Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4600 - 04/05/14 at 23:14:32

Last jazz for a while (my free time endeth!)

From Japan, 24 bit reissue

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4601 - 04/06/14 at 01:51:27

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4602 - 04/06/14 at 13:25:34

Waking up with Shirley...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4603 - 04/06/14 at 14:13:46

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4604 - 04/06/14 at 17:02:30

Dave, that Nina looks interesting...tell me more.  I have the Shirley album somewhere...haven't heard it for 10+ years.  This from Dusty Groove up first...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4605 - 04/06/14 at 17:18:34

That is Nina's first, a trio album. It's been reissued on cd and lp three or four times in the last three decades. The most recent on lp and cd is by Verse/Bethlehem--I have the cd and it sounds awesome compared to a very early US cd and an import "gray market" one.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4606 - 04/06/14 at 18:18:08

Lon or Dave,  I want that Nina CD.  Does it have 15 tracks as the all music guide lists?  Which version reissue do you have or which is best?  It's out of stock at Dusty Groove but they do have a reissue LP...I think I'll wait for the CD to get the added tracks.  Below is the recording session info... Also below is what's been spinning for a while.  Mark.

Nina Simone Trio
Nina Simone (piano, vocals) Jimmy Bond (bass) Albert Heath (drums)
NYC, 1957
Mood Indigo      Bethlehem 11057, BCP 6028
Don't Smoke In Bed      Bethlehem 11055, BCP 6028
He Needs Me      Bethlehem 11052, BCP 6028, BCP 6068
Little Girl Blue      Bethlehem 11052, BCP 6028
Love Me Or Leave Me      Bethlehem 11021, BCP 6028
My Baby Just Cares For Me      Bethlehem BCP 6028
Good Bait      Bethlehem 11087, BCP 6028
Plain Gold Ring      Bethlehem BCP 6028
You'll Never Walk Alone      Bethlehem 11088, BCP 6028
I Loves You, Porgy      Bethlehem 11021, BCP 6028, BCP 87, BCP 6041
Central Park Blues      Bethlehem 11057, 11089, BCP 6028
He's Got The Whole World In His Hands      Bethlehem 11088, 11089, BCP 6041
For All We Know      Bethlehem 11087, BCP 6041
African Mailman      Bethlehem 11055, BCP 6041
* Bethlehem BCP 6028   Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue
* Bethlehem BCP 6068   Various Artists - Jazz Vocals Award Album
* Bethlehem BCP 87   Various Artists - Double Barrell Jazz
* Bethlehem BCP 6041   Nina Simone And Her Friends
* Bethlehem 11057   Nina Simone - Central Park Blues / Mood Indigo
* Bethlehem 11055   Nina Simone - Don't Smoke In Bed / African Mailman
* Bethlehem 11052   Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue / He Needs Me
* Bethlehem 11021   Nina Simone - I Loves You, Porgy / Love Me Or Leave Me
* Bethlehem 11087   Nina Simone - For All We Know / Good Bait
* Bethlehem 11088   Nina Simone - You'll Never Walk Alone / He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
* Bethlehem 11089   Nina Simone - He's Got The Whole World In His Hands / Central Park

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4607 - 04/06/14 at 18:31:14

I don't know which version Dave is listening to. . . This is one that has all 15 tracks, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for the best sound. It's not from the master tapes, it's a sort of "gray label" release.

http://www.amazon.com/Nina-Simone/dp/B0001P1HYC/ref=sr_1_4_title_1_aud?s=music&i...

This is the latest, from the master tapes, just the 11 tracks on the original lp:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Girl-Blue-Remastered-Jimmy/dp/B00E7NIT5O/ref=sr_1_1...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4608 - 04/06/14 at 19:17:22

Well Lon,  I decided to not wait for the CD at Dusty Groove...I ordered the LP and a few other things...see below.  This spinning now...

Item      Quantity/Format      Each      Total
Nina Simone — Jazz As Played In An Exclusive Side Street Club       1 / LP       $9.99       $9.99
Hank Mobley — Thinking of Home       1 / LP       $9.99       $9.99
Warne Marsh — Warne Marsh (180 gram pressing)       1 / LP       $11.99       $11.99
Buddy DeFranco — Sweet & Lovely       1 / CD       $13.99       $13.99
Miles Davis — Miles Davis Quartet – Live At The 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival       1 / CD       $1.99       $1.99

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4609 - 04/06/14 at 19:20:44

Cool, nice stuff.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4610 - 04/06/14 at 19:37:49

I need to up my game to keep up with you guys.  

For reference, I was listening to the latest 11 track version from the master tapes.  Very nice set.  Sound quality is ok.  I haven't heard the earlier releases for comparison, but trust Lon's assessment.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4611 - 04/06/14 at 19:58:05

Lon, with this last De Franco CD I ordered, I now have 6 with Sonny Clark on Piano.  I think I'm only missing 2 or 3 tracks from the  OOP Mosaic Box that were originally on Compilations with other Musicians.  For those interested all 6 were purchased at Dusty Groove over 4 different orders.  They go in and out of stock frequently but if they are out of stock and in your watch list, they notify you when they're back in stock.  All this music with De Franco and Clark together is great...the few tracks with organ being my least liked.  Mark.

PS...this now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4612 - 04/06/14 at 20:03:10

Yeah, I'm a big DeFranco fan, like those that are without Sonny Clark as well. The man can play! (I bet he still can).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4613 - 04/06/14 at 20:25:31

24 bit from Japan. Yum.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4614 - 04/06/14 at 21:21:53

Disc 3

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4615 - 04/06/14 at 23:08:03

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4616 - 04/06/14 at 23:45:07

This now.  Maybe I'll tackle the box set soon.  Mark.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4617 - 04/07/14 at 00:25:26

Disc 1 playing...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4618 - 04/07/14 at 01:18:19

This now...so fine...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4619 - 04/07/14 at 12:06:26

This sounds great.

Hey, I'm taking another hiatus from posting. I'm having a rough time with my difficult life and I need to stop cradling my laptop like it's a link to something wonderful and deal with my life, maybe take my writing in another direction from posting into something different. The hot topics here are tape decks and the ZMA, directions I'm not moving towards, and I should spend my time elsewhere. I'll respond to PMs and direct questions and can be reached at lonjazz@yahoo.com Have a great week!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4620 - 04/07/14 at 12:54:15

Lon,  I hope you're back soon.  I don't get too involved in the technical aspects of this website except to ask for advice and recommendations.  I am primarily interested in enjoying the Music and discovering new or new to me old recordings as well as enjoying the thousands I already own.  The equipment, although important, is just a means to this end and once I get to a place where I'm happy with the sound, I'll stop tinkering.  My HR-1's are in the Cutting Room now...they will be the last major purchase for a while aside from a little tube rolling in the Taboo and CSP3...maybe,  the sound IS great with the stock tubes.  I'm finished tube rolling in the Torii and ZP3 for now.

I suffered a temporary bump in the road to Musical Nirvana and am sending my Torii MK IV back to the Mother Ship to be rejuvenated but luckily I have the Taboo and haven't missed a minute of music.  I've been listening with headphones only since Thursday but could hook up my speakers to the Taboo. By the time the Torii returns, I should also be close to getting the HR-1s into my Listening Cave. Things will be notched up to a new level...at least that's my assumption.

Lon,  maybe you could continue posting on this tread and leave the others to their own devices.  After all, it's all about the Music and sharing here, regardless what source we use to get the tunes to our Amps.  Anyway,  I'll miss your input as will many others...I'm sure.  I hope your Hiatus will be brief.  I might look up the websites you gave me and see what you're up to over there. Your Friend, Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4621 - 04/07/14 at 13:43:34

Hey Mark, you're right, this thread is different, but my main hope is to pull myself away from the internet itself for a few weeks or a month and create a new daily rythmn for myself. We'll see, I hope it happens, I need some change in my life, giving so much of my life over to my parents, missing my lover and my friends in Texas, it is all too much for me and hiding away in a laptop is NOT the answer. Take care, I'll be back in time.

Hope your Torii comes back soon, and I know you are going to love the hR-1s! I know how expensive they are, but they're a lifetime speaker.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4622 - 04/07/14 at 17:00:45

OK, it's time to post some music...

I'm listening to this on spotify but have tried something new that sounds incredible.  I had long ago bought a cord that goes from the inputs of my amp to the "headphone out" jack of my laptop.  Since I now have my Taboo in the den paired with my second Jolida 100 CD player...I thought what the heck, I might be able to improve on the sound I get with ear buds straight to the laptop.  I found that the old lucid mode on, is best with this setup and I went into the equalizer of the laptop and used the section called beats audio rather than the much more complicated standard 9 band equalizer.  I upped the Bass two notches and something called "Space" two notches and the sound is amazing.  Now it's no sacrifice to sample new music on Spotify...I haven't tried it with you tube.  I'm using Audeze LCD 2.2 Cans with Toxic cables' "Silver Widows" and, of course, my Taboo MK III. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4623 - 04/07/14 at 18:36:43

This one now. I don't own this one...well, at least I don't remember if I do.  I bought a lot of CDs on the Criss Cross Label in the distant past and haven't listened to them all.  Back then I considered them similar to the Blue Note Label of the 50's and 60's...I've never been disappointed by any of their releases of new or established Musicians. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4624 - 04/07/14 at 20:21:43

I did a little experiment.  I found a CD that I own and is also on spotify.  Then I matched the volume from each source as best I could. Doing a/b testing I could just barely tell that my Jolida 100 was more resolving and clear.  But if I came back an hour later and you played one or the other...I don't think I could tell you which was playing.  I used Dave Brubeck's album "Time Further Out".

This one that Lon played recently...sampled from spotify.  I can't get over how good the sound is from my laptop. When I ordered it from HP, I think I upgraded the sound card and graphics. Still, this is amazingly good.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4625 - 04/07/14 at 21:12:46

This is a 2 CD compilation by Fresh Sound of Slide Hampton's Atlantic albums..."Sister Salvation" and "Somethin' Sanctified" plus some live tracks of his octet at Birdland.  This is circa 1960.  After the first two tracks. it's gone on my wish list at amazon...very nice. On spotify, I tried the single album "Sister Salvation" but the recording they had sucked. This one, also there, is much better.  It's doubtful that the spotify copy was the one Lon has from Japan, which I would assume sounds good. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4626 - 04/08/14 at 00:43:46

Back in the Den with spotify hooked up..Just dropped my Torii off at the UPS Store earlier...it should arrive Wednesday.

Lon spun this one 2 or 3 weeks ago.  It's rather nice...I should add that I like the tunes done with acoustic instruments much more than some with electronics...this should surprise no one.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4627 - 04/08/14 at 01:12:54

This  live Ella next.  I don't think I have this one...looks good except for a Beatles cover...oh well, it was 1965.  Ella's voice and Tommy Flanagan's piano work are top notch.  Mark.

PS...Dave, could you suggest a few of your favorite albums recently other than Jazz and Classic Rock...you've spun some in the past I've never heard of...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4628 - 04/08/14 at 01:59:04

Next, an Art Pepper CD I haven't heard...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4629 - 04/08/14 at 12:09:12

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4630 - 04/08/14 at 12:56:31

BB's first LP which was a compilation of his early best...

Music is top notch...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4631 - 04/08/14 at 14:39:14

Complete change in direction...

Instrumental post-rock music from the Texas band Explosions in the Sky...these guys are awesome...love the builds and break downs...

This album I am spinning is "take care, take care, take care".  I also highly recommend 'The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place".  

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4632 - 04/08/14 at 15:32:00

Mark...apologies...I missed your post/request from yesterday.  Below is a list of albums to check out:

The National: Boxer (one of my favorite bands.  if you haven't heard this album it's amazing.  Their latest album, 'Trouble Will Find Me' is excellent and Alligator is also a must listen IMHO)

Kurt Vile: Wakin' on a Pretty Daze (I can get lost in these dreamy, drawn out songs.  I also plan to pick up the new War on Drugs album "Lost in the Dream", which has a similar feel)

Panda Bear: Person Pitch (sit back and enjoy the electronic psychedelic ride complete with layers and layers of loops drenched in reverb.  I want to describe it as a modern day Pet Sounds of sorts, but that is going too far. Sounds like you are rocking headphones these days and this would be a good spin.  I would also check out the band The XX.  Great headphone music.)

Volcano Choir: Repave (One of Justin Vernon's (Bon Iver) side projects. Volcano Choir tends to be a little more 'out there' vs Bon Iver (which you should also check out), but this one is more accessible (and better overall) than their previous effort 'Unmap')

San Fermin: San Fermin (chamber pop.  the male vocalist reminds of Matt Berninger from The National, which is why I was initially drawn to this disc. Lots of horns.  Not necessary a favorite, but it has been in the rotation lately)

Beirut: The Rip Tide (love this album.  i can spin it and spin it and spin it...and it never gets old.  just writing that made me what to give it a spin...

Cheers and happy listening...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4633 - 04/08/14 at 15:46:14

Thanks Dave,  I haven't heard of any of those artists/albums.  Now that I can listen to Spotify in "High Fidelity", I plan on exploring more new music although I'll always come back to Jazz...my Fav.  In about an hour I'll sample some of your recommendations. Thanks again,  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4634 - 04/08/14 at 16:23:06

Dave,  I'm listening to this one...cool.  His vocals remind me of Lou Reed/Velvet Underground.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4635 - 04/08/14 at 17:29:02

I have this CD but am listening to it on Spotify.  Just Jeff Buckley's voice and his guitar...Fascinating.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4636 - 04/08/14 at 18:57:35

This now...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4637 - 04/08/14 at 19:12:46

American Analog Set 'Set Free'...

I haven't listened to this one in a while.  I really enjoy this band.  Very chill indie rock.  There is a subtle, repetitive beauty that draws me in and takes me on a journey.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4638 - 04/08/14 at 19:59:14

The Decemberists 'The King is Dead'

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4639 - 04/08/14 at 20:39:46

this live album...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4640 - 04/08/14 at 20:45:53

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4641 - 04/08/14 at 21:42:27

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4642 - 04/08/14 at 23:47:32

Lambchop: Mr. M

Excellent album...it took quite a few listens for me to get there...nothing really seemed to catch my attention at first, but for some reason I kept coming back...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4643 - 04/09/14 at 00:57:00

Destroyer: Kaputt

The name is not fitting...this album is great for a late night listen...there are some atmospheric elements that really make the soundstage interesting...enjoy!  

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4644 - 04/09/14 at 02:00:46

Great guitarist and songwriter/poet...he is obviously channeling and interpreting Bob Dylan...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4645 - 04/09/14 at 03:08:37

Time to wind down with a little Chet...I really enjoy this set.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4646 - 04/09/14 at 12:47:12

Dave, some seriously great albums!

I need to start posting what I actually listen to, but I tend to shut off the laptop and just listen, so I forget by the time the session is done.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4647 - 04/09/14 at 15:06:10

LR...I have been getting into the routine of posting pre-listening and then adding comments (if I remember) post-listening or during a break.

Also...I wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about dates for the mini-Decfest.  I am waiting for a buddy to let me know if he is in and when he is available in May.  

Yes it would be great to know what you are listening to...

Cheers and happy listening!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4648 - 04/09/14 at 16:52:06

This to begin the day...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4649 - 04/09/14 at 17:21:24

Next up...some more Charlie Rouse...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 512
Send Topic Print