What's spinning? (Read 1834096 times)
Digger
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3750 - 12/31/13 at 18:49:35

Sorry about the repeat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evvxBfVDJJQ

No Way

Sounds much better off of my CD probably would be awesome off of vinyl.

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3751 - 12/31/13 at 19:01:59

The UME "Pure Audio" Blu-ray (96/24)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3752 - 12/31/13 at 20:43:53

Lon,  you've listened to that Miles Cd  often enough that I can't help but put it in the queue tonight.  I know I found it a while back...hopefully I didn't hide it from myself.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3753 - 12/31/13 at 20:55:22

It's such a great atmospheric recording. And I'm a huge fan of Kenny Clarke, he was one of my inspirations to take up drumming. That plus the young wunderkind Barney Wilen, that guy is always worth hearing.

Right now
Watching Boardwalk Empire recently made me dig this one out.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3754 - 12/31/13 at 21:07:57

So Lon, is that Bix recording from that label...oracle? you mentioned earlier?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3755 - 12/31/13 at 21:40:54

This one is from a label known as "Off the Record." They have only done a few releases, and I have this one and the two cd set that has all the King Oliver recordings with Louis Armstrong in the band. All the source recordings are pretty rough, but the Off the Record mastering of them is the best sound I've ever heard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3756 - 01/01/14 at 03:56:10

KOB Mono from the new box. (It Ain't Necessarily) So What sure sounds great.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3757 - 01/01/14 at 17:16:04

Back in the Listening Cave.  I'm going to play CDs via Taboo, CSP3 and the Audeze LCD 2.2s then switch to the HD 800s, when my head hurts.  This one first up...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3758 - 01/01/14 at 17:58:29

This CD next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3759 - 01/01/14 at 20:19:30

This sealed CD next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3760 - 01/01/14 at 20:55:31

Next CD...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3761 - 01/01/14 at 21:53:48

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3762 - 01/01/14 at 21:56:36

And now for something different...John Zorn's Masada Chamber Ensembles..."Bar Kokhba"...CD 2 of 2.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3763 - 01/02/14 at 00:25:49

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3764 - 01/02/14 at 00:55:24

mark58 wrote on 01/01/14 at 21:56:36:
And now for something different...John Zorn's Masada Chamber Ensembles..."Bar Kokhba"...CD 2 of 2.

http://assets.boomkat.com/images/462455/333.jpg

You never "got" electric Miles and I've never "gotten" John Zorn. We're even. Smiley

Right now my 4 and 6 year old nieces are here and they're singing every word of the songs on this one.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3765 - 01/02/14 at 13:00:56

Lon,  John Zorn is like other very talented Musician/Composers....I Love some and Hate some of their work.  I also put Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Keith Jarrett and Pat Metheny into this category for example.  Zorn's recordings are so diverse that everyone should be able to find something they like...the question is...is it worth the search?  I hadn't looked for Zorn's stuff on you tube for a while...boy is there a lot...many full concerts and single tracks for those willing to explore.  I've given a few examples of some I like below...enjoy.  Mark.

PS...and the list grows longer...and longer still...OK,  I've told myself "I'll stop at a dozen...mmmm...maybe a bakers dozen.

PSS...Lon,  I know you're not a you tube fan and won't listen to these.  They are really for others who have yet to explore Zorn and of course for myself so I can come back and listen to a baker's dozen of Zorn tracks I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40GJW7iXzz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5qwZbF4_7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NzjGPPdqO8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdBlRoisg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LunXvDk1794
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRY0qxcgPI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_yyYXska8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXcSdx3Sck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iR_QdFh6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVyzcDGASRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5AqWi0fkQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we5Vzn4BKh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n879SkWSlk

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3766 - 01/02/14 at 14:14:02

I am not a youtube fan. I have friends who are big Zorn fans and I've heard early, middle and late Zorn. . . and the guy's playing and writing and arranging just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm sort of an "all or nothing" guy. I like all Miles, Monk, Duke, Mingus, Hendrix, Lateef, Evans, can see where the development is and like to jump around in their careers. There are very few I like just part of.

We're all different.

Right now, Haydn, and Dad is falling asleep. Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3767 - 01/02/14 at 19:18:57

Eventually this morning I put on the John Zorn you tube play list in the background as I traded.  I had to veto several tracks...all with Mike Patton who's talent appears to be screaming.  But I was surprised how many songs I heard with which I wasn't familiar. I'm not sure if it was because of or in spite of Zorn's Music but I made a fair amount of pocket change today...three times my usual goal.

So to continue to celebrate John Zorn, I'm playing this 2000 live recording of his Masada group, which is how I was introduced to Zorn.  I just love the way Dave Douglas plays the trumpet.  Sounds amazing via the Taboo headphone set up.  Mark.

Now track 6...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b423neq2I4Q
Now track 9...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6HGnBeHbU

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3768 - 01/02/14 at 19:40:25

Santana 3rd album  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3769 - 01/02/14 at 20:24:50

If you like long hendrixy guitar........

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3770 - 01/02/14 at 20:29:15

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3771 - 01/02/14 at 21:16:07

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3772 - 01/02/14 at 22:27:19

Started this CD but now watching CNBC for a while.  The mail came with my Silver Poison cable for the HD800's and my Dusty Grove LP & CD order.  This Toxic cable arrived two weeks after paying for it...the Silver Widow took 4 months. This one has a silver sheath and is 2 feet shorter....both negatives for me. Oh well, we'll see how it sounds.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3773 - 01/03/14 at 01:23:11

This is the first of half a dozen Bethlehem CD reissues from my Dusty Grove buy.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3774 - 01/03/14 at 01:53:32

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3775 - 01/03/14 at 02:46:05

Next CD...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3776 - 01/03/14 at 02:58:51

Glad you got your dustygroove order. I love "The Chase" and it's never sounded better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3777 - 01/03/14 at 16:40:24

Juicy Mono goodness

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3778 - 01/03/14 at 21:02:46

Bought this one at Half Price Books and Records and listened to it on the way home from work today.  I know I have it already but I may be dead before I find it...besides, I paid less than 5 bucks (had a $5 coupon).  Very nice, as are all of Getz's Bossa Nova albums. Might be a good project for Mosaic or Verve to release a remaster Box of all this material.  There must be lots of alternates and unreleased songs. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3779 - 01/03/14 at 21:17:09

Hey Lon, I just got confirmation that the below will ship today.  Not a bad score for $90.  Mark.

This collection of "The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings" Volume 1 is a complete set of 23 vinyl records. The original box is not included but these records are still in excellent condition! Records #9,10,14, and 19 are in VG+ condition, due to light scuffs or scratches. The rest are all M-. These all need a good cleaning and will be a great find for any audiophile.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3780 - 01/03/14 at 21:31:31

Awesome score. I'd be jealous if I didn't know you would take care of them and enjoy them. If you ever want to read the essay about Commodore that was part of the booklet, it's available in a book, "Reading Jazz." Fascinating stuff.

I love the music. I bet you'll enjoy a lot of it too.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3781 - 01/03/14 at 22:08:24

Lon, I have that book.  One of hundreds of books on Jazz and Music that I bought but, as usual, I've only read a tiny fraction of them.

In the liner notes of the "Complete Recordings of Billie Holiday on Decca" there was a write up of Milt Gabler's history with Billie Holiday and his work with her at Commodore Records then Decca. Fascinating stuff. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3782 - 01/03/14 at 23:45:41

Well, good, you have the essay then. I bought all three of the booklets from Mosaic a few years after the record sets sold out. They still had booklets.

An amazing history, those three sets.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3783 - 01/04/14 at 03:36:14

One of (many) albums that I appreciate more and more as time goes by, they spin, and the system keeps slowly blooming.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3784 - 01/04/14 at 13:03:48

This CD now..."Masada 2".  Yesterday I played John Zorn's "Circle Maker"...Mark Ribot's guitar playing sometimes reminds me of Dick Dale's surf music.  Listen and tell me if you hear it too.  Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajl28OdWqtc

Masada_Biet.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3785 - 01/04/14 at 13:10:58

Also last night, I played this favorite CD...Just exquisite with the Audeze headphones, Taboo MK III and Silver Widow cables....of course the CSP3 and Jolida 100 are there too.

Then I played this promo with selections from the 8 CD Box set of Coltrane's Quartet...it had at least three cuts from Crescent, one from a Love Supreme and more....nine in total for over an hour of this marvelous Quartet in action.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3786 - 01/04/14 at 13:29:35

I just don't enjoy the Hartman collaboration the way I used to, over time I've just lost interest in Hartman's voice and phrasing. Probably the one I listen to the least of all the Coltrane Impulses.

Not saying it's not great stuff, I've just become finnicky about volcalists and how they're recorded makes a difference too.

mark58 wrote on 01/04/14 at 13:10:58:
Also last night, I played this favorite CD...Just exquisite with the Audeze headphones, Taboo MK III and Silver Widow cables....of course the CSP3 and Jolida 100 are there too.

Then I played this promo with selections from the 8 CD Box set of Coltrane's Quartet...it had at least three cuts from Crescent, one from a Love Supreme and more....nine in total for over an hour of this marvelous Quartet in action.  Mark.

http://super45.net/images/2009/07/coltrane.jpg

http://eil.com/images/main/John+Coltrane+-+Selections+From+'The+Classic+Quartet'+-+CD+ALBUM-391007.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3787 - 01/04/14 at 13:31:12

Disc 3

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3788 - 01/04/14 at 13:42:43

Yes Lon,  you're finicky...hehe  But then aren't we all?
After finding that you tube clip, I've again been trapped in another you tube adventure....ear buds on.  It's begun with more Zorn cuts but may venture else where....I'm thinking Avi Cohen.  Mark.

PS...I've decided to listen to this concert on you tube...Avishai Cohen - LIVE @ Cully Jazz   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhz_0yTavE

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3789 - 01/04/14 at 13:59:27

Yeah, I'm even more finnicky now that I don't really live in my own home and have less and less time it seems to listen to "my" music.  I wish I could play more of my music at Mom and Dad's but . .. they don't "get" a lot of it.

By the way, Cohen's bass looks a lot like mine (that sits far too long in its corner looking good but unplayed) even down to the pickup, but I could use a real heavy duty "peg leg" for mine like that.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3790 - 01/04/14 at 15:18:47

I just finished listening to the Avi Cohen Trio in concert from above.  Here is a song from the album they were promoting...I may have to buy it soon.

Here's a cut from the album..."Seven Seas"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--bc9YvvvM#t=36

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3791 - 01/04/14 at 15:32:32

Next I'm going to listen to this concert at the Blue Note in 2006 documented on both DVD and CD...below is the link to the DVD...

PS...for those unwilling to invest an hour listening to the whole set, here's one song, 10 minutes..."Nu Nu"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1n8n3HiPmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIlO2hZOt0

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3792 - 01/04/14 at 18:43:06

I'm on lunch break from a conference I'm attending on line so I decided to listen to another concert....Avishai Cohen Trio - Leverkusen 2007....nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4Eu1V0JZs

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3793 - 01/04/14 at 23:50:34

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3794 - 01/05/14 at 16:26:29

Reading a dissertation someone forwarded to me written on Miles Davis' "Jack Johnson." Fascinating. Wish I could listen to the recording but can't as I am here at my parens' all day (no goodnik brothers aren't coming to give me some time away). Listening to Beethoven piano concerti instead.

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #3795 - 01/05/14 at 23:34:23

Hey Lon,

Do you have a ling to this dissertation? I really enjoy that Miles album and would love to read/learn more about it Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3796 - 01/06/14 at 00:14:38

Here you go:

http://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10161/894/D_Smith_Jeremy_a...

Quite interesting! It's not one of my favorite albums of this period, bu it is one I've been playing since '73 or so.

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #3797 - 01/06/14 at 02:17:07

Hey, sweeeet thanks so much man!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3798 - 01/06/14 at 02:44:35

Your're welcome. Interesting read!

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3799 - 01/06/14 at 03:34:25

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 512
Send Topic Print