Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1832919 times)
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #3950 - 01/17/14 at 19:28:19

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3951 - 01/18/14 at 15:43:50

Stumbled into another great album. Well recorded for this type of music.
The style is kinda hard for me to describe. Kind of a hip-hop, pop, folk, and soul.

http://youtu.be/-IunmW3wI5Q

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3952 - 01/18/14 at 16:42:53

Spinning now...LP #16 of The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings Volume I

Record 16
16-A1      Joe Bushkin –       I'll Never Be The Same
Piano – Joe Bushkin
16-A2      Joe Bushkin –       Caldonia Is Gone      
16-A3      Joe Bushkin –       Caldonia Is Gone No. 2      
16-A4      Joe Bushkin –       Morgan's Blues      
16-A5      Joe Bushkin –       Morgan's Blues No. 2      
16-A6      Joe Bushkin –       Sweet Georgia Brown      
16-A7      Joe Bushkin –       Bozay      
16-B1      Chu Berry & His Jazz Ensemble* –       Blowing Up A Breeze
Bass – Al Morgan
Drums – Harry Yaeger
Guitar – Al Casey
Piano – Clyde Hart
Saxophone – Chu Berry*
Trumpet – Oran Hot Lips Page*
16-B2      Chu Berry & His Jazz Ensemble* –       Blowing Up A Breeze No. 2      
16-B3      Chu Berry & His Jazz Ensemble* –       Blowing Up A Breeze No. 3      
16-B4      Chu Berry & His Jazz Ensemble* –       On The Sunny Side Of The Street      
16-B5      Chu Berry & His Jazz Ensemble* –       On The Sunny Side Of The Street No. 2      
16-B6      Chu Berry & His Jazz Ensemble* –       On The Sunny Side Of The Street No. 3

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3953 - 01/18/14 at 18:11:00

live, plenty of audience, long album

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3954 - 01/18/14 at 18:24:26

I have been slow to take my TT in to the dealer for the distortion and hum problem.  To eliminate one more variable I hooked up another Phono Stage to rule out the ZP3.  Still have hum and distortion as before only the sound isn't near as pleasing as with the ZP3...go figure.

I've listened to several LPs this morning other than the one I listed above.  Now i'm giving this LP another go...It's growing on me.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3955 - 01/18/14 at 18:39:53

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3956 - 01/18/14 at 19:02:12

Well, enough headphone listening with an inferior Phono Stage.  It's time for the Torii and speakers.  Yesterday, in the mail, I got the four volumes of Ella's "Twelve Nights In Hollywood", the two CD set "Ella in Japan" and the Complete Duke Ellington Columbia Studio Albums Collection 1951-1958...all on CD.  So first in the Jolida CDP is Ella in Japan... S' Wonderful!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3957 - 01/18/14 at 20:15:43

Next up...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3958 - 01/18/14 at 20:30:14

Ah Madame Zzaj and her ten dollar bill! Love that album.

Right now
The 40th anniversary edition (soon I'll also have two Japanese versions: one mastered by RVG and the new Blu-Spec version which is supposd to be original mix, no eq or compression).

This album is like Jobim's "Kind of Blue" to my ears.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3959 - 01/18/14 at 21:00:09

And now something completely different.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3960 - 01/18/14 at 21:06:40

next...

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3961 - 01/18/14 at 22:19:47

Spinning Now!

Spinning Next!

Cool

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3962 - 01/18/14 at 23:52:29

Dave Alvin is playing here tonight.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3963 - 01/19/14 at 00:32:27

A Little change of pace

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3964 - 01/19/14 at 01:27:25

Time to change things up again!

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3965 - 01/19/14 at 02:34:48

Next Up

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3966 - 01/19/14 at 03:01:55

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3967 - 01/19/14 at 07:01:10

Slow night for me. Working on stuff for my other hobby, and my WiFi went down earlier...too busy/lazy to work on it.

Warmed up the amp with a classic.

I was seriously in the mood for something like this...but this album is so bad, I couldn't make it 4 songs into it and had to shut it off.

Not my type of music, but it seems well recorded.

I think I need to come back to this one when I can turn it up a bit more. It didn't really catch my attention, but I think it could when I get it up to more "live" volume.

Obviously I'm trying out some new stuff tonight.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3968 - 01/19/14 at 15:46:23

Back in the Listening Cave.  This CD from the Mono Box...

PS...this Mono remaster is very pleasing.  The last version of this I listened to was the 80's LP stereo reissue and I recall the treble being much hotter...philly joe jones' cymbals were too much.  I can't remember if it was back when I only had the Taboo with headphones.  I've learned most Miles is best with speakers with the Torii's treble control as low as possible. Very nice version.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3969 - 01/19/14 at 16:57:29

Next CD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3970 - 01/19/14 at 17:27:57

Some early Joni Mitchell from 1970...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3971 - 01/19/14 at 18:32:03

CD #1 of this 3 CD set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3972 - 01/19/14 at 19:46:57

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3973 - 01/19/14 at 21:11:34

This from the Miles Mono Box...

PS...I started with the last three tracks that were recorded in May of 1958 by the same personnel as "Milestones"...the first Great Quintet plus Cannonball Adderley. Just absolutely beautiful.  Now for the soundtrack.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3974 - 01/19/14 at 21:47:43

Hey Lon,  I'm really liking "Jazz Track"

Do you have either "THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - WINTERLAND (8 LP BOX SET)" or the 2 LP "HENDRIX IN THE WEST"....180gm reissues?  If so how are they?  I think you said you got the "Miami Pop" release too.  How's it?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3975 - 01/19/14 at 22:18:53

A little of this before I have to go...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3976 - 01/20/14 at 15:08:59

Lon, thanks for your reply...even though it was in the wrong thread...hehe.

I still haven't gotten around to listening to the complete soundtrack on the Fontana CD.  The three Miles studio tracks were great...yes I already had those too but it's been at least 10 years since the last listen.

This morning I'm listening to the Winterland box on spotify.  I knew that I'd be buying it with the first song of the first show...a 15+ minute "Tax Free". I don't understand why they didn't release each of the six concerts in their entirety in the order played?  Here they have reordered and worse, edited out Hendrix solos...WTF?  Anyway, I will buy it and enjoy it but for the true fans/collectors...the whole enchilada would have been preferred. The casual fan won't be buying this anyway...better a one CD highlights for them.  I think I'll hold on the other two sets for now.  Eight LPs of Jimi should keep me happy for a while.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3977 - 01/20/14 at 15:49:02

Sorry if I replied in the wrong thread.

I don't know why they didn't just do all the shows. I think they are afraid to put out a larger than four disc set thinking that will keep some fans away, and they could be right.

Most of the Hendrix they removed was tuning up etc. They did edit out a few other guest players. Ah well. The sound is excellent.

I love that Sextet session on Jazz Track. This is the first time I've heard it in mono.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3978 - 01/20/14 at 22:05:09

Listening to Stone Flower again. On my original set of HR-1s.

That buzz and distortion I heard when I cranked a few items on the 17th doesn't go away and it was one of the new HR-1s as the problem followed the speaker. I'll be sending it back for inspection.

Turns out that the quad of 6CA7s I thought were past their prime are sounding fantastic once I changed the speaker pairs and put them back in. Love these JJs.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3979 - 01/21/14 at 03:31:39

Lon, sorry to hear about your Speaker problem.

I listened to the first three CDs of the Winterland Hendrix box.  I've ordered it in Vinyl and also the Dylan Mono Box in CD format.

Listened to a little Ellington and Mingus tonight...

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3980 - 01/21/14 at 04:03:54

Lon, I just got Winterland two days ago.

It made me want to go back to the beginning and listen to all I had.

Planning a marathon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3981 - 01/21/14 at 04:17:43

Ah, it's okay. The original pair sounds fantastic, and I really don't have time to listen to the second system these days. Worst part is finding the time to pack and ship. That will not be easy.

One last one spinning right before bed.

I've got mono and stereo of this one just because it's so damned good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3982 - 01/21/14 at 16:49:50

Back in the Listening Cave.  I'm finishing up Mingus' "Let My Children Hear Music".  The track..."The Chill Of Death"...very Heavy...Man...hehe.

Next up will be this sealed Japanese Blue Note reissue...Hank Mobley's 1967 release "High Voltage".  Love Mobley.  This has some nice players...Jackie McLean, Blue Mitchell, John Hicks, Billy Higgins and Bob Cranshaw.  Mark.

PS...A question for anyone who has the answer....I want to get a pair of RCA 5U4Gs but I'm wondering how big a sonic difference is there between it and the RCA 5U4GB...with the straight tube?  They are much cheaper and easier to find in pairs.  Also they don't fit so tightly with the KT-66s in the Torii MK IV.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3983 - 01/21/14 at 17:07:59

Mobley was a cool cat. Made a lot of nice records.

I find the straight shouldered RCAs have a thicker and richer sound, if you want bass weight they are the choice. The bottle shape have a similar signature with a different texture, less heavy, a bit more open in the lower mids and upper bass. Either is a good choice in the Torris, and you can build around them with other tubes and get great sound.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3984 - 01/21/14 at 17:46:28

Thanks Lon.  The next up will be CD #2 of this 4 CD set that has remained sealed for 10...15 years...Insane, I know.  I went straight to track #5...Potato Head Blues...then started from #1.  Mark.

PS...here's a link to an article written by George Avakian in 2000.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/20273-the-first-jazz-reissue-program

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3985 - 01/21/14 at 18:59:52

Next we go from 1927 to the summer of 1956...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3986 - 01/21/14 at 20:44:56

Next we stay in Hollywood where Shorty Rogers recorded but 5 years later Live at the Cresendo Club in 1961 with Ella....ahh.  This must be what Heaven is like!  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3987 - 01/21/14 at 21:07:01

Just got this new cd in the mail. This was probably the Beatles lp I had that I ended up playing the most through the 'seventies.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3988 - 01/21/14 at 21:29:46

Lon, was that part of a box set?  I see a US Beatles album box was just released this month. I think they have both the Stereo and Mono versions of all but two of the albums on each CD.  I decided I would forego it and pick up some new remasters of individual albums after "Rubber Soul" which I just bought.  I actually have most Beatles releases on CD somewhere.  I like their later output best.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3989 - 01/21/14 at 23:18:44

Next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3990 - 01/21/14 at 23:22:53

Hey Mark, yeah, that IS part of the new 'US Albums" box set, but also available separately. I didn't get the box set, just this one release from that. I really am not that big a Beatles fan, and like you I enjoy the later works best. I do have the Mono box and most of the stereo releases from 2009 separately. I wanted this one on cd because I loved the album, even though I think I have all the material or almost all of it in the same mixes from the 2009 releases.

"Old Brown Shoe" and "The Ballad of John and Yoko" sounded like old friends on this album (and in this sequencing).

You're right, this new box set has stereo and mono versions on the same disc of 11 lps I think, but this one was only released officially in stereo, so there's only stereo mixes on this one (though I think each track was on a single, and appeared in mono; they are in mono on the Mono box set's "Past Masters.") One other album, "The Beatles Story" is only available in stereo as this too was only released in stereo. That album will only be (apparently) available in the box set, not separately; it's an interview album.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3991 - 01/22/14 at 20:06:36

Back in the Listening Cave.  I'm listening to Sarah Vaughn's album "After Hours" but this is one of three different LPs on three different Labels with this title.  This particular one was issued by Columbia Records and has recordings from 1949 to 1951.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3992 - 01/22/14 at 21:39:36

Listening to this one. Love me some "Wolf"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3993 - 01/22/14 at 21:42:25

Next I'm going to listen to the following albums out of the "The Complete Emarcy Recordings of Clifford Brown".   I'll skip the alternates and stick with the masters.  I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the 4 LP set of Brown and Roach's Quintet. This music is fantastic.  Mark.

Emarcy MG36008  Brown And Roach, Incorporated
Emarcy MG36036  Clifford Brown And Max Roach
Emarcy MG36037  Study In Brown
Emarcy MG36070  Clifford Brown And Max Roach At Basin Street

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3994 - 01/23/14 at 16:40:13

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3995 - 01/23/14 at 18:34:42

Right now I'm listening to the neck pickup of my newest guitar, a guitar built by luthier Troy Post inspired by the Doug Irwin "Wolf."

_57_001.JPG

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3996 - 01/23/14 at 18:48:20

Lon,  I'm not sure what you're talking about but that is a beautiful thing to behold.

I'm still making my way through Clifford Brown/ Max Roach Quintet material.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3997 - 01/23/14 at 19:20:28

Mark, it is a beautiful guitar. Back in the early 'seventies a young guitar builder sold a guitar to Jerry Garcia that became known as "Wolf". . . it had some pretty innovative features such as a "hippy sandwhich" body of various woods, and a neck through design. Over the years this guitar has been copied by many builders, and this is a young luthier named Troy Post's simplified (and not expensive) version, black walnut with a poplar binding layer, and I had him put in the same pickups that Garcia had settled on in it, Dimarzio SDS-1 and 2 Super 2 humbuckers.

This is the real Wolf:

http://www.wald-electronics.com/images/wolf/wolf_specs.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3998 - 01/23/14 at 19:21:31

Taking a break from Clifford.  I have this Sarah Vaughn album on.  It's the last of four in the "Complete Columbia Albums Collection". Definitely not a favorite.  It was recorded in 1987, it's more Smooth Jazz/Pop, heavily produced with strings etc, as many albums of the time were.  But it's still that glorious voice.  Mark.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3999 - 01/23/14 at 19:34:55

OMG. I tried so hard to get this when it was released (a few years before the US version) and it was just impossible. Saw this very reasonably priced on amazon market and went for it. Gold cds, seven of them, sealed box set, less than 100 dollars, that's less than when it was released by far. I crossed my fingers that it was the real deal, came today. . . it's da bomb. So nice to finally have it (even though I've had the US version since release; this one has solos edited out of a half dozen tracks and a mellower sound).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 512
Send Topic Print