Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4550 - 04/02/14 at 02:13:08

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4551 - 04/02/14 at 12:15:46

Lon,  I don't think I have that CD..."Ballads for Two".  How is it.  I would think it'd give Chet plenty of space to do his thing.  I think there were three CDs where they collaborated. Mark.

PS...I'm almost through watching a video on you tube of Miles' Quintet Live in Paris in 1969.  I wish I could say I liked it...I can't but I tried. I was trying to convince myself to buy the Two Bootleg series sets...Live in Europe 1967 and 1969 that Pop Market has a great deal on currently...they also had a good deal on the Fillmore Live set that you've listened to recently.  The 24 hour sale will be over soon.  $65 for both sets of Bootleg series concerts for those interested.  It ends at 11am CST.  The Fillmore set was only a 6 hour sale that ended yesterday.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4552 - 04/02/14 at 13:22:58

Mark, you'd like the Chet. I actually ordered what I thought was a used cd of the one you listed as I didn't have it, and got this one instead, which is not a problem, didn't have it. Very well recorded, sparse, sort of mournful sound on most of the tunes. I love vibes, so this is a good one for me.

Sorry you don't like the '69 Miles. The first music that really excited me when I returned from Africa at 16 in '71 was the the first Miles Davis electric albums, I love these, I love electric piano, etc.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4553 - 04/02/14 at 13:44:24

Believe me Lon, I want to like electric Miles but I don't think it will ever happen.  Yesterday I also listened to the first seven cuts of CD #1 of the 1967 Live Bootleg series...I'll have to listen again but that music I may be able to digest. I still need to spend more time with it. I have pulled some live Miles on Labels other than Columbia from '63 and '64 before and after Wayne Shorter joined the group.  Looking at amazon, there are two Live Columbia and one Monterrey Jazz CDs from the '63-'64 period that I don't think I have...I know I'd like them.  The search continues...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4554 - 04/02/14 at 14:07:18

Inspired by Mark and his recent spinning of Dave Brubeck albums...I haven't heard this one in a while...Cheers!  

Side note:  Paul Desmond has such great tone.  It really is beautiful...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4555 - 04/02/14 at 14:08:01

Well, I understand, there are musical works I'll never enjoy though I've tried. Not a problem. I just happen to always love electric Miles and there really is nothing else quite like it, though some try really hard!

Right now
More Murray Perahia, this time playing Beethoven sonatas. Great box set!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4556 - 04/02/14 at 14:31:32

Dave,  it is Paul Desmond that keeps me coming back to this music. That CD has some great music but not in the best versions...fake stereo and only 3 or four of the original live album cuts. You can't go wrong with the studio box Lon and I bought..."Brubeck Time" is in it.  Now for the Live tracks...we'll have to wait for Columbia to put out a Live album box. I'll be first in line. Mark.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4557 - 04/02/14 at 14:59:20

I will look into the studio box you mentioned.  

Desmond inspiring more Desmond...  

Cheers!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4558 - 04/02/14 at 15:31:18

Austin Cromer (member of the Ravens) sings
Hubert Laws on flute and guitar
Chick Corea, piano
Richard Davis, bass
Bruno Carr, drums.

First time on cd, part of the amazing series of 24 bit remasters from Japan 2012 through this year. These sound amazing. I've been buying up bunches, just ordered all the Lateef, Jarrett, Slide Hampton and Lloyd.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4559 - 04/02/14 at 15:37:29

Dave,  Jim Hall is wonderful.  I always look forward to finding him in new (to me) collaborations...he adds a lot to the proceedings.  I think you've spun some recently with Bill Evans and Sonny Rollins...No?  I also recently purchased one with Art Farmer.

My first CD today is a Live October 1964 German Concert with Miles' second great quintet playing mainly Miles' old book.  It's on Moon records and the sound could be better but overall it's a nice example of  Miles' new group early in it's short life.  Mark.

PS...I played the Columbia "Miles in Berlin" CD not long ago.  It was recorded about two weeks prior to this concert.  It was the earliest example of this line up that I'm aware of...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4560 - 04/02/14 at 16:24:23

This next...  This is from a concert in St. Louis, MO in June of 1963.  It has all the Miles' Second Great Quintet players except Wayne Shorter...George Coleman plays sax here...The sound is poor.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4561 - 04/02/14 at 16:49:23

New 24 bit mono cd from Japan. Awesome.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4562 - 04/02/14 at 17:38:37

Lon, I know I have that one some where...I'll have a look later.  

I just made a happy discovery.  I was thinking of ordering the three live Miles discs I found on amazon that I described earlier but first I wanted to see if Columbia was going to reissue them soon.  So I did a search and long story short, I learned that this set, described below, had the Columbia albums I wanted to buy unedited with unissued tracks...

"September 28, 2004... Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia recordings of Miles Davis, 1963-1964 (C7K 90840), the set includes music from Seven Steps to Heaven, My Funny Valentine, Four and More, Miles Davis in Europe, Miles in Tokyo, and Miles in Berlin, in some cases with additional material not included in previous releases."

A month or two back I was looking for the Complete Miles with Coltrane box and saw a gray box with a silver spine that was with the red one I wanted...didn't give it a thought until I saw the above description with the Box's photo.  Bottom line, I own it and have never listened to it...a familiar story for me.  So now I'm listening to the European Concert on July 27, 1963 with George Coleman on sax and the Second Quintet's rhythm section  already in place.  Very nice.  Below is the pic of the original album release, expanded in the box.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4563 - 04/02/14 at 17:40:21

mark58 wrote on 04/02/14 at 17:38:37:
I know I have that one some where...I'll have a look later.  For now I made a happy discovery.  I was thinking of ordering the three live Miles discs I found on amazon that I described earlier but first I wanted to see if Columbia was going to reissue them soon.  So I did a search and long story short, I learned that this set had the Columbia albums I wanted to buy unedited with unissued tracks...

"September 28, 2004... Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia recordings of Miles Davis, 1963-1964 (C7K 90840), the set includes music from Seven Steps to Heaven, My Funny Valentine, Four and More, Miles Davis in Europe, Miles in Tokyo, and Miles in Berlin, in some cases with additional material not included in previous releases."

A month or two back I was looking for the Complete Miles with Coltrane box and saw a gray box with a silver spine that was with the red one I wanted...didn't give it a thought until I saw the above description with the Box's photo.  Bottom line, I own it and have never listened to it...a familiar story for me.  So now I'm listening to the European Concert on July 27, 1963 with George Coleman on sax and the Second Quintet's rhythm section  already in place.  Very nice.  Below is the pic of the original album release, expanded in the box.  Mark.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419%2Bzm%2BzptL._SY300_.jpg

Yeah, that's a great set. walked a few miles on my lunch hour to buy it the day it was released. One of the best sounding of the box sets as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4564 - 04/02/14 at 20:00:20

Enough Miles for today.  This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4565 - 04/02/14 at 21:05:39

This next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4566 - 04/02/14 at 21:27:27

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4567 - 04/03/14 at 13:05:02

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4568 - 04/03/14 at 16:57:37

First up today.  Some 1964 Chet...

PS...Lon,  On March 13th I received a notice from Decware that my HR-1 order status had changed to "Materials Pulled".  I initially found this encouraging but as I'm sitting here 3 weeks later without further progress...not so much!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4569 - 04/03/14 at 18:02:33

Well Mark, hope there's some change soon. You are going to love these when they arrive. I waited a long time, and even longer breaking them in, but they really shine right now, I'm getting sound I never thought I would. I only wish I didn't have to be relatively near field. Maybe in a few years.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4570 - 04/03/14 at 19:24:02

Next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4571 - 04/03/14 at 20:31:34

Japanese RVG

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4572 - 04/03/14 at 21:04:02

Next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4573 - 04/04/14 at 03:12:53

This LP now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4574 - 04/04/14 at 04:17:23

Finishing up LP #1 of this 5 LP set then off to bed...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4575 - 04/04/14 at 20:07:06

I love these new 24 bit remasters from Japan. Wow, they sound good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4576 - 04/04/14 at 20:43:10

CD #1 of this set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4577 - 04/04/14 at 20:49:29

Another 24 bit reissue of an old favorite. Sam Brown y'all!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4578 - 04/04/14 at 21:25:43

Last spin before I have to run back to may parents' for the rest of the day and evening.

Blu-Spec 2 cd version

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4579 - 04/04/14 at 23:28:44

Round About Midnight Blu-Spec 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4580 - 04/05/14 at 11:06:38

Japanese 24 bit reissue

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4581 - 04/05/14 at 12:40:36

Enjoying a cup of coffee and waking up Sonny Side Up...

I feel that I should be eating eggs and not drinking a smoothie for breakfast...thanks Sonny!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4582 - 04/05/14 at 13:14:16

Dave...that's a good one...

Lon,  I put the double CD "Jimmy Giuffre 3, 1961" on ECM in my stack to play soon.

But this is what I'm listening to on spotify now.  I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the Complete Columbia Recordings of Woody Shaw (6 CD's) and/or his Complete Muse output (7 CD's) from Mosaic Records.
Woody was an amazing talent.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4583 - 04/05/14 at 13:17:40

I had all the Muse material, and then bought the Mosaic, it's a great set and they cleaned up the sound.

However, I find his Columbia work to be more adventurous and satisfying. . . he had the prestige of that label and a budget he never had before to do more, and he did.

Can't go wrong either way.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4584 - 04/05/14 at 13:37:33

I guess I'll go with the Columbia Box first.  Besides it's much cheaper...about $25 from the German Amazon vs $119 for the  Muse Mosaic Box.  Now I just have to decide on a few more things to make it worth shipping from Germany.  Mark.

PS...Dave , I have my eye on that one and several others.  I'm on Mosaic's mailing list and go to their site about once a week lately. This one now...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4585 - 04/05/14 at 13:40:39

If you haven't seen this, I thought you guys might be interested...

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3006

-d

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4586 - 04/05/14 at 14:30:29

Next...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4587 - 04/05/14 at 14:46:36

I haven't bought anything from Mosaic yet.  My friend reminded me of the label last we got together for dinner.  It came up over a discussion about Mapleshade.  He is the only person I know who owns radial speakers (Ohm Walsh) outside of the Decware community and he has quite the music collection (reminds me of your collections, definitely not mine).

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4588 - 04/05/14 at 15:00:34

Dave,  Mosaic Records can be quite addictive and expensive...just ask Lon.  But they do a fantastic job with the material they choose to reissue.  One warning, if you think you would like a particular set, don't wait too long.  Before you know it, it'll be out of print and go for crazy money on the resale market.  I've missed too many to name for this very reason.

Lon,  enough Woody Shaw...I'm Buying the Columbia Box.  Now I'm listening to music from the Dexter Gordon Columbia box.  Do you have it...if so what's the scoop. This now...Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4589 - 04/05/14 at 15:02:11

Dave1210 wrote on 04/05/14 at 13:40:39:
If you haven't seen this, I thought you guys might be interested...

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3006

-d

More money that I spend on vinyl, but will probably be excellent records. One of my favorite Kirks is included (I Talk with the Spirits, wherein Kirk only plays flutes).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4590 - 04/05/14 at 15:10:36

mark58 wrote on 04/05/14 at 15:00:34:
Lon,  enough Woody Shaw...I'm Buying the Columbia Box.  Now I'm listening to music from the Dexter Gordon Columbia box.  Do you have it...if so what's the scoop. This now...Mark.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/596/MI0001596780.jpg?partner=all...

Mark, I have all the jazz box sets in that series of Columbia sets. And a few others.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4591 - 04/05/14 at 16:11:50

CD # 1 of this...This one's not much like his fifties work.  This is kinda out there but very pleasant.  I like it so far, after two tunes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4592 - 04/05/14 at 16:27:18

mark58 wrote on 04/05/14 at 16:11:50:
CD # 1 of this...This one's not much like his fifties work.  This is kinda out there but very pleasant.  I like it so far, after two tunes.

http://www.jazz.com/assets/2008/1/1/albumcoverJimmyGiuffre3-1961-ECM.jpg?1199159...

http://www.hardformat.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/jimmy-giuffre-2.jpg

Right, I've loved this one for a long time. Odd that these are Verve records reissued by ECM. They fit the ECM label, but just odd that ECM was the one to riessue them. I've never known them to license other label recordings before.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4593 - 04/05/14 at 17:02:32

This is half of an amazingly excellent Sarah Vaughn Concert in Tokyo 1973. I have volume one released in 1991 by Mainstream Records.  In 1993 they released a two CD set with everything that I don't have...wish I did...someday.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4594 - 04/05/14 at 17:15:23

I've been slacking in posting here lately - I've just been busy listening and with work.

I just discovered and I'm really liking this album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5saSR8NwcE&list=PLAEqFoSn8-qtFIeGmsWLZBhhPUW4KD...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4595 - 04/05/14 at 18:00:52

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4596 - 04/05/14 at 19:39:00

Moved on to lp playback, this Mosaic set, the "Action" lp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4597 - 04/05/14 at 20:05:23

Record 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4598 - 04/05/14 at 20:42:28

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4599 - 04/05/14 at 22:22:11

Blu-Spec 2 CD version, disc 4

Reissue of the year so far for me. (In large part because of over forty years of history with the original two lp set).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 512
Send Topic Print