Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4750 - 04/23/14 at 20:18:46

Did some re-arranging and removed my second CSP2+ from the main system and ran the ZP3 straight into the Torii MK III. .. which gave me an inteconnect upgrade from Analysis Plus to VooDoo Cable and the sound is a bit better. Surprisingly a bit better than I had thought it would be. Cool.

Right now, the Jackie McLean album "Right Now!" the third lp in this Mosaic set.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4751 - 04/23/14 at 21:11:09

Now the Tokyo concert, during which I usually say "DAMN Tony!" at least once.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4752 - 04/24/14 at 02:20:19

Back home and listening to a little Jarrett...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4753 - 04/24/14 at 03:36:48

Listening to "Nashville," ABC.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4754 - 04/24/14 at 16:19:46

Sorry I've not posted much here in lately...been super busy with work, and only listening to a track here and there...mostly Game of Thrones has been on the Mystery Amp. LOL

However, last night was James Bond soundtrack collection. It was a bit short, but it seemed to a greatest hits of the first few James Bond movies.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4755 - 04/24/14 at 16:57:36

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4756 - 04/24/14 at 17:24:29

I'm listening to the first studio session with Scott La Faro and Bill Evans in December of 1959.  It is 11 tracks on the Evans Riverside box and produced the below LP.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4757 - 04/24/14 at 19:06:57

This is next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4758 - 04/24/14 at 20:41:40

Awesome collection/compilation and the sound is really good for Atlantic.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4759 - 04/24/14 at 21:42:00

Next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4760 - 04/24/14 at 22:03:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4761 - 04/25/14 at 05:52:16

This two lp set sounds better than it probably ought to, the atmospheric sound is just perfect for the ZP3. I haven't ever quite decided whether Mingus' work at this time was a love letter to Duke Ellington or &^%$ YOU Duke Ellington. Just such amazing arrangements.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4762 - 04/25/14 at 14:25:32

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4763 - 04/25/14 at 19:08:50

After work today, I stopped at HPB&R's and picked up a live Concert by Ella in Amsterdam in 1961 on the Solar Records Label. The sound isn't great but enjoyable in the car on the way home.  Below is the set.  Mark.

Date: 18 February 1961
Ella Fitzgerald (vc), Lou Levy (p), Herb Ellis (g), Wilfred Middlebrooks (b), Gus Johnson (d)

a.            Blues in B Minor
b.            Too Close For Comfort  (George David Weiss, Lawrence Holofcener, Jerrold Bock)
c.            On A Slow Boat To China  (Frank Loesser)
d.            How Long Has This Been Going On?  (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)
e.            Heart And Soul  (Hoagland Howard "Hoagy" Carmichael, Frank Loesser)
f.            You're Driving Me Crazy  (Walter Donaldson)
g.            That Old Black Magic  (Harold Arlen, John Herndon "Johnny" Mercer)
h.            Lover Come Back To Me  (Oscar Greeley Clendenning Hammerstein II, Sigmund Romberg)
i.            My Funny Valentine  (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)
j.            I've Got A Crush On You  (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)
k.            Lorelei  (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)
l.            (If You Can't Sing It) You'll Have To Swing It (aka Mr. Paganini)  (Sam Coslow)
m.            Mack The Knife  (Kurt Weill, Bertolt Brecht, Marc Blitzstein)
n.            St. Louis Blues  (William Christopher "W. C." Handy)
All titles unissued      
Omit Ella Fitzgerald (vc) on a.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4764 - 04/26/14 at 00:08:42

now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4765 - 04/26/14 at 00:33:10

next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4766 - 04/26/14 at 01:40:48

This Soundtrack has some Jazz Greats...Love Julie London's version of My Funny Valentine.  There's some Chet Baker, Sarah Vaughn, Flora Purim, Buddy De Franco, Joe Williams and more...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4767 - 04/26/14 at 02:19:59

Next, Charles Lloyd live in Norway in 1966.  You can hear Keith Jarrett doing his thing...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4768 - 04/26/14 at 12:47:55

Starting the morning with another Live set from Charles Lloyd at the Fillmore West 1967.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4769 - 04/26/14 at 13:13:15

Man I love this 60's Charles Lloyd...how could I have missed this for so long?   Mosaic Records should do a 60's box set of his Columbia and Atlantic albums...great stuff.

PS...I just remembered I've got the Chico Hamilton Mosaic Box with Charles Lloyd in the group that  I've yet to listen to...if only I could find it!

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4770 - 04/26/14 at 15:04:02

That's enough Charles Lloyd for one day.  This 2 CD set next...we'll see if I can make it through both before i have to leave...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4771 - 04/26/14 at 16:08:28

Got the new Japanese version of this in and seems like a good time to spin it, as Mark is done with Lloyd. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4772 - 04/26/14 at 16:31:57

Now on to the lps through ZP3 (directly into the Torii Mk III now, and iwth a Furutech fuse):

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4773 - 04/26/14 at 16:58:50

Lon,  on that Lloyd..."Of Course Of Course" is the mastering from the 2007 Mosaic Single CD used?  I see that they both have the same bonus tracks.  Your version would be much cheaper to buy now since the Mosaic is OOP.  Do you have both...any difference?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4774 - 04/26/14 at 17:09:49

Yes, I believe so. The Japanese one only says "2007 DSD" on the obi, no other mastering info. I haven't compared the Mosaic to it directly, sounds as if this one might be a hair crisper, not in a bad way, in comparison from memory.

I've moved on to one of my favorite two lp sets, right now Carmen is saying that no matter how many times Thelonious Monk may be reincarted it seems impossible to imagine him coming back as a cowboy ("The Ballad of Thelonious Monk", written by the amazing Jimmy Rowles). It's a crime that the US cd release of this omits all the introductions and comments, they're awesome.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4775 - 04/26/14 at 17:35:59

Thanks Lon,  I've already "Book Marked" it at the Japanese site.  When i've accumulated about ten CDs I want, I'll place an order.  I'm not going to stop ordering from Dusty Groove but the Japanese CDs will no longer be bought there when i can get them $4 cheaper direct from Japan.
Unfortunately, Of Course, Of Course is not on Spotify but both Nirvana and Discovery were...both from Columbia, so I know I'll love it.  I'll look on you tube for some samples later. I know I'll have to get all of Lloyd's output eventually.  How do you like his newer stuff since about 1990 on ECM.    This now.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4776 - 04/26/14 at 17:48:26

I like some of the new stuff, but to be honest I'm not a big fan of the 21st century ECM vibe and sound and I haven't really liked all the Lloyds that have come out on that label.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4777 - 04/26/14 at 19:00:48

Ruby Braff, Ralph Sutton, Milt Hinton, Mousey Alexander

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4778 - 04/26/14 at 20:00:10

Mono

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4779 - 04/26/14 at 22:04:38

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4780 - 04/27/14 at 12:26:47

A little Metheny followed by more Charles Lloyd...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4781 - 04/27/14 at 13:25:43

next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4782 - 04/27/14 at 13:57:24

this again...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4783 - 04/27/14 at 19:05:57

Back to music.  A little more Tina...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4784 - 04/27/14 at 20:49:35

Now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4785 - 04/27/14 at 21:36:49

Next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4786 - 04/28/14 at 13:38:31

Man am I glad I got this box set. We're into the stereo albums now and the sound is just glorious. The performances are astonishingly good, the man was justly lauded as a master player.

My Mom isn't as big a fan of the music as Dad and I but is being a good sport. Dad's system is really shining right now--the California Audio Labs changer has really surprised me as being a way over the top bang for buck buy, detailed but not dry like many detailed players, very dynamic. The Torii Mk II has just the right amount of old school charm.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4787 - 04/28/14 at 17:07:52

For months I have known I had the double CD 30th anniversary version of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" sitting sealed waiting to be played after 13, 14 years.  I remember fondly, listening to this many times on vinyl as a kid.  This morning was it's time.  Now CD #1 of 2.

Lon, just an update...my HR-1's have moved to "Finishing" and my Torii MK IV has been repaired and will soon be shipped. It had a blown Transformer.  I was a little shocked by the Bill but no one ever said this hobby was cheap...well, at least not me.  Everything will soon be in place with many hours of break in to look forward to.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4788 - 04/28/14 at 18:35:59

this now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4789 - 04/28/14 at 20:00:18

Now, CD #1 of this Live Van Morrison set from 1973...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4790 - 04/28/14 at 20:18:50

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4791 - 04/29/14 at 00:25:35

Now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4792 - 04/29/14 at 01:51:30

now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4793 - 04/29/14 at 11:08:53

Listening to the 2 LP set. The CD also sounds excellent. Get it Raven!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4794 - 04/29/14 at 13:17:21

CD version from the big box set. AWESOME.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4795 - 04/29/14 at 14:08:51

You know me well, Lon. I've already got that one, but just haven't queued it up yet. I'm still playing with tapes. In fact, I found a collection of tapes that has studio/radio station "masters" of Pop and Rock tunes from the '50s through the '80s. I'm just trying to figure out how to dredge up the $2200 for the collection.  [smiley=10.gif]

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4796 - 04/29/14 at 14:28:41

Glad you have that one. . .since you seemed to have missed Valleys of Neptune I thought maybe you'd missed  that one too!

I would probably pay about 20 dollars for pop hits from the fifties and sixties! No matter how good it sounds, it's not my thing. I'm sure these tapes sound great, but I would drive myself nuts trying to find music I wanted to listen to in that format. . . I'm staying clear of R2R--I almost went there some years ago (I'm on record on this forum somewhere a few times way back that R2R can have the best fidelity. But my appetite for music is voracious and I have so much already. just going to stick to those formats.

Right now

Boy, this is a super group. . . and Heifetz is just astonishinly good all the time.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4797 - 04/29/14 at 14:56:29

Surprisingly, lots of master tapes for classical. Jazz seems to get zipped up by collectors. Rock is just stupidly priced. I might have a wonderful choral master tape coming in soon, looking at $100 plus shipping from Canada.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4798 - 04/29/14 at 15:25:19

Lonely Raven wrote on 04/29/14 at 14:56:29:
Surprisingly, lots of master tapes for classical. Jazz seems to get zipped up by collectors. Rock is just stupidly priced. I might have a wonderful choral master tape coming in soon, looking at $100 plus shipping from Canada.

I looked into it some years ago. Just not enough stuff for me that it woudln't be "listening for the great sound." I don't want to become one of those guys. Keeping my vinyl going (blows my mind how good it sounds sometimes, the ZP3 is perhaps Steve's crowning achievement) makes more sense as there is a hundred plus times more out there to buy at five bucks or so a pop.

Man, this Heifetz box set is really satisfying!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4799 - 04/29/14 at 16:24:32

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 ... 512
Send Topic Print