Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1832287 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4000 - 01/23/14 at 19:47:57

Lon, that picture of "Wolf" reminded me of Warren Haynes' Symphonic Tribute to Jerry where he played Jerry's guitar with various symphonies...none close enough to me to go but I did catch some clips from fans on you tube.  Here's one, there are plenty more. Mark.

PS...Lon, in your post above...what albums are you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHuAWQYjaNU

here's a link to more...http://www.jambase.com/Articles/118799/Setlist-And-Audio-Jerry-Garcia-Symphonic-...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4001 - 01/23/14 at 19:59:35

I don't do youtube, but yeah, I know the concert series you were talking of.

It's such an awesome guitar Wolf is. Glad it's getting used.

I forgot to add the image Mark, it's the Japanese gold cd edition of Complete at the Plugged Nickel, which came out a few years before the US version.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4002 - 01/23/14 at 20:30:22

So Lon,  I have the Plugged Nickel box from 1995.  How's this one different?  I haven't listened to it in over a decade.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4003 - 01/23/14 at 20:49:58

Different mastering, done by a Japanese engineer. And there are solos (piano or sax) edited out of a half a dozen of the selections, not sure why. These seven discs are about ten minutes shorter in total than the US set. So having that, you don't need this.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4004 - 01/23/14 at 21:20:11

Another break from Clifford...I'd forgotten how good he was. This Miles album after which I have one more from the Mono box, "Porgy and Bess"  and I will have listened to them all.  I highly recommend it to Miles fans or those new to his Music...very good.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4005 - 01/24/14 at 00:03:34

Well Lon,  I received the weekly Dusty Goove news letter today and gave in to temptation...again.  Here's a list of my purchases.  All are CDs except a duplicate sealed vinyl copy of one of my favorite Keith Jarrett LPs..."My Song".  How'd I do...I know you have some or all of these.  Mark.

Nara Leao
Nara '67 (Vento Do Maio/Nara 1967)
Philips/El (UK)

Buddy DeFranco
Jazz Tones
Verve (Japan), 1953/1954.

Clarke Boland Big Band
Complete Live Recordings At Ronnie Scott's – Volcano/Rue Chaptal
MPS/Rearward (Italy), 1969.

Kenny Drew Trio
Kenny Drew Trio (Riverside) (Japanese XRCD pressing)
Riverside (Japan), 1956.  

Morelenbaum 2/Sakamoto
Casa
Sony, 2002.    

Keith Jarrett
My Song
ECM, 1978.

Buddy DeFranco
Autumn Leaves – The Artistry Of Buddy DeFranco
Verve (Japan), 1954.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4006 - 01/24/14 at 01:26:51

Another break from Clifford...just one more CD left.  This  wonderful Mingus album from the newly acquired "Complete Columbia & RCA Albums Collection". If you only want one Mingus album....this is it. Although i don't think life would be complete without more....much more! Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4007 - 01/24/14 at 01:46:01

Yeah, I spend way too much money at Dusty Groove, but it's a good place with great product. Someone I correspond with was just in Chicago and in the store itself.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4008 - 01/24/14 at 02:59:12

Unwinding after a rough day with my mother's dementia looming large with this just received in the mail, I never knew there was an RVG series of CTI reissues done in 2009 in Japan on SHMCD. Found someone with a reasonably priced used copy of Stone Flower. Quite detailed and dynamic and has its charm, but the dreamy mistiness of this album is wiped away. Doesn't have the alternate of "Brasil" . . . which is okay.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4009 - 01/24/14 at 12:58:36

My parents wanted to sleep in so I slipped on some jazz I keep over at their place. . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4010 - 01/24/14 at 13:17:50

Very nice choice, Lon.

I stayed up way too late last night listening to the below on Spotify.  I own the CD but have no idea where it is.  I wanted to decide if I wanted to buy Mike's very fairly priced Vinyl reissues but in the end I decided not to.  I think I will be content for now with the Winterland set.  I have always preferred Jimi's extended live stuff.  Plus I already have thousands of albums I haven't listened to...do I really need to add more? Maybe if it is an album I would listen to often. But for someone else who is thinking about Mikes vinyl...it's a great price.  I researched it thoroughly.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4011 - 01/24/14 at 14:13:13

I agreea bout the great price. I have this on the Legacy vinyl reissue and the Classics probably sounds a hair better, but I'm happy with what I have and have two cd versions as well (yeah, I'm a Hendrix nut).

Right now
several discs from this excellent set are in the changer

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4012 - 01/24/14 at 14:30:13

Lon, I have a lot of Hendrix but not everything. I don't listen to it very often.  Only when in the mood and most of the time I'm in the mood for Jazz...as you no doubt already figured out.

To help those considering purchasing Mike's LPs...the lowest price I could find was $80 for the Classics set...most were asking much higher and the Smash Hits...there were many in the $20 range but I am sure many weren't the numbered, limited edition version Mike is selling.  Some that specified this version were asking double or more.  For the right person, this is a steal.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4013 - 01/24/14 at 15:06:03

The Hendrix is worth it just for "Catfish Blues"
I find the album a great source for Jimis stripped down blues.
Red House was his fav work-out. Too much of a good thing sometimes
but 200 grms...and a double taboot, I`d snap it up. My official cassette copy
sounds great on the Nak but the 200 grm oh boy !

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4014 - 01/24/14 at 15:35:33

Mark, I have the official catalog, all releases in cd and most on lp, some several types/copies. I also have about 200 bootlegs I traded for for years. As a guitarist, though I don't really play like him, Jimi is the pinnacle in my opinion, such an amazing human being. Really he's the one rock guy whose work I would take on to a desert island.

I listen more to jazz but I would never not listen to Jimi.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4015 - 01/24/14 at 16:39:50

I wish you were more into digital, Lon. I'd love to have rips of those bootlegs!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4016 - 01/24/14 at 16:47:28

I hear you. Don't do any ripping these days. . . my trading days are long gone, they really ended when my wife got sick about nine years ago. I was a trading fool before that for about a decade. Now my conscience bugs me when I think about it. I've bought the "real deal" of anything I've traded for since, but in the case of boots no such thing (except those now in the Miles Davis and Dylan'bootleg seres").

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4017 - 01/24/14 at 18:03:05

Well, someday bootlegs will (hopefully) make it to those with the hardware to do them justice. I'd hate for those recordings to go extinct.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4018 - 01/24/14 at 20:04:19

Disc 2 of the Japanese Miles Davis Plugged Nickel set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4019 - 01/24/14 at 21:19:16

You would really like this Mark. One could easly mistake it for a Jarrett Trio record.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4020 - 01/24/14 at 21:56:33

Lon, I listened to a few tracks on Spotify.  I like it but I don't think I'd ever mistake him for Keith Jarrett.  I'll listen to more later.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4021 - 01/24/14 at 22:45:35

Spose some of you will have this dbl, "Magic Fingers" Ottowa 68 gig. Some nice talking to the audience from Jimi.  
I like the pic.
Swinging Pig boots are almost common, I`ve got a couple of Floyd ones on multi coloured vinyl.

No listening for a while, amps getting ready to ship for beauty treatment.
 :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4022 - 01/24/14 at 22:47:18

Sounds very Jarrett like on some of these to me. Or an aspect of Jarrett. . . he has many "forms."

Anyway, that was all the listening for me, back to my parents til I can get them to bed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4023 - 01/24/14 at 22:52:06

That is indeed a good one.

Syd wrote on 01/24/14 at 22:45:35:
Spose some of you will have this dbl, "Magic Fingers" Ottowa 68 gig. Some nice talking to the audience from Jimi.  
I like the pic.
Swinging Pig boots are almost common, I`ve got a couple of Floyd ones on multi coloured vinyl.

http://www.psychedelicvinyl.com/uploads/3/9/4/1/3941586/s471326903581746_p207_i1...

No listening for a while, amps getting ready to ship for beauty treatment.
 :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4024 - 01/25/14 at 13:21:20

I thought this would be a good choice as I sip my coffee this chilly morning...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4025 - 01/25/14 at 14:09:36

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4026 - 01/25/14 at 15:38:55

I went digging yesterday and found 11 more Ella CDs...two sealed.  Playing CD #1 of this three CD set now.  This is the 1988 reissue but I have the more recent one boxed up somewhere.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4027 - 01/25/14 at 17:18:32

Next, CD #2 from this 3 CD set.  It's a live set recorded at Storyville in Boston October of 1951 with Jimmy Raney and Stan Getz.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4028 - 01/25/14 at 18:04:28

Lon, I have to go get ready to leave but wanted to ask a question. Do you have either of the below recordings.  If so what do you think?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4029 - 01/25/14 at 19:00:42

Tell Tale Signs is awesome. Made me go back and listen to the last half dozen Dylan albums with new ears.

I don't exactly have Europe '72 Vol.2. What I have instead is the complete Europe '72 "suitcase" of 72 discs of the whole European tour. I LOVE these recordings. I've listened to the whole suitcase, in sequence, three times since it was released.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4030 - 01/25/14 at 20:31:51

Saturday snowy afternoon listening!

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4031 - 01/25/14 at 21:50:40

Spinning Now!

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4032 - 01/26/14 at 03:21:31

I think the Joe Henderson track (Isotope, with Bobby Hutcherson) is only available on this disc. It's a good one.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4033 - 01/26/14 at 13:20:55

T-Bone, Imperial sides.

images.jpeg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4034 - 01/26/14 at 16:24:32

I'm not going to be able to get to the Listening Cave until maybe later tonight. But I wanted to mention that the two box sets from Pop Market arrived yesterday.  I haven't opened the Winterland 8 LP set, which by the way, is still listed for $55. But I did open the Dylan Mono CD Box.  I love how they did this.  The only improvement would be if the inner sleeves were lined with plastic to prevent possible scuffing of the CDs.  If it were my choice, this is how all CD Box Sets should be done.  Listening will have to wait.

Also for Dylan fans, after Lon highly recommended "Tell Tale Signs", I looked on Spotify and it's there for free for those who want to sample before buying as I do. I was amazed at how much Dylan is available there...It looks like all the studio albums plus many in the Bootleg series.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4035 - 01/27/14 at 19:34:16

Back in the Listening Cave.  First up...CD #2 of this...

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4036 - 01/27/14 at 19:38:15

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4037 - 01/27/14 at 20:55:46

This next from the Mono Box...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4038 - 01/27/14 at 23:24:14

This from the Ellington Box Set now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4039 - 01/28/14 at 00:05:21

Next this album out of "Art Pepper: The Complete Galaxy Recordings". Beautiful Duets with Cables on Piano and Art on Alto Sax or Clarinet. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4040 - 01/28/14 at 01:36:22

Next is CD #13 from the previous box set.  This is one of 4 CDs documenting three nights played By Art Pepper and his quartet in August of 1981 at the Maiden Voyage Club in LA.  Out of the 4 1/2 hours of Music on these nights, three albums were released, one each in 1982, 1983 and 1984.  Amazing stuff.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4041 - 01/28/14 at 02:34:30

Only 30 minutes left to listen so I will continue with CD #14 of the above box set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4042 - 01/28/14 at 04:23:46

Got this Blu-spec cd in the "CTI Supreme Collection" in the mail today. This is my fourth digital version of this album, and it may well be the best. The only real fault I have with it is that the credits on the back of the case are not precisely correct as far as what instruments Jobim and Deodato play.

Love this music, I've almost become obsessive about it. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4043 - 01/28/14 at 17:53:03

Listening to a tape of a couple of my friends in action.

WD-41 (Willie Oteri, left, Dave Laczko, right) at Kenny Dorham's Backyard, Austin TX

Dave is still using the Marshall amp I gave him four years ago.

1511972_10151858109704499_1476467609_o.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4044 - 01/28/14 at 19:58:34

In the Listening Cave for 2 1/2 hours.  We'll start with this...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4045 - 01/28/14 at 21:06:41

Next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4046 - 01/28/14 at 21:55:44

CD #2 of this...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4047 - 01/28/14 at 22:01:25

The new Japanese cd on Solid which is so well-mastered you can hear the flaws in the session tape quite clearly. Doesn't matter as this is great music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4048 - 01/29/14 at 13:52:15

Was listening to Sarah Jarosz's "Build me Up from Bones" cd this morning before coming over here to my parents, VERY nice cd.

I first saw her last week on the Late Late Show, this clip is of the performance. Really moved me, got me to buy the cd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euFSVKYFUXQ

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4049 - 01/29/14 at 14:24:22

love that album Lon she's something special

JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 512
Send Topic Print