Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1831893 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4150 - 02/10/14 at 21:52:30

Both those recordings are on Spotify.  I'll listen later and to the clip too. I'll have to check out Ed Motta. Right now I'm really liking the MJQ live.  Mark.

PS...well, I spoke to soon, the blue note recording isn't available on Spotify or rdio but several others are.  Tonight I'll listen to her and Ed Motta with ear buds while I watch the Winter Olympics with the sound off.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4151 - 02/10/14 at 23:06:04

This Buddy De Franco CD next...This is from Dusty Groove...I just got a newsletter from them.  What goodies might I get today?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4152 - 02/11/14 at 00:24:52

This from Dusty Groove next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4153 - 02/11/14 at 19:09:54

Back in the Listening Cave.  This up first...

PS...Lon, you don't happen to have the Columbia Studio Box of The Dave Brubeck Quartet?  If so, what do you think....sound good or better than past remasters?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4154 - 02/11/14 at 19:53:12

Triple Treat was really nice.

This now...another sealed CD a 1997 reissue of a 1961 recording bought 10-15 years ago ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4155 - 02/11/14 at 20:36:36

Mark, yes I have that box. Those that were released with mastering by Mark Wilder before sound pretty much the same here. That said about half this box or so HASN'T been out in that mastering or out on US cd before, which makes the box a real treat for ME. Plus, i was able to give away a lot of Brubeck cds and save about two thirds the shelf space for Brubeck on Columbia that I had before.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4156 - 02/11/14 at 21:45:10

Thanks Lon,  I think I'll pick that one up.  I've noticed that on Germany's Amazon the box sets are usually cheaper but the single CDs and two CD sets are usually more after subtracting VAT and converting from Euros to USDs. Is this what you have found?  Mark.

This CD from Dusty Groove next...
I'm almost done listening to my most recent purchases...time for more!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4157 - 02/11/14 at 23:04:49

Time for a bit of Monk...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4158 - 02/11/14 at 23:38:16

That's about what I've found too. One or two cd sets from Japan or Europe I usually try to get from Dusty Groove if they carry them. Yes, I can save a few dollars ordering directly but it's really not that much more expensive to order from Dusty Groove.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4159 - 02/11/14 at 23:41:42

LOL

1779751_660972043946743_323028437_n.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4160 - 02/12/14 at 00:41:05

This next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4161 - 02/12/14 at 13:38:37

The Beethoven Overtures disc from the George Szell Edition (Sony Korea).

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4162 - 02/12/14 at 21:06:52

Lon, no listening in the listening Cave but i've been sampling music on Spotify and have ordered the below recordings.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4163 - 02/12/14 at 21:27:53

Nice.

Did you listen to any Tania Maria? I'm going to dig out another one, the new one whetted my appetite.

Right now, from the mono box. Sounds great!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4164 - 02/12/14 at 22:08:18

Lon,  I listened to two live clips of her on you tube but I intend to listen to the Duo set with Eddie Gomez  on Spotify soon.  I thought about ordering one of her recordings then decided to wait.  I've got 42 CDs coming with this current order.  I'd like to spread out my purchases.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4165 - 02/12/14 at 22:36:22

Cool. Was just checking. She's not for everyone.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4166 - 02/13/14 at 13:31:16

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4167 - 02/13/14 at 14:30:09

Lon, I've listened to the first four tracks of the album "Tempo" and really like it.

In another thread Steve D talks of matching of input tubes and differences in volume between channels.  I don't have my speakers in identical positions so I attributed my difference in volume to this but now I'm wondering if it may be in part due to a weak tube.  Just using the Torii alone isn't satisfactory but with the CSP3 in the system I'm able to adjust each channel to balance the volume.  I also like to decrease the volume a bit on hot recordings where the drums are panned to one side...usual to the right.

Lon remind me...what output tubes are you using?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4168 - 02/13/14 at 14:48:02

Well, it's possible that the asymetrical arrangement of the speakers is causing an imbalance in the channels as well. Using the CSP3 with the Torii is in my opinion always a good thing and the gain adjustment is a great tool. I've tried to prefer the source straight into the Torii, but I always seem to choose the CSP2+ in front of it, even more so now that the CSP2+ is equipted with beeswax caps. (Which is not a cheap addition, about 500 or so).

I'm using JJ 6CA7 tubes Mark. Others here have reported failures with these but I've only had one fail on me out of about a dozen or sixteen. And that one rattled around in the back of a very vibrating UHAUL from Texas to Ohio.

Glad you are digging "Tempo!"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4169 - 02/13/14 at 14:52:02

Lon,  I meant what input tubes are you using.  Mark.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4170 - 02/13/14 at 15:15:41

I'm on a pop acid jazz fusion kick this week:

ZMA'in with Tom Scott & the l.a. express

smokin' section

http://www.amazon.com/Smokin-Section-Tom-Scott/dp/B00000IFVN

...the whole disc is great...but tracks: 8, 9, 10 & 11 really round off this great disc!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4171 - 02/13/14 at 16:15:37

I've tried 6922, 6DJ8, 7DJ8 and 6N23P and I keep coming back to 6N1P being the best tube for me.

I use these:

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=81&products_id=263&osCsid=...

They take a few hundred hours or more to "burn in" but they're great one they get there.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4172 - 02/13/14 at 16:31:42

Thanks Lon,  I'm going to get a notebook and start keeping notes...a lot to remember. Once the HR-1s are in place I'll start the more intense experimentation with Input tubes on the Torii, CSP3 and Taboo.  

Unfortunately, I now don't think I'll get my speakers until at least the end of March at the earliest. Four pairs of speakers have had materials pulled on the build sheet, some ordered as much as 3 and 4 months after mine. I'm starting to think all ERRs will be built before HR-1s.  So depending on how many new orders occur, I may never get mine....hehe.  Just kidding Bob.  Anyway, by the time they do arrive I should have most issues in my system resolved.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4173 - 02/13/14 at 16:49:56

Mark, why not call or email Bob and get the skinny? It may be that they do batches of speakers or they may suddenly pull parts for three HR-1s, I just don't know how they do it. I have learned patience is a virtue in these matters. But my whole working life taught me two undeniable facts. One is "He may be crazy, but he outranks you." The other is "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." And long waits are more bearable for me if I understand why and the process.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4174 - 02/13/14 at 17:04:59

I'm not going to bother Bob.  I assume the ERRs are much easier to build and there was one pair ordered a month prior to mine that I knew would be built first. My pair was ordered 9/19 and there is another pair of HR-1s ordered 10/21.  If after the current batch of four speaker pairs are finished and no HR-1 materials are pulled,  I may call.  It may be that they are waiting on drivers or tweeters...who knows. What is the saying?..."a watched pot never boils".  I probably shouldn't look at the build sheet anymore.

Here's what I'm listening to as I work...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4175 - 02/13/14 at 17:09:38

Okay, I'm like that a lot too, I just waited and waited on mine.

Love that Gilberto material (don't have it in that version, have it on a Capitol/Pacific Jazz cd). Seminal stuff, in some important ways the very birth of Bossa Nova.

Right now

I gave this to my parents when I finally had the complete Charlie Christian on Masters of Jazz cds, nine of them. They like this, but then my Dad used to play clarinet, he sure knows Benny Goodman. I actually met Benny in '74 when he gave a talk at the University of Chicago.

Also met William Burroughs and had a conversation with Allen Ginsberg that year there. Wow. That was a trip.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4176 - 02/13/14 at 19:35:10

I've moved to the Listening Cave and have chosen this CD.  I don't think I've ever heard it before.  I think it's also in the Mosaic Box I've never listened to...

It's nice if a bit Pop...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4177 - 02/13/14 at 20:04:56

This next...

PS...Lon, this one is very good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4178 - 02/13/14 at 21:50:28

That Sarah is good and yes the Helen is awesome. I have everything of hers I've ever seen except a few Japanese only releases from the 'sixties.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4179 - 02/13/14 at 22:27:13

This one now to get ready for the massive 19 album Box on it's way...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4180 - 02/13/14 at 22:33:21

Actually I'd listened to that Brubeck CD and then started it again because I was too absorbed in getting my next Dusty Groove buy set up...still looking.

But this one is playing now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4181 - 02/13/14 at 23:54:36

Lon,  here's today's Dusty Groove order...there was just so much. It includes 5 LPs.  I quit once I got to about $100. Mark.

Art Pepper — Unreleased Art Vol 6 – Blues For The Fisherman – Expanded & Complete (4CD set)

Art Pepper — Among Friends (Discovery pressing)

Art Farmer — Interaction      

Dinah Washington — Fats Waller Songbook      

Mel Torme — Torme      

Mel Torme — Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley (Japanese pressing)

George Shearing & Mel Torme — Elegant Evening

George Shearing & Mel Torme — Evening With George Shearing & Mel Torme

Buddy DeFranco — Pretty Moods (Japanese paper sleeve edition)

Lars Gullin — Portrait Of My Pals (with bonus tracks)      

This next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4182 - 02/14/14 at 00:10:02

You're going to be happy when that box hits!

I've been spending too much on cdjapan.co  Gotta cool my jets!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4183 - 02/14/14 at 00:33:56

Lon,  I think I'll stay away from that site...for now.  I do more than enough damage with ebay, the Amazons, HPB&R and Dusty Groove.  Mark.

This next then I've got to get some dinner and watch Olympics...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4184 - 02/14/14 at 04:30:51

"They sang songs about Love, about Vikings, they sang songs about Vikings making love." Grin

Jack Black - Kennedy Center Honors Led Zeppelin

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4185 - 02/14/14 at 07:02:55

Years ago, I heard Keiko Matsui on a jazz station and noticed she was in town. went and saw her and she was great.  Years go by, and for some reason I recently searched for her greatest hits... and it just arrived in the mail.

instantly love nearly every song.  good stuff.  samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Keiko-Matsui/dp/B00020IO06/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=k...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4186 - 02/14/14 at 16:38:57

Back in the Listening Cave.  This one first up after I finish the Sonny Stitt  album started yesterday. The Bill Evans recordings on this CD were made less than 2 weeks prior to his death on Sept. 15th 1980 at the age of 51. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4187 - 02/14/14 at 17:52:40

This next...

PS...very nice.  Very Miles-like with muted trumpet. On other tracks not like Miles...lightly swinging with an ensemble sound with french horn and fluegelhorn on one track.  The whole thing is surprisingly good.  I may have to buy more.  This was recorded in 1986.  This CD isn't on Spotify but several others are.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4188 - 02/14/14 at 19:30:21

Next up a 1958 Big Band outing with Bill Holman....very good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4189 - 02/14/14 at 22:26:20

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4190 - 02/15/14 at 15:41:08

Last night I attended a program of the DSO POPs titled "Love is in the Air".  The first half was comprised of classical works like two Kreisler violin pieces and,  of course, the Mendelssohn "Wedding March" and part of Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet".  But it was the second half that I most loved.  Five of the seven pieces were orchestrations of Gershwin music.  What I have decided to give you is the "Crazy For You" Overture from the musical.  In the first you can watch the symphony as they play, the second has better sound quality.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlRFB2jFUrU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEzSYZmc9Q

I'm now in the Cave and will finish the above Mulligan/Desmond CD then play this...the recordings are from 1954 to 1958...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4191 - 02/15/14 at 17:37:10

This next...

PS...I put in the RCA Tall 5U4GB rectifiers yesterday...replacing RCA 5Y3GTs.  To my ears the bass seems to be more robust but the highs at this point don't seem any warmer.  But I'm not doing A/B comparisons and it may all be the different recordings I'm listening to, some are early CD transfers which we all know can be harsh.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4192 - 02/15/14 at 18:45:21

Disc one of this...I think I played CD #2 a while back.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4193 - 02/15/14 at 19:52:54

Cool. I knew you would find the bass warmer. I put in new rectifiers myself. I splurged on some 'forties bottle shaped RCA 5U4 I found on ebay at an "okay" price to put in place of the 'fifties I had in there. They have added a great smooth sound that I enjoyed with my last pair, one of which went south on me, in part due to troubles I was having with one of my tube sockets on the other Mk III.

360845110715_1.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4194 - 02/15/14 at 19:56:56

Right now
The end of this

Next

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4195 - 02/15/14 at 20:10:30

Lon,  I'm not sure I'd describe the Bass as being any warmer but there is a lot more of it without being boomy or indistinct.  I did get up and turn the treble control on the Torri MK IV as low as it would go.  I hope the high end warms up a little more with burn in of these rectifiers although it isn't bad.  The Keith Jarrett CD is a better recording than some of the other stuff I've played since putting in the RCA 5U4GBs and I must say it is fantastic...I never thought Jarrett could sound better but it does! What is okay for your new...old rectifiers?  I was tempted to buy the two sets Will showed but didn't.  Once I've replaced the Zu Audio "Souls" with the HR-1s my needs may totally change.

This next.  Here Art Pepper is heard with the Miles Davis Rhythm section at the end of 1957.  An earlier Art recording where he is "smoother" and so more to most people's liking.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4196 - 02/15/14 at 21:07:33

Over the next few days your bass should tighten and wane a bit and the treble get sweeter. That's been my experience with these rectifiers.

I've never heard Zu speakers so don't know how your needs will change with the HR-1s and anyway you can always tailor the sound somewhat with different input tubes or output tubes etc. but you may be like me and not want to change often.

These that I moved to have a similar characteristics to the tall ones. I think those you have right now will give you a good starting point with the HR-1s.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4197 - 02/15/14 at 23:28:27

Sounding good with the new TAD EL84s.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4198 - 02/16/14 at 15:55:13

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4199 - 02/16/14 at 16:08:39

I'm going into the Listening Cave without my Laptop.  I want to concentrate on the below Bill Evans Box.  I'm not sure if I have the second 8 CD box set that came from this engagement at Keystone Corner shortly before Bill's death..."Consecration"  also on Milestone. Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 ... 512
Send Topic Print