I love strings in general - ordered this set as well. On Amazon it was $145 or somesuch so the Arkiv is a great deal! And none of my friends have this version. I'm sure it will sound fantastic on the ZMA.   Wink

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3268 - 12/11/13 at 18:37:18

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3269 - 12/11/13 at 19:01:43

LR, nothing wrong with picking up the Quartets but aren't you the one who said you got bored listening to Classical Music? It may have been someone else.  I would suggest Mozart as well.  I think a good place to begin would be with large orchestral works rather than Chamber Music. Pick the most popular to start...Beethoven's 5th and 9th Symphonies; Mozart's Symphonies 39, 40 and 41 would be a good start but I really like some of Mozart's earlier smaller symphonies, they're just delightful.  Bottom line is you can't go wrong with anything these two great composers did.  As for which recording to buy, I'm useless, I can't even remember those I have.  Lon might be of help there or do as I did and read the opinions of those obsessed with this stuff, having listened to dozens of versions of each work.  Just google them.  There are lots of threads full of people who love to talk about their music...whether it be Rock, Jazz, Blues or Classical. Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3270 - 12/11/13 at 19:30:29

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3271 - 12/11/13 at 19:33:34

Ok, I'm back in the listening Cave and I'll continue to play LPs I've recently listened to, so I can evaluate the RCA Long Black Plate 12AU7.  It hasn't failed to please with all the LPs thrown at it....Comparatively warm and smooth without losing detail....great bottom, top end and great mids too.  I need to try some Ella next.  Mark.

51PluzZuHBL__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3272 - 12/11/13 at 20:02:17

Quote:
LR, nothing wrong with picking up the Quartets but aren't you the one who said you got bored listening to Classical Music? It may have been someone else.  I would suggest Mozart as well.  I think a good place to begin would be with large orchestral works rather than Chamber Music. Pick the most popular to start...Beethoven's 5th and 9th Symphonies; Mozart's Symphonies 39, 40 and 41 would be a good start but I really like some of Mozart's earlier smaller symphonies, they're just delightful.  Bottom line is you can't go wrong with anything these two great composers did.  As for which recording to buy, I'm useless, I can't even remember those I have.  Lon might be of help there or do as I did and read the opinions of those obsessed with this stuff, having listened to dozens of versions of each work.  Just google them.  There are lots of threads full of people who love to talk about their music...whether it be Rock, Jazz, Blues or Classical. Mark.

Yeah, I think that was me (I have a terrible memory). I'm really glad we have Lon around still; while we have differing views on our system's sound, he has really great taste in music!

I'm hoping the ZMA brings me closer to live sounding (not in volume, but detail, weight, and soundstage), which would really draw me into the music more. I think Steve said the ZMA is the amp that got him to listen to classical. Right now, my Zen Amp runs out of steam when things get really busy and dynamic in recordings. If I play something simple like Musica Nuda (highly recommended) which is nothing be cello and female voice, the 15 year old Zen Amp is amazing in the speed and detail and how it renders the female voice. But as soon as I put Symphony's or even hard rock/heavy metal on, the amp just seems to run out of steam. It's just the limits of 2 watts on 94db speakers I guess. I'd need something closer to 101db so I only use 1 watt, with 1 watt spare. LOL

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3273 - 12/11/13 at 20:12:38

still in the `80`s....lot of bands trying to sound new wave spacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOEAjwTZTw

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3274 - 12/11/13 at 20:30:16

LP #2 of this Ella set. I'm not sure I want to spend more money on  old Nos Holland Amprex or Mullard tubes.  I think I can be happy with one of the 10+ 12AU7s I bought...the most I paid was $16 for any one tube.  I paid $14 for the one in my ZP3 that is blowing me away.  Ella has never sounded better.  Mark.

R-2162172-1345439402-1992.jpeg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3275 - 12/11/13 at 21:01:53

This is nice, The house of love`

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3276 - 12/11/13 at 21:40:35

Playing this one again...I had to use the Torii Bass switch forward...tightening or decreasing Bass...I think I had to do this last time I listened to it...the Bass is pretty heavy with this LP in my set up.  Otherwise the RCA Black Plate is again Beautiful. Unfortunately I have another 12AU7 I have to at least test a while to make sure it works...a GE grey plate 5814.  Then 5 more tubes are in the mail, that will have to be auditioned.  The hardship never ends...hehe.  Mark....Livin' Just Enough for the City...

PS...for side two I put the Bass switch back to full Bass...so I could feel Da Music...hehe.  I think Stevie wanted it that way.

PSS...this one's so sweet it's bringing tears to my eyes. Maybe the volume's too high.

bebc225b9da0794d168f2110_L__SX300__001.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3277 - 12/11/13 at 22:06:54

That is such a fantastic recording, no disputing that! "Golden Lady" and "All is Fair in Love" just get me.

Right now the new lp facsimile CD reissue, a reissue done the way they should be.

I sort of wished they had remixed it just a bit, filled in some of the "hole in the middle" that is there when the flute isn't being played.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3278 - 12/11/13 at 22:12:37

Lon, it's all good but "Jesus Children of America" always gets me.  In a few minutes I have to go shower and get ready to go out to dinner. Then to the Meyerson Symphony Hall for this year's Dallas Symphony Orchestra's Christmas program.  Life is Good...well at least better than the alternative.  Mark.

PS...I misspoke.  Tonight's Christmas program is by the Dallas Wind Symphony, also at the Meyerson Hall.  I'll see the DSO program on Sunday.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3279 - 12/11/13 at 22:17:46

Enjoy it Mark! You don't know how much I'd love to go out. . . even to hear a polka band over a hot dog!

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3280 - 12/11/13 at 22:25:27

Dire Straits

Love Over Gold       (Telegraph Road)

The experts have spoken.

Cool

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3281 - 12/12/13 at 05:46:18

Quote:
Lon said,
Must. . .

Counter. . . .

That horrendous. . . .

KISS image. . . .

Ahh ... you guys are no fun ... that album has some of the most rocking songs known in the existence of man! Grin  Strutter, Black Diamond, Cold Gin, Firehouse, Deuce, Nothin' To Lose ... it is the quintessential KISS album and still stands/sounds fresh today.

Ace and KISS would go on to be a major influences on countless bands and the likes of Eddie Van Halen, Slash, Pearl Jam, Dime Bag Darrel (who had Ace's face tatooed on his chest) and the list goes on. Cool

Here's something you guys may not know ... Eddie was such a fan of KISS that when he found out Ace was leaving the band he actually wanted to disband Van Halen and join KISS.  This was back in the 80's when Eddie and Dave were having major issues as well.  I've heard that his bro Alex talked Eddie out of it, but wouldn't that have been interesting?  I wonder what make-up Eddie would have chosen?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3282 - 12/12/13 at 11:00:29

Hey, we're all into different things. I think it may matter how old you were when Kiss came out as well. I really hated Kiss, I was listening to electric Miles Davis and funk and blues at the time. I've never been a Van Halen fan at all either. Wasn't into "white" music at all at the time and haven't really been a huge fan of rock and pop of that time since. Kiss in particular just did nothing for me.

We're all different.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3283 - 12/12/13 at 13:28:07

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3284 - 12/12/13 at 18:35:18

I'm back in the Listening Cave.  I have put in the  GE Gray Plate Solid O Getter 5814A and replayed Stevie Wonder's "Inner Visions".  The RCA Long Black Plate still rules. I'll keep the GE in for the rest of the day.

This  sealed LP up next...

R-2783465-1300838513.jpeg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3285 - 12/12/13 at 19:12:08

This LP of a 1973 recording...

R-2685491-1356040771-5196.jpeg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3286 - 12/12/13 at 19:45:31

Put the `40`s GE 5u4G in and the rooms filling up with this album, almost ambient, could be the album though, its laid back`n`funky

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3287 - 12/12/13 at 20:29:23

Marky, when I read the liner notes to my CD version of "Waiting for Columbus" it got me reading more about Little feat.  Apparently during the recording of the album you listened to, Lowell George and the rest of the Band had a lot of distrust and tension....as such the writer of the comments said this album, though good, did not receive the high production care Lowell George was capable of. But anything with Lowell George is great in my opinion.

The next LP is EMIL GILELS playing BEETHOVEN SONATEN # 15 PASTORALE #13 on Deutsche Grammophon...I can't find a photo of the jacket but it is in this set on Amazon.  I'm getting my ears ready for the Complete String Quartets of Beethoven that are on their way to me. This was a sealed LP...it's beautiful. I think Emil Gilels died a few years after this recording in 1983(?) at age 69 before completing the cycle of Beethoven Sonatas, so the box set on Amazon is not complete.  Mark.

61dbXlaZlbL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3288 - 12/12/13 at 20:30:20

The mighty Joy Division

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3289 - 12/12/13 at 20:42:47

This is the album cover, but I'm listening to the version in the Mosaic Jackie McLean vinyl box set.

I have this Mosaic in both cd and vinyl versions. The vinyl smokes the cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3290 - 12/12/13 at 20:44:43

marky and Mark, that's my favorite Little Feat lp.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3291 - 12/12/13 at 20:59:06

Lon,  I've got a lot of single CDs of McLean but he's not a favorite.  I haven't listened in a long time but I recall his tone being very sharp...edgy...does that sound right.  I'm jealous, I have neither of the Mosaic sets...vinyl or CD.  It seems only fair that you mail one to me...hehe.

Next LP...this is sounding very good...released in 1985, this is another of the many sealed LPs waiting for their first spin.  Mark.

41Lq9kDyasL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3292 - 12/12/13 at 21:08:44

It took me a while to get into McLean's tone. Yes, sharp, edgy. It's not actually sharp, that is for the most part his intonation is correct but there is a sharp overtone to the sound. But it does set him apart, and gives a certain lift to his sound. He had an amazing musical mind. . . took me a while to "get it" but when I did, I began to relish it.

Right now
Record one

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3293 - 12/12/13 at 21:16:49

Mark, I bought the album when I read very good things about it. I must say it was one that had escaped me. While I was waiting for it, couple of months ago, I read another report...they were burned out...Lowell George blah blah. First time I played it wasn`t overwhelmed, kind of ok. That was a result of reading the dampening  article.
Now this is a recording of them live, maybe selected from a dozen shows.
Playing it again I enjoyed it much more, making myself rise above a preconcieved expectation. `Sailing shoes` a little slow, but different. This time round I wasn`t looking for faults and from manically thinking my amps had lost power (fatman singing in the bathtub?) I got into it.Yeah it`s all there.
At the time..the gig..christ he was a big lump, everyone (me and my regular gigging friends) just wanted that slide guitar to go on. It was a lovely, cosy atmosphere.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3294 - 12/12/13 at 21:57:42

LP now... Beethoven's String Quartet In C-Sharp Minor, Op. 131...LP #3 of 4.  Very Nice.

PS...the software for my computer arrived so I'm going off line to wipe and restore.  Also Fedex made a delivery...I thought it was a batch of 36 albums I bought but no, it was the Running Springs Audio  Jaco Power conditioner I had forgotten I ordered.  So all Hi Fi equipment is off and the Jaco and the RCA Black Plate 12AU7 will go in the system later. Until Tomorrow, Mark.

R-5115554-1384912269-7323.jpeg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3295 - 12/12/13 at 22:20:13

Always has a sweet sounding guitarist onboard

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3296 - 12/12/13 at 22:38:21

Lon wrote on 12/12/13 at 21:08:44:
It took me a while to get into McLean's tone. Yes, sharp, edgy. It's not actually sharp, that is for the most part his intonation is correct but there is a sharp overtone to the sound. But it does set him apart, and gives a certain lift to his sound. He had an amazing musical mind. . . took me a while to "get it" but when I did, I began to relish it.

Right now
Record one
http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/p/payne_cecil_birdsnigh_102b.jpg

Just realized that this is the first time all the material was issued, and the first time that Rudy Van Gelder's location recording from '57 was released in STEREO. Sounds quite nice!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3297 - 12/13/13 at 02:41:19

I'm back in the Listening Cave for the rest of the night.  The laptop's back in service. I previously had occasional distortion on my speakers with some frequencies...it wasn't too bothersome.  When I replaced the RSA Haley Power Conditioner with the Jaco, I moved it as far away from the ZP3 and TT as possible.  After 3 sides, I haven't heard any distortion.  Rerouting all power cords must have done the trick. The RCA Black Plate 12AU7 is back in.  I can hear a noticeable improvement with the Jaco...can it get any better?

This LP just finished...

514x07lURVL__SY300__001.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3298 - 12/13/13 at 02:46:40

This LP next...Remember I'm repeating LPs to see what my changes have done.  Mark.

35e8729fd7a07c5bf500f010_L__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3299 - 12/13/13 at 02:54:23

Glad that went smoothly!

Right now

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 512
Send Topic Print