Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1835307 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3300 - 12/13/13 at 03:34:13

Next LP...

4d9db2c008a008ad274c8010_L__SX300__001.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3301 - 12/13/13 at 06:48:45

Quote:
marky said,
The mighty Joy Division

Mighty indeed!  Still sounds fresh and amazing - one of my favs.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3302 - 12/13/13 at 14:43:02

I was trying out something new last night so I didn't post any of my listening. I gave this a (virtual) spin in a 24/96 HDTracks format. Another one I've not listened to in years (I had a friend that burnt me out on Stevie and Fleetwood in the '80s). The first couple songs made me skip forward, then the album really comes alive - what a great album, especially if you know the background as to what was going on with them during the recording.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3303 - 12/13/13 at 15:00:31

UGH. I hate that incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. There I said it. Floyd, Mac, and so many more pop/rock bands . . . all these were played to death around me in the 'seventies and my minimal interest in the music just went away never to return.

Right now, Haydn Symphonies from this box. The middle and late are really good works, and the sound on this set (especially the horns) is really nice.

Though. . .if I were to write a novel of my current life I might title it "Haydn puts My Dad to Sleep."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3304 - 12/13/13 at 18:41:57

some light listening

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3305 - 12/13/13 at 20:35:32

Sounds pretty damned good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3306 - 12/13/13 at 20:48:20

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3307 - 12/13/13 at 21:15:33

The Org Music SACD

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3308 - 12/13/13 at 23:41:32

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #3309 - 12/13/13 at 23:59:07

Chick Corea and Return to Forever...sorry, no cover art to paste, but the music is awesome!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3310 - 12/14/13 at 00:12:27

Played this one earlier..grabs you !

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3311 - 12/14/13 at 00:19:11

More of the Haydn symphonies.I'm in one of those sit-com moments that seem to pepper my life. Both my HR-1s that I waited over sic months for and my parents' new couch that I ordered two months ago are to be delivered today. I sat all afternoon at my place hoping that the speakers would be delivered. The couch was to be delivered here at my parents' at 6. Well no, the speakers didn't come, so I had to come over here. Now the couch is not hear eyt, over an hour after delivery time and I just got a notivication that my speakers were delivered, They had to be just left outside in front of my door. I can't go and pull them in the apt. until the couch arrives.

I've looked for the humor in the situation and there's plenty.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3312 - 12/14/13 at 00:57:47

Okay, the trucker called me to say he wouldn't be here til 8:30 so I got on my cycle and luckily didn't slip and slide too much on the way back to my place, pulled the speakers in from the little mound of snow the boxes were lying in and zipped back to my parents.

Hopefully the couch will be here and I may be able to get the boxes open and speakers out tonight. . . and not have to wait til whenever my brother comes over to give me a break tomorrow afternooon. IF he comes overf. . . .

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3313 - 12/14/13 at 01:53:16

Lon,
     Hang in there sounds like your having a stressful day with some excitement lurking when you finally are able to get back to your speakers. Hope you have some time to enjoy the speakers tonight.

Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3314 - 12/14/13 at 03:05:56

Hey Dig, just got back but I'm bone tired and knowing how well these speakers are packed I'll just wait until i have time tomorrow.

The truck arrived about 8:45. . . really nice driver. . . he had had a breakdown in Indiana in even colder weather. . .didn't have the heart to ask him to help me move out the old couch so when he left I did it myself. Luckily, didn't hurt myself. Put the living room back together and my parents are very happy. This is an Xmas present I got for them and that my siblings decided to chip in on as well. A This End Up sofa, they have had one downstairs for 20 years and they are excellent. The upstairs couch looked like a long bow, my parents each sat on one end and each end was squashed down.

I feel good, finally got that done, have speakers to open and set up tomorrow. Time to sip a little Jim Beam Black (rare for me but every now and then I like to sip a little bourbon) and listen to this one before I go to bed. . ..

Yeah Digger, it's a little rough for me here but I'm still riding the Fat Bob whenever I can. .  it's only been parked five days so far this year. I did even worse winters for years in the 'seventies out in Geauga County, man did it snow there! I'm lucky, I have a 3/4 mile walk between my place and my parents' . . . I can handle ANYTHING for that length Smiley I"m tough.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3315 - 12/14/13 at 03:21:03

Hang in there, Lon, and keep the rubber side down!

I used to have some of those chairs that match the The End Up Sofa. Great, solid stuff.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3316 - 12/14/13 at 05:03:07

Quote:
Lon said,
UGH. I hate that incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. There I said it. Floyd, Mac, and so many more pop/rock bands . . . all these were played to death around me in the 'seventies and my minimal interest in the music just went away never to return.

I can respect that ... for me it's Jazz Fusion/Improve and/or Funk.  I do like the Bossa nova stuff you recommended me though and I like the Old School New Orleans Funeral type stuff too (is that even a genre? Grin).  

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to listen to Bitches Brew (I have it on hi-res 192/24) ... I understand the musicianship is good, but I just can't get into it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3317 - 12/14/13 at 10:57:32

Ha! After I came back from Africa in '71 I couldn't really get into anything I heard on the radio. . . and then at the library I found Bitches Brew and Filles De Kilamanjaro and it was as if I finally found my way home! I've been listening to these since I was 16, and it makes so many other musics sound thin and empty.

So yeah, we're all different, with different reference points.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3318 - 12/14/13 at 13:35:55

Lon,
      Good to hear your a seasoned veteran of Ohio that means your tough. Geauga County can be brutal I have relatives that live there. I don't think I'd like it much dealing with the snow that they do. Here in Medina County we don't get the snow just mostly the cold the mud and grey skies. I work out in it everyday 8-9 hours it will tend to wear you down after a bit always looking forward to summer. I'll bet by now your well on your way to hearing those new speakers. With all of the talk with them I'd love to hear them. Although it may make me want a set. My modified Polks sound awfully good now and I'd be a bit concerned about setting them to the side and spending a lot on new speakers not knowing how much better they really would be. I guess for now I'll sit tight on them and get some of the other things upgraded that I need to do and see.

Spinning Dire Straits- (Love Over Gold) again just dig the song Telegraph Road glad it is a long one.

Gonna go look for some new music today I think. Stay warm and enjoy those new speakers!

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3319 - 12/14/13 at 13:49:04

Lon,  I read about your adventure yesterday. How can you use only a motorcycle in Ohio?  I can almost understand it in Austin. You've survived decades of riding without becoming an organ donor maybe at age 60 you should consider 4 wheels. I enjoy our exchanges and would hate to lose you.  With your HR-1's out of Zigi's work Shop, I hope mine are nearing lift off...haven't heard anything yet.

I looked up the "End Up Sofa", their stuff looks great.  I may replace the sofa in my den with one. But boy are they heavy. What I especially like is if the cushions get worn or dirty or you just want another look...just order a new set from the huge fabric selection.  I'd been eyeing some "Amish" furniture too.  There's a store I drive by on occasion but I've never gone in.

I got more than usual yesterday from Half Price Books and Records...a Live Jean Luc Ponty album, three early Cat Stevens LPs,  Joni Mitchell's "Miles of Aisles", a Traffic LP, an Ella Fitzgerald LP I'd never seen before and a Classical LP of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. The first LP up today...below...I guess it technically isn't a Traffic LP...huh

I too can't get into "Bitches Brew" but love all Miles prior to that LP.  I may "Get It" yet...I'll continue to try on occasion  It took me a while to really enjoy Miles' Second Great Quintet's albums but it was worth the effort.  Different strokes for different folks...as the saying goes...Mark.

69e1729fd7a0869e175cd010_L__SX300_.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3320 - 12/14/13 at 13:50:11

Yeah Geauga County is rough. I spent a Texas winter working outside installing a waste water treatment plant. In fact I got offered a permanent job (twice the money) rather than working for the temporary company on assignment because the very first morning it was below freezing with some snow on the ground, and I was the only one to show up the first few hours.  .  . on a motorcycle. Job site was 22 miles from my place. I was young and stupid then. Smiley

NO new speakers yet, I didn't have the energy last night and had to (as every morning, without fail) be over here at my parents at 7:30 so I may get a chance to set them up this afternoon if my brother and sister-in-law make it over. here to relieve me a few hours We'll see!

Someday maybe  you can make it out to Westlake to hear the speakers though I confess the rooms here aren't the best, but they'll give you an idea.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3321 - 12/14/13 at 14:15:20

mark58 wrote on 12/14/13 at 13:49:04:
Lon,  I read about your adventure yesterday. How can you use only a motorcycle in Ohio?  I can almost understand it in Austin. You've survived decades of riding without becoming an organ donor maybe at age 60 you should consider 4 wheels. I enjoy our exchanges and would hate to lose you.  With your HR-1's out of Zigi's work Shop, I hope mine are nearing lift off...haven't heard anything yet.

I looked up the "End Up Sofa", their stuff looks great.  I may replace the sofa in my den with one. But boy are they heavy. What I especially like is if the cushions get worn or dirty or you just want another look...just order a new set from the huge fabric selection.  I'd been eyeing some "Amish" furniture too.  There's a store I drive by on occasion but I've never gone in.

I got more than usual yesterday from Half Price Books and Records...a Live Jean Luc Ponty album, three early Cat Stevens LPs,  Joni Mitchell's "Miles of Aisles", a Traffic LP, an Ella Fitzgerald LP I'd never seen before and a Classical LP of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. The first LP up today...below...I guess it technically isn't a Traffic LP...huh

I too can't get into "Bitches Brew" but love all Miles prior to that LP.  I may "Get It" yet...I'll continue to try on occasion  It took me a while to really enjoy Miles' Second Great Quintet's albums but it was worth the effort.  Different strokes for different folks...as the saying goes...Mark.

Mark, I'd say that's a Traffic album through and through.

I don't like cars. When I need to I drive my Dad's car, an '02 Mitsubishi, perfectly fine car, I take them to the doctor's offices in that, my only real way to get an excursion. But I'd rather walk the 3/4 of a mile to my place and back a few times a day than drive that car when there is snow and ice on the road. And I have over the decades accumlated the gear to ride a motorcycle through almost any weather but icy conditions, and to be honest I relish it, it's exciting and exhilirating and I swear it keeps me healthy.

I expect the new HR-1s to sound wonderful . . . after about 2 to 3 thousand hours. They are rather lean and dry til then, on and off, and they'll be played upstairs in my second system for months before they come down to my main system. I may set up my DAL Audio "Retro" gain-clone amp up in the meantim up there to save on tube life. Smiley That inexpensive little amp sounds "good"--but it's no Torii.

Right now, Mozart from this set, Dad is having a rough morning but Mozart always helps.

614NGhxvhIL.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3322 - 12/14/13 at 14:15:42

This LP next.  The sound is excellent.  I hadn't heard this Symphony in a while...Beethoven's 3rd..."Eroica".  Truly wonderful.  Mark.

51yr99oP0OL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3323 - 12/14/13 at 14:34:03

Mark, 'This End Up" gets my highest endorsement. Just solid, firm, functional, and in my opinion pretty. My parents are enjoying their new one right now. My Mom is even inventing a whle new slew of "rules" so that the couch will look like new forever. . . Seems you can't even think about food while in the living room, let alone eat some.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3324 - 12/14/13 at 14:34:53

Lon,  I found your next set of speakers....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151184966559
I'm just not sure how you fit them on the back of your Motorcycle for the trip back from LA....hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3325 - 12/14/13 at 14:37:20

Mark, I'm not sure those are the speakers for me, I've never really enjoyed the "horn" sound, though I shouldn't prejudge these without hearing them!

That said, with two pairs of HR-1s now and a pair of ERR heading to my parnents, I think only the Decware Open Baffle and the NEW ERR would tempt me. I am that sold on Bob's work.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3326 - 12/14/13 at 14:52:09

Lon, I was only joking, of course.  But seriously, isn't the only difference between the old and new ERR's the protective Cage on top? I'd like to hear those Open Baffle speakers...I get jealous when i read about those with the talent of woodworking talk about building them.  But wouldn't they not be as warm and pleasant as the HR-1's.  I'm hoping the HR-1's added warmth is what I'm looking for compared to the 10" single driver Zu Audio "Souls" I have now.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3327 - 12/14/13 at 15:17:37

This LP next.  This was pretty dirty but no big scratches.  There is a lot of snap crackle pop...maybe too much but no skips so far.  It might be returned if a more thorough cleaning doesn't improve things. But the music is glorious...I may just try to find it on CD.  I just looked on discogs and there is a European import on CD.  The LP I have is the original 1959 Mono version. The cover is near perfect.  Maybe it's worth more than the $6 I paid? What do you think?

This LP has made me think maybe an investment in a professional LP washer is in order....suggestions?  In the meantime what is the best way to clean an LP.  My little disc Washer Brush and fluid ain't cutting it on some of these used LPs owned by others not as fussy as I am. Soap and water...alcohol and water..vinegar? cloth or brush? Mark.

R-1378744-1327631222.jpeg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3328 - 12/14/13 at 15:31:49

Well, what I know of Bob shows me that there are more improvements to the ERR design than just a new assembly for the tweeter.

You're probably right about the "warm" aspects of the Open Baffle, but they have other things going for them, and warmth can be found in other ways. I'm pretty sure I'd love a pair. But I'm set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3329 - 12/14/13 at 15:34:34

Mark, I don't know how to value LP pressings etc. these days. It may be worth a bit more.

I bought a Spin Clean last year and I've been very happy with it. A bit labor intensive compared to the ones that "suck" but hey, it's another extension of the vinyl ritual which either you like or you don't and if you do, this is not going to be a bother. Works quite well at cleaning records and quieting them down.

http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3330 - 12/14/13 at 16:31:04

Lon, thanks.  I ordered the package...$125 will infinitely improve my enjoyment of my used LP finds.  Those "microfiber cloths" look exactly like "Laps" used in the Operating Room which are thrown out if unused.  I might pick up a few extra when I can.  Mark.

images_002.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3331 - 12/14/13 at 16:34:35

LP #1 of this two record set is almost finished...I like it...takes me back a few decades.  Mark.

514ZNcWuedL__SX300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3332 - 12/14/13 at 16:44:07

This used LP find next...

41JQvS64VnL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3333 - 12/14/13 at 16:58:34

I think those laps (one of my sister-in-laws is a surgical nurse) are far too coarse for this use, but worth a try. I use the microfiber towels sold for automotive use, they are quite nice, non-abrasive and quite absorbent.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3334 - 12/14/13 at 17:50:41

Ok, enough Pop/Rock for now.  I need some Jazz.  I'm playing this one again...so good.  This double LP set has recordings from 3 previous LPs.  I'm not positive but I think the first LP is mainly the same music as the CD "The Bridge" that I have somewhere.  Mark.  

PS...I checked the first LP is exactly the same cuts in a different order as this CD...of course the CD is "Remastered". http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Sonny-Rollins/dp/B00138CVO6/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=U...

41VRy9NT5YL.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3335 - 12/14/13 at 18:30:18

This LP next...

I'm browsing "This End Up" and they have several tables that would do nicely as an equipment rack...I've given you two examples.  Mark
http://www.thisendup.com/item/29/ClassicSofaLibraryTable.htm
http://www.thisendup.com/item/478/CoastalCollectionConsoleTable.htm

51Nu8NZ5XrL__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3336 - 12/14/13 at 18:39:33

I think you can do better with purpose-built stereo racks from Salamander, etc. for about that money. . . perhaps.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3337 - 12/14/13 at 18:43:43

The philips 5R4gy has gone back in the ZP3 and were cooking with gas again, as is this old fav

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3338 - 12/14/13 at 18:52:53

Looks as thought you guys been doing some serious spinning! Just came home from checking on my dad and picking up some more music all seems good. Lucky to have a place in Medina that sells new and used CD's along with new albums. I picked up 8  while I was there and traded in 4 that I didn't want to hang onto. Popped a cork out of a bottle of wine and threw a log on now it is time to watch it snow.

1.  The best of Little Feet
2.  Gloria Estefan (Into the light)
3.  The Best of Silver Wave Volume three: The Stars
4.  The Cranberries To the Faithful Departed
5.  Ricky Martin (For the Wife)
6.  Sting (Brand New Day)
7.  Yanni Live at The Acropolis
8.  Trans-Siberian Orchestra (The Lost Christmas Eve)
9.  David Gilmour (About Face)

Spinning this now.

Smiley

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3339 - 12/14/13 at 19:10:23

Lon,
    Nice cabinets in that site you recommended. I sorta like the looks of this one.

http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com/p-6056-salamander-designs-synergy-single-40...

Cool

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3340 - 12/14/13 at 19:23:51

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3341 - 12/14/13 at 19:40:30

I love this stuff.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3342 - 12/14/13 at 20:12:16

You can nickname that one "the Tardus."

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3343 - 12/14/13 at 20:21:55

Cool

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3344 - 12/14/13 at 20:41:20

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3345 - 12/14/13 at 20:42:14

The Org Music SACD sounds lovely. R.I.P. Jim Hall. I love your sound.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3346 - 12/14/13 at 20:58:40

I've been stuck on this for the last few days.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3347 - 12/14/13 at 21:00:46

Okay, I started talking about the new speakers here, so I'll finish up here.

Got over to my place thanks to my great brother and sis'n law arriving to check out Mom and Dad's new couch. Unboxed the speakers (Man Bob has really learned how to pack speakers!) They are LOVELY. Beautiful maple finish, the black sets them off so well, they are going to look lovely down here in the living room when they are finally broken in.

Carted them upstairs and crawled around getting them set up in the second system. (Very close quarters up there, just the way it is, wish I had a better rack instead of the cedar TV stand I'm using, but that's another monetary purchase down the line).

They sound . . . like brand new HR-1 speakers. Which is GREAT, with the lurking promise of FANTASTIC mixed in.

Going to run them eighteen hours a day or more for a few months before really listening critically. But they are BEAUTIFUL.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3348 - 12/14/13 at 22:01:55

Cool

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3349 - 12/14/13 at 22:35:29

Getting a bit late so I put this on. What an awesome recording. I`m hearing things for the first time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 512
Send Topic Print