Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1833508 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3800 - 01/06/14 at 13:08:08

I listened to several albums that are familiar to me last night to try to get a handle on the Silver Poison cable I bought for the HD800 Headphones.  Unfortunately I also made another change muddying the picture...a 1962 RCA Black Plate 5814a in the 12AU7 spot in the ZP3.

I did play one new LP...the new copy of "Stone Flower" from Dusty Grove.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3801 - 01/06/14 at 14:05:17

mark58 wrote on 01/06/14 at 13:08:08:
I listened to several albums that are familiar to me last night to try to get a handle on the Silver Poison cable I bought for the HD800 Headphones.  Unfortunately I also made another change muddying the picture...a 1962 RCA Black Plate 5814a in the 12AU7 spot in the ZP3.

I did play one new LP...the new copy of "Stone Flower" from Dusty Grove.

http://ring.cdandlp.com/disk-eklektik/photo_grande/114332757.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3802 - 01/06/14 at 14:37:22

Lon,  I liked it...just not sure how much.  I'll have to listen to it again.  As you know I often prefer acoustic piano...there's lots of electric piano on this.  I've already pulled my LP copy of "Wave" and I'm pretty sure I have "Tide" somewhere.  Did Jobim record any others on CTI under his name?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3803 - 01/06/14 at 14:52:07

No, just Stone Flower to my knowledge for CTI. One of the A&M was made contemporaneously with Stone Flower. Tide, I believe (without checking it out to be sure).

I do love electric piano (so fun to play!) so that may be one reason I love this album so much, but i think the arrangements are so cool and I love some of the versions here, especially Song of the Sabia. The album has really grown on me over the years.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3804 - 01/06/14 at 17:24:48

Palimino over on the 3D recording thread recommended the below fellow and group.  I've put his you tube mix on in one ear as I work.  He's amazing.  Read his wiki profile. Mark. 

PS...digger, I'm just discovering him now.  Don't know of his albums. Here's his website and wiki page.
http://www.antonioforcione.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Forcione

PSS...I've added a pic of the album Palimino was recommending...also the link to all his albums on his site.
http://www.antonioforcione.com/discography

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7z84VCgnfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHl22-atAV0

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3805 - 01/06/14 at 17:27:11

Mark58

What is the name of that album? What a cover! Seems like just computer language showing up.

Whelp all better now!

Grin

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3806 - 01/06/14 at 17:31:55

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3807 - 01/06/14 at 18:03:39

Mark58

He sure is a good acoustic guitar player. Love good acoustic guitar players. One that comes to mind is Steven Stills song name (Tree Top Flyer) its a killer tune.

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3808 - 01/06/14 at 18:20:05

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3809 - 01/06/14 at 19:22:39

This SACD again. Just love Hall's "power tubes all hot and bothered" sound. And Sonny. One of my favorite Rollins and the SACD sounds great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3810 - 01/08/14 at 14:05:51

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3811 - 01/08/14 at 19:18:16

dbl lp

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3812 - 01/08/14 at 19:34:19

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3813 - 01/08/14 at 19:45:22

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3814 - 01/08/14 at 20:09:50

This one is so good!

PS....Lon, What do you think of the Jazz Crusaders Mosaic Box set of their Pacific Jazz recordings...I'm assuming you have it.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3815 - 01/08/14 at 20:11:33

New Order..`.Low Life`

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3816 - 01/08/14 at 20:30:47

Yeah Mark, those Sphere lps are great (I have them on cd, no longer on lp). I think Mosaic did a great job on the Jazz Crusaders set. They hired Malcolm Addey to remix and master the set and there's like over a dozen lps in that set I think, and they sound both consistent and damned good across the set.

Right before I went to bed I put some John Lee Hooker on the stereo and he said to let that boy boogie. So I put on some Hot Tuna, LOUD when I got here this afternoon.

And then I got a delivery of a Helen Merrill date I never had and finally found a good priced copy of, so I'm going to pretend Christmas was just around the corner for an hour.

Helen always transports me somewhere mellow and nice. The engineers and producers should have received an award for this one in '91. Beautiful sound on this cd. (I have the earlier JVC, not the 2010).

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3817 - 01/08/14 at 20:59:52

Roger Waters ..`Radio Kaos`

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3818 - 01/08/14 at 21:03:33

Now on to spaciness, with electric piano and harp and guitar and all kinds of good stuff.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3819 - 01/08/14 at 21:05:26

Lon,  now you've done it...you set off a "Velvet Fog" attack!  If you told me I'd enjoy Mel in College, I would have told you "You are crazy...Never", same with Sinatra and Musical Theater.  But once I got to my mid 30's and 40's I began appreciating Jazz vocals and Musicals.  Funny how that happened.  

I looked for the duet with Helen and Mel on you tube....no luck.  I'm sure it's wonderful.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3820 - 01/08/14 at 21:14:08

Yeah it's nice. The crown on this one is "If I were a Bell," which just swings in that beautiful way Helen could.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3821 - 01/08/14 at 21:27:39

Lon,  I just switched to the ZP3 to CSP3 to Taboo amp to Audeze LCD 2.2 Cans with  Balanced Silver widow Cables....it takes Mel to a New Dimension....Outa this World.

I'm not sure how much Helen Merrill I've got.  I know I've got at least these two on CD.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3822 - 01/08/14 at 21:42:42

Goats Head Soup

par excellence

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3823 - 01/08/14 at 21:55:00

I have to tell you.  The stock tubes in the CSP3 and Taboo with the ancillary equipment I've described is about just what I want.  The LCD's with the Silver Widow cables is just about the perfect mix of detail and warmth to my ears.  Now if I could just warm the HD800's a little.  There is a mod that someone over at HeadFi told me about I may try...putting a circle of felt inside the ear cups is what it seems to amount to.  It is supposed to decrease treble brightness.  This might be the easiest and cheapest way to solve my problem with the HD800's.

PS...for anyone else who has the same "Brightness" problem with the HD800s , here's a link to an analysis of and instructions on the Mod.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus...

Next LP up...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3824 - 01/08/14 at 22:17:17

mark58 wrote on 01/08/14 at 21:27:39:
Lon,  I just switched to the ZP3 to CSP3 to Taboo amp to Audeze LCD 2.2 Cans with  Balanced Silver widow Cables....it takes Mel to a New Dimension....Outa this World.

I'm not sure how much Helen Merrill I've got.  I know I've got at least these two on CD.  Mark.

http://losslessjazz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Helen-Merrill-Gordon-Beck-Gra...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvtNsFpDaGtjziK55cR-17l9qQ...

Both good ones. I've been collecting her stuff a few decades, she's very different from other singers and I think she has great taste in material and personnel. I really like the albums she did with Dick Hyman.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3825 - 01/08/14 at 22:50:30

I have a question.  When I'm going to take a break of two hours or so from listening, is it better to turn everything off and then back on 15 minutes prior to resuming listening or just leave everything on?  Which is worse for tubes the extra on off cycle or the extra time on?  Mark.

Next LP...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3826 - 01/08/14 at 23:07:32

I leave it on. I probably am quite reckless in this regard. I always have signal going through. (Love the repeat button). I personaly think it's sort of a wash as far as tube life goes.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3827 - 01/09/14 at 03:01:26

One more before bed...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3828 - 01/09/14 at 18:39:56

From box set

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3829 - 01/09/14 at 19:31:35

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3830 - 01/09/14 at 21:17:58

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3831 - 01/09/14 at 21:36:22

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3832 - 01/09/14 at 21:45:08

This popped up in my Facebook Feed - It's mostly true.  :)

http://www.hdtracks.com/blog/?p=272

Edit to Add: Thinking about Hendrix on the ZMA tonight thanks to the above post!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3833 - 01/09/14 at 23:00:44

BENATAR

LIVE FROM EARTH!
ON Vinyl of course!

F'n cranked!

Live it man!
Living to be 78 to 84....is highly over rated if you have not figured it out yet.  I am 49...and I figured it out?  How about you?!

-Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3834 - 01/10/14 at 00:32:02

Listening to some Dizzy Gillespie ("On the Riviera")

200509_047a_depth1.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3835 - 01/10/14 at 00:50:54

Excerpts from:

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3836 - 01/10/14 at 16:52:27

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3837 - 01/10/14 at 18:11:04

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3838 - 01/10/14 at 18:39:22

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3839 - 01/10/14 at 19:10:26

The other night John Lee Hooker was on the stereo saying something like "let that boy boogie."

So I got on my Strat "Alligator" the next day and let the boy boogie.

And today I decided to spin some Culture Factory Hot Tuna reissues, they sound amazing. Lots of boogie on this one.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3840 - 01/10/14 at 19:27:19

every time I play this I get more enchanted.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3841 - 01/10/14 at 19:33:56

Syd wrote on 01/10/14 at 19:27:19:

Wake of the Flood does that to me. I can remember buying that when it came out and just tripping out on it for weeks and weeks.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3842 - 01/10/14 at 20:18:32

marky you are spinning some great tunes today.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3843 - 01/10/14 at 20:37:42

Helen and Ron. Wow.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3844 - 01/10/14 at 21:05:54

Lou sounds out of breath at times but thats Lou. Couple of good guitar slingers with him.

dbl lp

Thanks Lon, dont think it`ll be long before I get "Before The Flood" then.
"Blues For  Allah" is my best GD album so far but I only have 5 of them.
I like it when they chug along interweaving.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3845 - 01/11/14 at 00:11:25

I'm not going to get any listening in today but I am going to watch this tonight...
Great Performances
Episode: Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
(First Aired: Mar. 03, 2012)
Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess star in a fully-staged production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's ``The Phantom of the Opera,'' from London's Royal Albert Hall.

Also, today I picked up the below 2009 CD reissue...Remaster? of the UK Stereo edition of "Rubber Soul".  Listened to it on the way home from work.  Mark.

PS...When I got home the 23 LP, Mosaic Record's Set..."The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings" Vol. 1 of 3, was on my door step.  I haven't opened it yet.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3846 - 01/11/14 at 01:14:19

Now that I have an amp that can handle it, I think my Rock albums are going to get more play...really sounding good tonight!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3847 - 01/11/14 at 03:45:34

Excellent music, excellent sound.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3848 - 01/11/14 at 06:22:54

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None