Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1834519 times)
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3650 - 12/27/13 at 19:17:07

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3651 - 12/27/13 at 20:06:22

this is a great  Floyd album.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3652 - 12/27/13 at 21:02:35

FINALLY! Vol. 17 in the Duke Ellington Treasury Series has been released and I have it in my hands!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3653 - 12/27/13 at 22:22:07

I picked up a few things at Half Price Books and Records on my way home from work.  I was tired so despite a 20% post Christmas sale I spent very little time looking. I picked up the below Stan Getz Compilation of his Bossa Nova albums for the car...very nice.  I've got some of the verve remasters and a 4 CD Box of his Bossa Nova years released in 1989.  All are recommended.  Mark.

41CXBMFFwML.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3654 - 12/27/13 at 22:25:33

One of my favorites!

Dark Side of the Moon

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3655 - 12/27/13 at 23:14:41

I sure miss Half Price books. Or even just going out shopping.

That Getz collection is really nice. Right now, my Mom requested this one, makes me happy she digs it.

This is the cover of the rare (not many printed) two lp and two cd set of the original Brazilian version.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3656 - 12/28/13 at 07:04:47

Listening to a 24/96 version of this before I go to sleep.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3657 - 12/28/13 at 13:01:08

LR, I like Gauraldi but seldom play him although I did spin a sealed LP of his "Love is a Lovesome Thing" not long ago.

I listened to four CDs last night with lights off and eyes often closed using Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones with Silver Widow Balanced cable through the Taboo MK III and CSP3 with all stock tubes except an old National Union 5U4G rectifier in the CSP3 via a Jolida 100A CDP with a pair of Baldwin/Raytheon 12AX7s from Mike B. This combo was dead quiet between tracks...no hum.  This was as near Heaven as I've been in a long time.  The endorphins must have been swimming in my brain.  I know my Analog rig should be able to get close to this.

So what did I listen to you ask? I don't know how to post more than one photo at a time so I'll tell you in the next 4 posts.

First was CD # 1 of the Complete Billie Holliday on Decca.  These sides would have been recorded sometime between 1944 and 1950 so the sound quality is good for the era but not great. The music is sublime. Mark.

41kXur8az5L__SL500_AA280_.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3658 - 12/28/13 at 13:15:05

Next was a CD that has lived in my car for many years being in the line up more than out.  This is one of my favorite Sarah Vaughn recordings.  It's from 1978 on the Pablo label with a stellar group...Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, Ray Brown and Louie Bellson. I just love Sarah Vaughn's sound from this era unlike Ella that lost most of her appeal for me after the 60's.  Ella's voice didn't age well IMO. Try this one.  Mark.

R-726070-1152350054.jpeg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3659 - 12/28/13 at 13:22:18

Never quite got Guaraldi. And I like Sarah before the sixties better than after. Ah well. We're all different.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3660 - 12/28/13 at 13:25:22

This Patricia Barber Live club date is great.  I really like her but haven't been able to find more of her CDs in the Mess that is my Life.  I know I have several.  In my next buy I'll pick up a couple more.  This one I pulled to check the Bass with the new cable.  I can't know for sure with out doing an A/B test listening to the stock cable again but there seems to be a little less bass but what's there is punchy and pleasing.  Mark.

51NmJ6C61mL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3661 - 12/28/13 at 13:37:08

Last, I had to close out the night with Keith Jarrett.  When I saw Lon play this one not long ago I went looking and found my copy.  This is one of the few CDs I bought in the last ten years. When this came out I had just discovered that you could listen to music free online.  I had found a site called last FM that at the time had full albums available to listen to via my laptop and ear buds.  This Jarrett album was one of them. I listened to this two CD live concert in Montreux so often I began to feel guilty.  I ordered it from amazon in the end. Highlights for me on CD one were "My Foolish Heart", "What's New" and, of course, "Ain't Misehavin'".  I think Jarrett is one of those artists you either love or hate....I love most and hate some.  I have never seen him live and don't plan to.  After forty years of listening his vocalizations don't bother me but his physical contortions and facial expressions would be too distracting...just watch some of the live you tube clips to see what i mean.  The music though is highly recommended.  Mark.

R-1606754-1379437063-4558.jpeg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3662 - 12/28/13 at 13:42:20

I have seen this trio play and the moaning and physical movements just fade away with the sublime live sound. Would love to hear him again.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3663 - 12/28/13 at 13:52:03

Lon,  I love all Sarah Vaughn...early and late.  Same with Billie Holiday but Ella was a different story.  The Verve recordings are the best for me with the early recordings great but less appealing...the late recordings are not for me.  But as you say...Vive la différence.  Mark.

PS...I should mention that I prefer Sarah on Jazz material.  Much of what was recorded was for the pop market.  Her voice is always wonderful, the material is another story. Also, another of my favorite female vocalists I haven't mentioned is Dinah Washington, especially the jazzy material she did with Quincy Jones'..."The Swingin' Miss D" is the album that comes to mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZigm0SJv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO392nA8xl8

images_1_002.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3664 - 12/28/13 at 14:24:35

I get it. Sarah hasn't been a favorite for me the way that Biilie and Dinah, Carmen and even Helen Merrill have been. And I'm not a very big fan of late Ella. But what a voice and talent!

I'm actually a bigger fan of male vocalists, and my favorite are also consummate instrumentlists: Ray Nance, Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden, Fats Waller. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3665 - 12/28/13 at 15:02:09

The second disc. I swapped tubes on the CSP2 now in Dad's system, from a bottle shaped RCA to a straight shouldered and it has added a bit more heft and a bit less treble sheen to the sound which suits these recordings just fine.

Disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3666 - 12/28/13 at 15:10:15

Lon, I just went digging for some long unplayed CDs and found another late era Sarah Vaughn on the Pablo label recorded in 1982, again with Joe Pass but the other players are different.  This one is fabulous. "Crazy and Mixed Up".  I may have to find my box set of Sarah's Roulette recordings which I bought and as usual, never listened to.  Oh well, we shall remedy that.

I have yet to become obsessed with male vocalists the way I am with the ladies. While digging I found a sealed JSP CD  box set of Louis Armstrong's  "Hot Fives and Sevens".  I think I have this on a Columbia long box set too. The JSP was remastered by none other than John R.T. Davies....I'll have to open it and check it out soon.

Lon. there are a lot of versions of the Louis Armstrong Decca years out there...I'm sure I've got at least one...but not the Mosaic Records box.  In your opinion which versions are best sound-wise?  Mark.

51GzhplCQYL.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3667 - 12/28/13 at 15:13:06

Of all those I have the Mosaic is the best. But the single Decca/GRP cds out of that material sound nearly as good, so if you have those, you probably can "hold fast."

I like both the Columbia and JSP boxes of Hot Fives and Sevens. Each sound good, each sound different (and the material is not exactly the same, the extra non Five and Seven stuff added to each set is not identical.)

Mark, do you like/have you heard Jimmy Scott? A very interesting singer. . . his comeback years are as good if not better than his fifties recordings.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3668 - 12/28/13 at 15:16:10

Lon, the tube you put in is the RCA 5Y3 GT...correct?  I have a pair of those in the Torri until I get around to getting the 5u4G's in there...they've gotten a bit expensive.  Those straight RCA's seem to be doing a good job in the Torii to my ears.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3669 - 12/28/13 at 15:24:03

No Mark, in Dad's system I've got 5U4G type tubes in the preamp and amp, now both straight shouldered. This system needs that OOMPH this type bring sin comparison to the 5Y3G type . . . I've tried those and especially with the ERRs there's just less push to fill the big room (12 foot ceilings, about 20 x 20 with arches leading to stairwlls, kitchen and dining rooms). 2 watts is doing a lot, the 5U4G are helping.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3670 - 12/28/13 at 15:25:01

Lon, in regards to Jimmy Scott, I know I've heard him....might even have a CD or two but I can really remember him.  I'll check him out...if i don't forget.  I need to get a notebook to keep next to my laptop to write down all the stuff I need to sample/get.  The parking spaces in my brain are full so such things often don't stick.

As you may have surmised, I'm back in the Listening Cave.  Lon, do me a favor, check out the two Pablo CDs I've mentioned...I can't imagine you not liking them.  They aren't on Spotify but I know some tracks are on You tube. I'll provide some later.  Mark.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3671 - 12/28/13 at 15:25:41

Ah Jimmy Scott what a character...and what a voice.  Saw him at jazz club called Scullers about 8 or so years ago.  He came out talked for a bit, sang two songs and tried to leave.  His manager ( i guess) had to talk him into coming back out but once he did he sang for over an hour...one of my favorite shows of all time.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3672 - 12/28/13 at 15:27:41

Lon, I may try the RCA 5U4 GTs in the Torii ...seems they are much less expensive.  I think someone here also liked the Raytheons or was it another brand?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3673 - 12/28/13 at 15:35:45

Well, next is someone I haven't listened to with the Decware equipment.  A little late 50's Sinatra in Concert.  I love the Capitol years and much of the Reprise output was almost as good.   This is a DCC gold disc, unfortunately it can't make up for a less than ideal recording...still Frank is glorious.  Mark.

PS... looking at the back the arrangments are by Nelson Riddle and the mastering...or is it re-mastering...is done by Steve Hoffman.

PSS... I still prefer the Capital Studio albums but this Live Concert from that era is great fun with all of Frank's asides...many inside the songs.  And of course the Voice...mmmm  And on second thought, this recording is quite good.

41XR1RC70GL.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3674 - 12/28/13 at 16:28:56

I don't like youtube . . . or have Spotify (I don't like music files). I'll check out the cd or the lp one day but. . . there's so much to listen to!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3675 - 12/28/13 at 16:31:36

Shady Grove from QMS  left on the tt from last night.Side 2 as the amps warm up. Lots of intricacies going on.
TFK grey ribbed 12au7 in the ZP3 and RCA single get rectifier in the CSP for a few days now producing a smooth clearness.

This QMS is good.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3676 - 12/28/13 at 16:46:52

EL34`s love El Carlos

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3677 - 12/28/13 at 16:56:13

Lon, don't be such a Luddite...get yourself a pair of cheap but good ear buds and with a half way decent computer the sound quality isn't bad.  Remember this is only for sampling.  I have the Sennheiser CX 500s that aren't made anymore but apparently can be bought here for $39...there are many others cheaper or more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX--Ear-Headphone-Version/dp/B000VRBLMS/ref=sr_...

Next up with the Sennheiser HD800 headphones via the CSP3...these headphones are much more comfortable to wear than the Audeze.  The sound is marvelous.  Mark.

PS...after listening to that 1957 Sinatra Concert, I've read there was a great one with Quincy Jones in the 50's. I'm not having any luck locating it.  Maybe a legitimate release isn't available yet? I'm not talking about the 80's work they did together. Any help out there in Decware Land?  Mark.

PSS...This one's atrip.  Booty Butt   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjxmDvCMmg

31tGDQqB2aL.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3678 - 12/28/13 at 17:13:23

Marky, I wish I could find my Santana CDs.  Patricia Barber did a smokin' version of "Black Magic Woman" on the CD I listened to last night (see below) that had me wanting more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFi9HrB0Bc

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3679 - 12/28/13 at 17:28:19

Quote:
So what did I listen to you ask? I don't know how to post more than one photo at a time so I'll tell you in the next 4 posts.

Speaking of being a luddite  ;D

I mentioned before, use the Insert Image icon (3rd from left) rather than the Attachment feature of the forums.

Now that I'm looking at it, I see there is an Insert Media icon...I wonder if that will allow me to attach You Tube videos directly...

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3680 - 12/28/13 at 17:33:29

I guess not...I wonder what that link is for. I'd like to be able to share/trade music with my Decware friends.

Speaking of which, was on AVSForum in the Oppo BDP-105 thread and mentioned "burn in" and how I felt that digital files sounded better than their source CDs (on the Oppo) and was basically told I'm an idiot - but then I got a message from another audiophile who believes the same as me, and it turns out he's just up the road from me, and happens to live not far from Palomino. Looks like I might just have to start up a Chicago suburbs audio club...oh wait, Palomino already did that, didn't he.  :)

Here is the link I was attempting to post, I really enjoy listening to these guys - I think I might fire up the You Tube app on my Oppo and play through their live stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMOn023v8zg

Edit to add: I'm just imagining what my setup is evolving into. The Oppo is my digital music hub, allowing me to play CD, SACD, Blu-Ray, FLAC, WAV, DSD, and even queue up stuff on You Tube directly from my laptop and tell it to play on the big screen, all going through my Decware gear...soon to be bumped up with my big Herbie's Audio Lab purchase I put in on Thursday, and the impending ZMA arrival. Add to that all the great music you guys are exposing me to and I'm discovering on my own, music and idea sharing with friends, and having people listen to my setup and help me dial it in a bit...

I'm in a happy place.  :)

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3681 - 12/28/13 at 17:36:16

Yes. I am only slightly less Luddite-ish than Lon...hehe.  I've tried what you suggested before and couldn't get it to work.  I'll try it again soon.  Mark

PS...this Ray Charles' CD is Cookin'...I don't think I've ever played it before...highly recommended.  It's two LPs on one CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3682 - 12/28/13 at 17:39:45

mark58 wrote on 12/28/13 at 16:56:13:
Lon, don't be such a Luddite...get yourself a pair of cheap but good ear buds and with a half way decent computer the sound quality isn't bad.  Remember this is only for sampling.  I have the Sennheiser CX 500s that aren't made anymore but apparently can be bought here for $39...there are many others cheaper or more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX--Ear-Headphone-Version/dp/B000VRBLMS/ref=sr_...

Next up with the Sennheiser HD800 headphones via the CSP3...these headphones are much more comfortable to wear than the Audeze.  The sound is marvelous.  Mark.

PS...after listening to that 1957 Sinatra Concert, I've read there was a great one with Quincy Jones in the 50's. I'm not having any luck locating it.  Maybe a legitimate release isn't available yet? I'm not talking about the 80's work they did together. Any help out there in Decware Land?  Mark.

PSS...This one's atrip.  Booty Butt   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjxmDvCMmg

Sorry, don't like youtube, don't want to listen to headphones or earbuds, don't really need to "sample" things. I have so much stuff! And so little time to listen, I don't want to listen to less tha Redbook quality and I don't like computers and audio together.

A bit Luddite behavior, a bit just my peculiar nature and the nature of my life right now. I have about five hours a day to myself on a good day, and I have a tv, Blu-ray, cd and lp habit to manage in that time frame.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3683 - 12/28/13 at 17:44:10

Mark, I'm not a Sinatra fan (all that mysogenistic Rat Pack stuff soured me to him and never really did like his singing that much) but I AM a Basie fan. I don't know of any fifties recordings with Sinatra, but there is this very famous sixties one form Vegas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinatra_at_the_Sands

There's also one with just Basie called "Before Frank" from the same show or shows.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3684 - 12/28/13 at 17:46:51

No problem, Lon.  I still love ya...hehe.

I just got notification that my entire German Amazon CD order has now shipped with a predicted arrival on Jan. 7th.  So much Music, so little time.  Mark.

PS...Lon, I've got the Sands recording.  The one I read about was with Quincy's Big Band in the 50's...reportedly. May not be available yet.

PSS...remember my philosophy...I am able to separate the life led by the Musician from his or her Music. Thus I am able to enjoy the music of otherwise despicable assholes...hehe.

funny-pictures-history-well-maybe-if-someone-wasnt-such-a-hipster-luddite-we-could-listen-to-music-made-after.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3685 - 12/28/13 at 17:51:40

LOL Mark!

Quote:
Sorry, don't like youtube, don't want to listen to headphones or earbuds, don't really need to "sample" things. I have so much stuff! And so little time to listen, I don't want to listen to less tha Redbook quality and I don't like computers and audio together.

A bit Luddite behavior, a bit just my peculiar nature and the nature of my life right now. I have about five hours a day to myself on a good day, and I have a tv, Blu-ray, cd and lp habit to manage in that time frame.

That's very understandable - but also makes me want to know what TV you're watching, Lon?!

I'm in an unusual setup when it comes to TV. I've not owned a TV for going on 12+ years now...oddly, around the same time I got into Decware. LOL What I do though, is I have a download site on an Italian web page that has all popular TV shows uploaded, with the commercials edited out. So if I want to watch something I just go there and download the latest episodes, and play them back on my 10' "big screen" I built myself. So while I don't watch TV per se, I am up on some popular TV shows, including BBC TV! Lately I've been experimenting with using the Zen amp for sound for the TV - with a little more wattage, it should rival, if not surpass my 7.1 surround setup.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3686 - 12/28/13 at 17:58:21

LR,  if I could figure out how to get a reliable feed of CNBC and Turner Classic Movies...I'd get rid of my $77 cable bill.  By the way, I watch TV on a 27 inch? LCD computer monitor that sits on top of a non-functioning Sony Trinitron 27" TV from the early 90's.  Now that's a Luddite...hehe. My computer battery is almost dead so I'll sign off for the day...gotta run.  Mark.  PS....LR, how about a link to that site with the TV programs?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3687 - 12/28/13 at 18:05:57

mark58 wrote on 12/28/13 at 17:46:51:
PSS...remember my philosophy...I am able to separate the life led by the Musician from his or her Music. Thus I am able to enjoy the music of otherwise despicable assholes...hehe.

I usually share that philosophy Mark. . . but somehow can't overcome it with Sinatra. If I liked his music more I probably could, but I don't and it always seems to have this attitude that I just don't like. So I don't listen to him.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3688 - 12/28/13 at 18:10:42

Lonely Raven wrote on 12/28/13 at 17:51:40:
LOL Mark!

That's very understandable - but also makes me want to know what TV you're watching, Lon?!

I'm in an unusual setup when it comes to TV. I've not owned a TV for going on 12+ years now...oddly, around the same time I got into Decware. LOL What I do though, is I have a download site on an Italian web page that has all popular TV shows uploaded, with the commercials edited out. So if I want to watch something I just go there and download the latest episodes, and play them back on my 10' "big screen" I built myself. So while I don't watch TV per se, I am up on some popular TV shows, including BBC TV! Lately I've been experimenting with using the Zen amp for sound for the TV - with a little more wattage, it should rival, if not surpass my 7.1 surround setup.

My late wife and my girlfriend were/are big tv watchers and have roped me into watching a lot of tv.

My all-time favorite tv show is LOST. I love that show.

Also gone now is Fringe.

Currently I'm watching every new episode of:

Person of Interest
Homeland
Elementary
Once Upon a Time
Castle
Masters of Sex
Mad Men
The Americans
The Good Wife
Scandal
Raising Hope
Cafe Racer
Fast 'n Loud
DaVinci's Demons

And too many other shows now and then.

I have a 40" Sony LCD tv, and have Time Warner cable, DVR. The DVR audio into my PS Audio PWD Mk II sounds amazingly good.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3689 - 12/28/13 at 18:26:05

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3690 - 12/28/13 at 18:26:54

Cripes! That list is fantastic! And a lot of what I watch as well!

You might want to try out (I'm sure you don't have the time, but just some of my top 5 suggestions)

Son's of Anarchy
Sherlock (the original Elementary from BBC TV)
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Supernatural

For simple, *smart* comedy I'd also add The Big Bang Theory

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3691 - 12/28/13 at 18:30:29

Forgot to add Sons of Anarchy, as much as I hate the biker life and think this is a weird version of it, I love the way Sutter shapes the seasons and sets rugs up and pulls them out from under you.

Tried Game of Thrones and Supernatural. Not for me, sorry.

And loved Breaking Bad. But it's GONE. Done. I really wish it had ended after Season 4. That had the perfect ending, and I really didn't need to see any of Season 5, parts one or two.

Also Damages. Love it, it's over.

I'll add Luther (it's over for good now, damnit, why I didn't have it listed) and Coppers, which is almost great. I tried the BBC Sherlock but it didn't grab me. I might try it again sometime.

Not really into Big BangTheory. Good for a few shows.

I'll add Modern Family to the list. I really like that show.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3692 - 12/28/13 at 18:32:28

Bla Bla Bla - Joe Satriani is my hero - Bla Bla Bla - modern guitar god!

http://youtu.be/VI57QHL6ge0

This post is a sample I'm using for the "how to post images" thread I'm starting in the FAQ section for you luddites.   Grin

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3693 - 12/28/13 at 18:32:32

Discogs have copies of Frank and Q.."L.A. is my lady"

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3694 - 12/28/13 at 18:48:01

Watched all the Homeland. Finished now. That brat daughter wound me up.
Big bang gets funny..wish they`d release the new seasons. 1-6 runs on a loop, 2 episodes a day 4 times.
Love NCIS

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3695 - 12/28/13 at 19:06:38

I've had Homeland queued up on my video server for a year now, I just started the first episode as I was doing the How To Post Images writeup.

Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3696 - 12/29/13 at 02:33:00

Pink Floyd

Wish You Were Here

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3697 - 12/29/13 at 02:57:03

Back in the Listening Cave for an hour.  This CD now...

Marky, thanks. That one's from 1984.  I'm looking for a concert from the 50's. I don't think it's been released yet. It may have been this concert mentioned on Q's wiki page..."Jones first worked with Frank Sinatra in 1958 when invited by Princess Grace to arrange a benefit concert at the Monaco Sporting Club" Here's the listing for the concert...

June 14, 1958 Monaco, The Sporting  Benefit for the United Nations Fund for Refugee Children
The orchestra was conducted by Quincy Jones & introduction by Noel Coward
Come Fly With Me
I Get A Kick Out Of You
I've Got You Under My Skin
Where Or When
Moonlight In Vermont
On The Road To Mandalay
When Your Lover Has Gone
April In Paris
All The Way
Monique
Bewitched
The Lady Is A Tramp
You Make Me Feel So Young

PS...LR, I just can't get it to work. I click on the insert thingy third from the left then paste my photo but when I hit post...no picture.  Oh well.  I'll do it my way for now.

a35b225b9da0952de8a86110_L__SY300_.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3698 - 12/29/13 at 03:18:03

Dug up this 1961 recording from Q...

51bSDokT8wL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3699 - 12/29/13 at 03:19:47

Floyd

Animals

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 512
Send Topic Print