Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1829972 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4450 - 03/23/14 at 15:38:35

Bright Eyes "I'm Wide Awake It's Morning"...Amazing Album!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4451 - 03/23/14 at 17:59:17

Old school John Cougar...

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable, White top ZP3, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4452 - 03/23/14 at 19:51:12

Bobby Hutcherson, "Head On," which has never sounded better to me. Had some unexpected time to myself thanks to my sister and I spent some time adjustig the Mk III and riding the gain and then settled in to some very good listening. Man, the system sounds great. The new HR-1s are in and really starting to strut their stuff and my PWD Mk II is truly distracting me from thoughts of another source.

After this, I'm going to sample the newly released four cd set of Aretha Franklin's Atlantic sides.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4453 - 03/23/14 at 22:30:15

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4454 - 03/24/14 at 21:08:01

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4455 - 03/24/14 at 21:24:06

I guess I've neglected to share what I'm listening to lately.  I've been entering the Listening Cave without my laptop more often.  The Music sounds best with my eyes closed.  Today I moved my headphone rig to the den so I can listen during the day as I work.  I bought a second used Jolida 100 CDP to pair with the Taboo MK III and Audeze Cans...a threesome that'd be hard to beat.  And I guess the Toxic Cables balanced "Silver Widows" should get some credit too.  Anyway,  below are some CDs I listened to earlier today.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4456 - 03/24/14 at 23:55:29

Lon,I was ordering the new live 4 x lp G.Dead"Sunshine daydream" and Caravanserai both 180gms and saw these 45rpm lp`s. http://vinyl-gold.com/476-grant-green Wondered if you went in for these. Bet they sound excellent.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4457 - 03/24/14 at 23:56:50

Nope Marky, I don't do 45 rpm vinyl. For one thing. . . they're so expensive. For another, a lot of the new vinyl i order arrives warped. So I stick to used vinyl (cheaper too).

I've bought all that music often enough in my life!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4458 - 03/25/14 at 17:34:54

The Blu-Spec 2 version arrived from Japan a few hours ago. This is a trippy day as I've wanted to have Columbia do just such a box set as this for more than a decade, really ever since I fell in love with the two lp set about forty years ago.

I'm breaking in new tubes, and a new type at that, but it sounds great and I'm going to sign off and resume enjoying the listening deeply.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4459 - 03/25/14 at 18:01:21

Just recieved an email from Blue Note Records...see link below.  I'm tempted just to buy all five each Month.  Mark.

http://www.bluenote.com/vinylreissues.html?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=ema...

BLUE NOTE LAUNCHES 75th ANNIVERSARY VINYL REISSUE SERIES

Blue Note Records has launched a new vinyl reissue series of 100 essential remastered Jazz albums spanning both the classic & modern eras of the label. The series commences March 25 with five iconic LPs: Art Blakey Free For All, John Coltrane Blue Train, Eric Dolphy Out To Lunch, Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil, & Larry Young Unity.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4460 - 03/25/14 at 20:49:47

Lon,  I've been playing Miles and Chet Baker today.  Look what I found in my Chet Baker pile....very nice.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4461 - 03/25/14 at 21:00:45

Cool! I have nine of those volumes of Gullin on Dragon, I like them all!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4462 - 03/25/14 at 21:01:42

This live recording next.  I love Chet in this Trio format...Guitar, Bass and his Trumpet...mmmm

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4463 - 03/25/14 at 21:02:43

I got that message about Blue Note lps as well. I'm sort of burned out on Blue Note, bought a lot this year on cd from Japan. So far I'm resisting ordering any of the lps.

Right now
Disc 7

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4464 - 03/26/14 at 00:38:50

First spin, but like what I am hearing so far...

UPDATE:  Excellent jazz duo.  It wasn't clear to me when I purchased this that it was a live recording, but there is indeed an audience.  The sound quality is excellent.  The piano sounds fantastic, and the guitar tone is quite nice too.  Recommended.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4465 - 03/26/14 at 04:30:34

I got home a little while ago and found I'd left my Taboo on by mistake.  So since the tubes are nice and warm, I'll listen to this before going to bed.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4466 - 03/26/14 at 15:04:49

This to start the day...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4467 - 03/26/14 at 15:51:19

this next...so fine...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4468 - 03/26/14 at 16:49:56

this next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4469 - 03/26/14 at 18:51:15

CD #1 of this career spanning 4 CD Box.  It includes recordings from 1948 to 1998 from dozens of Labels.  If you're a John Lee Hooker fan,  this is a must have...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4470 - 03/26/14 at 20:10:42

Or . . . if you're a John Lee fan, you may have almost all of it. I do, so I haven't gotten the box set.

Right now
Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 3, disc 3.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4471 - 03/26/14 at 20:16:27

This is an unusual group for Chet Baker.  Recorded in 1982 with Drums, Vibes and Bass...quite nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4472 - 03/26/14 at 20:44:49

Well Lon,  you are right but for those who are casual Hooker fans and haven't collected his music scattered over 40...50 different labels,  this is a great way to sample his 50+ year career. I have listened to CD one and four so far and the quality of the choices and sound are great. And a 57 page book with pics and info is an added bonus...a bargain at $35 in my book.

Moving my Headphone rig to the den was a great decision but it's very distracting....not getting a lot of work done.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4473 - 03/26/14 at 20:48:13

Understood, yeah, for a new or casual fan this set is great.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4474 - 03/26/14 at 20:58:41

After seeing Dave  had spun this, I searched for my copy...it was still sealed...very, very nice indeed.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4475 - 03/27/14 at 01:11:00

Disc 1 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4476 - 03/27/14 at 03:11:24

The last CD tonight...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4477 - 03/27/14 at 15:30:34

I need to check out that "Peace" one of these days Mark. Great band.

Yesterday I brought over my Murray Perahia box set ("The First Forty Years") and Dad and I have been enjoying it.

In recognition of his 40th anniversary with the label, Sony Classical is proud to present Murray Perahia: The First 40 Years. This limited edition box set includes the artist's complete recordings for Sony Classical on 68 CDs packaged in mini sleeves featuring the original album cover artwork. Featured in the set are three performances available for the first time on CD and all analog and early digital recordings have been remastered. Also included are five DVDs with two previously unreleased BBC-TV programs as well as three performances available for the first time on DVD. Rounding out this beautiful career retrospective is an exquisite 180-page book with new liner notes, rare photographs and complete discography.

American pianist Murray Perahia is one of the most sought-after and cherished pianists of our time, performing in all of the major international music centers and with every leading orchestra. He is the Principal Guest Conductor of the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, with whom he has toured as conductor and pianist throughout the United States, Europe, Japan and Southeast Asia. Mr. Perahia has won two Grammy Awards®, several Gramophone Awards and has a wide and varied discography.

http://www.amazon.com/Murray-Perahia-The-First-Years/dp/B008NBEY3C

We enjoy watching the five dvds as well! Helluva deal, this set!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4478 - 03/27/14 at 16:51:53

Lon,  Chet's album "Peace" is on spotify if you want to sample before buying.  

A bit of Monk to start the day...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4479 - 03/27/14 at 18:01:26

This next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4480 - 03/27/14 at 18:12:09

Mark, I don't do spotify, etc. I'm sure it's good, I'll pick it up soon.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4481 - 03/27/14 at 18:20:20

Next up is CD #1 of this Box...I think it contains the tracks from the albums "Coltrane" and "Ballads"...and unissued tracks...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4482 - 03/28/14 at 01:26:30

Disc 2

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4483 - 03/28/14 at 15:38:34

Took the day off today to get a few things done around the house.  I had the ZMA turned up pretty loud and during a break in the music I heard a knock on the door.  Below is what arrived from Japan (signature required so good thing there was a break in the music).  

This is my first order from Cd Japan (thanks to Lon for bringing this to my attention).  Everything arrived in perfect shape (better than I can say about Amazon).   Most of these discs are Blu-spec but there are a couple SHM.  Looking forward to diving in.

IMG_5058.jpeg
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4484 - 03/28/14 at 16:34:20

Wow! Beautiful Catch!

Those Hendrix ones!

You have a link for where you got them from?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4485 - 03/28/14 at 16:50:57

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/music/

Have fun LR...it's a slippery slope...I think I started with a couple cd's in my cart and look what happened.  Cheers!  -d

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4486 - 03/28/14 at 17:02:16

Well, Dave got me in the mood to buy so this is my next Dusty Groove order. I've also been buying a lot of Pop Markets Daily Deals.  Mark.

PS...Dave or Lon,  when ordering from Japan, does the currency conversion make the CDs less or more expensive than ordering them from the United States?

PSS...by the way, yesterday I bought a vinyl copy of Bob Dylan's "Biography" for cheap on ebay...$35 for 5 unplayed LPs.

Item      Quantity/Format      Each      Total
Buddy DeFranco — In A Mellow Mood       1 / CD       $13.99       $13.99
Buddy DeFranco — Cooking The Blues       1 / CD       $13.99       $13.99
Charlie Rouse — Moment's Notice       1 / LP       $9.99       $9.99
Jaki Byard — On The Spot!       1 / CD       $3.99       $3.99
Quarteto Jobim—Morelenbaum - Quarteto Jobim-Morelenbaum       1 / CD       $12.99       $12.99

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4487 - 03/28/14 at 17:12:02

Nice package!

Eric, those Hendrix Blu-Spec 2 sound pretty darned good. Great lp facsimile as well.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?q=Jimi+Hendrix+Blu-Spec+

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4488 - 03/28/14 at 17:13:33

Mark, if you're getting Japanese cds and you order enough and get the postage manageable, it's always cheaper than getting them from an American source, because they're basically doing the same thing and adding a bump for themselves. . . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4489 - 03/28/14 at 20:23:37

Home from work....first up...Give me Weed, Whites and Wine...and I'll be Will'in...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4490 - 03/28/14 at 20:24:32

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4491 - 03/28/14 at 20:49:04

Next...Live Miles...1964...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4492 - 03/28/14 at 21:59:40

These Live recordings of Monk's first trip to Japan in 1963 are just brilliant. Monk was at a peak in his playing...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4493 - 03/28/14 at 22:38:47

Quote:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/music/

Have fun LR...it's a slippery slope...I think I started with a couple cd's in my cart and look what happened.  Cheers!  -d

Thanks for that!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4494 - 03/28/14 at 23:00:34

mark58 wrote on 03/28/14 at 21:59:40:
These Live recordings of Monk's first trip to Japan in 1963 are just brilliant. Monk was at a peak in his playing...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31P1K7CQ2XL.jpg

Frankie Dunlop! One of my favorite drummers.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4495 - 03/28/14 at 23:00:59

I posted this in the ZP3 thread but here is where I live, so I have also posted it here...  Mark.

Four Triple Mica GE 5751 / 12AX7 Black Plate Tubes

I just bought the above tubes to try in my ZP3 and Jolida CD player.  Currently I have Raytheon 12AX7's in both...bought from Mike here, which are very nice.  I just wanted to try something different.  Looking at the codes, I think these are from 1955.  I'm not sure why but I was the only bidder so I got them for $125 plus $8.90 S&H. I've given the link to the auction on ebay.  Take a look at the pictures and listing and tell me if I'm missing something...these should have gone for much more in my opinion. They are highly rated by Joe of "Joe's Tube Lore".  Has anyone else tried these in the ZP3?  Mark.

The auction write up..."Four 5751 / 12AX7 GE Black Plate tubes.   As seen in the pictures, matching date codes are on each set, meaning that the first two match, and the second two match.  These tubes read extremely strong.  The readings are as follows: 1725/1725, 1700/1700, 1650/1650, and, 1700/1725, and are therefore, very well balanced."

What Joe said..."GE 5751-WA Black Plate - This is a '50s production tube. Many tube freaks say its simply a relabeled RCA, but I own RCAs and there are subtle internal differences and rather dramatic sonic differences compared to that brand. This tube is often found as a military boxed government contract tube (ex.:JG-5751) and is always in my experience boxed in a white date coded box. They invariably have production dates in the 1956-1959, or so, range. Its got shiny black plates which are shaped differently from the later GE grey plate versions of this tube. OK, enough physical description, how does it sound? Well to my ears its a more refined and yet more lively tube than those in group one. It has a good linear frequency response with fairly good HF extension, if not quite as palpable in the mids as a few others in group 2, but not by much. It measures like a dream too. Like all early 5751s I've ever tested (1955-1965, or so) these guys are unbelievable tight in terms of gain, low noise levels and vanishingly low microphonics."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-GE-5751-12AX7-Black-Plate-Tubes-/191106091394?_trks....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4496 - 03/29/14 at 00:44:40

Those tubes are probably going to sound really good.

Right now, back to this, it sounds so so good with the Torii Mk II now in Dad's system! I love this music, and these recordings.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4497 - 03/29/14 at 02:54:54

Been in the Listening Cave spinning Vinyl...these so far...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4498 - 03/29/14 at 03:43:43

side one of this then off to bed...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4499 - 03/29/14 at 13:07:55

Enjoying my morning cup of coffee with Hank Jones playing piano...blu-spec cd.  Sounds great.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 512
Send Topic Print