Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4200 - 02/16/14 at 16:25:43

Consecration is great. But unless you are a Bill Evans FANATIC (I know you are) you really don't need both. But. . . you probably have it actually somewhere in your archives. Smiley

Right now I'm listening to this one. Japanese cd that combines Blue Note 10". I love Art Hodes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4201 - 02/16/14 at 17:18:45

Playing Now!

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4202 - 02/16/14 at 18:05:11

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4203 - 02/16/14 at 18:55:43

Lon,  If I don't eventually find "Consecration",  I'll have to get it....of course, you already knew this.  Looking at Bill's Discography on jazzdisco, it appears that half of each days performance was put in each of the two box sets...so to listen to all the performances on most days you'd have to play a CD from both sets.  I would have preferred getting each day chronologically with all talk, etc.  But now I'm being picky.  In looking at the 1980 Village Vanguard dates, I'm astounded how much has yet to be released.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4204 - 02/16/14 at 21:51:47

If we wait long enough, more will appear, especially from Europe where they have fewer restrictions in some cases.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4205 - 02/16/14 at 23:55:58

This guy was da bomb, I just love his "touch."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4206 - 02/17/14 at 13:21:55

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4207 - 02/17/14 at 14:39:14

Yesterday I attended a Navy Band concert at the 1500 seat Performance Hall that is part of the Allen, TX High School.  The Hall was completed about two years ago and is just incredible.  In fact the whole High School facility is amazing.  Allen has a population of about 85,000, in 1976 the pop. was about 8000.  They have one High School, grades 10 through 12 and currently they have about 5000 students.

Anyway, one of the pieces performed was by Eric Whitacre.  I looked him up on you tube and have been listening to much of his work with "Virtual Choirs" this morning.  I won't go into his history or how he does it.  If interested you can listen and read about it on you tube as I have this morning.  But I will give you two pieces done with a "Virtual Choir".  Enjoy and keep the Music flowing folks.  Peace Out,  Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx5E6qS76k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNurWTycdgA

PS...I have continued to explore the music of Eric Whitacre.  The first clip is a Ted talk where Eric explains briefly his history and that of the "Virtual Choir". Next is the complete piece "Sleep" that he talks about at the end of his talk.  Then to go even deeper into his wonderful meditative music, a concert done live...about 55 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NENlXsW4pM  Ted talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WhWDCw3Mng "Sleep"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JaiSGAZfW4   Eric Whitacre Live at the Union Chapel

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4208 - 02/17/14 at 21:01:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4209 - 02/18/14 at 03:05:03

This one has crept up on me over the years. The recording isn't that great so it really doesn't matter what edition you get. The music is just so fine though. I used to think this one was nowhere near as good as his Blue Note sides. I still think the Blue Note sides are a bit better, but this is great stuff.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4210 - 02/18/14 at 08:23:28

192/24 DSD recording that is converted to 192/24 PCM for my Rega DAC, but still excellent!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4211 - 02/18/14 at 11:09:17

I think that is just a DSD recording converted by your machine to 24/192. It's either DSD or 24/192 right, not both.

I have all of Heifetz's recordings for RCA/Columbia in a box set, and I have that SACD which sounds fantastic through a great SACD player.

Right now

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4212 - 02/18/14 at 13:55:07

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4213 - 02/18/14 at 21:14:56

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4214 - 02/18/14 at 21:20:35

Back in the Cave for a while.  Back to the Evans box.  Put CD #3 of this set in the CDP.

Lon,  I like that Tina Brooks.  I've got them all on single CDs...missed the Mosaic Box.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4215 - 02/18/14 at 21:28:35

I had the Mosaic box but sold it before I got back into vinyl. This is the new XRCD24 release, man it sounds good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4216 - 02/18/14 at 22:35:41

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4217 - 02/18/14 at 23:23:59

next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4218 - 02/19/14 at 00:40:39

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4219 - 02/19/14 at 06:10:41

Quote:
Lon said,
I think that is just a DSD recording converted by your machine to 24/192. It's either DSD or 24/192 right, not both

Your right Lon ... the way I typed it wasn't clear.  It is a DSD recording made from an SACD.  My DAC can't do DSD, so JRiver does the next best thing by playing it at 192/24 PCM.  It's an excellent recording though, my next DAC is going to have DSD capabilities for sure.

Now playing:

This is a 192/24 FLAC file from a Needle Drop off of pristine 180g German vinyl Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4220 - 02/19/14 at 18:25:21

Next a Japanese RVG 24 bit CD...sounds good...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4221 - 02/19/14 at 19:21:04

This next...very well recorded...nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4222 - 02/19/14 at 20:38:30

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4223 - 02/19/14 at 21:48:37

this now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4224 - 02/19/14 at 23:23:13

This now...pretty cool with Jaco's bass and Pat Metheny's guitar...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4225 - 02/20/14 at 00:09:09

This next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4226 - 02/20/14 at 16:35:51

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4227 - 02/20/14 at 21:57:52

Back in the Listening Cave.  The second CD of this 2 CD set.  The Late show at Mister Kelly's with Ella Live...

PS...I tried to play CD #1 and it wouldn't read/play in any of my three CD players despite no visible defect.  I've already arranged an exchange with Amazon.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4228 - 02/20/14 at 23:19:35

This from the  Lee Konitz Soul Note Box set....

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4229 - 02/21/14 at 00:01:39

This next from the same box...

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4230 - 02/21/14 at 02:21:55

Spinning Now!

Wicked Game! Good Song

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4231 - 02/21/14 at 15:10:09

My sister-in-law is giving me a breather from being at Mom and Dad's this morning.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4232 - 02/21/14 at 15:45:50

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #4233 - 02/21/14 at 18:29:25

HEY that's an awesome Coltrane album there Lon!

Does that version have the song "Dear Lord"? I know it was originally on the "Transition" album on LP but later removed from the CD edition....later appearing on the "Gentle side of Coltrane" album I believe.

But it looks like yours is an import so....maybe it has the song on there? It's.......a very special song to me. It just stirs up so much. I only listen to it about once a year. It's just too potent for me to hear more than that it seems. At least where I'm at right now in life. Maybe that will change eventually and the song will make me feel differently as I continue to change. Isn't it funny how some songs just do something to you that you sometimes can't really explain why?

Lastly, how is the sound quality on that CD version of Transition? I'll hunt down a copy if you feel it's quite good....though I'm long overdue for a copy of that album anyway, good sonics or not Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4234 - 02/21/14 at 18:59:19

HPDJ wrote on 02/21/14 at 18:29:25:
HEY that's an awesome Coltrane album there Lon!

Does that version have the song "Dear Lord"? I know it was originally on the "Transition" album on LP but later removed from the CD edition....later appearing on the "Gentle side of Coltrane" album I believe.

But it looks like yours is an import so....maybe it has the song on there? It's.......a very special song to me. It just stirs up so much. I only listen to it about once a year. It's just too potent for me to hear more than that it seems. At least where I'm at right now in life. Maybe that will change eventually and the song will make me feel differently as I continue to change. Isn't it funny how some songs just do something to you that you sometimes can't really explain why?

Lastly, how is the sound quality on that CD version of Transition? I'll hunt down a copy if you feel it's quite good....though I'm long overdue for a copy of that album anyway, good sonics or not Smiley

Oh yes, Dear Lord is on this. What a beautiful performance.

The sound quality on this one is quite good. This is probably a bit hard to find these days, it's one of the SHM-CD releases, they are limited edition from Japan. The catalog number is UCCI-9202.

I don't know why. . .well I do, but still. .. they removed Dear Lord from the first US cd of this. But there is a new cd release that does have Dear Lord. Amazon has it right now for an amazing price (probably a mistake!)

http://www.amazon.com/Transition-John-Coltrane/dp/B005VR9602/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #4235 - 02/21/14 at 19:39:21

Ugh! I just looked for the SHM-CD version on cd japan and it is definitely out of print. I'll do some more digging, but may have to go for the reissue on amazon (2012) that you kindly provided a link for (thanks btw!).....

That price on amazon IS amazing Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4236 - 02/21/14 at 20:02:30

I have that 2012 version in the five cd set "The Complete Impulse Albums Vol. 5." It sounds very similar to the SHM-CD version, though not identical.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4237 - 02/21/14 at 20:47:59

Disc 3. Been listening to this set because I should be getting the Blu-Spec cd version in the mail from Japan any day. I want to see if there's a difference. The difference between Miles Blu-Spec 2 cds I have been listening to lately is quite noticeably positive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4238 - 02/21/14 at 21:58:30

Just in from Japan:

SHM-CD with DSD mastering. Sounds wonderful. . .open, smooth.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4239 - 02/21/14 at 22:13:19

In the Cave for a few hours.  I've warmed up the Tubes and have the TT turning.  Will play some of the 5 LPs just delivered from Dusty Groove.  This first from Art Pepper, recorded September 2nd 1978.  In looking for the cover photo, it appears it has had several different covers and releases.  This is the one I bought which was released in 1981.  How's it sound? Very sweet...excellent.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4240 - 02/21/14 at 22:56:44

This Grammy Award Winning Concord LP now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4241 - 02/22/14 at 00:13:18

I noticed something very odd as I played the prior two LPs...I didn't hear any distortion.  So far no distortion after side one of this LP that previously had a lot of distortion.  The only thing I've changed is I've put in a new quad of NOS Siemans/RTF EL34s and a pair of Nos RCA Tall 5U4GBs in my Torii.  I think it probably was the RCA 5Y3GT rectifiers I was previously using that must have been causing the problem.  In the next few days I'll play other LPs I know I had distortion with, to convince myself the problem is solved. I can live with all the low level hums that are not noticeable while music is playing. The Music's sweet and all's well in the Listening Cave.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4242 - 02/22/14 at 00:46:56

This Pat Metheny LP, "Watercolors", was another that had demonstrated a lot of distortion.  I'm on song #3 of side one with none so far.  This is how it's supposed to be. I had been a little frustrated with not enjoying LPs as much as CDs, after buying a new Rega RP6 and Bees Wax Capped ZP3.  I think I'll go to Mosaic Records and buy the 4 LP Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet set now that I know it will sound great.  Mark.

PS...I don't think I'll mess with different tubes for a long time.  I'm happy with things now.  At least until the HR-1s arrive. 

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4243 - 02/22/14 at 01:11:59

This LP next.  It also had some distortion as I recall.  The Olympics can wait a little longer tonight.  I don't want to leave the Cave!  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4244 - 02/22/14 at 01:31:07

Glad you isolated the problem Mark! And it's now corrected!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4245 - 02/22/14 at 13:35:20

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4246 - 02/22/14 at 14:38:45

In the Cave.. I'm playing CDs and will start with CD #1 of this four CD set documenting a 2 day engagement of Art Pepper at Ronnie Scott's June 27th and 28th 1980 before George Cables joined him on piano.  I have a one CD edition of some of this music put out by Mole Jazz...pictured below...of course, I have no idea where it is. The sound on this 30+ year old recording is excellent. Highly recommended in either form, if you're a Pepper fan.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4247 - 02/22/14 at 16:16:36

This Art Farmer CD is next.  When I saw it at Dusty Groove, it was the collaboration with Jim Hall that intrigued me, having recently listened to him with Sonny Rollins and Paul Desmond.  The recording isn't as good as with the previous collaborations...quite a bit of tape hiss.  But the music is good...not great.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4248 - 02/22/14 at 17:23:29

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4249 - 02/22/14 at 19:41:25

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 512
Send Topic Print