Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4100 - 02/02/14 at 18:59:29

I'm glad you are digging it Mark.

Right now, one of my brothers gave me a break so I dashed over to my place and put on this new SHM-CD:

I love Monk and though his later recordings for Columbia and even Prestige and Riverside get more "talk," every time I come back to the Blue Note sides I am given a serious referesher course and get enthusiastic all over again. The perfect blend of exploration, querkiness and complicated swing, I just get drawn right in.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4101 - 02/02/14 at 20:21:32

Lon, I haven't listened to those versions in 15 or so years.  I need to find my complete Monk Blue Note Box...I may have some early single CD transfers of his Blue note output...I'll look tomorrow.  I also think I have some Vinyl Blue Note reissues from the 80's.

Almost done with this one from the most recent Dusty Groove Buy... a Live recording with occasional off mic play.  But overall great Music and very good sound.  It is two LPs on one CD and clocks in at 76 minutes.  Recommended.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4102 - 02/02/14 at 20:49:09

Oh yes, I have all the Clarke-Boland Big Band recordings that I can find. Rearward has done a good job reissuing what they have. Kenny Clarke was one of the reasons I first put together a drum kit. His work in the 'fifties just continually blows me away. And Boland has tht Ellington thing as composer, arranger and player. And all those cats that came and went in the band. Awesome.

I came to Monk backwards. I heard the Columbia stuff first and I'm glad I did but when I went to the Blue Notes later my mind was blown. That is such powerful, concentrated stuff. So inventive and so odd at the same time!

mark58 wrote on 02/02/14 at 20:21:32:
Lon, I haven't listened to those versions in 15 or so years.  I need to find my complete Monk Blue Note Box...I may have some early single CD transfers of his Blue note output...I'll look tomorrow.  I also think I have some Vinyl Blue Note reissues from the 80's.

Almost done with this one from the most recent Dusty Groove Buy... a Live recording with occasional off mic play.  But overall great Music and very good sound.  It is two LPs on one CD and clocks in at 76 minutes.  Recommended.  Mark.

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/c/clarkebolan_completel_101b.jpg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4103 - 02/02/14 at 21:28:19

I have some other Clarke-Boland Big Band.  I think one or two on the Europe One label.  Can't remember the others.  I like them.

Next...some Mel.  Excellent as always.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4104 - 02/02/14 at 21:41:45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4105 - 02/03/14 at 14:22:54

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4106 - 02/06/14 at 11:08:38

Getting ready for the next Bootleg Series Vol.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4107 - 02/06/14 at 13:22:50

Trying this one out of Mom. Has Oscar Peterson and Ella, two jazz people they'll listen to. Disc 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4108 - 02/06/14 at 13:53:59

I listened to the following three LPs last night...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4109 - 02/06/14 at 14:17:20

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4110 - 02/06/14 at 15:39:12

The Japanese "RVG version" of this one. As Mom and Dad doze.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4111 - 02/06/14 at 15:47:12

I just picked up that same Japanese print - I've not listened to it yet though. Not much time with the ZMA lately.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4112 - 02/06/14 at 15:56:02

Hope you dig it.

Right now, this lovely recording, with great playing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4113 - 02/06/14 at 20:51:46

More and more as time passes Helen Merrill becomes one of my very favorite singers. She just has such asincerity to her voice and so much grace and taste.

And she survived into her elder years of performing with a sure-footedness many others don't have.

This one is only on lp. Wish it were on cd. Maybe one day. She probably has to die first, and I don't want that to happen.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4114 - 02/06/14 at 21:37:50

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4115 - 02/06/14 at 21:57:52

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Day-Weekend-Evan-Marks/dp/B0000047F2

Evan Marks - Three Day Weekend

I like my wah wah FUNKY!

-Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4116 - 02/07/14 at 18:04:25

In the Cave.  I'm listening to Art Pepper's "Winter Moon" again then will play a sealed copy of the below LP from Dusty Groove. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4117 - 02/07/14 at 19:30:00

This one next.  I like some of George Shearing's Live Quintet recordings...the ones with strings/orchestra, not so much.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4118 - 02/07/14 at 20:06:03

This LP next...excellent...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4119 - 02/07/14 at 20:45:33

This LP next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4120 - 02/07/14 at 21:30:12

This LP next...

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4121 - 02/08/14 at 09:25:50

About a month ago, at a used book place, I found a heavy vinyl, family tagged,  "Axis: Bold As Love" Jimi Hendrix album.

It looked OK, but I still went home and cleaned it. Let it dry for a week, then. set aside it into my normal rotation. Honestly, I had not listened to vinyl for over a week, until this evening.

Tonight, I looked for something vinylly and grabbed this very heavy record.

WOW! I am hearing this album at its best, I swear!  I do not think I have ever heard this album so defined.

Jimi's Axis . incredible!

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4122 - 02/08/14 at 12:08:37

This should get the coffee beans jumping!

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4123 - 02/08/14 at 13:25:45

Speaking of coffee...I was listening to this, ear buds in , hot coffee in hand, while watching Olympic speed skating and figure skating.  It really makes the experience much more enjoyable.  Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNv5xXvSfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoVplYV8-e8

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4124 - 02/08/14 at 13:45:19

Sure wish I liked Johnny Hartman more, but I don't. I can see why he's so popular, but he just doesn't do it for me.

Speaking of what I listened to over coffee before I came over to my parents. . . On an Impulse thread on one of the other boards I frequent there is a lot of talk about some of the recent Coltrane SHM-CDs, those of the later music, that they are remastered and sound great. I picked up this one at a good price and they are a different mastering, far more detailed and clean and smooth, not exactly warm though. My favored version would combine the warmth of the earlier Impulse/GRP cd with this new one.

It took me a long time, but I find real beauty in this late Coltrane music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4125 - 02/08/14 at 13:47:39

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4126 - 02/08/14 at 13:56:27

Lon,  I'll get you on board with Johnny Hartman and Art Pepper someday.  I prefer Johnny Hartman with small Jazz groups....not the bigger stringed orchestras.  This one now.  I'll have to go see if Dusty Groove has this Bethlehem LP as a CD reissue.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4127 - 02/08/14 at 13:59:23

I've heard it all Mark, just don't dig it. Probably not going to change as I've been hearing his music for over three decades. Goes for Art too.

Just like you don't like electric piano much, or live Miles, or probably late Coltrane, etc.

We're all different! I prefer a very different type of male vocalist: Louis, Fats, Jack Teagarden, Ray Nance, Slim Gaillard, Jimmy Rushing, Joe Turner. . .those guys KILL me.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4128 - 02/08/14 at 14:52:42

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4129 - 02/08/14 at 16:02:59

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4130 - 02/08/14 at 16:25:33

This now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4131 - 02/08/14 at 16:29:30

Listening to this, while having an email volley with the builder of my next guitar, Troy Post.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4132 - 02/08/14 at 23:26:49

Just coming to the end!

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4133 - 02/08/14 at 23:30:39

Up next although not a big country fan she's not bad! Kinda Hot

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4134 - 02/09/14 at 00:05:13

KIND OF hot? Cheesy

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34300000/Shania-Twain-2013-shania-twain-3...

Listening now to the Blu-Spec 2 cd of "Pangaea."

Oh my God. This is among the brest Redbook I've ever heard. More like a reel to reel.

Scares me how good this is.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4135 - 02/09/14 at 00:19:49

Lon, Yep Kinda Hot!   Wink  How about very hot probably more appropriate? Ha Ha!

Playing Now!

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4136 - 02/09/14 at 00:43:53

Just cued this up!

Here is one of my favorites!

Something Wild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwhsVWQJ_Rk

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4137 - 02/09/14 at 01:14:05

Way hot. Smiley

Right now, back at Mom and Dad's, Chopin for Mom.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4138 - 02/09/14 at 02:10:25

Just for Digger.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4139 - 02/09/14 at 02:46:18

Donnie,
    Thanks never heard of that one! Had to shut the tunes down for tonight. Wife had to go to bed she was roped into working tomorrow so tunes are down. Sometimes I wish I liked head phones. Guys have a good evening! Tomorrow will be another day.       
                          Cry

Cool

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4140 - 02/09/14 at 03:06:15

Digger, Just think of "Little Village" as "Bring the Family" 2. Same guys, just a little more of a group album.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4141 - 02/09/14 at 13:49:37

Back up and running with Shania Twain this morning kaluha and coffee!   Cheesy

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4142 - 02/09/14 at 14:39:25

Playing now!

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4143 - 02/09/14 at 14:46:17

The shit.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4144 - 02/09/14 at 18:35:48

In the Cave briefly.  This CD from Dusty Groove first....very nice.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4145 - 02/10/14 at 20:13:59

In the Listening Cave. I listened to the Buddy Defranco CD above again and now this sealed CD below...marvelous.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4146 - 02/10/14 at 21:11:08

CD #1 of this set next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4147 - 02/10/14 at 21:15:51

I love Tania Maria! This, her most recent, is really good!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4148 - 02/10/14 at 21:35:07

Lon,  they don't have that on Spotify.  Which other recordings would you recommend I listen to of her's?  I don't think I've ever heard her before...at least I can't remember doing so.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4149 - 02/10/14 at 21:47:53

This one on Blue Note, "Intimidade" is pretty representative. . . she in some ways makes a similar album over and over again with variations which doesn't matter to me, I just love her playing and singing and groove.

And she has a few duo albums with bassists which are really interesting and different from her usual:

This one is the most recent, "Tempo" with Eddie Gomez:

Here she is with her nephew Ed Motta who is another of my favorites.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 512
Send Topic Print