Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1833458 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3850 - 01/11/14 at 07:51:44

Heh, I bet Alice in Chains sounds different now than it did on the se84 yeah?  :)    well, maybe your backrubbing 21 inch sub made up for it.

I remember when I went from m se84 to the torii3.  Big balls.

can't wait for my ZMA

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3851 - 01/11/14 at 08:03:03

Steve, I'm happy to say the ZMA is quickly getting back up to the sound I heard during Decfest.

I know it's cliche, but I've played these albums above many, many times before, and they all sounded *new* to me like they were modern remasters!

So yeah, deep, dynamic music like Alice was listenable on the Zen, in fact it was quite luscious - but now it's driving and full of texture that was only suggested with the smaller amp and the MG944.

Listening to a couple tracks off this one then going to bed.

Tonight was a great night for music listening, but I'm yawning more than listening at this point.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3852 - 01/11/14 at 08:05:33

Seriously, I'm only two tracks in and I'm hearing all sorts of detail I've never heard before...it really makes me feel like I wasn't paying attention, because the Zen amp is no slouch!

The only thing I can figure is the texture the ZMA is bringing out is really making things come to the fore that were there but maybe smoothed over before.

SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3853 - 01/11/14 at 09:10:09

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3854 - 01/11/14 at 13:47:38

Listening to the Munich concert. This is just the sort of thing Dad's system excels at. Music doesn't quite do ir for Mom and Dad though, but they'll make it through.

Eric, the sort of difference you are describing between the mysery amp and the Zen amp are just the sort of differences I hear between the modded C amp here in Dad's system and the Toriis I have at home (and more harmonic density and detail yet due to the PS Audio power base I have). So I know how much of a disctinct difference there is and how enjoyable it is.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3855 - 01/11/14 at 14:19:32

Lon,  I've listened to that  Jarrett solo concert and the other that comes in the set, at least twice since I began spinning LPs again the last month or so. In fact I've spun all the late 70's and early 80s solo concerts on Vinyl that I can find in my disorganized and boxed collection.  I still haven't found the massive "Sun Bear Concerts" yet.

I started the morning with a LP chosen at random from this set...LP #5...very nice.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3856 - 01/11/14 at 14:27:06

Quote:
Eric, the sort of difference you are describing between the mysery amp and the Zen amp are just the sort of differences I hear between the modded C amp here in Dad's system and the Toriis I have at home (and more harmonic density and detail yet due to the PS Audio power base I have). So I know how much of a disctinct difference there is and how enjoyable it is.

Thank you for that! I was starting to get worried that I was hyping up the ZMA too much. As you can tell from my first post about it, right out of the box I wasn't exactly gushing - those "fresh" caps were surely holding it back. But what you're saying makes me feel like instead, I'm on the right track.

But now this really makes me question what I thought was good on the old Zen amp! I really think I may have to plug the old Zen in and give it a listen with new perspective.

Taking a quiet morning as I'm still not 100% recovered from being sick this week. Dogs had me up at 8am after listening till 3am last night...

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3857 - 01/11/14 at 15:07:00

I love that Commodore stuff Mark, as I think I may have mentioned. Smiley I'll look into getting some of the Mosaic lps one of these days, I'm quite happy with my cd and cdr versions (and the non-Mosaic lps I have, though those are hit and miss, a few are fake stereo [Italian] which I loathe with a passion). Right now I don't want to spend megabucks and haven't seen deals like that which you did.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3858 - 01/11/14 at 15:22:46

Eric, I firmly believe from my own experience that there are a few things the little SET amps do better than any of the others, just as there are things the others do better than they can.

I think there's a "solidity," not sure how else to say it, to the sound with the SETs, an integrated holistic oneness that I think of as being due to the fact that the signal is not split and then amplified. And if you can work within the power limitations you can really get connected deep inside the music, it draws you IN. The larger amps though. . . they can really realistically bring the music TO YOU with scale and rock 'em sock 'em dynamic reality, and with Steve's designs he more and more gets that SET oneness out of the push-pull as well as the scale and drive. (The more I understand about the Mystery Amp the more I see how it is a step even further forward in that regard).

I would advise this: don't put the little guy in yet. Wait a month or so til the Mystery amp is that farther along to blooming. I wonder how much longer those huge caps take to seat and bloom compared to the smaller ones? Your little Zen is so seasoned I would wait until the Mystery is more of all it can be.

Question: is there ANY treble attenuation available at all on the amp? I just can't live without the treble cut circuit any longer. If I were ever to get this amp it would probably only be if there was a treble cut circuit.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3859 - 01/11/14 at 15:39:02

Moving response to ZMA thread since I feel it's more useful to future generations there than buried here in the What's Spinning thread.   Grin

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3860 - 01/11/14 at 16:25:45

Now on to record #22....

Lon, your talk of the SET Decware Amp has me thinking I might have to get one eventually.   Might match well with the Zu "Souls". The taboo isn't a SET right?  So it won't achieve what you're talking about?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3861 - 01/11/14 at 16:54:37

Mark, the Taboo is an SET, if it weren't it would have four output tubes. . . . So you've GOT it! Smiley

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3862 - 01/11/14 at 17:06:34

dbl 12" 45rpm  .rock on

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3863 - 01/11/14 at 17:13:17

So I already have a SET...good to know.  When the HR-1s arrive I'll move the Taboo and Souls to the Den where I spend many days with CNBC on.  That way I can inject a little music into my trading with the sound off on CNBC...might improve my results...hehe.

This LP now...I like this one better than "Stone Flower"...Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3864 - 01/11/14 at 17:35:08

This LP now...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3865 - 01/11/14 at 17:38:02

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3866 - 01/11/14 at 17:38:30

I like Wave a lot, but not better than Stone Flower, but I can see why one would prefer Wave.

I like Tide a lot as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3867 - 01/11/14 at 17:47:44

I'm pretty sure I have Tide but haven't found it yet.  It might be in a box in the POD that's been baking in the Texas sun in my driveway  for 2 1/2 years.  That can't be too good for Vinyl. Have to leave now.  Until Later,  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3868 - 01/11/14 at 18:04:08

Smiley look what I`ve found.  When the sun always shone, kaftan's and the tinkle of bells.

7"   floyd

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3869 - 01/11/14 at 18:13:17

12"singlle 33 3rd

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3870 - 01/11/14 at 18:28:09

v/g

12" 45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3871 - 01/11/14 at 18:40:07

ARGH. I know that Texsas sun really well. . . . Not good at all.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3872 - 01/11/14 at 18:55:49

yeah, lets get those rose tinted glasses off.
Bit puffed out with all those 45`s.
Now a lovely album

the floyd pic does look like they`re under the big Texan sun lol

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3873 - 01/11/14 at 19:27:36

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3874 - 01/11/14 at 19:29:56

Next Up!

Cool

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3875 - 01/11/14 at 19:56:48

Quick meter check, 3 dials same 4th (replacement tube) tad over.
Put a pair of socks in rear bass ports of ML`s to stop bass pressure
sucking ear drums in and out.

K.Crimson "Larks tongues in aspic" ( they seemed to go with paganish album titles) It`s a beautiful album.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3876 - 01/11/14 at 20:21:14

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3877 - 01/11/14 at 20:41:20

Marky,
     The volume control will also work! He He!
Save your socks. I'm rolling tubes today to keep my ears from bleeding yep haven't found the volume control myself today.

Grin

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3878 - 01/11/14 at 20:47:26

U2 The Joshua Tree

Cool

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #3879 - 01/11/14 at 21:47:07

Hey folks,

I don't really post in this section very much (if ever) but I frequent it quite a bit to see what you all are listening to. Well Lon posted sometime last year about an amazing "Jazz Harpist" (as she's known) named Dorothy Ashby and I was like "A Jazz Harpist??" I mean, I know of Alice Coltrane but that was it (and I don't really know A. Coltrane's catalog quite yet). But something about this Dorothy Ashby really intrigued me so...googled her and found out that she'd played with TONS of great artist like Stevie Wonder, Diane Warwick etc etc.....I ordered a CD of hers from amazon. Along with a bunch of others...as I tend to buy from there in bulk maybe twice a year. And then her disk called "Afro Harping" sat in my CD shelf after it arrived, until I was ready to take it in. That was maybe a year ago?

Well, the time came a couple of days ago to give it a listen and.........OH. MY. This disk is like "WHOA"....she was WAY ahead of her time...i mean, I can't even think of anyone else out now who is doing anything she was doing on this particular disk I have. As soon as it starts its like BAM! Big drums, rim shots that snap...percussion slapping away on either the right of left channel...DEEP electric bass that GROOVES.....hit hat ticking away steadily and......that wonderful harp front and center! It's Jazzy, but also has elements of world music, funk. There's some strings on some tracks (I love strings). It's just some awesome stuff that contains slower and uptempo songs.

The music is spectacular. The sound (for you audiophiles haha) is TOP NOTCH. On my little Trapezium desktop speakers I can literally follow every aspect of the sound I want (there is really great depth and texture to the sound).....or just sit back and take it all in. If I was demoing these speakers for a possible sale...and it was the potential buyers cup of tea music wise? I'd play this disk. It sounds great at low levels...though raising the volume is proving to be addictive because I just wanna swim in the music. All this ranting and raving is because I'm having an emotional connection with this disk and I'm SO happy when that can happen. Because, as most of you know by now, that's not always the case....no matter what kind of gear your using. But when the SOUND and the actual MUSIC itself is of this caliber.....I'm rarely happier. I almost fell off my seat, bopping along to the music hahaha..

Lon, thanks SO SO MUCH for mentioning this amazing artist! And thank you all for continuing to contribute to what I feel is the most valuable thread in these here Decware forums. Keep the suggestions coming! And maybe I'll start posting a bit more about what I'm listening to if I can.......it's always something that makes me happy and can maybe make someone else happy if they don't know the artist.

Oh and lastly......if ANY of what I wrote about "Afro Harping" by Dorothy Ashby sounds appealing to you. Just buy it. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Harping-Dorothy-Ashby/dp/B00008LKG0

Really......I really can't see how you'd be sorry! If it sounds this good on my Traps, then you guys with larger speakers (Decware or otherwise) will really have some sound to "sink into" Smiley

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3880 - 01/11/14 at 22:14:17

socks are drying out nicely thanks dig.
No it`s just these amps really shift air pressure
even at my low levels. Daytime lately I can feel my ears
trying to readjust. Could be the speaker woofer type ...Or leave
the door open.    Smiley
I put this on thinking what c'''''is this and it`s kinda good. lots of jimi guitar against not bad rythms.

Just seen above post thank HPDJ !

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3881 - 01/11/14 at 23:07:14

Wow! I'm so glad you liked that disc! Yes, Dorothy was an outstanding player with her feet in many fields of music.

Please DO let us know what you've been listening to. Smiley

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3882 - 01/11/14 at 23:37:34

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3883 - 01/12/14 at 00:08:39

Marky,
     I wonder how much the weather has to do with it. I know what your talking about at times. I don't have any really large woofers or subs to deal with though. The music today seems a bit bassy and thought a slight amount muddy hence all of the tube rolling going on here today. Settled on the 6DJ8 in the input side and cryoed 6922 in the output side in the CSP3. Cleared and tightened things up a bit.

Lindsay Lohan

A change of pace

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3884 - 01/12/14 at 01:35:13

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3885 - 01/12/14 at 03:21:57

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3886 - 01/12/14 at 06:26:24

I have no idea where I got this album, probably in a CD trade - Surprisingly a really great album! Well recorded, a crazy mix of styles and instruments - almost like a circus of music.

Found the full album - worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoQSThtD6s&list=PLC47C58748772D11B

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3887 - 01/12/14 at 12:45:12

When I listen to some music in a while this CD from the Mono Miles box will be first...

I received all but the Ellington Columbia Box I had ordered from Germany's Amazon in the mail yesterday...it was on my porch when I arrived home about 8:30pm.  The box looked crushed, all four sides had split seams through which I could literally stick my hand inside...it looked like an elephant had sat on it.  The box was about 4x larger than needed and crumpled paper rather than surrounding the CDs only reduced the size of the interior so the CD boxes were in one outside corner, able to rattle around.  Surprisingly the only damage was that the cardboard box that holds the CD LP replicas of the Davis box was crushed...torn on the bottom and dented on top and sides.  But despite this, all CDs inside were unharmed...so I guess they won't receive a complaint.  I will limit my comment to the current Bitching and move on with the Music...hehe. The Tubes are warming.  I can't wait to see how this sounds with the Audeze Cans. Mark.

PS...I have things setup with both amps on...Torii and Taboo...with volumes adjusted so I can go back and forth from headphone to speaker listening... I haven't listened to this album in probably 10 years since I purchased the CD reissue in the 2000's. The treble on speakers is a bit much even with the treble control at it's lowest level on the Torii MK IV.  Headphones are much better in this regard.  The Music...glorious!  Mark.

PSS...turned off the Torii...this will be an Audeze Can affair only.  Next up will be some Sarah Vaughn...Stay Tuned.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3888 - 01/12/14 at 13:38:59

Glad you got the box, though a bit disheveled. I don't remember having that problem, but it can happen in international purchases if not packaged for all that travel.

Great music you got! Wish the Ellington had come.

As for the treble. . .that's really just the way Miles had this recorded, his horn is so hot, and the muted passges have his tradmark "mute stuck rignt into the mike" sound and this is actually one of the less trebly masterings of the material I've heard. . . ..

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3889 - 01/12/14 at 14:12:42

Lon, the Ellington set was actually sent prior to these...should come soon. In regards to the treble on Miles...yes, you are right...the LP reissue of "Milestones" that I have spun a couple times recently, also has the "hot" treble.  More bothersome than the trumpet is the cymbals...Philly Joe Jones could get pretty busy on the the first two Quintet albums for Columbia...can't remember about the rest with Jimmy Cobb...we'll see.

This one is on now with Clifford Brown, from the 4 CD box set "Divine:  The Jazz Albums  1954-1958"...I'm not sure if any remastering occurred but it sounds great.  Mark.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/divine-the-jazz-albums-1954-1958-mw0002457185
http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Albums-1954-1958-Sarah-Vaughan/dp/B00AO7HPS4

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3890 - 01/12/14 at 14:24:01

I have that set. I believe the material has all been remastered. Like you say, great sound.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3891 - 01/12/14 at 14:47:44

Good Morning!

Back in the time this country was Great!

Great CD!

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3892 - 01/12/14 at 14:56:23

This up next from the same box set...CD #1...

I have been online trying to find specific info on the remastering on this set...no luck...Just a bunch of whining about the relatively high price of the set.  Well the packaging is far better than most and it contains something like 7 LPs of music and a dozen bonus tracks only available from a Japanese reissue.  I'm more than happy with my purchase...a great value in my book.

On remastering, I found this in the technical credits in the back of the written info..."Mastered from the original analogue tapes by Kevin Reeves".

There are many more reissue  box sets from Verve in this series...I will investigate and likely buy more...despite the "High" price.

Lon, what other Verve Select Box sets in this series have you purchased?  There are several that I won't be able to resist.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3893 - 01/12/14 at 15:06:01

Pretty sure it's new masteing Mark, several of the previous reissues I have of this I don't think were reissued by Reeves. He has been doing the mastering of most of the Hip-O Select jazz box sets for Verve.

I have purchased the Parker, the Holiday, the Ella, the Nat Cole, the Peterson, the Getz, all the Coltrane, the two Armstrongs, the Wes and the Hollywood Bowl.

I might get the Dinah one of these days, I have all the box sets put out in the nineties though. And I haven't gotten the Brown because I have Japanese mini-lps of almost all titles that I think sound fantastic, as well as the early complete box.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3894 - 01/12/14 at 15:16:24

Brianne has me playing this one again while we get ready to go to a wedding expo (yey?)

I posted a you tube link up above.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3895 - 01/12/14 at 15:23:19

Have an hour at home. Listening to this.

While I play along on my "Bolt" replica guitar through this beautiful amp that I really should use more often (photo is from the sales floor when I bought it)

KGrHqJlwFGZ-M4dRBRn8vBetg60_57.JPG

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3896 - 01/12/14 at 16:46:23

Yes a lot of variables digger. Awesome amps, big panels, rear bass port, not overly large room. Sitting here in the front room I`m looking where the gear will go. Makes more sense having it down here, more comfy. Meantime I`m taking my standmount Focals upstairs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3897 - 01/12/14 at 16:48:29

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3898 - 01/12/14 at 17:12:34

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3899 - 01/12/14 at 18:04:38

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 512
Send Topic Print