Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4350 - 03/09/14 at 19:43:19

New Japanese 24 bit reissue.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4351 - 03/09/14 at 20:56:43

In the Cave for an hour or so.  Playing music from the same two box sets as previously....Art Pepper and Bill Evans.  Just ordered the below 3 LP and 2 CD set for $35 at Pop Market.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4352 - 03/09/14 at 23:03:36

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4353 - 03/10/14 at 21:15:29

This guy is just astonishing.

Followed by this new SHM-CD version:

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4354 - 03/11/14 at 03:55:28

Love this disc...but it never sounded right until I discovered Decware.  It's mostly slow, chill, indie rock.  Great for a late night listen.  Foot is tapping even though it's nowhere near rockin'…

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4355 - 03/11/14 at 12:00:41

A big long time favorite (bought in about '72). Getting ready for Miles Davis Bootleg Vol. 3.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4356 - 03/11/14 at 13:18:22

Swapped out a power cord on the cd carousel at Dad's and popped this in. Love these duo recordings! Such wonderful music and sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4357 - 03/11/14 at 19:02:25

SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4358 - 03/12/14 at 18:37:51

Whoa I slept on this one too long! A real burner, sort of like an Armstrong All Stars date but peppier and a bit more modern. Swings like mad in parts and burns in others.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4359 - 03/12/14 at 20:28:10

Just arrived with a bunch of other new Bethlehem/Solid reissues from Japan.

Well, don't buy this one for the singing, Ms Mortimer is okay but that sort of late period Ellington singer that I'm not crazy about. . . . The band and arrangements are interesting though, date has appeal for Ellingtonian fans, sound is really nice.

Azie Mortimer - Feeling Of Jazz (Bethlehem BS 10006) 1963?

Side A:
01 Feeling of jazz
02 Lover man (Oh where can you be)
03 Capricious
04 Whisper not
05 Speak low
06 Round midnight

Side B:
07 It's a most unusual day
08 When I fall in love
09 Milestones
10 On Green Dolphin Street
11 Someday my prince will come
12 Soon

Personnel:

Azie Mortimer - vocal

Big Band:
Mercer Ellington - leader
Phil Woods - alto sax & clarinet
Milt Hinton - bass
Mundell Lowe - guitar
WM. Rodriguez - bongo
Charlie Persip - drums
Eugene Young - trumpet
Joe Wilder - trumpet
Ernest Royal - trumpet
J. Nottingham - trumpet
Britt Woodman - trombone
Jimmy Cleveland - trombone
Quent Jackson - trombone
Andy Fitzgerald - baritone sax
Jerome Richardson - tenor sax
Harold Ahsby - tenor sax
Hilton Jefferson - alto sax

Combo:
Mercer Ellington - leader
Milt Hinton - bass
Jimmy Jones - piano
Charlie Persip - drums
Joe Galbraith - guitar
Les Span - guitar

Vocal background:
The Buchanan Quartet

Arranged and conducted by: Mercer Ellington
Produced by: Mort Kaplan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4360 - 03/12/14 at 21:24:33

"Go Genius, go!"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4361 - 03/13/14 at 19:49:13

New cd version from Japan.

Mood music mostly, from '55. Delicious sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4362 - 03/13/14 at 21:44:28

Japanese CTI Supreme Blu-Spec CD version. Checking out how it sounds with the KT-66s before heading back to my parents' place.

There I'm going to install a repaired (supposedly) California Audio Labs CL-10 changer.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4363 - 03/14/14 at 00:41:18

I highly recommend this documentary to everyone...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4364 - 03/14/14 at 01:13:17

In the Cave.  Side two of this LP, then I'll play some of the vinyl recently purchased from Pop Market.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4365 - 03/14/14 at 01:17:05

Next up...LP #1 of 3 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4366 - 03/14/14 at 02:04:22

next...LP #1 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4367 - 03/14/14 at 02:45:53

This LP next...

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4368 - 03/14/14 at 04:40:48

This has been on for a long time.

Then these guys, too.  The guitar player is kind of amazing.  There isn't much of a melody here.  It is more of a player's players band.

And this one.

And this one.

And finally, this gem.

That's about it.  I tend to listen to the same things over and over and over and over.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4369 - 03/14/14 at 19:19:51

Great Tunes Match! I know most of those well (going to check out that last one if I can find a copy this weekend)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4370 - 03/14/14 at 19:41:53

Goddamn these Blu-Spec 2 sound good. I especially like the Spiderman Theme on this one. . . .

Oh wait a minute, this was recorded three years before Spiderman was created. . . let alone the cartoon show aired. . . . I'm confused. Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4371 - 03/14/14 at 19:45:34

Lon, are the Blue spec 2 CDs "Red Book"? or do they require a specialized player?  Mark.

PS  the smh CDs you've talked about are red book...Right?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4372 - 03/14/14 at 20:03:36

Right, both Blu-Spec and Blu-Spec 2 are Redbook cds, playable in anything that will play a cd.

They are sort of like XRCDs in that there is a process made to master and press the cds that differs from the norm. In the case of the XRCD it's a careful attention to quality at all points in the chain, and they sound really tight and precise. In the case of Blu-Spec and Blu-Spec 2 they use the mastering process used for the making of Blu-ray discs and they claim that this results in a more precise burning of the pits on the surface of the pressing master. I feel the process makes an even bigger difference than on the XRCD, and instead of the tight precision of XRCD sound you get a smooth and spacious sound. I'm impressed with the few dozen I've bought.

SHM-CD is different in that they are pressed on a "super hard material" which is supposed to make the pits more precise and improve the sound. Many that I ahve do indeed sound very good, but it's hard to say why as those I have are new masterings and I can't compare them directly to another of the same mastering but not on the same material disc. With Blu-Spec and Blu-Spec 2 cds that I have I have been able to compare the same mastering on another disc and the improvement, though I don't really see why, is there. Sounds more like SACD or analog tape to me than Redbook normally does.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4373 - 03/14/14 at 21:13:56

Continuing my Kirk kick:

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4374 - 03/14/14 at 22:19:03

Lon I can't get enough of this guy since you posted an album a few days ago.   Wow is he something...just tough to come up with the adjectives to describe him.  I watched a youtube video of him performing in Prague in 67.  Too bad they didn't have a camera on the audience because their faces would've been priceless.

JD

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4375 - 03/14/14 at 22:20:48

Mark curious about how those live Marley records sound? Was close to picking them up as well.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4376 - 03/14/14 at 23:19:37

JD,  I have only listened to the first LP of three and haven't listened to the two CD version yet. I just looked at it at Amazon....below is a link...and they have it for more than double what I paid...$35 at one of Pop Market's Daily sales recently.  The sound of the first LP was surprisingly good for a Live recording.  You'll find many reviews at Amazon.  Mark.

PS...JD,  I'll listen to the second LP when I get to the Listening Cave at 7pm CST, and report back my opinion of the SQ.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Forever-Stanley-Pittsburgh-September/dp/B004F4HWPS

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4377 - 03/14/14 at 23:20:09

Hey JD,

The man was a genius, I don't throw that word around lightly but there's no other word for it.

I remember a video from Europe where he was playing with the blind  pianist Tete Monelieu, and wanted the song to stop and Tete kept playing and Kirk was trying to signal him and may have forgotten they were both blind. . . he eventually made his way over to the piano bench and pulled Tete's hands off the keyboard. It was pretty touching and very funny too.

I've been revisiting the Atlantic albums because I used to not like them as much as his Mercury and other earlier work but now in relistening I think the Atlantic sides are just absolutely brilliant! And the new Japanese reissues (which are cheap, not expensive for Japanese releases) sound really good as a bonus.

Right now, listening to this Mosaic set. My parents are big Ella fans but it turns out they have not really ever heard her 'thirties and 'forties work and that I can fix!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4378 - 03/15/14 at 01:43:44

OK JD,  I'm about 3/4 through LP #2 of "Live Forever".  The sound is excellent considering it was not recorded for release but for listening by the band. It was a reel to reel tape from the mixing board.  According to the reviews at Amazon the last couple songs are from an audience recording and thus not as good...the reel to reel tape ran out before the end of the concert.  Kevin Reeves did the mastering from these tapes.  His name sounded familar so I looked at his credits at the All Music Guide and he has done a lot of work...including numerous Jazz recordings including a Sarah Vaughn Box set of Emarcy/Mercury recordings I recently bought.  Also some Mosaic Records Box Sets.  In other words I think he got the best from what he was given.  Mark.

This LP next...

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4379 - 03/15/14 at 02:48:52

Just a little "Sssssnake Farm" tonight.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4380 - 03/15/14 at 03:07:20

This LP next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4381 - 03/15/14 at 23:16:18

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4382 - 03/16/14 at 01:18:32

At first listen I did not like this very much, I think Insurgentes is one my of my favorite recordings in this decade. But after several listening's The Raven That Refused to Sing: And Other Stories has grown on me significantly and I find it in my album rotations more and more frequently ~ although it still hasn't reached the level of Insurgentes to me, but still an excellent album.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4383 - 03/16/14 at 01:53:01

Sublime. Timeless.

New Japanese 24 bit remaster.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4384 - 03/16/14 at 01:57:09

beowulf wrote on 03/16/14 at 01:18:32:
At first listen I did not like this very much, I think Insurgentes is one my of my favorite recordings in this decade. But after several listening's The Raven That Refused to Sing: And Other Stories has grown on me significantly and I find it in my album rotations more and more frequently ~ although it still hasn't reached the level of Insurgentes to me, but still an excellent album.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dDNh31CTL._AA160_.jpg

I still don't like it very much. Insurgentes is really really hard to top

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4385 - 03/16/14 at 02:26:46

I've been in the Listening Cave for a while.  Listened to two more hours of Art Pepper from the previous box sets. And the below three CDs...This next...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4386 - 03/16/14 at 02:53:57

Hey Lon, have you had the chance to check out the Muscle Shoals documentary yet?  Aretha did some of her best work there and in the MS documentary she speaks up about it.  I highly recommend watching that video for sure ... there are/were some interesting aspects to recording in that place not to mention a lot of songs and artists that recorded there that I was unaware of prior to watching it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4387 - 03/16/14 at 11:12:25

Thanks Hans, I might get around to it, I have literally dozens of videos lined up to watcn and very limited time to do so, and Muscle Shoals is lower down on my priorities than others.

I think all Aretha's work for Columbia and Atlantic are wonderful. The special appeal to this one for me is Joe South. Not really a Muscle Shoals studio guy, but his guitar playing here is something else.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4388 - 03/16/14 at 13:39:28

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4389 - 03/16/14 at 13:55:11

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4390 - 03/16/14 at 14:09:44

HD Download

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4391 - 03/16/14 at 16:16:01

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the album - I'm only 3 tracks and and I'm just like WOW.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4392 - 03/16/14 at 17:09:48

LR…glad you are enjoying the new Beck album.

XRCD…

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4393 - 03/16/14 at 18:59:01

Listening to this on spotify.  I can't find the Atlantic Box set "Passions of a Man" or my 1998 Rhino CD reissue...

Lon,  what is the best sounding version of this?...I know you must have one of those Japanese alphabet soup releases...SMH, XRCD, Blu Spec, etc.  It looks like I might as well buy another copy....easier than cleaning up and organizing my life.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4394 - 03/16/14 at 19:17:16

Mark, to the best of my knowledge this has never been an XRCD, SHM-CD or a Blu-Spec cd (those tend to be CBS/Columbia/Sony titles and a few independent Japanese labels). The best sounding I have is the new plain jane 24 bit reissue from Japan, budget priced.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-27061

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4395 - 03/16/14 at 20:27:45

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4396 - 03/16/14 at 20:38:37

I added a CD to the rotation.

This guy is a cross between blues and jazz but without actually being on any side respectively.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4397 - 03/16/14 at 20:55:19

Very 'Seventies big band funky but omg JIMMY PONDER. Jimmy was so the real deal. RIP Jimmy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4398 - 03/16/14 at 21:40:31

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4399 - 03/16/14 at 22:16:35

HRX disc (high rez .wav files) from Reference Recordings…PW Transport plays these discs directly (without the need for a computer).  The sound quality is top notch.  This performance by Nojima is fantastic and the ZMA definitely does the piano justice. Recommended!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 512
Send Topic Print