Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4050 - 01/29/14 at 14:41:42

Yes, she's something else. I've gone through her home town of Wimberley, Texas many times, it's on a road that winds through the country side that I have likes to ride through on my motorcycle for many years.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4051 - 01/29/14 at 14:57:08

I'll add my praise for Sarah Jarsoz.  In the past I listened to a lot of her music on youtube.  There were several concerts including one from Austin City Limits.

Lon,  I'm surprised that she is new to you since she performed in Austin a lot and lived nearby your old stomping grounds.  Mark.

Sarah...a beautiful Texas girl with an even more beautiful heart...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4052 - 01/29/14 at 15:33:40

Mark, I'm really picky about nonjazz music material, and I'm often "out of it" when it comes to trendy new artists and events, etc. After a few years playing in bands in Austin and having equipment stolen and literally being barfed on twice by drunken frat boys (!!!) I just dropped out of the Austin music scene, going out was rarely fun (especially with my worry-wart wife) and I just fell out of the habit and only did so for really compelling acts (like Ornette Coleman, the Mingus Big Band, etc.).

Believe it or not, I never heard of her in Austin the four years I lieved there after her debut album. But then I never listen to the radio and I don't frequent places she was iikely to be performing. I know now she performed at SXSW; after a few brief exposures I avoided SXSW like the plague.

And I've sampled her first two releases and I'm not sure I'd like them as much as this new one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4053 - 01/29/14 at 16:15:03

Mellowing my Mom out with Chopin and Rubinstein, two of my favorite musical things.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4054 - 01/29/14 at 16:22:20

Lon,  about Sarah...I get it.  I don't listen to the radio or go to venues where  I'd see acts like her's.  She's been here in the Dallas area and I've been tempted but didn't go.  I usually find new music via my you tube adventures that lead me to areas unknown, although these musical adventures are less frequent since I again have a functioning Hi-Fi system and thousands of recordings to choose from. The Sarah I've listened to was all live clips.  I'll have to go listen to her albums.  All three are on Spotify plus one of live music.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4055 - 01/29/14 at 18:00:36

As I bundle up for the walk to my home in 7 degree weather I sure wish I were in Dallas! Smiley

Going to pack up my HR-1 speaker for transit back to Bob today. And then watch and listen.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4056 - 01/29/14 at 18:31:36

Well Lon,  it was 18 degrees when I took the trash out this morning. But we don't have any ice or snow which really screws things up.  I really feel for those poor souls I've seen in Georgia. I'm about to go into the Listening Cave...just a few more minutes of tube warm up left.  I like how the Torii warms up the room.  I've checked with a thermometer and the temperature  increases about 8 degrees during a listening session...Toasty.   Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4057 - 01/29/14 at 19:03:38

I'm finishing up the rest of the Keith Jarrett Trio set I began yesterday. I'll have to pick another Jarrett CD again but first I want to listen to this one...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4058 - 01/29/14 at 19:47:37

Yes, it's cold there Mark, Austin too, been in touch with my gal, there were 300 accidents in Austin yesterday due to the ice storem!

But. . . It will be a lot warmer there sooner than it will be any warmer here!

Right now, catching up on some TV but listened to a disc from

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4059 - 01/29/14 at 20:21:57

Yes, Lon,  it has warmed up here.  Now it's 43 degrees. Speaking of TV...tonight I'm going to watch the 1962 version of "The Manchurian Candidate" on TCM.  I've always liked that movie.  Mark.

This next from my earlier Dusty Groove Buy...

PS...the music was great but the duration was only 20 minutes.  I looked it up and this is a reissue of a 10 inch LP with no additional tracks.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4060 - 01/29/14 at 20:47:42

This next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4061 - 01/29/14 at 20:53:20

Isn't that an awesome session? I have a mono lp as well as the Mosaic Single, and the box set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4062 - 01/29/14 at 21:12:12

Right now something totally different, I bid on two volumes of these Bear Family "Bailes Brotehrs" cds and got them for less than the cost of half of one of them plus postage. Interesting. Great remastering.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4063 - 01/29/14 at 21:37:10

Yes Lon,  that was an amazing Ellington album and yes your CD is completely different.  Now for something not so different...CD #6 of this set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4064 - 01/29/14 at 21:42:46

I do like the Bailes Brothers stuff, but I only made it forty minutes in before I had to change, got a box from Dusty Groove in the mail.

Popped this in.

The new SHM-CD of Odyssey of Iska. This sounds amazing compared to the early US cd.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4065 - 01/30/14 at 00:17:40

Next up is CD #1 of this 2 CD set...it is Big Band sessions recorded in 1956 and 1957 which resulted in 3 LPs...all included here plus unissued tracks.  Very nice Dizzy...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4066 - 01/30/14 at 03:23:12

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4067 - 01/30/14 at 04:00:02

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4068 - 01/30/14 at 21:00:19

In the Listening Cave.  This first...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4069 - 01/30/14 at 21:14:46

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4070 - 01/31/14 at 18:54:56

Recent Japanese MONO cd. Sounds wonderful

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4071 - 01/31/14 at 19:01:20

I picked up one LP and several CDs at Half Price Books and Records on my way home from work today.  I bought a car copy of this Art Pepper CD.  I hadn't heard it in quite a while.  It's one of the first for Galaxy. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4072 - 01/31/14 at 19:28:48

You sure do like your Art. Maybe one day I'll like him more. He's not one of my favorites.

Got a package from Japan. Listening to the new SHM-CD
Bobby Hutcherson "San Francisco"

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4073 - 02/01/14 at 06:40:20

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4074 - 02/01/14 at 12:19:02

The Japanese "Teo Macero Edited Edition" Miles Davis Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel box set, disc 3. Love the sound!

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4075 - 02/01/14 at 13:15:24

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4076 - 02/01/14 at 16:52:31

John Hiatt

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4077 - 02/01/14 at 17:03:49

A request from Mom

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4078 - 02/01/14 at 17:12:50

I'm going to spend much of the next 6 hours in the Listening Cave but at 5pm....It's back to TCM for "The Wizard Of Oz", my favorite movie.  I already watched two movies on TCM this morning, that's running "31 Days of Oscar"...more great films than I have the time or patience for.

First up is this CD from my recent visit to HPB&R.  I'm going to use this abbreviation for Half Price Books and Records from now on...just too much work to type it all out every time.

This was recorded live in December 2002.  Mark.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4079 - 02/01/14 at 17:17:10

Digger, I like the cut of your Jib!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4080 - 02/01/14 at 17:23:25

I like that Marsalis.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4081 - 02/01/14 at 17:38:39

Donnie,
   The last cut of Hiatt rocks when cranked! Now to move onto another good one.

Now its time to Have a little Faith! Joe Cocker

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4082 - 02/01/14 at 18:20:53

This one next, another from HPB&R...recorded in 1956, It's a little different in that Buddy Rich is added on drums to Oscar Peterson's trio of the time...very nice.

Lon,  I'm reading about the 10 CD release of ZZ Top's first ten albums.  I'm not a huge fan but find them fun to play on occasion.  Have you heard this box?  How's the sound?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4083 - 02/01/14 at 19:08:59

Ok,  something different from HPB&R.  I saw this group at the Dallas Crossroads Guitar Festival in 2004...they were great. This is the first album of theirs I've purchased...we'll see. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4084 - 02/01/14 at 19:29:06

The sound is really good on that ZZ box Mark. Best I've heard on cd.

Right now
The RVG CTI edition

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4085 - 02/01/14 at 20:10:28

I haven't been able to find any of my Santana on CD, so when I saw this at HPB&R, I thought this would satisfy me for a while.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4086 - 02/01/14 at 20:47:29

This next...another from HPB&R...

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4087 - 02/01/14 at 21:13:09

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4088 - 02/01/14 at 22:11:24

My Dusty Groove order arrived in the mail today.  This XRCD is first up.  Does XRCD or SHM-CD really make any difference, besides making them more expensive?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4089 - 02/02/14 at 02:53:25

My opinion: XRCD makes a difference. It's a whole process with attention paid to the mastering all the way to the pressing of the disc. There's only one factory in the world that does this, and the results are significant imo.

SHM-CD. . . those that I have DO sound really good but I'm not sure thit is is because of the higher quality material used or the new masterings in each case.

Right now
Disc 2

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4090 - 02/02/14 at 14:23:07

ZMA is really smoothing out - these sound great, flat out filling the room with music. I have a thing for the female voice and harmonizing, so the Wailin' Jennys really has my attention this morning.

Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4091 - 02/02/14 at 14:53:31

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4092 - 02/02/14 at 15:01:01

Lonely Raven, Noticed you like Iron Maiden! What do you think Thunderstruck by AC/DC would sound like on the ZMA?

Up Next!

AC/DC The Razors Edge

Smiley

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4093 - 02/02/14 at 15:11:43

Up after AC/DC is one of my all time old favorites. Saw him at the Allen Theater in Cleveland mid 70's opening for Rush. It was in between the Rush Working man album and fly by night album. Nugent opened for them and blew them away so bad we left half way through Rush. Another good audition for the ZMA.

Stranglehold, Motor City Madhouse 2 of my favorites. Guitar players enjoy these two tunes.

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4094 - 02/02/14 at 15:27:31

I'll be going to the Listening Cave in 15 minutes.  This one will be first.  I remember listening to this in '73/'74 on vinyl.  I have no idea where the LP is but at HPB&R on Friday, I bought the 25th anniversary CD edition.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4095 - 02/02/14 at 15:30:21

Nice to see some Rock in this thread!

Another album that the ZMA makes me go "Whoa, I've never heard that before!"

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4096 - 02/02/14 at 16:03:52

I'm glad to see rock on the thread as well, though none of that material is material I really want to spin myself, just not into those artists.

Right now, a box set I bought for Dad is beginning to get a lot of spin, "The George Szell Edition" from Sony/N.Korea.

49 discs I got for 99 bucks, newly mastered.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4097 - 02/02/14 at 16:13:24

Lonely Raven,
  Rockers exposed! I wasn't sure with what I had been seeing spinning that anyone would be into it. My tastes over the years are leaning me away from it some probably due to age. Not to mention mellower music sounds better on tube gear compared to harder rock type music. Looking at more soulful sounding music and laid back to maximize the sound that tube gear offers. John Hiatt and more bluesy sounding stuff to relax a bit. I like watching this thread sometimes something will come along that I have forgotten about or maybe would be interested in exploring. Always looking for new music. I've found if I just go out and pick music up randomly I end up disappointed in it so I've been doing a lot more research before dropping the bucks for it. Not to mention the limited space to keep it.

Keep'em spinning have a great day guys and gals!

Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4098 - 02/02/14 at 17:41:32

I just had a moment - I'm not ashamed to admit it, I teared up a bit as I got a bit emotional...over a test CD.

I'm still having some imaging issues in my room, I grab the test disc below (ripped to FLAC) and go through all the phase and soundstage tests...they sound OK at best. Then the music comes on and Vaquero sounds great, I turn it up a little bit...then a little bit more...and soon I'm at 80% on the volume. ZMA is sounding great. The next tunes don't excite me much, and I'm about to either turn it down to background level or off and get some housework done, when I see the Toccata in D-Minor is the last track. I love this piece - it's a classic in Monster Movies, my Mom used to play good portions of it on the piano, and I even transcribed some of it to electric guitar with all the fancy two handed tapping, whammy bar, and special FX that make modern electric guitar so fun.

I guess I was a little unprepared for how good this would sound - I found myself cranking it; ZMA 100% full on, balls out - and I kid you not, I teared up with how beautiful it was. I'm sitting here now all puffy eyed as I type this.

Thank you Steve, this is the amp I've been looking for.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4099 - 02/02/14 at 17:46:26

Well this one doesn't have me crying but it is lovely.  A new group recommended by Lon, it is very soothing and relaxing....highly recommended.  Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 512
Send Topic Print