Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1828282 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4700 - 04/17/14 at 18:19:57

Now...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4701 - 04/17/14 at 19:57:15

now...RCA Nina mainly between 1968 and 1971...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4702 - 04/17/14 at 20:34:52

now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4703 - 04/18/14 at 02:57:35

Blu-Spec version. Whoa.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4704 - 04/18/14 at 19:58:52

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4705 - 04/18/14 at 20:34:43

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4706 - 04/19/14 at 00:58:05

Tom Scott on Varitone tenor, which is interesting. Love that Barney Kessel guitar! As Tony Stark said of Natasha Romanov, "I want one!"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4707 - 04/19/14 at 02:28:51

Listening to this one. Very nice  Live Second great quintet recording a year before Wayne Shorter would take his place in the Band.  George Coleman plays sax here. Good playing and sound...a winner.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4708 - 04/19/14 at 15:31:53

I was listening to this CD one last time before sending it back.  But it sounds so good and the Music is so fantastic I can't do it.  Gotta keep it!  I suspect that they copied the Mosaic Records recordings...this CD has 3 live and an additional 3 studio tracks not found on the most complete licensed version of this album.  No one has spoken up...has anyone else bought CDs from Essential Jazz Classics out of Spain? What's been your experience?  Just for the record, I plan on buying a licensed version of this album...perhaps from Lon's Japanese company.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4709 - 04/19/14 at 15:42:18

This one next.  Now that I have bought six of Buddy De Franco's albums with Sonny Clark from Dusty Groove,  I have found that from Lon's Japanese company, five of these same CDs are $4 cheaper....oh well...I'm Supporting an American company...I guess.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4710 - 04/19/14 at 16:01:13

Hi Mark. That image didn't show I had to sort of go in the back way to see it.

This is a "gray market" label putting out things that are out of copyright in Europe and still in copyright in the US. They borrow from the masterings out before so this is likely from the Mosaic Studio Basie set, with material from the Mosaic Live Basie set added on.

Sound is thus pretty good on this label.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4711 - 04/19/14 at 19:15:33

Back home and doing a little more listening.  A little Joni...

Thanks Lon,  Just as I thought.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4712 - 04/19/14 at 20:02:46

next...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4713 - 04/19/14 at 20:22:57

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4714 - 04/19/14 at 20:53:34

next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4715 - 04/19/14 at 22:05:29

Next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4716 - 04/19/14 at 22:19:37

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4717 - 04/19/14 at 22:40:37

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4718 - 04/20/14 at 15:36:51

I just discovered this one - I don't know if it's an "approved" version or whatever, but I'm only two songs in and I really like this album. It's like discovering Hendrix all over again.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4719 - 04/20/14 at 15:40:20

More info on that album.

News - 16 Mar 2010

Jimi Hendrix – Valleys of Neptune

Last month, on the Genesis Facebook page, we posted a link to the new Valleys of Neptune video which is available to watch online. Described by co-producer Eddie Kramer as a "fun, archeological dig" the new Hendrix album presents 12 songs, including the title track, assembled by Kramer from sessions recorded during the final days the Experience.

Re-workings of the hits "Stone Free," "Fire" and "Red House" and an instrumental rendition of Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" appear side-by-side with lesser-known songs, such as "Mr. Bad Luck".

The album of previously unreleased studio material is apparently the first in a new campaign from Experience Hendrix, the company led by the artist's stepsister Janie. Genesis is excited to learn there is, apparently, enough unheard material in the vaults to provide a decade of new releases. Fly on…

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4720 - 04/20/14 at 16:03:58

It's an offiicial Hendrix release. That promotoinal material is four years old. Where ya been? Sounds even better in the Blu-Spec 2 version! Cheesy

Now you need to move on to People, Hell and Angels.

When I listen to Hendrix almost all subsequent rock seems superfluous! He just had the mojo, the skill, and the imagination. The more I listen to Hendrix, the more that genre is covered for me, and I move to jazz, Brazilian, classical. . . .

Right now, listening to another string genius.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4721 - 04/20/14 at 18:18:07

I've been listening to this as I gather stuff for my Personal Taxes this year...

PS...Lon, thanks for the info on the Mat...I'll order one and some other Herbies products once my Torii is back in the house and I'm spinning Vinyl again.  I've got quite a large stack I've acquired since the Torii blew up, just recently bought Mosaic's "The Complete Commodore Recordings Vol. 1 and 2" with boxes and books that should be arriving soon.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4722 - 04/20/14 at 18:47:53

This now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4723 - 04/20/14 at 19:10:13

Oh those Commodore sets! Good score. I don't have those sets, but I was able to transfer to CDR all three volumes for a jazz pal of mine (that was a lot of work!) and I managed to buy all three books from Mosaic before they ran out (and after the record sets had sold out).

The mat is interesting. I need to do more listening and comparing but it's like everything is tightened up and there's a bit more depth to the soundstage. Some records I prefer the stock mat, others the Herbie, at least right now. (Or not right now, how I wish I could be home spinning records!)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4724 - 04/20/14 at 20:08:31

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4725 - 04/20/14 at 20:40:33

I don't think I've ever listened to this before...very nice 1976 recording.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4726 - 04/20/14 at 21:01:15

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4727 - 04/20/14 at 21:48:23

This next.  Actually, I'm listening to the 17 Live tracks recorded by the Bill Evan's Trio in May 1963 at Shelly's Manne-hole in California, many not included on the album shown but all in the 12 CD Riverside Box set. These would be Bill's last recordings on the Riverside Label. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4728 - 04/20/14 at 23:26:05

Speaking of Bill Evans box sets, the Verve set has now been released in a very inexpensive box of cds in sleeves with no notes other than track listing and personnel. Bummer about the notes because that in the rust box set Smiley are awesome, but the music is all there, same mastering (which is a'ight), same wonderful performances complete. I think amazon.it has the best price.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4729 - 04/21/14 at 03:17:53

Lon,  I hate that rusty box but the music is mostly great.  I think I bought it when it first came out...has to be 15+ years ago? Mark.

PS...Great price.  Comes to about $2.70 US per CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4730 - 04/21/14 at 03:37:42

I don't mind the rust box, I put them all in cd cases because it's easier to deal with that way. I'm just so glad that the music is in print this way. Great stuff.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4731 - 04/21/14 at 13:19:02

Mom had a rough night, I put this on and she's immediately asleep on the couch!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4732 - 04/21/14 at 19:04:25

Next I'll listen to the sessions that produced the below album released in 1962.  It is in the same Riverside Box mentioned yesterday with more tracks from the sessions with Bill Evans and Cannonball.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4733 - 04/21/14 at 20:33:43

followed by

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4734 - 04/21/14 at 20:58:54

Still with the Evans box.  I'm now listening to the second of two studio sessions with Scott LaFaro.  It resulted in the below  Trio album. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4735 - 04/21/14 at 20:59:46

Now, new one with DSD transfer.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4736 - 04/21/14 at 21:39:30

Lon,  that looks great.  How does the sound compare to that of the 2001 Complete Columbia Box?

The mailman just dropped off 8 LPs I bought from a seller on ebay.  The pictured album is one of them.  Spinning it will have to wait until the Torii is fixed but I decided to listen to the album from The Emarcy/Mercury Jazz Albums 1954-1958 CD box I have...using the Taboo and Audeze Cans.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4737 - 04/21/14 at 21:41:13

One more as I get ready to shut down my own system for the day.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4738 - 04/21/14 at 23:45:11

Almost done with this one...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4739 - 04/21/14 at 23:46:20

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4740 - 04/22/14 at 00:39:27

Next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4741 - 04/22/14 at 18:07:06

This one takes me back to about 1972 when I was 13 or 14 years old.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4742 - 04/22/14 at 19:16:59

This one when I was about 15 or 16...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4743 - 04/22/14 at 19:54:54

I need to sample some Charles Lloyd.  I thought I'd try this one Lon listened to not long ago.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4744 - 04/22/14 at 20:41:56

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4745 - 04/23/14 at 16:12:49

This first today. One of my Dusty Groove purchases that arrived yesterday.  It's an  Audiowave XRCD24...Not sure what technically that means but the sound is amazing.  Yesterday I listened to a Two track analog tape Blue Note digital transfer of Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas" which was originally recorded by Rudy Van Gelder in NJ in the early 60's just like this one but the sound is light years better here.  I have other versions of this CD somewhere...If I find one I'll have to do a comparison. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4746 - 04/23/14 at 16:13:08

Listening to this, great stuff. . . .

While wishing I could be out riding my bike. . . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4747 - 04/23/14 at 16:37:04

Another CD that arrived yesterday...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4748 - 04/23/14 at 19:12:15

This one is a 1956 session that I had already bought on Vinyl and unintentionally now on a Japanese Cd that Dusty Groove marked up $4...I've got to start buying direct from Japan.  The first photo is the LP I bought the second the CD.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4749 - 04/23/14 at 19:58:01

CD #1 of this 2 CD set...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 512
Send Topic Print