Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1829452 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4500 - 03/29/14 at 14:28:06

Dave,  you inspired me to listen to some Hank Jones.  He is one of my favorite Detroit Pianists, the other being Tommy Flanagan.  I think if I want to hear the CD you showed I'll have to buy it from Japan...it wasn't at Amazon or on spotify nor was it listed at all music guide.

I did listen to some of his solo recording at Maybeck Hall released by Concord.  I have many from this series of solo piano performances.  Also there are some great clips on you tube of his trio performing in Tokyo at the Blue Note. I have enjoyed listening to him and his two brothers over the years.  Mark.

PS...I found that CD on Amazon...$41.  I know I can find it cheaper.  I'm listening to this solo concert on You Tube now...beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czEVialAZIE

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4501 - 03/29/14 at 14:47:53

That Jones cd is even expensive in Japan Mark:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VRCL-38819

I may wait to see if it comes out in a lower priced reissue in a year or two.

I have all the volumes of the Maybreck series, quite an interesting series!

Right now, Mozart violin concertos

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4502 - 03/29/14 at 14:50:40

WOW, this is a great Remaster of Albert King's 1972 recording. Great Blues guitar (a little on the mellow side) and tasteful Horn Section (not overdone).

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4503 - 03/29/14 at 17:24:06

I've warmed up the Taboo and will spend some quality time with the Audeze Cans.  First up is the second CD of Monk in Tokyo then some Chet Baker...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4504 - 03/29/14 at 17:51:31

Back to this one. I'm enjoying it.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4505 - 03/29/14 at 18:47:25

This next from the mono Box...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4506 - 03/29/14 at 19:52:34

Little talked of gem of a Bill Evans sideman appearance. Blu-Spec 2 cd version.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4507 - 03/29/14 at 20:18:13

Lon,  I'll have to sample that one somewhere...it's not on spotify.  How much solo time does Evans get?  When was this recorded?

Next up from the  Columbia Monk Studio Box...Hope the Live Box comes soon...

PS...I looked up Pike's Peak at the All Music Guide site.  It was released or recorded? Nov. 1961 shortly after Lafaro's death. There were short samples of each tune. Dave Pike vocalizes on every track much like Keith Jarrett.  I think I'll pass on this one.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/pikes-peak-mw0000199414

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4508 - 03/29/14 at 20:47:24

Don't be so sensitive! It's a good one. Bill solos on every track.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4509 - 03/29/14 at 21:19:35

Lon,  what's that one...looks interesting...

This next, starting with the three sextet studio recordings at the end...superb.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4510 - 03/29/14 at 21:24:40

It's a fascinating work by a US alto saxophonist/guitarist/historian/whacko internet presence Allen Lowe. It has cream of the crop guys doing zany pastiches of modern and early jazz and it's more than touched with brilliance.

http://www.allenlowe.com

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4511 - 03/29/14 at 21:37:38

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4512 - 03/29/14 at 21:50:13

Up Next!

Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4513 - 03/29/14 at 21:53:42

Lon,  Allen Lowe's Books look interesting.  Have you read any?  I see from another site that you pre ordered your set mid December...when did you finally get it? I listened to a clip by Lowe on you tube...not sure how wild I am about it.  I wish I could find more samples...I'll continue to search.  On one of his CDs I see that Marc Ribot plays...he's fantastic with John Zorn. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4514 - 03/29/14 at 22:50:13

I haven't read any of his books, one day I will.

Only took me about a week to get the cds from him, I've done this several times with his stuff.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4515 - 03/30/14 at 00:23:27

Just finished this one. I don't recommend it...poor sound and the playing isn't that great.  There are a lot of good Chet Baker albums.  This is not one of them.  This comes from a huge Chet Baker Fan.  Next, a little Dave Brubeck from the Big Box...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4516 - 03/30/14 at 00:54:27

Yeah I have an Archie Shepp in that series, I love Shepp but that isn't a good one.

Mozart string quartets going here. Rolled a few tubes in the Torii Mk II now over here at Dad's, sounds good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4517 - 03/30/14 at 01:58:40

Dutch singer Ann Burton, very nice and sweet and late hours. Great sound too.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #4518 - 03/30/14 at 03:14:09

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4519 - 03/30/14 at 03:41:13

Man loves Strats. Me too. I think he's a big dick but he can play. Last time I saw him on TV he was playing a Gretsch, and with Chick Corea, Wallace Roney and a few other ringers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4520 - 03/30/14 at 03:44:58

Now, one of the first lps I ever owned, though I'm listening to the new Japanese 24 bit remaster. My lp was mono, my earlier cd is mono, this is stereo, which I've heard before but is always a trip to hear.

Just an amazing, amazing album. I listened to this for a few years when I was living in Swaziland and then onwards when we returned to the States. No wonder I never found a gal in Geauga County, Ohio when I wanted to find a gal who was like Aretha sang a woman was. Aretha is a force of nature. This one is still my favorite though that may be because it was my one and only for so long. Each tune is like a little life story. And the music is so bitchin'! "Save Me" has always been a yardstick for me in how to rock steady!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4521 - 03/30/14 at 13:44:04

Rubinstein!

0b84429f0eabbf095ca08bf2071.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4522 - 03/30/14 at 15:51:35

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4523 - 03/30/14 at 16:34:35

I'm starting the two hours I have to listen with a replay of The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Gone With The Wind" album that I began yesterday then I'll move on to this Chet Baker CD recorded in November of 1979 in Germany that I don't recall ever listening to.  The All Music Guide rates it 4.5 stars out of 5...we'll see.  The review copied below sounds interesting.  Mark.

"This was a record not so much of rhythm as of tonal coloring, pitch and reverberation. This was also an avant-garde Chet Baker, without gimmicks, just meeting an interest to expand and further develop: to invent, expand, create. This was also very beautiful creativity; art for art's sake. Wolfgang Lackerschmid played vibes in a manner owing itself more to Red Norvo and Gary Burton than Milt Jackson, and proved himself to be a creator and artist in his ebb and flow with the trumpeter. Bravos for both artists."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4524 - 03/30/14 at 16:45:20

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4525 - 03/30/14 at 17:55:48

Well,  that Chet Baker CD was good.  I still prefer Chet in a more spare setting but I have to admit everyone played well and even though I was unfamiliar with most of the tunes, I enjoyed this album.  I will listen to it again.  This album was very well recorded...they got the  Double Bass just right.  Despite being manufactured in 1986, this CD's sound was exceptional.

Next, a little Monk.  This CD is unusual in that only two tracks are Monk compositions...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4526 - 03/31/14 at 00:45:49

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #4527 - 03/31/14 at 05:20:54

I had a great thing happen to me this evening.  My dad (69) and one of his younger friends (mid 50's) dropped by while I was tooling around in my listening area.  My dad's friend says "wow you have a lot of vinyl".  I say "yep, we are listening to a record now".  He's floored.  He says he's heard that you have to have a good stereo to "hear" the music.  I pointed at the ZKIT1's but he had no point of reference to recognize what they were.  I didn't even get into the synergy I find between the DECWARE amplification and the AN drivers I listen to currently.  He stares at things for a while and says, I never knew you could hear that sort of detail in the music.  I've loved vinyl since my pops let me play his records, I've loved DECWARE since I found the site and built the ZKIT1 (then another), and I really think the whole thing came together with some quality drivers.  When time and funds permit, I'll be covering new ground with one of Steve's Torii's and a pair of Radial speakers.  I know I will get to experience this before my days run short Smiley    
For the knowing the record was David Grisman Quintet and it was a pleasure.

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #4528 - 03/31/14 at 06:42:15

Been listening to some Mofi Fleetwood Mac S/T and  a nice Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises  MCA half speed mastered lp.    My Torii MkIII has been on for 3 straight days.  It's sounding mighty sweet tonight.  Wife and kids are out of town so I've been been non stop listening to music when home. Higher than normal volume.. Cool

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4529 - 03/31/14 at 10:36:28

Wonderful! So gld you got to experience that Dan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4530 - 03/31/14 at 13:50:51

Greg, it seems controversial here, but when I leave my Torii on for days it sounds so amazing! It does improve incrementally after a few days of use.

Right now, listening to this one. Parental units aren't as fond of Bartok as I am but this is a great performance and recording.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4531 - 03/31/14 at 15:23:47

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4532 - 03/31/14 at 17:39:08

From the Mono Box,  this one...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4533 - 03/31/14 at 18:10:26

CD #2 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4534 - 03/31/14 at 19:07:44

Next,  Live Bill Evans Trio circa 1969...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4535 - 03/31/14 at 19:30:43

Blu-Spec 2 CD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4536 - 03/31/14 at 19:43:32

next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4537 - 03/31/14 at 19:55:57

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4538 - 03/31/14 at 20:15:57

Lon,  I bet that one's a trip...Love that Musical.  I'm sure it's in the Mosaic Box I've yet to listen to.

Next up...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4539 - 03/31/14 at 20:36:53

Yes it is.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4540 - 03/31/14 at 21:29:31

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4541 - 03/31/14 at 22:09:15

how do you guys add copy of album cover?

Anyhow; maybe you guys are very familiar with this guy.

Brian Blomberg`s album Wood.

BrianBromberg-Wood-2002.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4542 - 03/31/14 at 22:16:27

Jorgen,  I'm not very tech savvy and posted for quite a while as you did. Then Lonely Raven posted a tutorial and I eventually figured it out.  Hope this helps.  Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1388257078

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4543 - 04/01/14 at 00:17:45

this next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4544 - 04/01/14 at 02:59:18

more Brubeck...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4545 - 04/01/14 at 15:51:43

I won't start spinning until about 10:30 or so.  I will finish the above Brubeck album first.

But what I really wanted to share is that I just offered $60 at ebay for a pair of 1939 RCA 5U4G rectifiers...my offer was accepted.  So now my Torii will get an upgrade to what seems to be the preferred rectifier...well at least by Mike B. and Lon. Can't wait to see what the combo of new tubes does for my system...the above rectifiers and soon to arrive Triple Mica GE 5751 Black Plates.  Mark.

PS...looking at the write up, I think these are 1954 tubes.  The date code is 439...that does mean the 39th month of 1954...right?  The seller had stated 1939 with a question mark...oh well these will still be good. auction details below...

"For sale is (2) matched 5U4G RCA full wave rectifier tubes that test to spec and were tested on a calibrated TV-7 A/U tester.

Matching date codes: 439 (1939)?

Tester minimum value: 40/40

Tube 1: 52/51

Tube 2: 54/53

Note: One tube has a broken guide pin but, does not affect the performance of the tube whatsoever!"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4546 - 04/01/14 at 16:01:06

Yes, be careful putting that one in without the guide pin!

Good tubes I bet. Nice price. Should make the Torii sing quite well in a manly baritone! Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4547 - 04/02/14 at 00:52:11

My latest Dusty Groove order arrived today.  This one first...
Lon, this one's right up your alley.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4548 - 04/02/14 at 01:08:34

Oh don't I know it, I've owned that since it was first released. . . .

Here
More Murray Perahia playing Mozart

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4549 - 04/02/14 at 01:45:59

This now...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 512
Send Topic Print